Conditional Format -- shading ten fields in a row reacting to colu

I have looked through a number of the c.f. posts, and have seen one similar
to what I need from December of 2004 [I'll post below], but it's not quite
what I'm looking for].

I have a status column [E] that has approximately five different phrases
that can go in them.  One of them is:
Completed

And when that happens, I'd like the row it is in [but just the ones that I'm
working with, which are A through F, to be shaded.

Now, from the post below I have seen how it can be done for one particular
row at a time, but I really need to be able to do the whole thing at once, so
that if I set E498 then A498:F498 will be shaded.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated...

FROM DECEMBER 2004
The Question:
>I want to format a row based on the value of another cell. eg If cell N10 >
>25 then fill (hi-light) row 10 (or A10:N10) with red colour.

THE RESPONSE:

Select A10:N10 or the entire row 10 if desired.

Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:

=$N10>25

Note the $ sign must be entered to make Column N absolute.

Pick a suitable red color from the Format>Patterns chart and OK your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
MatthewTap (33)

Matthew,

Use this when you have selected A10:F10, then copy down as far as needed:

Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:

=$E10= "Completed"

Set your shading as desired.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have looked through a number of the c.f. posts, and have seen one similar
> to what I need from December of 2004 [I'll post below], but it's not quite
> what I'm looking for].
>
> I have a status column [E] that has approximately five different phrases
> that can go in them.  One of them is:
> Completed
>
> And when that happens, I'd like the row it is in [but just the ones that
> I'm
> working with, which are A through F, to be shaded.
>
> Now, from the post below I have seen how it can be done for one particular
> row at a time, but I really need to be able to do the whole thing at once,
> so
> that if I set E498 then A498:F498 will be shaded.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated...
>

> FROM DECEMBER 2004
> The Question:
>>I want to format a row based on the value of another cell. eg If cell N10
>> >
>>25 then fill (hi-light) row 10 (or A10:N10) with red colour.
>
> THE RESPONSE:
>
> Select A10:N10 or the entire row 10 if desired.
>
> Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
>
> =$N10>25
>
> Note the $ sign must be entered to make Column N absolute.
>
> Pick a suitable red color from the Format>Patterns chart and OK your way
> out.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Bernie
9/28/2005 11:42:37 PM
Bernie --

Thank you.

But I think I'm missing something [meaning I just don't know something I
probably should]... because I can go ahead and select A10:F10, and then do
what you wrote, adn get it set up for the one row [row 10], but you mentioned
to:

"copy down as far as needed"

and I'm not sure what exactly I'd be copying.... I can copy the row and
paste it and essentially paste it all the way down, but is there not an
easier way to do that?  Or is that it?

Drop me a note and let me know if you could... and thanks again.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> Use this when you have selected A10:F10, then copy down as far as needed:
>
> Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
>
> =$E10= "Completed"
>
> Set your shading as desired.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have looked through a number of the c.f. posts, and have seen one similar
> > to what I need from December of 2004 [I'll post below], but it's not quite
> > what I'm looking for].
> >
> > I have a status column [E] that has approximately five different phrases
> > that can go in them.  One of them is:
> > Completed
> >
> > And when that happens, I'd like the row it is in [but just the ones that
> > I'm
> > working with, which are A through F, to be shaded.
> >
> > Now, from the post below I have seen how it can be done for one particular
> > row at a time, but I really need to be able to do the whole thing at once,
> > so
> > that if I set E498 then A498:F498 will be shaded.
> >
> > Is there a way to accomplish this?
> >
> > Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated...
> >

> > FROM DECEMBER 2004
> > The Question:
> >>I want to format a row based on the value of another cell. eg If cell N10
> >> >
> >>25 then fill (hi-light) row 10 (or A10:N10) with red colour.
> >
> > THE RESPONSE:
> >
> > Select A10:N10 or the entire row 10 if desired.
> >
> > Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
> >
> > =$N10>25
> >
> > Note the $ sign must be entered to make Column N absolute.
> >
> > Pick a suitable red color from the Format>Patterns chart and OK your way
> > out.
> >
> > Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
MatthewTap (33)
9/29/2005 3:52:03 PM
MAtthew,

You can copy row 10 and paste special formats to lower rows, or you could select A10:F1000 and use
the same steps as you first went through.

> Bernie --
>
> Thank you.
>
> But I think I'm missing something [meaning I just don't know something I
> probably should]... because I can go ahead and select A10:F10, and then do
> what you wrote, adn get it set up for the one row [row 10], but you mentioned
> to:
>
> "copy down as far as needed"
>
> and I'm not sure what exactly I'd be copying.... I can copy the row and
> paste it and essentially paste it all the way down, but is there not an
> easier way to do that?  Or is that it?
>
> Drop me a note and let me know if you could... and thanks again.
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
>> Matthew,
>>
>> Use this when you have selected A10:F10, then copy down as far as needed:
>>
>> Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
>>
>> =$E10= "Completed"
>>
>> Set your shading as desired.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have looked through a number of the c.f. posts, and have seen one similar
>> > to what I need from December of 2004 [I'll post below], but it's not quite
>> > what I'm looking for].
>> >
>> > I have a status column [E] that has approximately five different phrases
>> > that can go in them.  One of them is:
>> > Completed
>> >
>> > And when that happens, I'd like the row it is in [but just the ones that
>> > I'm
>> > working with, which are A through F, to be shaded.
>> >
>> > Now, from the post below I have seen how it can be done for one particular
>> > row at a time, but I really need to be able to do the whole thing at once,
>> > so
>> > that if I set E498 then A498:F498 will be shaded.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to accomplish this?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts / help would be greatly appreciated...
>> >

>> > FROM DECEMBER 2004
>> > The Question:

>> > THE RESPONSE:
>> >
>> > Select A10:N10 or the entire row 10 if desired.
>> >
>> > Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
>> >
>> > =$N10>25
>> >
>> > Note the $ sign must be entered to make Column N absolute.
>> >
>> > Pick a suitable red color from the Format>Patterns chart and OK your way
>> > out.
>> >
>> > Gord Dibben Excel MVP

0
Bernie
9/29/2005 4:01:37 PM
I was able to highlight the columns A:F and set my conditional formatting
that way:

Formala = $E1 = "Completed"

It usually translated just fine down through the entire worksheet (although
occasionally it would get "off" by a row--e.g., an update in row 10 would
affect row 11)  I just spot-checked a few rows to make sure it was right.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> MAtthew,
>
> You can copy row 10 and paste special formats to lower rows, or you could select A10:F1000 and use
> the same steps as you first went through.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Bernie --
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > But I think I'm missing something [meaning I just don't know something I
> > probably should]... because I can go ahead and select A10:F10, and then do
> > what you wrote, adn get it set up for the one row [row 10], but you mentioned
> > to:
> >
> > "copy down as far as needed"
> >
> > and I'm not sure what exactly I'd be copying.... I can copy the row and
> > paste it and essentially paste it all the way down, but is there not an
> > easier way to do that?  Or is that it?
> >
> > Drop me a note and let me know if you could... and thanks again.
> >
> > "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
> >
> >> Matthew,
> >>
> >> Use this when you have selected A10:F10, then copy down as far as needed:
> >>
> >> Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is:
> >>
> >> =$E10= "Completed"
> >>
> >> Set your shading as desired.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Bernie
> >> MS Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
BekkiM (14)
9/29/2005 7:08:06 PM
Bernie and BekkiM --

Thank you both -- thanks for sticking with me and giving me another shot at
learning it, which I did when I saw it written another way.

Yes, it helped me very much.  Another one of my Excel questions checked off.

Thanks!

"BekkiM" wrote:

> I was able to highlight the columns A:F and set my conditional formatting
> that way:
>
> Formala = $E1 = "Completed"
>
> It usually translated just fine down through the entire worksheet (although
> occasionally it would get "off" by a row--e.g., an update in row 10 would
> affect row 11)  I just spot-checked a few rows to make sure it was right.
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
> > MAtthew,
> >
> > You can copy row 10 and paste special formats to lower rows, or you could select A10:F1000 and use
> > the same steps as you first went through.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
> >

> > "MatthewTap" <MatthewTap@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Bernie --
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > But I think I'm missing something [meaning I just don't know something I
> > > probably should]... because I can go ahead and select A10:F10, and then do
> > > what you wrote, adn get it set up for the one row [row 10], but you mentioned
> > > to:
> > >
> > > "copy down as far as needed"
> > >
> > > and I'm not sure what exactly I'd be copying.... I can copy the row and
> > > paste it and essentially paste it all the way down, but is there not an
> > > easier way to do that?  Or is that it?
> > >
> > > Drop me a note and let me know if you could... and thanks again.

0
MatthewTap (33)

Message From Field in Folder
When viewing the list of my new messages, is there a way to see the email address of the sender instead of the alias before I open it? In the From column I see "John". When I open the email I see "John <john@johnsemail.com>". I want to see the "john@johnsemail.com" before I open it so I can tell the difference between emails from "Microsoft Support <yourfu@edifyouopenedthis.com>" and "Microsoft Support <someguywhosreally@microsoft.com>" I am currently using outlook 2002 and 2003 alternately based on my mood. Mike If you ...

modify fields
Hi - just started using CRM and have several questions. 1. How do I modify the COUNTRY field? I want a user to be able to type in the name of the country and return and display the 2-letter country abbreviation? Do I have to build a new table for that or can I modify the country field as it is now? 2. How do I apply or change field rules such as case- convert, etc. for either existing fields or fields I create? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me. Cheers Ruthie I think the existing country field is a simple text field. You cannot out any logic behind these fields. One op...

how to format :send picture with message: as a default
each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express for my mail. LYNNY <LYNNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send > picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there > permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express > for my mail. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Highlighting the active row with special colour
Hi there Is there a macro that highlights the whole active row (not only the active cell) that the cursor is in, in an Excel worksheet? Thanks Raj Highlight it in a particular colour, I meant... that would move along when I would move the cursor onto another row.... "Raj Mazumdar" wrote: > Hi there > > Is there a macro that highlights the whole active row (not only the active > cell) that the cursor is in, in an Excel worksheet? > > Thanks > > Raj Try this '---------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Workshe...

enter value based on drop down list of another field?
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with 3 worksheets. In sheet 1, I created a drop down list in column A based on values in sheet 3, column A (item number). Thisd data comes from sheet 3, where I have column A (Item #'s), column B (Item desc)an Column C (price) In column B of sheet 1, I have Item Descriptions and in column C I have price. I want this to automatically fill in based on what I enter in the column A sheet 1 and it should get the corresponding values from sheet 3 column B and C. I can make the drop down list in sheet 1 column B and C, but some of the descriptions need ...

FORMATING COLUMNS..... HELP
I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the data to go into column B -- JTEFUN "JTEFUN" <JTEFUN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C5C7A99-E83F-430E-9576-6D1DB57B9311@microsoft.com... >I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the >data > to go into column B > -- > JTEFUN > If you mean that if a user types a lot of data into the one cell and that when they reach 7 characters the rest of the data is automatically inserted into the next cell, then I don't think you can do that....

Restrickting from field
Hi, When you create new email, you can click option and tick FROM field. It will be add FROM field and you can use address book to pick up any name. Are their any options or policy to restrict this function? Thanks Using Exchange server? This should not be possible by default - someone has changed the permissions. What version of Exchange? Follow the KB 262054 to see where permissions might be set - and remove groups that shouldn't be there. wschoi wrote: > Hi, > > When you create new email, you can click option and tick > FROM field. > > It will be add FROM f...

more than 65,536 rows
Hi Is it possible to have more than 65,653 rows on a worksheet? The data I have does not fit on a normal sheet Harald Harald, Unfortunately, the maximum number of rows on a worksheet is 65,536 rows and cannot be increased. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Harald Bock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6E9402F-92F4-4649-A72C-BC38BE6C89EB@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to have more than 65,653 rows on a worksheet? The data I have does not...

Rows and Columns Settings Problem
How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scrol down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s) -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out XL Help for "Freeze Panes" In article <JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>, JMorgan <<JMorgan.1ad5vf@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How do you set rows and columns in a way that when you scroll > down/column you can always see a certain row(s)/column(s). Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

BULK Conditional Formatting
I've read the posts on conditional formatting for cell colour based o another cell's value (eg. set the conditional formatting to "formul is" and then "=A1>0" and set the colour as red / blue / whatever...) however wondering if I can do this for an entire column withou individually changing the conditional formatting for each cell one b one (as there are over 400 rows). Basically I need a formula that reads the contents of column B for th particular row that is active. Can anyone help -- Rob Moyl ---------------------------------------------------------------...

Automatic Data Entry Script OnChange Event for Date Field.
Hi, Sub: Automatic Data Entry Script OnChange Event for Date Field. has anyone assigned 'Today date'( new Date()) to a custom date filed on the form - OnChange of a Picklist field, I have the following code. DatefiledName.value = new Date(); This assigns, currect date to the field, but then when I save it does not like it. When I manually assign a date it displays in the format mm/dd/yyyy, and saves correctly, so I changed the script to: d= new Date(); s = d.(getMonth() +1); s += '/' + d.getDate(); s += '/' + d.getFullYear(); DatefiledName.value = s; This also acc...

Minimizing Rows of with similar data
I am using Excel 2007. I have 3 columns A, B, and C such as below: TU10-10 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-10.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-11 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-11.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-12 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-12.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-13 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-6 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-6.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-7 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-7.5 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-8 TU10 Tungsten Satin Wedding Band TU10-8.5 TU10 Tung...

Data missing from enterprise custom task fields after migrating
We can see the enterprise task fields, but none of the data is displayed in files migrated from Project Server 2003 to 2007. Any ideas? -- michael Michael: What process did you follow for migration? -- Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs: http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://www.projectserverhelp.com "michaelj" <notreallyme.com> wrote in message news:4BD612D9-D1AD-4FF8-B103-699AB1B54D06@microsoft.com... > We can see the enterprise task fields, but none of the data is displayed > in > fil...

How do I filter rows based upon a column value
I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the rows associated with that agency. Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this? Hi It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look here for some basics: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html -- Andy. "Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eqiU08TVEHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When > generati...

List all row source for all forms, reports etc.
Hi I'm doing some work cleaning out old unused forms, reports and queries. I have been going through each report in a database (There are A LOT), determining its row source query, then marking it for deletion. I will eventually end up going through and deleting all the unused queries. As you can imagine this is time consuming, and I was thinkg 'there must be a FASTER way" Does anyone have a suggestion, or link to a pre-built function or model that could assist me? Regards Darragh On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:14:18 -0800 (PST), Darragh <darragh.murray@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi...

Returning Data from a third cell in same row that meets two other
I'm looking for a formula that will return a result from a cell on a same row as two other cells that meet certain criteria. I'm sure there is a way to do this but i am a novice at this kind of stuff and can't seem to figure it out. For example i want a cell to = what is in column E when column A="36751" and when column B="Total Returns" The spreadsheet has 55000 rows. there will only be one instance where both these criteria are met. i want to use this to create a seperate spreadsheet with just info i need and can update on a daily basis. thanks in ...

Customized picklist fields are not showing up in the preview
hi, can you please help me out in the following situation: i have customized my crm 1.2 system in a huge manner. now all customized picklists do not show up in the preview of e.g. opportunity. opening such a related opportunity offers me the possibility to change the picklist field as wanted. note: all built-in picklist fields are showing up in the preview... tia -- Fritz Theiss Did you publish the customizations? And performed an IISReset? After those actions your changes should be visible. Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Fritz" wrote: > hi,...

Format Problem
I have a report of a crosstab query. I formatted the left column of the report with Text Align set to Right. The report is chopping off the last character of the term, even if I set the Right Margin to 0.5". Doing so just puts space between the right edge of the border and the end of the chopped word I have played with all of the format settings in the properties with no success. If I set Text Align to Left the word is not chopped, but I would prefer Text Align set to right. Is there a way to fix this format issue with Text Align set to the Right? -- Message posted via http://www.acce...

Conditional Statements and Time Format
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I need to calculate a range of time in a cell and display a value in another cell. Example is in cell F2 I have a time displayed of 15:34, and in the calculation window it displays as 3:34:00 PM. In Cell F3 I want to display one of three things, "1st shift", "2nd shift" or "3rd shift". Is it possible to use the conditional statements to give me the value of "1st shift" when cell F2 is between >= 07:00 and < 15:00? I can't find anything that speaks to getting thee range information from time. Thanks, Brian ...

Removing the : in the coment field
When I insert a comment to a field a colon appears. I know this is meant for the user name to appear but I don't want that. In fact, I don't want the colon to appear. Currently I manually delete it from each comment I insert...is there a way to turn that feature off so I merely type in text without having that colon appear?...I am using Excel 2000 Thanks! Kathy You can use programming to insert comments with no user name. There is sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Kathy wrote: > When I insert a comment to a field a colon appears. I know...

Rich Text formatting in Access 2007
In Access 2007, is it possible to add rich text formatting to text in a memo field (or mixed formatting within any text field). I have just upgraded to the new version of Access, and it appears that this feature still has not been added. Is this correct? (If so, why?) If it is not possible to format individual words within a field in Access, , is there a simple, free add-in that will enable Access to do this kind of basic formatting, such as adding italic, bold, and underlining? Thanks very much for any information you may have. Bob Rich Text format for Memos in: Tables - Look in t...

formatting cell in vlookup
HELP I have an excel spreadsheet that is e:mailed to me by my home office. I use the vlookup feature to find the value in cell b from the information in a Proble At times when the answer is N/A and I go to the e:mailed spreadsheet to see if that number is really not there, it is in the e;mailed spreadsheet. If I type over that number in the cell on the e;mailed spreadsheet, then the formula will work in the target spreadsheet, sometimes This e;mailed spreadsheet is at a shared location on a servier, and the items I fix in the e;mailed spreadsheet on my desk top, are not available in any ...

How to get Row # in formula?
I have several rows with the same formula but they are seperated, in some cases, by rows with other information to prevent me from just dragging a formula down to other rows. Ex. While in row 13: B13*C13+B13*D13+B13*E13 While in row 20: B20*C20+.... how can I write a formula to populate the "13" or "20" automatically for whatever row I am in? Thanks, Dave You may not be able to drag it, but if you copy row13 formula and go to row 20 it updates does it not? -- HTH Bob "DaveR" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Extracting a word from a long text field
I have a text field (up to 200 characters) and I need to extract a specific word. The text field name is "MEDICATIONS" and the word I need to extract which might appear anywhere in the field is 'VENOFER'. The word need to be entered in a separate field in a query. Could any one help as to how to enter the code in the query? Thanking you Leo In the criteria I entered Like "VENOFER" Or "Venofer" It seems to work. Will it cause any problems down the line? In other wrods is this an acceptable procedure? "Leo" wrote: >...

Conditions on form calculated textbox
Hello, In a form called Schedule (based on the table Schedule) I have the following textboxes that are bound to the table Schedule: Time In, Time Out, Time Off, Anomaly and Overtime I also have an unbound textbox called HRS that gives me the result of the following equation: =[Time Out] - [Time In] - [Time Off] - [Anomaly] + [Overtime] The above result gives me the daily hours that someone worked. The formating is decimal, as an example. 16.5 (4:30) - 7.5 (7:30) - 1.0 - 1.0+ 3.0 = 10.0 I also added another figure for lunch the hour [16.5 (4:30) - 7.5 (7:30) - 1.0 - 1.0...