Conditional Formatting - find cells containg "+"

Hi

I need some help with conditional formatting.

I'm trying to highlight those cells which have a plus sign in them. Can
someone help with the formula to enter into the conditional formatting
dialogue?

Grateful for any assistance.

Best Wishes
0
Colin

Hi Colin
if the Plus sign + is part of a text string  Select the column range first then
=FIND("+",A2:$A$160) change the range to your needs.
If the + sign is alone in the cell, you don't need a formula, just select > Cell
value is > then select Equal to> and type the plus sign in the third box.
HTH
John
"Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I need some help with conditional formatting.
>
> I'm trying to highlight those cells which have a plus sign in them. Can
> someone help with the formula to enter into the conditional formatting
> dialogue?
>

> Grateful for any assistance.
>

> Best Wishes

0
John
3/18/2010 10:56:36 PM
In article <#tYQG5uxKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, John
<johnd@newlook.com> writes
>Hi Colin
>if the Plus sign + is part of a text string  Select the column range first then
>=FIND("+",A2:$A$160) change the range to your needs.
>If the + sign is alone in the cell, you don't need a formula, just select > Cell
>value is > then select Equal to> and type the plus sign in the third box.
>HTH
>John

Hi John

OK thanks for getting back. Very kind of you.

Since I posted I've dug around and found solutions here too :

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip045.htm

Http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?s=87cf23dcb753db2af180d26b9ea58504&t=109806

Both of these work well.

Best Wishes

Colin

>"Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I need some help with conditional formatting.
>>
>> I'm trying to highlight those cells which have a plus sign in them. Can
>> someone help with the formula to enter into the conditional formatting
>> dialogue?
>>

>> Grateful for any assistance.
>>

>> Best Wishes

0
Colin
3/19/2010 2:09:48 PM
Hi Colin
You're welcome, glad you solved your problem.
Thanks for your feedback.
regards
> In article <#tYQG5uxKHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, John <johnd@newlook.com>
> writes
>>Hi Colin
>>if the Plus sign + is part of a text string  Select the column range first
>>then
>>=FIND("+",A2:$A$160) change the range to your needs.
>>If the + sign is alone in the cell, you don't need a formula, just select >
>>Cell
>>value is > then select Equal to> and type the plus sign in the third box.
>>HTH
>>John
>
> Hi John
>
> OK thanks for getting back. Very kind of you.
>
> Since I posted I've dug around and found solutions here too :
>
> http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip045.htm
>
> Http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?s=87cf23dcb753db2af180d26b9ea58504&t=109806
>

> Both of these work well.
>

> Best Wishes
>

> Colin
>

>>"Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I need some help with conditional formatting.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to highlight those cells which have a plus sign in them. Can
>>> someone help with the formula to enter into the conditional formatting
>>> dialogue?
>>>

>>> Grateful for any assistance.
>>>

>>> Best Wishes

0
John

Alt + Ent No Longer Creates Line Break Within Cell
Good day, Until a week ago, I could use alt + enter to create a line break within a cell in Excel 2007. I am no longer able to do so. When I depress the keys, I get information relative to the shortcuts in the display ribbon. Have I overriden the shortcut? If so, is it possible to reverse the action? How? Thank you. If ALT + ENTER is a shortcut for a macro then it will override application function of new line, as you say it is all workbooks check your personal.xlsb to see if there is a shortcut activated by ALT + ENTER . "ChrsLvsBks" wrote: > Good day, ...

Conditional formatting capability for 20+ conditions not just 3.
I have a spreadsheet that I use to schedule workers. This spreadsheet is setup with conditional formatting for 3 of the positions. However, I have to manually go thru and change the formatting for the others which at times can be over 20 positions. To be able to assign conditional formatting for all possiblilties in the same cell would be great. Example cell contains schedule tasks indicated by letter codes. "I" would display Green background "R" would display Light Blue background "V" would display Medium Blue background "N" would display Yellow...

serious bug wrap text + conditional format
Hi, I have a serious bug to report in an excel file Changing the format to wrap - in one cell only - saving - open again - BANG. Excel "try to repair the file... and I am left naked ! - no more format - no more vba macros - no more formula - ... nothing Aaaaahhhrghhhh ! Two full days of work... and I have the autosave on... How can I post the file to give it as a (BAD) exemple ? and possibly get a fix ? File description: - one column has a data validation pull down menu taken from a named list + a conditional format to set the cell in red if the value chosen is out of the list - the...

Possible to shade cell slightly but that only shows up on screen + not printout? [XL2003]
I have a form that is built in Excel that is quite challenging to fill in because fillable cells aren't always readily apparent. Since it's a form that although filled out on the computer is to be printed out, it has many empty cells that do not require data entry and that are just the "background" white of the document. Is there a feature in Excel that would allow us to colour in those "background" parts of the form in something like a light grey that only shows up on the screen as that colour yet that prints out as clear of colour (white, in other words) so that...

C++ Managed. Where to find sample-code resource??
Hi! -Where to find sample-code resource, about DataSet and using things like DataGrid TableStyle objects, inside VC++ (not in C#). -I use Windows Form inside my project which uses MFC. is there any sample program from Microsoft on the Internet? Thanks in advance. you are in the best place to find sample codes and resources about everything concerning VC++, it is the Microsoft MSDN site, okay here is the url of the page where all the MFC Samples are listed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp? url=/library/en- us/vcsample/html/_core_microsoft_foundation_class_library_ s...

How can a single cell be incremented? i.e. N=N+1
I am able to move a value of 1 to a cell with in a macro. I want to be able to add a value of 1 to a cell with in a macro. Each time the cell is referenced, I wish to increment the cell by 1. I have not been able to increment the cell without getting a circular reference in my attempts to incremetn the cell. The process I use is sorting a table and wanting to increment the top cell so that the least used entries will be sorted to the top each time the macro is called. what does your macro look like? "Remel" wrote: > I am able to move a value of 1 to a cell with in a m...

Replace manual line breaks (Alt+Enter) with two spaces for selected cells
Dear Experts: For selected cells in a column, I would like to replace any line breaks (Alt + Enter) with two spaces using a macro solution. There are cells that have multiple line breaks! By the way: can this be achieved using the bulit-in search and replace functionality as well? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas The return in the cell is code as an ascii character Linefeed which is a 10. In the code below I set a variable to character 10. You can also use vblf. You can use any string method with the linefeed like REPLACE to re...

Ctrl+PgDn disabled after Find and Replace
I have Windows 7 and Office 2003. After using Find and Replace in a Word document, I want to scroll down a page at a time using Crtl+PgDn. In stead of scrolling, I keep getting a message "Word has reached the end of the document. Do you want to continue searching at the beginning?" every time I try. And then it does this for every document I have open in Word. How do I stop this and turn off the Find and Replace after I have used it? Ctrl+PgDn runs the BrowseNext command; what that command does depends on what was previously done in Word (as you have noticed). Do the...

Office 2011 Excel Beta 3+ cell right-click context menu won't work
I've been running the beta versions of Mac Office 2011. Up until Beta 3, I could right-click in an Excel cell and get the context menu as expected. Now, starting with Beta 3 and into Beta 4, I have lost that functionality. Has anyone experienced this? I can't find a preference/setting that would bring this feature back. This is very frustrating and I can't figure out what may have changed to cause this. On 7/14/10 10:17 AM, in article 8980e35e-864d-491e-a5d9-d11a494da5aa@u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com, "Michael Barry" <4mjbarry@gmail.com> wrote: > I've be...

Formating Large (200+GB) FAT32 Volumes Appears to Generate Errors
There are several Knowledge Base articles concerning FAT32 on Windows XP, particularly 314463 and 310525. The Disk Manager will not format a partition as FAT32. Using the HELP text, the appropriate FORMAT command would appear to be: FORMAT <deviceletter>:/FS:FAT32/V:XXX/A=64K/Q This gives the following error message: "This volume is too big for FAT32." Changing the cluster size to 128K (/A:128K), gives the following error message: " The specified cluster size is too big for FAT." Is this a known problem? The KB articles imply that the F...

C or C++ Utility for wrting .doc format
dear all, my final output is to write MS Word .doc file my input is some text and Images . and i have to write using either c or c++ , can you tell me any third party Libs or is there any API provided by Windows or MSVC or .... if there is nothing and i have understand the complete file format and write it as binary file then please help me how can i get the format details and i have Image decoder all ready developed .... so there is no problem of decoding the images Regards, Karunesh >karunesh" <karunesh.ind@gmail.com> wrote in message > me how can i get the format deta...

*insert cell* + 5
Ok, this should be pretty easy for all the excel users on thi board........ You see what I have to do is make a spreadsheet that act as a video rental service........ Now what I need to do is make a macr that adds the price on the specific video on to the total. Now thi needs to happen every time someone clicks on the name of a video in m list box........ Could someone please help me out with this........ Remember this is my first time using excel and it's coursework so it' quite important...... Thanks for any help. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

if cell A is +- 10% of cell B
Hi What is the best way to write if statement to show if cell A1 is 10% greater or 10%smaller than cell B1 thanks Pat Hi Tina =IF(OR(A1>B1*(1+10%),A1<B1*(1-10%)),"Yes","No") Note this excludes equal to +10% and -10% values themselves. Change > to >= to include these values. Regards Roger Govier tina wrote: >Hi >What is the best way to write if statement to show if cell A1 is 10% greater >or 10%smaller than cell B1 >thanks >Pat > > Roger, I believe the phrasing in Tina's request contains an OR, but what she really means i...

Formatting of phone numbers- want to delete +1
I bought a new Microsoft 7 based computer and restored my .pst files to Office 2007 on it. Now all of my phone numbers are formatted with a +1 in front of the 10 digit number. I have researched this issue for 3 days and have not found a solution that works to delete this +1 which I believe is the country codde. Does anyone have a fix for this? The option not to add the country code to new phone numbers has always been here: Actions > Call Contact > New Call... > Dialing options There are very few if any reasons to do so, however. -- Russ Valentine "carolina...

Selecting 2+ random cells
How can I select 2 or more random cells in a spreadsheet? Not adjacent cells but cells that are at different areas of the spreadsheet such as B6, C11, and E16. One way: Sub SelectRandomCell(Adding As Boolean) Dim x As Integer Dim y As Integer Do x = Int(16384 * Rnd(1) + 1) y = Int(256 * Rnd(1) + 1) Loop While Adding And (Not Intersect(selection, Cells(x, y)) Is Nothing) If Adding Then Union(selection, Cells(x, y)).Select Else Cells(x, y).Select End If End Sub Sub test() SelectRandomCell False SelectRandomCell True Se...

Excel +won't +merge cells in a column. Is my formatting blocking .
-- Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards Hi, Rather cryptic message in the body? More details on the cells to be merged and messages returned if any. Cheers, Shane DEvenshire "Blue Heeler1" wrote: > > -- > Blue Heeler1 to Outlook User Improvement community & wizards Ditto Blue Heeler's prob. I want to merge Col. A and Column B. (Last name = Col. A; First name = col. B) I can select both, but where to I find a merge command? The "merge and center" command is not lit up so that won't work. "Blue Heeler...

3 challenges; concequences of activating cell + 2 text formula problems
Hey guys - sorry I slipped on the send-button.... I have some minor issues on my board: 1) Are there any way to delete the cell value in range A1 when activating cell/range A2? - wanted effect is when user activates cell A2 (by click) the value / content inn cell A1 will be deleted. 2) When constructing coordinates as textstrings (X Y Z) by linking values from range B1, B2 and B3 ( the text string will not appear whith 1 decimal format in all positions - not where the value is an integer. Ex: B1=1 B2=2.5 B3=3.4 the string shows: "1 2.5 3.4", but I want it to show: "1.0 2.5 3.4&q...

Search and replace character with <alt+enter> in excell cell
I am converting data from another application into Excel. There are certain characters (representing ASCII 253) that need to be replaced with the value of <alt+enter> which is the internal newline + carriage return for data within a single cell of a sheet. I cannot get the replace function to take the new value. Who has any suggestions about this? In the "Replace With" box, enter: <Alt> 010 Using the numbers from the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function keys. Of course, you *will not* see anything in the box after you enter the code, BUT, don't forge...

VixualC++ V6, DAO and ACCESS 2000 database format
We have developped an application that uses DAO classes with MFC in Visual C++ V6. The databases we used are in ACCESS 97 format. All is OK independently of the OS. We try to upgrade our databases from ACCESS 97 format to ACCESS 2000 format, using directly the ACCESS 2000 utility under ACCESS 2000 environment. Next when using the transformed tables in our applications we get an invalid format error. Digging in the MSDN do not give us some download to upgrade Visual C++ and DAO classes. We are wondering if such an upgrade is available ????? Thank you for some answers. Raymond s...

Selecing cntrl + arrow key to move to next populated cell
Hi, This bugs me about excel, and it leads to mistakes, so I thought I'd ask: When I select Control key plus the arrow key, I thought this skipped all blank cells and took you to the next populated cell. What I've found however is that it sometimes ignores cells with content, and my cursor goes to the bottom of the sheet, leading me to believe that a column is empty when it is not. Why does excel do this? does it depend on the data type of the data in the column? please help, I can't figure it out. thanks, Craig Ctrl-Down (for example) If the active cell is: Empty - goes...

Conditional formatting based on a date + 30 days
I've been looking at this all day and I'm sure there's a very simple answer, maybe a fresh pair of eyes might be able to help me out! I have a spreadsheet (in Excel 2003) which looks roughly like this: A B C 1 Sent Returned Overdue 2 10/12/05 04/01/06 3 20/12/05 4 12/10/05 What I want is, if the item hasn't been returned within 30 days of the sent date, the appropriate cell in the overdue column should turn red. But if it has been returned, or it's not due yet, the cell should stay blank (i.e. whi...

conditional formatting = or > cell reference + 2
I would like to set up CF to change the font color to red if the value (b2:b7) is = or greater than the cell reference (b:8)+2. What is the formula? Ex. only B7 would change to red font. A B 1Chart Dates 101 OR - Place Orders 2Mon 2/15 12.75% 3Tues 2/16 15.40% 4Wed 2/17 16.23% 5Thurs 2/18 14.11% 6Fri 2/19 15.48% 7Sat 2/20 23.01% 8Average 16.16% This is what I have in column B Numbers 5 6 12 24 9 26 18 100 120 I selected B2:B10 and used this for the conditi...

The use of A + when referring to a cell
I was browsing an excel spreadsheet created by someone else and it wa using the IF statement along with nested formulas. The formul actually looks like: =IF(+B14<=$D$5,+$F$4-D14,0) My question is what does the + represent before cell B14. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I think it's a hangover from Lotus 123 users. In excel, you usually start a formula with =. In 123, it was +. Excel is usually very forgiving, but I think it's a waste of typing and makes things more difficult to read. +B14 is the same as B14 in this case. "sjenks183 <&qu...

Conditional Formula based on previous date + 30
I have a spread sheet that caluclates when proposals expire. Date Sent Follow Up date January 13, 2010 February 12, 2010 What I am looking for is for the Follow up date to turn RED when the date is expired (over the date listed). Just use CF with a formula of =B2>TODAY() -- HTH Bob "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66DE65F1-F041-434C-86A7-B13635C6914F@microsoft.com... >I have a spread sheet that calu...

Alt+Down Arrow For Drop Down List Doesn't Work When There Are Blank Cells
How can I get the Alt+Down Arrow for Drop Down List to work when there are blank cells in the column. Thank you so much! Jamie ...