Comparing cell values then labeling them based on comparision

Hi. I'm trying to find a function or way to compare two cells and then label
them according to if one cell is lesser, greater, or the same as the other.

I have a large data sheet where I want to compare many pairs of cells and
then have them labeled in this way. For example for each pair where the
second cell value is larger than the first it would put greater, where the
first is larger it would be lesser, etc.

Can anybody help me with this? also feel free to email me at
andrew@metiri.com.

Thanks so much for your help.

> Hi. I'm trying to find a function or way to compare two cells and then
> label them according to if one cell is lesser, greater, or the same as
> the other.
>
> I have a large data sheet where I want to compare many pairs of cells
> and then have them labeled in this way. For example for each pair
> where the second cell value is larger than the first it would put
> greater, where the first is larger it would be lesser, etc.

Here's one way.

Suppose column A holds the first of each pair and column B holds the
second.

In C1, put
=IF(B1>A1,"greater",IF(B1<A1,"lesser","equal"))
and extend downward. (Note that I included the case of equality.)

Customize to your needs.

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

Automatically inserting text into a cell
I have a formula in a cell that reads like this; =IF(A12="","",WORKDAY,(A12,5) In column M I am asking if a report is due Y/N. Can I add to the above formula to automatically insert "N/A" into N12 if there is a "N" in column M? One way: N12: =IF(M12="N","N/A",IF(A12="","",WORKDAY(A12, 5))) In article <39A51AAF-D44A-4356-B20A-71C8AA661338@microsoft.com>, Roy <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a formula in a cell that reads like this; > =IF(A12="","",W...

How can I autofill dates having a blank cell between each day?
Hi Dee, Enter a date in cell A1 (eg 5/13/08), enter the next day's date in cell A3 (eg 5/14/08). Select cells A1 trough to A4 (ie select two dates and two blank cells). See the little dot at the bottom right of the selection rectangle? Click on that (the cursor will change to a cross when you are over the right spot) and drag it down as far as you want. Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

How can you set up a form that the cursor only moves to cells tha.
I have set up a form. Now I want my cusor to move through the worksheet only in certain cells. I want to be able to go from one cell that needs to be filled out to the next cell that needs to be filled out automatically. Example , move from cell a3 to c19 automatically. How can I do that? Hi! You can accomplish that by setting sheet protection. Select all the cells that you want to be able to navigate to then goto Format>Cells>Protection tab. Uncheck Locked. Now, goto Tools>Protection>Protect sheet. A list of options will appear. Uncheck Select locked cells and check...

Delete jpg file based on Access field contents
Hello, What would be the best way to have access delete a bunch of jpg's? I have two tables in mdb format, the main table has 36000 records. When I am done with a record, I move it to a Deleted Record table (using a query and a macro). There are about 1300 of the deleted records that have an associated jpg file. The file size is around 100k, so I have around 130 meg of files cluttering up my laptop. I will never look at the jpg's again. I know it's not a lot of space, but why not have some code get rid of them? So, should I use a button on a regularly accessed Fo...

Determine a cell's width and enter it in the cell
I have several workbooks with multiple sheets that I'd like to have the same various column widths on each sheet. I get it all set up and then one column will need to be wider. Now I have to go to a cell in each column, check column width, and enter it in each cell. I then have a sub that reads the value in a cell and sets the width to that value so that I can copy the row to each other sheet to resize them. Is there a way to automatically read a cell's width and enter that value in the cell? Thanks for any suggestions. As an alternative: you could "group" all the...

Convert Word Table -> Excel without merged cells?
Whenver I copy/paste tables from word to excel, I get merged cells in Excel whenever there are line breaks in the word table cells. How can I avoid this? TIA Steve Saved from a previous post: If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters, then excel will bring them over as separate cells. One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds. I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file): Select your table. Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)...

Deleting Parts of Cells
I have a list of information in a column. All the information has the format of having numbers and letters then a / and more data. I only want to look at the data to the left of the /. So, I would like the data to the right of the / deleted, including the /. For example, I need YYY9/5 to read YYY9. Any suggestions? You could bring it into Excel as a txt file open the txt file in excel Text Import Wizard will appear select >delimited check > other and type the "/" into the box finish you should have a separation where the / was. "GOL" wrote: >...

Transform a Cell from Formula to Number
Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy it to the clipboard, then do Edit>PasteSpceial, click Values -- HTH Bob Phillips "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy the cell. Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com>, "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to...

Stagnant cell for counting filtered data
I want to keep one cell that houses the count of the data depending on how it is filtered and that cell remain visible despite how it is filtered. I can't get the formula =COUNT(C9,C1:C100) to work or get it to stay visible if I change the filter. Place the formula in row 1 that contains your titles...........assuming you have these. =SUBTOTAL(2,C2:C100) the 2, means count If you don't have titles in row 1, place the formula after a blank row below your data. Note: you use COUNT in your original. COUNT only counts numerics. Maybe you want COUNTA which would be =SUBTOT...

Calculate fees based on the percentage given
Based on the example and table in the attachment, I want to calculat Total Cost based on a specific percentage. At first, I need to calculate based on Class 2 minus Class1. The Total Cost is calculated after a fees is entered. I want the steps of calculation (shaded in blue in my worksheet) to be displayed in the worksheet too. How can i do that? Any and all help are appreciated! Thanks, p/s Please refer to the attachment +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: book1.xls |Download attachmen...

Can formulas in cells be made to remain if the data is deleted?
Can you explain in a bit more detail what your question/problem is? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "wendyp" <wendyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A92B0A-E752-4D58-90FF-3DE5F292D35C@microsoft.com... > Hi Wendy, See Insert a Row using a Macro to maintain formulas http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm To simply remove constants from a selection within a macro Selection. SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents To remove constants manually from a selection Edit, GoTo (Ctrl+G), Constans [you can pick what kind ...

compare values
I have a sheet with many rows of numbers. The numbers in each column are supposed to be identical. Is there some way to verify that all the numbers are identical without manually scanning them? Ivor Hi Ivor if by identical you mean A1=B1 then in C1 simply type =IF(A1= B1,"","ERROR") and fill down (double click on + at bottom right corner of the cell) - you can then check out the "error" ones if, however, you mean the numbers are somewhere in the first column and somewhere in the second column but not necessarily next to each other, use the array formula...

compare data in two lists to find matching entries #4
I have a spreadsheet with two colums. Each colum contains an identification reference e.g. Colum A Colum B abc123456 nmg4568987 ahsj45236 abc123456 ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 I want excel to check if the items in colums b are also in colum a and insert either "Match found" or "No match found" in colum c. For example abc123456 nmg4568987 No match found ahsj45236 abc123456 Match found ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 No match found Please help. I've tried everything I could think of. Nothing seems to work. =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$3,B1)>0,"M...

Format Cell (Number Custom)
I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this particular cell. Does any know how to accomplish this? Does Char type 'A' or 'D' mean the characters A or D? If yes, take a look at Data|Validation. It isn't foolproof (users can paste over the cell), but it works nicely for most. barryderay wrote: > > I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this > particular cell. > Does any know how to accomplish this? -- Dave Peterson ...

Finding first empty cell in a column
I need a macro to find the first empty cell in a column and return the column and row number. Any help will be appreciated. ...

linked cell contents not autofitting row height
Why doesn't Excel 2002 autofit row height for text input from a linked cell? When the linked cell contents exceed the currently viewable contents of the recipient cell the row height is not adjusted. Is there a way to make the autofit work in these circumstances? Formulas don't change format and rowheight is a format. You could use a worksheet event that resets the rowheights whenever that worksheet recalculates. If you want to try this, rightclick on the worksheet tab, select view code and paste this into the code window. Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() ...

count table non empty cells
Hi Layout: WXP SP3, Office 2003. I have a table that has checkmarks in some of it's cells (one character per cell) . I want to use a formula field in the last cell of each column that counts the non empty cells (the ones with checkmarks) from that column. Thanx Crios Exactly what are the checkmarks? Are they FormFields as used in document that is protected for filling in forms? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnew...

Set the a differet value of a textbox based on input value
Hello to everybody. In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, etc However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. Is there a way to get always as result 01, 02, 03. This way will help me a lot during the report sorted out by column Thanks for your help and regards John On Sun, 20 May 2007 07:25:07 +0200, John wrote: > Hello to everybody. > In a textbox I shoult type the value from 1 to 9 in the following way: 01, > 02, 03, 04, 05, etc > However may times I type only one digit: 1, 2, 4, 5, etc. > Is there a way to...

Selecting a cell based on counting visible cells from the top
I want to be able to select a cell in column "J" where the row to select is the 3rd visible row from the top. I want to be able to freeze the pane at this point. Filtering is employed on this sheet and it is likely the 3rd visible row down can be any row between 3 and 2400. Thanks, Alan Doesn't this make the data act pretty funny when you unfilter the range? In fact, say you have the same data (xxx) in rows 2:55. You filter to show yyy. You apply your freeze panes. Then you data|Filter|showall. It might be very difficult to explain what the user should do so that they can...

Web based Exchange search public folders?
Does anyone know a solution for searching all public folders in one go, an application that has a web-based interface, which people can access when logged onto the server? I currently use Lookout, but that is a client side solution, and not web based. This is a thing that i would use every day if it exists. Important! Thanks PremP ...

Enable Combo box based on value in check box and list box....
I am working in Excel 2003 As a part of my worksheet titled "Worksheet" I am trying to enable Combo boxes based on the value of a check box and the value in a list box. There will be a total of 6 combo boxes on the Worksheet. The first combo box that deals with the body of a book will by default enabled. The second combo box will be set to appear disabled unless a forms control check box is checked to indicate there will be a cover on the book. The 3rd through 6th combo box will each be disabled by default and will be enabled when the list box which indicates the additional sect...

Format a whole row based on value of one cell
I want to use conditional formatting to colour a whole row of cell based on the value in column C. I understand how conditional formatting works on the single cell yo select, but I don't know how to change the format for multiple cell based on the value of a single cell. Any suggestions? g -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following as an example: - select row 1 - goto 'format - Conditional Format' - choose 'formula' and enter the following formula =$C1=your_value - choose a format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I want to u...

Full cell not printing
I have a cell with 1370 characters. It shows all the text in the formula bar, but when I print preview or print, only the first 1060 (I think) characters are shown. Is this a known limitation, and is there any way around it? Thanks in advance Daniel Hi Daniel, The Excel help somewhere states a maximum of 32,767 characters per cell but only 1,024 'visible'. Solution perhaps: split your story over multiple cells by using Left, Mid and Right functions. Frans "Daniel Bonallack" <DanielBonallack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3002EB3-1F91-4EA2-B...

Change Text Case to Upper in a cell range A2:A92
I have a workbook of Contacts. In column A there are Names. I wish to convert those to UPPER case. I've seen a few VB codes that change the case to UPPER if I change something in the cell, GREAT if I want to go through the entire Column and change something. But is there another way? "Barry" wrote: > I have a workbook of Contacts. In column A there are Names. I wish to > convert those to UPPER case. I've seen a few VB codes that change the case > to UPPER if I change something in the cell, GREAT if I want to go through > the entire Column and change s...