Compare workbooks

Hi, is there a way to compare two workbooks without having
to set a workbook to [Shared] first?

The problem with saving a workbook to Shared is that some
features of Excel are disabled (such as adding/amending
macros, un/protecting and so forth). It would be nice to
still be able to compare a workbook with another to have
differences highlighted.

It seems to me that I might have to use code to achieve
this...

Thanks
Jonathan
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
sharing has nothing to do with comparing?. what are you trying to do?

Maybe have a look at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/whatsnew.htm
search for compare.xla: (http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Jonathan Parminter wrote:
> Hi, is there a way to compare two workbooks without having
> to set a workbook to [Shared] first?
>
> The problem with saving a workbook to Shared is that some
> features of Excel are disabled (such as adding/amending
> macros, un/protecting and so forth). It would be nice to
> still be able to compare a workbook with another to have
> differences highlighted.
>
> It seems to me that I might have to use code to achieve
> this...
>
> Thanks
> Jonathan
0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/7/2004 9:38:27 PM
Thanks Frank,

maybe I'm doing something wrong... but when I open one
workbook then use the Tools menu, compare and merge is
greyed out. The only way to have this submenu option
available is to first share a workbook?

Thanks for the site reference, I'll look check this. The
blurb suggests that it's just what I'm looking for :-)

Cheers
Jonathan

0
anonymous (74722)

Can I list my workbook sheets?
I have an excell workbook in which there is a pricelist sheet for ingredients and a (soon to be) large number of recipe sheets. Is it possible for me to devise a list of recipe sheets from which I can choose the recipe I wish to work on? Also, can I have the user use a form for data entry, not the general one on the Data menu? Thank you for your help. Jenny ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Hi for the second question see: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm -- Regards ...

Excel 2002 Create Workbook (merge/reformat)?
I have 12 seperate spreadsheets I want to combine into 1 workbook (12 tabs). Any other alternative ways to do this other than copy and paste? Need to reformat "most" of the worksheets, I assume this can be done if all 12 tabs are selected. I may have to do this several times otherwise I would just copy and paste. Each spreadsheet has an average of 3k-4k transactions. You can open the workbook, ctrl-click on the worksheet tab and drag that worksheet into another workbook. (Then close that "sending" workbook and open the next...) ~Dave~ wrote: > > I have 1...

Linking 2 workbooks
What is the formula/procedure to link an entry in a Source workbook to an identified name in another workbook? Example: Sam makes numerous donations over time that are entered into the main spreadsheet. Entry of a given donation should automatically appear as a separate entry in his own identified workbook. ...

Open other another workbook
Hi! Please i need help. when i open an workbook i need to automaticaly open another. Thanks for your help. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Workbooks.Open Filename:="the other filename" End Sub 'This is workbook event code. 'To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet '(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), 'select View Code from the menu, and paste the code -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Pasmatos" <Pasmatos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8E268C...

Add/edit Hyperlink in shared excel workbook
I have a shared Excel work book containing many hyperlinks. The users add or edit the hyperlinks every time during the day. The problem is that in order to add or edit a hyperlink one has to take off the shared workbook. Can any one help me out here I want to share the file and add and edit the hyperlinks without kining out other users. Thanks sana This is from xl2002's help: Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks You can access the following features only if you stop sharing the workbook. ...... Insert or change hyperlinks Existing hyperlinks continue t...

Linking to other workbooks
I would appreciate any help concerning links to Workbooks that don't exist yet. I have workbook that compiles the results of other workbooks that are sent in from elsewhere. I can predict the name of the workbook, but I don't want to create a lot of dummy books I have created a UDF to check if a file exists that returns a true or false. unfortunately when I use a file path in an IF statement in a cell excel attempts to locate the file even if the condition is false. I then have to cancel on every OPEN dialog for every book Excel attemps to find. (this ends up being a major...

trying to link data between workbooks and worksheets
Below is what the Excel XP Help says about linking, and it makes no sense to me, nor does it work. How do I really link data between separate workbooks? What I want to do is see the same information in the Destination sheet as in the Source sheet, and keep the info current. Merely copying it won't keep it current. And how does Microsoft get by with writing such sloppy work? Create a link between cells in different workbooks 1.. Open both the workbook that will contain the link (called the destination workbook), and the workbook that contains the data you want to link to (called the s...

What is the exact capacity limit for an excel workbook?
1. What's the largest file size excel can handle? 2. How reliable is excel in a multi user role? Hi #1: see http://www.decisionmodels.com/ #2: IMHO not very reliable -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "tiaop" <tiaop@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4CD2A3B9-80AE-43A9-956A-9118792CDE6F@microsoft.com... > 1. What's the largest file size excel can handle? > 2. How reliable is excel in a multi user role? hi, file size is limited on by the amount of memory and disk spase you have. very reliable. >-----Original Message----- >1. ...

workbook confusion
When I attempt to close a particular Excel file I sometimes get asked if I want to save the changes of some completely different file. It seems to me that Excel is merging two separate workbooks. If this observed behavior is correct, how can I change the behavior so that separate files are not merged? (Or is it me who is confused?) Thanks, E-Jo To clarify my confusion a little: My status bar shows that I have two xls files open. But there is only one shown open on the screen at any time. (I can switch between them by clicking on the status bar icon.) However, I would like to have them bo...

Comparing Multiple Rows Across Multiple Columns from Imported CSV
I need to compare thirty+ rows (companies) across five columns (marketing indicators) and would like to output those companies that appear most frequently in the top five positions across those columns in rank order * Companies are ranked in descending order on Ind_A and Ind_F, * Companies are ranked in ascending order on Ind_B, Ind_C, Ind_D and Ind_E, * Final rank order should be output to output.csv My best effort to date is very log-winded - I would appreciate a more elegant solution, if possible? matekus -- Illiud Latine dici non potest Company,Ind_A,Ind_B,Ind_C,...

Update LINKS when opening a workbook?
Hi Excel Experts, I've stumpled upon a little problem. I will try my best to explain wha I've encounterd. Main Workbook (let's call this MONTHS workbook). - in this workbook, there are various columns (ie, Sales, Operations etc.) - in each column under the appropriate categories, a formula is bein used to gather the data from various files (ie. Sales, Operations etc.) I've used the SUMIF formula. I've verified the formulas worke and balanced. Sales File- in this file, the columns are identical to the MAI WORKBOOK. If a number changes in this file, IT SHOULD change accor...

how to refresh all the sheets in a workbook by macro
Hi I have a number of worksheets in a workbook to which i need to refresh the information Is it possible to do it whith a simple macro?? Maybe its something as simple as refresh workbook? thankyou in advance DARRELL GIBSON wrote: > Hi > I have a number of worksheets in a workbook to which i need to refresh > the information Is it possible to do it whith a simple macro?? > Maybe its something as simple as refresh workbook? > > > thankyou in advance Pretty much that simple. I keep this sub in my default XLA and a button to call it on a toolbar: Sub RefreshStuff() ...

automation with outlook 2007 compared with earlier versions
Hi, I want to go ahead and install Office 2007 on my machine. However I have some VBA code connecting to outlook (mainly from Access) Does anybody know if there are any substantial differences, in other words, how high is the probability my code will still run? (Mainly pumping my contacts from Access to Outlook and linking outlook tasks/appointments in some Access tables) Any good books available yet? Philip Your code will almost certainly run.=20 It will be a few weeks before the first Outlook programming book appears = from Microsoft Press.=20 FYI, there is a newsgroup specificall...

Circular reference error closes workbook
When I one a certain workbook I get a dialog box saying I have a circular reference. If I click OK or Cancel the workbook saves and exits. I can find and deal with circular references but I can't keep the workbook open. Can anyone help? Steve H Just a wild guess.... Try opening excel in safe mode: Close Excel windows start button|run excel /safe File|open your workbook If it stayed open, fix the circular reference and save. Then close excel and try opening it normally. SteveH wrote: > > When I one a certain workbook I get a dialog box saying I have a circular > refere...

cant open Excel 2000 workbook with macros in XP
H I cant open any excel spreadsheats with macros that were made previously the come up saying this has a macro from 4 cant open in high security environmen Can anyone help????????????? Try changing the security settings on the xp excel. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Murray Thompson" <murree@value.net.nz> wrote in message news:BE2D0018-BF40-4EF8-9394-390534E1AFB5@microsoft.com... > Hi > I cant open any excel spreadsheats with macros that were made previously the come up saying this has a macro from 4 cant open in high security environment > Can a...

How to compare an entire column to multiple columns in Excel
I have an excel sheet with about 200 columns and about 3000 rows of data. Some of the columns are repeated with same values. I need to find out the duplicate Could anyone of you can help me finding a formula that compares each columns and identify the equal columns: For example from the dataset given below, column A = Column C as bc as bc a1 e2 a1 e8 c8 c8 c8 c8 r8 t9 r8 r6 Thank you. Regards, PS - =SUMPRODUCT(--(C5:C16=D5:D16))=ROWS(C5:D16) will return TRUE if each cell is equal to the adjacent cell -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com <paveernaa@gmail.com...

How to delete all defined names from a workbook?
Hello How to delete all defined names from a workbook? The Name manager add in is very useful... http://www.jkp-ads.com/OfficeMarketPlaceNM-EN.htm Use the Name manager by Jan Karel Pieterse. You download it here: http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message news:%23fyV1Js5FHA.2576@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello > How to delete all defined names from a workbook? > > Thank you! "sfby" <pnc1962-groups@yahoo.co.uk> ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????: news:113171...

copy a workbook without copying any data
I there a way to copy a workbook without copying any data. I would like to copy all tabs,micros,links and formulas without any data in the cells or notes for the cells being copied. Thank You Hi Rusty, One way: Sub Tester() Dim sh As Worksheet Dim strName As String strName = "ABCD.xls" '<<==== CHANGE ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs strName Workbooks.Open Filename:= _ Application.DefaultFilePath & "\" & strName For Each sh In Workbooks(strName).Worksheets On Error Resume Next sh.Cells.SpecialCells(x...

Formula to count number of days that match, when comparing one date range to another
I am trying to count any matching days when comparing one date range to another. Any formula suggestions would be appreciated. For example: Range 1 Start Date1 Thru Date1 Start Date 2 Thru Date 2 Count Match 3/4/08 4/9/09 3/5/08 3/7/09 formula to show "3" 5/1/08 5/15/08 4/8/08 5/5/08 formula to show "5" Etc Not sure how you arrive at a result of 3 for the first group. There are 368 days that overlap. This formula returns 5 for the second group: =MAX(0,MIN(B3,D3)-MAX(A3,C3)+1) -- Biff...

Automatically open different workbooks depending on user account used.
There are two userrs on the same computer. When user 1 opens Excel, I'd like oen workbook to automatically open. When user2 opens Excel, I'd like a diffferent workbook to automatically open. Is this possible? (Each user logs into Windows usning their uuser account.) The computer is running windows XP pro and Excel 2007. Thanks, Something like this might work for you. This is untested. Post back if this doesn't work for you. Place the following macro in the ThisWorkbook module. You would need to change ThePath to your real path, the user account names for Joe and Bill...

Moving excel workbook with access query to another folder
I have an imbedded MS access query in an MS excel workbook. I would like to send the both the database that contains the query and the workbook to a client. When I send the imbedded query won’t refresh because it looks for the query on my computer. Is there any way to get this to work without having to go into ‘edit query’? Even if there is a wizard or some sort of explorer based function where the user can browse folders? ...

Spell Check in Protected Worksheet & Shared Workbook continued
As it is impossible to unprotect sheets in a Shared workbook does it then follow that it is impossible to use spell check on the unlocked cells within a protected worksheet in a shared workbook? Any advice much appreciated Best regards Dave You have a not so nice reply at your original post. DaveyC4S wrote: > > As it is impossible to unprotect sheets in a Shared workbook does it then > follow that it is impossible to use spell check on the unlocked cells within > a protected worksheet in a shared workbook? > > Any advice much appreciated > > Best regards > D...

Create graph to compare spending (Money Plus Deluxe 2008)
I am trying to compare spending in just one category (groceries) between two different periods, like month by month, this month to last month, or the first 10 months of last year to the first 10 months of last year. I can't find how to do this. I've been able to do it with just a report, but I'd like to look at in graph form, preferably a bar graph. Can anyone help? In microsoft.public.money, Rick wrote: >I am trying to compare spending in just one category (groceries) between two >different periods, like month by month, this month to last month, or the >first 10...

compare areas
Hi.. I need to compare two area containing 3*12 cells, and get number of cells matching in content and placement. Excel 2007 have the compare funksion, but it comes up with an value-error. Excel 2007 norwegian edition. -- Zadig Galbaras (nick) www.tresfjording.com Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:C12=G1:I12)) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "�yvind Granberg" <tresfjording@live.no> wrote in message news:AB4BC473-881E-4628-BD7F-416520A755E6@microsoft.com... > Hi.. > > I need to compare two area containing 3*12 cells, and get number of cells > matching in c...

Can I e-mail only one worksheet in a workbook using MSN Hotmail?