Conditional Formulas/Formatting - Cell Sum/Subtraction

Here's my problem, based on my example:

I've got a checkmark in cell A1, which I refer
to in the Post Ref Column by "=A1".

If there's a checkmark in the Post Ref column,
then the entry is a balance (Either Debit or Credit).

There should ALWAYS be TWO and ONLY TWO entries.
One under the Debit OR Credit Column next to Post Ref.
The other under Debit OR Credit under Balance at Top
Right of the example image below.

If the Balance is a Debit, there should be two
Debit column entries.  Vice Versa if the Balance is
a Credit.

The next row down, if the Balance above is a
Debit and the entry on THIS row is a Debit, then
Under Balance - Debit, there should be a running
Balance - Debit+Debit.

If the entry is a Credit, then Under Balance - Debit,
there should be a running Balance - Debit-Credit.

If the initial Balance is a Credit, just the opposite
applies.  Subsequent Credit entries would be Credit+Credit.
Subsequent Debit entries would be Credit-Debit.

Examples:

Initial Balance:

Debit - 500
Balance (Debit) 500

Subsequent Entries

Credit - 200
Balance (Debit) 300 (500 - 200)

Debit - 400
Balance (Debit) 700 (300+400)

Initial Balance:

Credit - 500
Balance (Credit) 500

Subsequent Entries

Credit - 200
Balance (Credit) 700 (500 + 200)

Debit - 400
Balance (Credit) 300 (700-400)

If there are NO entries ALL cells should be blank.
If there ARE entries ONLY the affected cells should
have entries - ALL other cells should be blank.

What I'm trying to do is write conditional formats
for the Debit and Credit Balance cells respectively
which conforms to these conditions.

I haven't had much luck so far.

Anyone?

Thanx.

   |                Attachment filename: example.jpg                |
   |Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=362261|

How exactly would the checkmark in the Post Ref column affect your
calculations?

Based on my understanding of your post, it would seem that if there's a
checkmark, then there will be nothing in the first Credit or Debit column.
In other words, only a column under the balance would be populated if
there's a checkmark in Post Ref.  Is that an accurate understanding?

In the meantime, try the following formulae:

Assuming Row 9 is your initial row (i.e. the column in which the checkmark
is located on your screenshot).

In H9:
=IF(F9<>"",F9,"")
In I9:
=IF(G9<>"",G9,"")

Then in H10:
=IF(OR(H9<>"",F10<>""),H9+F10,"")
And in I10:
=IF(OR(I9<>"",G10<>""),I9+G10,"")

If you could elucidate on what function the checkmark serves, I might be
able to refine the formulae to match your requirements.

/i.

"spurtniq" <spurtniq.x4dkb@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Here's my problem, based on my example:
>
> I've got a checkmark in cell A1, which I refer
> to in the Post Ref Column by "=A1".
>
> If there's a checkmark in the Post Ref column,
> then the entry is a balance (Either Debit or Credit).
>
> There should ALWAYS be TWO and ONLY TWO entries.
> One under the Debit OR Credit Column next to Post Ref.
> The other under Debit OR Credit under Balance at Top
> Right of the example image below.
>
> If the Balance is a Debit, there should be two
> Debit column entries.  Vice Versa if the Balance is
> a Credit.
>
> The next row down, if the Balance above is a
> Debit and the entry on THIS row is a Debit, then
> Under Balance - Debit, there should be a running
> Balance - Debit+Debit.
>
> If the entry is a Credit, then Under Balance - Debit,
> there should be a running Balance - Debit-Credit.
>
> If the initial Balance is a Credit, just the opposite
> applies.  Subsequent Credit entries would be Credit+Credit.
> Subsequent Debit entries would be Credit-Debit.
>
> Examples:
>
> Initial Balance:
>
> Debit - 500
> Balance (Debit) 500
>
> Subsequent Entries
>
> Credit - 200
> Balance (Debit) 300 (500 - 200)
>
> Debit - 400
> Balance (Debit) 700 (300+400)
>
> Initial Balance:
>
> Credit - 500
> Balance (Credit) 500
>
> Subsequent Entries
>
> Credit - 200
> Balance (Credit) 700 (500 + 200)
>
> Debit - 400
> Balance (Credit) 300 (700-400)
>
> If there are NO entries ALL cells should be blank.
> If there ARE entries ONLY the affected cells should
> have entries - ALL other cells should be blank.
>
> What I'm trying to do is write conditional formats
> for the Debit and Credit Balance cells respectively
> which conforms to these conditions.
>
> I haven't had much luck so far.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanx.
>

>    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>    |                Attachment filename: example.jpg                |
>    |Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=362261|
>    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

ismits.no (54)
11/19/2003 3:11:27 AM
bump

Hyperlink via indirect cell reference

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Rename Cell
How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? You can't. The closest you will get is to hide column headings, via Excel Option, and then create your own. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "shoe" <shoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBA970DF-D928-41EE-9565-4639E7D49BCE@microsoft.com... > How can I rename column A to read "bills" instead of the letter A? you cant change the headers or row labels but you can define you data as a list (or table) and the headings can then be used to refer...

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Create static text from cell reference

Cell Format #4

Getting contents of adjacent cells

Trouble doing a formula for excel
Hi All I have a spreadsheet with the following A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so I have try mid,right,left i can't seem to do it Cheers "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53AAB904-8595-499F-BF38-8BE00826101C@microsoft.com... > Hi All > > I have a spreadsheet with the following > A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv > > I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so > I have try mid,right,left i can't see...

Formatting #13
Hi How can i have codes in this form 00.00.0000.00, & i wanted to sum to the values below like next code, 00.00.0000(+1).00 I'm tired to format but always sum in the last 2 digits 00.00.0000.00(+1), what can i do Someone can help me Thanks How did you put 00.00.0000.00 in the cell? Did you type 0 and then give it a custom format? If yes, try changing your custom format to: 00\.00\.\0000.00 Then add 1, but make sure that the resulting cell also has this custom format. This is really a funny formatted number with 2 decimal places now. Carla wrote: > > Hi, > How can i ...

copying formulas in vba
Hey guys. I was wondering if someone could help me. I am writing a vba script that takes in data, analyzes it, and then copies the results to a new file. I am having a problem with two things. 1) I am using a template for the new file so there are a lot of formulas (sums and std) already defined and ready to use. However, there are some instances where there is a random amount of additional data I have to put in. So, I have to apply the same formulas to this new data. How do I copy formulas from one cell to another (allowing for a change in row) in vba? Lets say cell(1,4) has the form...

conditional formatting in excel #3

cell selection gone crazy on Excel 2003

Average of logic cells
I used a logic test to determine some levels from raw scores. For EG >120 =5, 119-110 = 4, etc. I now want to dtermine an average score of several of the the results from the logic tests but it doesnt seem to work. (AVG does not recognise cells with logic tests) Can anyone help, please? -- ckdkvk ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ckdkvk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29245 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489704 hi, ckdkvk ! > I used a logic test to determine so...

Excel formula #24
What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of 0 0 #DIV/0! Try =if(iserror(formula),0,formula) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8392DE7F-0B65-4DEE-87F4-985133BB1976@microsoft.com... > What is the formula that brings back a zero for an empty cell instead of > 0 0 #DIV/0! > ...

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Cell References..
I have a 12 month rolling report with a seperate worksheet within th workbook which refers to the column containing current month's Numbers When I "Cut" Column C (which contains the oldest Month) and "insert column C between N & O it shifts my cells left and all I need to do i input all of the current Month Data into Column N. The formulas al remain intact and everything is peachy. Until I goto the Workshee that refers to the Current Month on the 12 month rolling report. My problem is that when I shift the columns on the "Report" workshee it chages the cell...

Use a VBA Macro inside an Excel Cell

Conitional Formatting
Hello. I have two fields in a subform, "User" and "IT Announcement" I would like to do conditional formatting to this effect: On ther "User" field: If "IT Announcement" = Yes then make the "User" field turn blue (I would choose the color blue from the conditional formatting selection. How would you write this? Thanks. Iram/mcp On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:59:01 -0700, Iram wrote: > Hello. > I have two fields in a subform, "User" and "IT Announcement" > I would like to do conditional formatting to this effect: > On...

Excel number formatting #2