Comments in Cells disappear after time

A colleague has a spreadsheet with lots of comments in the cells and
apparently after a while the comments 'disappear'.  Does anyone have any
ideas why this happens?  Could it be there is a maximum number of comments,
or do they have a life expectancy?  The sheet is opened in Excel 2000 & Excel
2003 depending on the user.
Thanks for your help.
0
eileenj (1)

Comments don't normally disappear on their own. Perhaps your colleague
is accidentally deleting the rows or columns in which the comments
occur. Or comments could disappear if another cell, with no comment, is
dragged onto a cell with a comment.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/18/2005 12:06:13 PM
I had the same problem of disappearing comments when one worksheet
reached almost 700 comments.

My solution was to divide the worksheet into two worksheets with about
350 comment boxes in each. No more problems.

Ron

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:59:22 -0700, "eileenj"
<eileenj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>A colleague has a spreadsheet with lots of comments in the cells and
>apparently after a while the comments 'disappear'.  Does anyone have any
>ideas why this happens?  Could it be there is a maximum number of comments,
>or do they have a life expectancy?  The sheet is opened in Excel 2000 & Excel
>2003 depending on the user.
>Thanks for your help.

0
mc2835 (6)

Footnote in a cell
Hi, Rather than inputting a comment in a cell in an excel worksheet, I would like to add a 1. inside a cell (which currently has a dollar value inside) and place a corresponding footnote underneath (outside the cell) which would provide an explanation. Can this be done, if not any other suggestions? This is similar to the fineprint we all see advertisements. i.e. (inside cell) 1. 1250.00 (outside cell) 1. This amount includes expenses relating to.... Thanks. You could custom format the cell 1- $0000 You'd have to do it for each cell and footnote reference...

how do I set default font size in Excel comments?
as title - I want deafult font size to be 12 not 8. I am on XP SP1 / Excel2003, but right click / set auto defaults does nothing; in help, about comments shows nothing; troubleshoot comments shows nothing; other help unhelpful. To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK, click OK (Note: selecting a font type here will not affect the default font use...

List in single cell
I need to create a list of items (a menu) in a single cell, but each item below the previous. Each line is not the same number of characters and I would like each item on it's own line. Because of spacing I don't want to merge the cells. Any ideas? Press Alt-Enter at the end of each word.......it will line-feed but stay in the same cell till you press Enter alone. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Libby" wrote: > I need to create a list of items (a menu) in a single cell, but each item > below the previous. Each line is not the same number of characters and I...

Show which cell has MAX, MIN values?
At the bottom of a couple thousand rows of data, I have =MAX and =MIN formulas. Is there some way I could make the cells beneath my MAX and MIN formulas show me the address of which cell has the displayed MAX or MIN value? At least the row number? Ed Ed, To return the row =MATCH(cell with Max or Min value,range starting in row 1,false) or to return the address, say, in Cell N3000, for a value given in N2999 =ADDRESS(MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE),COLUMN(N1)) or to return other matching information, like a name in column A =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(N2999,N1:NN2998,FALSE)) HTH, Bernie MS E...

require cell completion in a form?
I have a very simple form in Excel. I'm not sure if it matters, but the machine I'm on uses Excel 2002, and most of the users are on Excel 2000. The first 2 questions on my form require that the user select from a list of names, and then select their relationship to that person. Then the users answer a series of questions about this person's job performance. I'm using data validation to manage the two drop-down lists - the names and the relationships. However, about a third of my users end up leaving one or both of these cells blank. I have a comment box set up as a remin...

refering to a name range area as a reference value multiple times on a worksheet at different locations
i was wondering if i had posted this in the right section as it could apply to both please could you take a look at the following post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/f088a5737dd26570 thank you Is there some reason you can't post your question here instead of asking us to look elsewhere? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Blinds Nottingham" <bradrail.blinds.awnings@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d8768e43-e035-45eb-856a-0ccdc843441d@g1g2000yqi.googlegroup...

Average range of discontinuous cells
I have a block of columns (P-CT) that I need to average but only every 4th one. Example: I need to average P, T, X, AB, AF, AJ, AN, AR, AV, AZ, BD, BH, BL, BP, BT, BX, CB, CF, CJ, CN, CR. If I just type =AVERAGE(selecting these cells) it gives me 40238 when the only one with a value is cell P. These cells contain dates if anything. They are payment dates. I need the average number of dates it took to pay something. Any ideas for Excel 2003? Thanks. Never mind. I forgot to include my beginning date. It works. Just user error. "Nadine" wrote: > ...

Find certain cell value
Hi, I have a matrix with on the rows dates of stock prices and on th columns stock names. Now I'm trying to find a certain stock price on a certain date. If try to find the stock price of Microsoft on January 1st 2005, how woul this be done. I know how to lookup the stock name and the stock date (using VLOOKU etc.) but not how to combine these lookup functions in order to receiv only one cell value. Tnanks in advance. Ro -- Rob ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RobJ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Last cell with data in a range
I enter weekly data into a spreadsheet with a summary page at the front. After every week, when new data is entered, I want the formula at the front to use the cell with the new data instead of me having to change the existing formula. For example, my data looks like this: A B C 276 300 421 175 0 0 0 I need a formula that will automatically detect the last number >0 in column C. Thank you for your assistance! =Countif(C2:C1000,">0") so your main page formula might be something like: =...

cell validation #3
I have cracked the list in a cell using the cell validation. I have a list of around 30 which is a bit long and could be type in as quick as scroll to find it. Can I do something like this and if so, any pointers please :-) If in A1 I put room 1, can I have a validation from a certain named range (which will mean about 5-8 choices) to selected in B1 then in A4 I put room 2 then a different named range (which will mean about 4-7 choices) will be available in B4. and so on... Hope I explained that okish :-) Thanks in advance. For the Autocomplete question see Debra Dalgleish's site...

display cell value in msgbox formatted as %
Hi I have been trying to come up with a way to display a cell value in a msgbox so that it formats properly as a percent. I have tried: Productivity = Format(Range("A1").Value, "###,# %") Msgbox Productivity This always gives me a leading 0 (e.g 015%) and I want it to display 15.0%. So I tried this: Productivity = Format(CStr(Range("A1").Value) * 100, "#,###.0") & "%" and it works ok but... I want to use the value of productivity in computations - which I can't formatted as a string ... Am I missing something - or is it as simple...

Can multiple cell results be displayed in a single cell?
Is it possible to display the contents of multiple separate cells in another single cell? If the results of several cells say B1, B2, and B3 are the amounts $10, $15 and $20, I would like to display them in cell A1 as follows: $10 $15 $20 I could do this statically by using text and the 'Alt|Enter' function within the cell. However, these amounts will change from time to time so I'd like a link. Is this possible or not? Thanks for any help. Brett Brett One way: In A1: ="$"&B1&CHAR(10)&"$"&B2&CHAR(10)&"$"&B3&am...

Using color to ignore cells in a formula?????
Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore certain cells if you should change the color of that cell to a color. Example: =sum(a1:a50) if cell A25 was blue how can I ignore it so that it is not calculated? Mike A. Hi only with VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm and http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Mike A." <MikeA@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:65C99320-9FE3-4E11-81C2-C262B82B565B@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to set up a formula in excel to ingore cer...

Need help changing cell value when another value changes
I have this code: Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = ("$D$5") Then If Range("$Q$9").Value <> "CA" Then Range("$N$32").Value = "Out of State" Else: Range("$N$32").Value = "In-State" End If End If End Sub I want the value in cell N32 to change based on what I have in cell Q when I enter data into cell D5 and press enter. It only works after I click on cell D5 (after changing d5 and pressin enter) What am i missing -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You ...

Cursor keys move active cell or scroll screen, how do I select whi
When I'm using Excel, sometimes the cursors keys move to the next cell, and sometimes they scroll the screen. I don't like when the screen scrolls with the curso keys. Why does it do this? Is there a settings I can change? Thanks in advance Rob Croft Turn off your scroll lock "Rob Croft" wrote: > When I'm using Excel, sometimes the cursors keys move to the next cell, and > sometimes they scroll the screen. > > I don't like when the screen scrolls with the curso keys. > > Why does it do this? > Is there a settings I can change? > >...

My synchronized emails disappeared after adding a new account
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004F_01CB5135.56C7EAD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I created first an account and I synchronized everything on my local = machine, meaning all messages not only the headers. After doing this I checked if those messages were in my local computer = and they were all there. I added a new live account and I did not even synchronized it. Just = logged in it. To my surprise when I clicked on the first account which was a Hotmail = one, I...

expanded comments on documents
I would like to have the ability to put lengthy transaction descriptions on documents and in GL transactions. Currently, description fields are limited in the GL. Additionally, notes/comments can be lengthy, but report fields for them are limited in the number of characters that appear on the reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Mic...

time calculation
I need to do a check on the time.. if it is after midnight but before 5am then I need to minus 1 day off of the date. How could I do this? Hi If the Date and Time is in cell A1, use =IF(AND(MOD(A1,1)>VALUE("12:00 AM"),MOD(A1,1)<VALUE("05:00 AM")),A1+1,A1) ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** ...shortened versions would be =A1+AND(MOD(A1,1)>VALUE("12:00 AM"),MOD(A1,1)<VALUE("05:00 AM")) ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid...

RMS should allow you to choose more than one item at a time
RMS should allow you to choose more than one item at a time, this would be helpful in creating PO's. Mutiple item selection is a standard in every software; you really dropped the ball with this one. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Connecting Cell with Lines
I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of MSExcel? If it can be done in MSExcel, how? In article <QbYYg.13615$GR.1871@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, "jerry" <jerryc314@sbcglobal.net> wrote: >I have seen MSExcel printouts that have dotted or solid lines of different >colors connecting different cells in a sheet. Is that something that can be >done in MSExcel or would they have been added outside of...

Excel: When printing some cells will not print text in them
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) When I print an Excel 08 spread sheet, two of the cells that have text in them will not print the text in the cell. All the other cells with text prints fine. The text does not even show up on print preview in the print dialogue box. Any suggestions on how to get it to include the text in these two cells? ...

Excel Re-Calc causes network traffic and very slow response times.
Platform: Excel Ver 2003 SP2 Windows XP SP2 Microsoft SBS Server 2003 Workstations: P4 2Ghz, 512 Mb Ram Problem: I have an excel file with hundreds of vlookup and indirect formulas. It has no links to any other spreadsheets. The file resides on a shared network drive on our server. When users do a recalc or change a number in the file causing a recalc it takes about 7 seconds... however after a bit of experimentation I find that if we open the file and then disconnect the workstations network cable the recalc takes less than one second ! Tried saving the file to the local drive of a workstati...

How to "unlock" cell?
I have a spreadsheet that, when printed, fills an 8.5" X 11" page. I added a date at the top, but the format I want to use fills the cell with ######### unless I stretch the cell out... but that makes the spreadsheet print on two pages now. How can I have that one cell, all by itself at the top, be wider than other cells in the same column? -- ************************************************************************ * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ * * "...for the wages of spam is death" * ***********...

increment a cell value, and fix the value
I want to be able to have a "cell" value that can be incremented by say a doller value in another cell, but then have the "cell" value fixed. This is becuase if I then want to change the new "cell" value by different dollar amount, I want to be able to use an incremental dolla amount, and not a total dollar amount. Example: "cell" = $10 Input $2 into dollar cell, therfore "cell" changes to $12. If I then want to add an increase of $4 to make "cell" = $16, I want t be able to input $4 into the dollar cell instead of $6 -- Message p...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...