Conditional Sorting in Excel

I have what im hoping is a simple question.  Basically, I am organizing an
event for 60 people and need to come up with table assignments for 4 separate
events.  I am trying to put these 60 people into groups of 10, but I don't
want people from the same cities sitting together and I also don't want
people to sit with the same person multiple times (or at least as well as
possible).  I basically have a 2 column spreadsheet - A is attendee names and
B is cities.  Is there anyway that I can generate 4 distinct (or close to)
lists - each list containing 6 groups of 10?
0
jmp19 (1)

Outlook Tool Bar In Excel Spreadsheet
Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear as a toolbar under view. Hi KathyG Press the mail button on the standard toolbar next to the save button again -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "KathyG" <kgriffith@rc.com> wrote in message news:07e501c38464$c8422540$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the > to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear > as a toolbar under view. Ron, thank you. I canno...

tab button not working in excel
Help! I've done something weird in an excel spreadsheet. I don't know what I did, but the tab key stopped working. I reset the transition key checkmark in tools>options>transition, and now it tabs, but it not from field to field...meaning instead of going from A1 to B1, it goes from A1 to Q1 or W1!! I don't think it is password protected, although I am not the only user to have acess to it. Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Traci If any of the cells are unlocked (Format>Cells...>Protection>Locked = unchecked) and the worksheet locked then the tab...

3d line charts cause Excel 2007 to crash
This is more of a bug report than a question (I've not been able to find a standard place to report bugs in Office 2007, the Connect site is for developer products such as Visual Studio etc). 3d line charts which work perfectly well on a pc with Excel 2003 cause Excel 2007 to hang when opened on my Vista pc with Excel 2007. I hope this is something which can be fixed when Service Pack 1 is released for Office 2007, as it is a very useful chart feature which we (and our clients) use a lot in one area of our work, and it may prevent our clients from migrating from Office 2003 to Of...

Formulas don't calculate until SAVE (excel 2000)
I have a client who insists they have a spreadsheet in which calculations of certain formulas do not occur until they SAVE the spreadsheet. They say it used to always auto-calculate upon entering in data into CELLS but changed to NOW only calculating when they press the SAVE speedbutton. I asked them if they started doing anything new or different? They said they just recently started pasting new columns from anything spreadsheet (provided by another company). It is an inconvenience to keep having to press SAVE. Any Ideas? --Rick It soulds as though Calculate has become manual....

Problem with Excel Links
I have a number of Excel workbooks and I wish to link them to a single summary worksheet. Linking them isn't a problem, however I would like to be able to 'switch off' the links to particular workbooks/worksheets so that I could select which were included on the summary sheet at any one time. Put another way, I want to have all the linked workbooks populated with data and then to be able to select which worksheets 'feed' through to the summary sheet to explore different scenarios. Any help will be very much appreciated. John You can use Edit, Links and change your sour...

Recommendations for an Excel and VBA book
Can anyone recommend a really good Excel reference book? In addition to the Microsoft guides, I have purchased several books and find them either too basic to be of help when the going gets tough, or a little too hard to understand (usually because they use terms and operators without clearly defining their function and/or limitations). Excel 2000 VBA by John Green is the best I have found, but it is just about 1 notch above my understanding in many areas. I have learned more from this newsgroup and the programming newsgroup than from any other source, and you are all appreciated. Thanks i...

Can I insert a box on excel that can be checked and un-checked?
I would like to insert a box that can be checked or unchecked, like a check list showing what is done and what is not done. I was just wondering where I can find that. Thanks Right click on your toolbar, on the drop down pick Forms, should be there Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494386 ...

EXCEL 2003 MACRO Problem
Hi all gurus please help. I have a windows schelduler to open at a certain time and when the cells have been updated the file closes. The problems i'm having it the file stays open and i have to manually close the open file on a weekly basis, the cells are not updated either? Please see my code below: Private Changed As Boolean Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'start with the workbook showing unchanged Changed = False ' create our shutdown timer Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), procedure:="ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close" ...

Excel menus are locked when opening an XLS file using IE
A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing daily an Excel spreadsheet. When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me whether I want to save the file or open the file. When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus. Problem: I can only use the File menu choices; the other menus are LOCKED. Why? I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional. At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine. Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting that I have to teak? Any help is mu...

WORD vs. EXCEL: How to Optimize
Hi all... I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles the math, but is weak with text. Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used. Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the links between the two. Many thanks... /Randy Randy, It depends in part on the layout you want. With Excel, you ge...

Excel 2007 Scatter Plot Freak Out!
I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions: Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl? Is this a feature? It's never done that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application. How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? Not that I need them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels. That way the charts can be interpreted any way they please. Yet another feature? Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one add a 2nd...

how to automate exporting excel worksheet to csv file
Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an excel spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:23:43 -0500, "Bob" <rpl-erroroneous@goldengate.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an >excel >spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. >I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. With VBA, I would do it this way: someWorkBook.SaveAs Fil...

Conditional Formatting #49
Is there a way of doing Conditional formatting, based on more than three criteria? I want a cell colour to change to one of 10 colours depending on the lookup value of another cell! (ie cell A2 will contain a name, and cells A3 will then contain the team, which it has looked up) Thanks Shane ...

Where is the graphics selection pointer in excel 2007?
I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the left end of the drawing toolbar then click and drag over multiple graphics to select them all. Then I could group them etc. What do i do now? It's to be found in - Insert tab - Illustrations - Shapes - select a shape and insert into w/s and immediately the new drawing tools format tab opens up -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Bruce" wrote: > I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the ...

Excel "Insert Comment" Formatting
Hi, Windows XP Home Excel 2002 How can I format the "Insert Comment" .....(open Workbook > right click on a cell > left click > Insert Comment)......in my Excel worksheet? It opens now at Font Size 8. I would like it to open at a larger Font Size and also have the Insert Comment window saved at my chosen larger size (I know how to expand to a larger size but want to save it at that size for next time using Insert Comment in a different cell). Thank you, Larry Larry Start > settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance Tab > Advanced. Select...

Time line in excel graph
I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after the line is the future predicted outcomes. I've tried countless different options and cant seem to find how to do this! Hi, There are various ways of addressing this problem. See the following for examples of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Wilkesy50 wrote: > I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after > th...

tool tip text in excel button
Hi, I have added button inside excel sheet(not vb control). Is it possible to add tooltip text for this? I am able to set tooltip text for vb controls. But i cannot use these controls inside excel sheet. Thanks and regards Duraiswamy ...

excel 2004 column sorting
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I've read up a bit on others' sorting issues, but haven't come across exactly the same problem as mine. I used to be able to sort the info in one column and the corresponding info in the other columns would sort along with whichever column I chose at the first. Now, my corresponding columns don't sort along with my first sort, resulting in inaccurate info. Also, the workbook I am working with contains macros; the workbook contained macros when I first began using using it, i.e. when sorting was no prob....

Trasporting Reports to Excel
When a user exports a Sales report to excel, they get a message saying "unexpected error; quitting" I know to fix this we can make the user local admin to the machine. I dont want to do that. The second fix is giving appropriate permissions to some registry key. I don't remember what key. Can anyone tell me what registry key it might be. ...

EXCEL will not show FONT less than 8
I was having aproblem with Outlook so I uninstalled and reinstalled Office. How when I select a EXCEL S/S with any font smaller than 8 - it does not show. When I tried to type in a small font it gave me a Row Height of 500 !! Anyone ever heard of this problem - I suspect I'll be into installing Office again - but if anyone knows a quick fix it would be nice. BTW I tried several S/S that work on other computers. Thanks for any help ...

Re: combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Option Explicit > Sub Copy_them() > > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > > Application.ScreenUpdating = F...

How do I make a list in Excel automatically go to the top of the .
How can I make an Excel spreadsheet make a list automatically move to the top of the column to the right of the original column when it reaches the bottom? Hi Try something like this Private Sub WORKSHEET_CHANGE(ByVal TARGET As Range) If ActiveCell.Row = 65536 Then ActiveCell.Offset(-65535, 1).Select Else End If End Sub This will activate when a change is made in last row of column you may need to change if statement to suit needs if not activecell Tina "Radio Bill" wrote: > How can I make an Excel spreadsheet make a list automatically move to the top > of the column to ...

Select cell from range based on input in excel xp
I have a worksheet with a table of data in it. Based on user input generated from a pull down box that lists the values in the first column and another pulldown that lists the values in the first row of the table, how do I get the value of the field that is in the field where the row and column intersect? I want to read this value and use it in other formulas. Office XP Gary Once you get those values into the cells, you can use =index(match()) to return the value from the table. Debra Dalgleish's has some notes you may like: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html dingy10...

In excel why does 4E01 change to 4.00E+01 whenever entered?
In excel why does 4E01 change to 4.00E+01 whenever entered? 4E01 is scientific notation for 40 (4*10^1=4*10=40) If you want to keep the cell showing 4E01 (as text), you can either preformat the cell as text or start your entry with an apostrophe: '4E01 Excel information...??? wrote: > > In excel why does 4E01 change to 4.00E+01 whenever entered? -- Dave Peterson ...

Protect sheet against sorting only
OK, I want to protect a sheet against sorting only, eg i want the user to be able to do everything else, just not sort the data. is there an easy way to do this, alternativly is there code that will do the same thing? Thanks Hi A potential solution might be to select all the sheet cells and go Format>Cells>Protection tab and make sure the Locked checkbox is unchecked, then apply Protection but leave Sort unchecked (obviously). Then users should be able to do pretty much everything except Sort. Hope this helps! Richard On 30 Jan, 00:58, colli...@hotmail.com wrote: > OK,...