Conditional Formatting Across Multiple Cells

I have data file that I want to conditional format Red/Green fill based on >=
conditional on a single row of data. In Excel 2003 it was fairly simple to
lock a row but not a column and by selecting all the cells to format it would
change the column relative to the cell.  Just having an issue transitioning
to conditional formatting in 2007.

Sample Data
    a           b              c               d
1  goal	10	245	125
2  day1	8	200	76
3  day2	8	250	125
4  day3	15	250	130
5  day4	15	300	150
6  day5	0	100	0
7  Avg	9	220	96

Cells Rows 2 - 7 should be conditional on Row 1 value in the same column
Desired rows to be Red - b4,b5,c3,c4,c5,d3,d4,d5
all others should be Green

I actually have about 500 rows that I want conditional formatted on row 1 so
doing this with a block of cells selected is desired.

Thanks

Got it!
First the green fill.  Can't you fill those a nice shade of green by default
rather than format?
The red thing now.  It's really simple but had me going for a while.
In B2
Select Conditional formatting < new rule < use formula . . < in format
values etc input
=b2>=b$1
format < fill red < ok ok etc

You can now use format painter to extend the formatting to the rest of your
range.

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"stickandrock" wrote:

> I have data file that I want to conditional format Red/Green fill based on >=
> conditional on a single row of data. In Excel 2003 it was fairly simple to
> lock a row but not a column and by selecting all the cells to format it would
> change the column relative to the cell.  Just having an issue transitioning
> to conditional formatting in 2007.
>

> Sample Data
>     a           b              c               d
> 1  goal	10	245	125
> 2  day1	8	200	76
> 3  day2	8	250	125
> 4  day3	15	250	130
> 5  day4	15	300	150
> 6  day5	0	100	0
> 7  Avg	9	220	96
>
> Cells Rows 2 - 7 should be conditional on Row 1 value in the same column
> Desired rows to be Red - b4,b5,c3,c4,c5,d3,d4,d5
> all others should be Green
>
> I actually have about 500 rows that I want conditional formatted on row 1 so
> doing this with a block of cells selected is desired.
>
> Thanks

multiple flyers per page?

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Multiple stacked bar charts

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Multiple Simultaneous Outlook Sessions

Single click selects multiple cells

Fractions Number format

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

Date format 04-11-06

Formatting in CSV
Hi I create a Comma Separated Value file (csv) from my VB application, then open that file with Excel. Excel recognises the commas, and splits the records into separate fields as expected. Can I set properties for rows or columns or cells ? Like bolding, or font size, etc. Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486488 Yes. Even though the .csv file contains no fo...