Comments using Validation input

A few days ago a question relating to comments grabbed my attention.
The reply informed us that the comment in question was able to be seen by
clicking the
cell it was attached to and as long as that cell remained active the comment
could be seen.
So we have a comment which is not a comment visible only when the cell is
selected as opposed
to a comment which is visible when the cursor is over the cell. Sounds
confusing but it achieves the result of showing a "floating" comment which
remains in the same place on the screen even when it applies to a cell in a
'frozen' section and the rest of the cols or rows are moved.
I know now that this type of comment is created with the validation
procedure and I have found several opportunities to use it but, I have
another question.

Is there any way of formatting this comment (width,height,font,colour etc)
in a manner similar to what is available for a regular comment ?

As an example
I have a spreadsheet that records data relating to product complaints
Column BQ contains a code number indicating the type of fault (currently 17
groups) and rather than record the text just the code number is shown. There
is a list giving numbers against the fault description but lookup is not
satisfactory. My idea was to have a comment attached to the header cell but
space is limited - the comment needs 18 lines, and the header is only 2
lines which are 'frozen' because as time goes by, the complaint listing
increases line by line and typically can reach 200 - 300 by year end.
The first time I tried it a discovered that fault description 3 which reads
3 Back-Cover Not Trimmed Correctly will not fit in 1 line and it doesn't
matter what I do - underscore between words, no spaces, etc I cannot make
the comment wider (or narrower if it comes to that).

Can anyone suggest how formatting may be achieved

Thanks

--
DonCam65

No, the data validation input message can't be formatted.

You could add a textbox to the worksheet, and display it when a specific
cell is selected. For example, with a text box name "txtMyMessage":

'================
If Target.Address = "$D$1" Then
     Shapes("txtMyMessage").Visible = True
Else
     Shapes("txtMyMessage").Visible = False
End If
End Sub
'=========================

Copy the code to the worksheet module, as described here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html#Worksheet

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
3/29/2005 1:32:55 PM
Thank you Debra
Your solution solves my problem.

0
carcus (1)

How can I generate a user friendly error message when validating XML against a schema?
Hello When validating xml against a schema, the most frequent error I get is something like "The 'FOO' attribute has an invalid value according to its data type. An error occurred at , (25, 913)". That error message is not very user friendly, so I'd like to extract the data in the failing node along with its parent node data, and show that to the user. Do you know a way to do this? I don't think there's any other information about the error position than the line number and position. Yes, line number and position is the only information that you have to...

Duplicating a GP Smartlist for use in Smartlist Builder
Since I can't edit default Smartlist objects in Smartlist Builder, I want to take an existing GP Smartlist and make a copy in Smartlist Builder so that I can edit THAT. Is there any way to accomplish this? As far as I know there is no way to copy an existing SmartList for use in SmartList Builder. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "FatRichie" <FatRichie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC54C0A0-49E5-442E-B089-2F6424DC7FF7@microsoft.com... > Since I can't edit default Smartlist objects in Smartlist Builder, I want ...

How can I read CSV file using VBA?
I have to read CSV file using VBA. I don't want to use macros or queries like transfer spreadsheet etc. because I want to apply certain rules in a module after reading the file. Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201001/1 I am using the following code but one of my field which has both characters and numbers is not importing at all.. How do I handle this? Sub import_csv() DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, "", "Test_CSV", "c:\csv_files\12-31-2009 Test.csv", ...

Using Data Stored on External Drives in 64 bit computer
I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit with Windows 7, will I be able to use the data currently stored on my external hard drives with the new 64 bit computer using Windows 7? Thank you. Hi, On 7 Apr., 18:38, moon <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard > drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit > with Windows 7, will I be able to use t...

Information on assets that are used for bussiness and personal
How can I use your program to designate a porcentage of these type of assets? Exaple office space at home, car for personal use and work? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=88fddc9b...

How can I add transaction while using the online version of money
Ok... when I first bought Money several years ago and installed it on my home computer, I could then login while at work via the passport and see the information that I had entered on my home computer. If I purchased something during the day I could go online and add the transaction which was great way to know at any given moment what my TRUE balance was in my account. Now when I check my Money account online from work I can see all the information I've entered at home but now there is no way to add a new transaction other then from my home computer where I have Money installed. ...

importing text file into excel file using macro
Hi, How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this proces run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doin it. I have attached a text file for your reference. Thanks, An Attachment filename: rdata.txt Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=66130 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com >Hi, >How to import text file into excel file using Macro? Can this process >run on form menu button? Please help and give me some ideas of doing >it. I have attached a text file for your r...

Need to remove data in table due to input mask; cannot close.
ACCESS Table open, unable to close or modify telephone field. Had tried i/p mask of 0 due to "Unlisted" numbers appearing right-justified when doing a report. I sure thought I changed it back to a NO MASK prior saving the table. Now, table is open and I am unable to do anything with that field, even deleting the content, to satisfy the mask problem. Hands seems to be tied in 'catch 22'; I would have thought (!!??) that the table would not have saved properly if the input mask did not match the field contents. I'm stuck! Thank you so much. =?Utf-8?B?b2ZmZXJvY2t...

Excel 2002
....I have a large amount of amount to produce multiple charts from, so using Autofilter is a bit of a necessity. Using the Chart Wizard, I can easily select the filtered data range but it doesn't seem possible to select the (filtered) headings as the X-axis (time period). Any ideas or workrounds? Thanks in advance, Amanda when you set up your autofilter range leave the row you want to use for your axis out of the range. "Birmangirl" wrote: > ...I have a large amount of amount to produce multiple charts from, so using > Autofilter is a bit of a necessity. Using the...

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed
I have Outlook 2003 in Corporate mode. When ever I try to open a JPG attachment, I get the error "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I have tried "repairing" Office, and tried reinstalling the various filters and file formats, to no avail. Any ideas? -- Tim. Tim Munro <Excelsior@Liamtoh.moc> wrote: > I have Outlook 2003 in Corporate mode. Outlook 2003 doesn't have modes. > When ever I try to open a JPG > attachment, I get the error "This action is only valid for products > that are currently installed&...

Using VBA to change default color palette
We currently have an add-in for Excel Xp which changes the default excel color palette so that it displays our companies corporate color scheme. We are wanting to use this in Excel 2007 as well but cannot get it to work. Included is some of the code used for Excel XP Sub companyPalette() On Error Resume Next 'Modify the first row to compnay Primary color Palette ActiveWorkbook.Colors(11) = RGB(160, 0, 80) ActiveWorkbook.Colors(55) = RGB(225, 110, 0) ActiveWorkbook.Colors(52) = RGB(235, 175, 0) ActiveWorkbook.Colors(51) = RGB(180, 190, 0) ...

Best Practices for Development in GP's using Custom Tables
Is there any such document/direction? We write custom solutions for our clients using everything from eConnect, to ..NET etc. Is there a guideline for creating or not creating, custom database tables in GP's productions databases? Cheers, JM ...

Order of Events when using the Control Box Close Button
I would like to intercept the built in messages that are generated by Access about required data when a user clicks on the Close Button. The Close Button is enabled by setting the Control Box and Close Button form properties to "Yes". Does anyone know what the order of events is when using the Close Button? Thanks much! Answered in later post. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "accesswanabe" <accesswanabe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E44530CC-48AE-4134-A896-BFC71F032F68@microsoft.com... >I...

How to use two parameters in input of popup Variables
HI All Gary's Student kindly made some to code to allow input of variables via popup : Dim colstring As String Dim findit As Double, replacewith As Double colstring = Application.InputBox("Select Column ....", "Stage 1 of 3", Type:=2) findit = Application.InputBox("Column Selected : " & colstring & vbCr & vbCr & "Select Value To Replace?", "Stage 2 of 3", Type:=1) replacewith = Application.InputBox("Column Selected : " & colstring & vbCr & vbCr & "Value Selected : " &am...

Open Subform in a New Window using a command button
I have a form with a subform which does exactly what I need. However, I want to someway change the subform to a command button so when you click the command button, it will open the subform using the same filter. My form is frmPatent and the subform is sfRelated. The Link Child Field is RelatedMtr and the Link Master Fields is Matter. Can anyone assist me. Thanks! LDMueller Place a button on the form and try this in VBA: docmd.openform "subformname", acnormal,,"RelatedMtr= '" & me.matter & "'" replace the subformname with your own subfo...

Want to use Excel as a database for small school, how to print out specific fields??
Hi all, I am a volunteer parent for a small school and have been asked to help setup a database of the students (160) and need to figure out how to create a file and print just specific fields for different purposes. I tried the mail merge but didn't get the result I needed, which is just a page of information to pass out amongst the different families. I've looked around but can't find anything that looks like it would do what I need, but I seem to remember that it is possible. so far I've got my column headers and the data entered, but can't do anything with it. The ...

Using get_documentElement cause exception in Application exit
Hi, I am trying to read an XML file using get_documentElement method and I get exception when the application exits in comip.h file (in _Release() method). I am just Loading the XML file and use get_documentElement method: bool CProfileTranslationToolDlg::TranslateFile(const _bstr_t& TrnURI) { // Load XML file. MSXML2::IXMLDOMDocument2Ptr pDoc; HRESULT hr = pDoc.CreateInstance(__uuidof(MSXML2::XML_DOMDOCUMENT)); if (FAILED(hr)) return false; VARIANT_BOOL vb = pDoc->load(TrnURI); if (!vb) return false; hr = pDoc->get_documentElement(&mDocElem); return true; } when &...

Using Outlook with Hotmail
Hello. I've just started using Outlook 2003, after having owned the disc for a while (I only used office for Word prior to this). I use two hotmail accounts, both of which are installed fine. 1) How can I get an audio alert when new hotmail arrives? Surely if Outlook Express provides one, then the more advanced program should too??? This is a mjor thing for me, as I don't want to have to keep checking constantly to see if I have mail. 2) How do I configure my sent items to stay in the right place - e.g. the hotmail sent items with their relevant accounts, rather than in the un...

Address books using nicknames E2K3
How do I force outlook to look at the nicknames of my address book? ...

validation list became not working.
hi, i have an excel with lot of validation lists in severals sheets. while working with the excel i all the validation list in specific sheet became not working.the list are still defined in other sheet. but there is no option to select from the list... please help! thanks in advance.... -- Miri Tz. Do you mean that you have lost the drop-down arrow when you select the cell? If so, does typing an invalid value in still throw an error? -- --- HTH Bob (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct) "Miri" <miri.tzeelon@amdocs.com> wrote in message news:FABA720A-1F25-42...

Accessing Custom entities using webservice
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to access custom entities using a webservice. I am trying to create an instance of a custom entity that has already been established in the CRM. Thanks. ...

Filter by form using a multiselect listbox
Hi All, I have been able to build a query that is filtered by a selection in a Listbox, but now i want to use a multi select list box so that two or more items can be included in the query. I constructed the query pointing to the Listbox but all I get is an empty dataset. How can this be accomplished? As always your help is appreciated. Regards, John Dumay Hi John, For a multiselect listbox to work as a filter you need to create another query based on the listbox. Put this code for execution between the selection of the listbox and running your main query ****Start of code***** ...

Using COUNTIF for a word that is joined by another word in same ce
To make it easy, I am trying to count the number of times the name "Bob" appears in a range of cells. Most of the time, "Bob" is the only name in the cell, so COUNTIF would work. However, sometimes there will be 2 names in the same cell, like this: "Joe/Bob." What kind of formula can I use to count the number of times "Bob" appears in a range of cells, including the times there are 2 names in the same cell? With the COUNTIF function, it is only counting the number of times "Bob" appears alone in a cell within the range of cells. Well, u...

Using Outlook on multiple computers
I'm going to college soon. I have a desktop computer and a laptop. It is very important that both have access to my Outlook inbox. I would love to be on campus somewhere on my laptop with Wi-Fi, download my e-mail, come back to the dorm and automatically have it synch up with my desktop. Also, I would love for my desktop to have it's own .pst file. That means I don't simply want to read off the laptop's .pst file when I'm on my desktop. I would a program that automatically (or w/ the click of a button) synchs Outlook between my laptop and desktop. Do you guys know of suc...

question on "include" in schema files (.xsd). Trouble validating schema in .NET
Hi, I hope someone can please help me. I'm having a lot of trouble with schema files in .NET. I have produced a very simple example that uses "include" to include other schema files. It all works with SPY, but when I pick "Validate Schema" from the .NET 2003 menu, it fails with message: "Type XType is not declared." As I hinted at in my subject line, I suspect that it has to do with including another schema multiple times. Can someone tell me how this should be done? Possibly, SPY or .NET do not conform to the standard. Is there a reference somewhere t...