Combining SUM Function with Nested If Statement

Is it possible to combine a SUM Function with an IF
statement that will allow me to add multiple cells, but
leave the cell blank if the answer is zero?

Here's what I tried, but to no avail.
In cell F5, I have the following formula:
=(SUM(C5:E5),IF(F5=0,"",(SUM(C5:E5)))

Is there something wrong with the formula, or is the
combination of functions/statements not allowed?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Josh
0
anonymous (74722)

=IF(SUM(C5:E5)=0,"",SUM(C5:E5))

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Somecallmejosh" wrote:

> Is it possible to combine a SUM Function with an IF
> statement that will allow me to add multiple cells, but
> leave the cell blank if the answer is zero?
>
> Here's what I tried, but to no avail.
> In cell F5, I have the following formula:
> =(SUM(C5:E5),IF(F5=0,"",(SUM(C5:E5)))
>
> Is there something wrong with the formula, or is the
> combination of functions/statements not allowed?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Josh

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
12/6/2004 4:21:02 PM
Hi
=IF(SUM(C5:E5)=0,"",SUM(C5:E5)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Somecallmejosh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:0e4201c4dbad$54caf9b0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Is it possible to combine a SUM Function with an IF
> statement that will allow me to add multiple cells, but
> leave the cell blank if the answer is zero?
>
> Here's what I tried, but to no avail.
> In cell F5, I have the following formula:
> =(SUM(C5:E5),IF(F5=0,"",(SUM(C5:E5)))
>
> Is there something wrong with the formula, or is the
> combination of functions/statements not allowed?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Josh

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/6/2004 4:21:54 PM
=if(sum(c5:e5)=0,"",sum(c5:e5))

Carlos

"Somecallmejosh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to combine a SUM Function with an IF
> statement that will allow me to add multiple cells, but
> leave the cell blank if the answer is zero?
>
> Here's what I tried, but to no avail.
> In cell F5, I have the following formula:
> =(SUM(C5:E5),IF(F5=0,"",(SUM(C5:E5)))
>
> Is there something wrong with the formula, or is the
> combination of functions/statements not allowed?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Josh

0
nunayo (95)

function keys
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01CA63A4.2F980A00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I recently upgraded to windows 7. I don't know if this is the problem or what but suddenly I can't use my function number keys. does anyone have a fix for this problem?? thanks, bonnie ------=_NextPart_000_00F7_01CA63A4.2F980A00 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4....

conditional summing of arrays
I would like to sumproduct 2 arrays up to the row where it first exceeds a given number. For example assume 2 arrays are as follows : 1,2,3,4,5 & 2,3,4,5,6 the sumproduct is 2,8,20,40,70. So if my given number was say 30, the answer would be 4. if the number was say 80, the result would be NA. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thank you and kind regards JV ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** This can probably be done easier =INDEX(LARGE(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&...

Email of Statements
Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature No, you must use Adobe to use this particular feature. Kind of odd, isn't it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "rcr" wrote: > Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature yes and no. When print to pdf was added - 6.0 i think - there weren't many other options for creating pdf's. OK, now there are. But OK which ones do we add support for? Them all? Support for PDF output must support being able to automatically name the created output file without intervention. And I assume many bu...

Best Approach (psuedocode) for summing structure element values
I'm dealing with an Excel worksheet which allow the user to enter a values into a year/date column and an amount column. If the user enters multiple years then I need to sum the values. I thought this might be easier in VB so what I had in mind was: 1) Create two identical structures (type) of: Type TWSInfo thisYr As Integer thisValue As Single End type Dim TThisWS(rowcount) as TWSInfo Dim TThisSum(rowcount) As TWSInfo 2) Read in each Excel row into the structure 3) Sort the structure by Year 4) Loop the struct...

vlookup from two sources
[Excel 2003] Is it possible to use syntax to perform a vlookup from a source and then another if the first is False? For example, My primary table of data is called "Materials" and my second source is a range A81:E140 on the same sheet as the vlookup, So something like : =vlookup(A1,Materials,2,vlookup(A1,A81:E140),2,False) Can anyone help with advice on syntax? Thankyou, Roger the false in a Vlookup is the mtach type, not an value to use if the formula is false. =if(iserror(vlookup(A1,Materials,2,false)),Vlookup(A1,A81:E140,2,false),Vlookup(A1,Mate...

Using lookup instead of if-statements, how?
Aloha, Here is screen where I try to explain my problem: http://hem.bredband.net/maromb/example.html On sheet 1 I have a ranking list of with diffrent cities, haulier an differnt cost/weight. Sheet1 Weight A | B | C | D | City | Haulier | 0-2,5 | 5-7| 7-10... ____________________________ City1|Haulier1 | 100 | 95| 80 City1|Haulier2 | 110 | 100| 90 City1|Haulier3 | 120 | 110| 91 City2|Haulier1 | 95 | 90| 87 City2|Haulier2 | 105 | 100| 89 City2|Haulier3 | 107 | 105| 88 On sheet2 I have made a VBA User ...

IsIconic function
Hi all, To check whether the window is minimized or not I used function IsIconic. It is OK for almost applications but it has an problem with Excel. In Excel I create two workbooks, each workbook in a separate window. I call IsIconic function and pass the handle of workbook window which is displaying and active to it, the result which this function return is TRUE. This value is wrong because the window is displaying and is active window. Please tell me how to fix this problem. Thanks. I don't have an answer but I can tell you that some more complex software might be doing thing...

Selection Criteria for Statements
When printing statements, no matter what type of seleciton criteria we enter (ie, print only statements for customers with balance > 0) all statements print. Any ideas ? Store Operations 1.2 SP1 ...

Money 2003 statement download problems
I used Money 2003 with no issues for over a year. It's always been cranky, but now it is no longer automatically downloading bank statements. The information for the accounts is correct and it can connect me to the web pages just fine. IN some cases, Money also does not show new information when I download the ActiveStatement Money file manually from a bank webpage. Also, every time I do manage to download a file, Money crashes when opening it and needs to be restarted. Ideas or suggestions? I swear if I have to buy a new version, it won't be a MS product. Maybe the onl...

Missing Graph Functionality
In Office 2003, I used to be able to select the following when formating a data series in a graph: fill effects | shadows This would basically give me shadows on the left/rigt sides, etc. This does not appear to be available in Office 2007. Can I still make this selection? Hi, Are you sure about that selection in 2003. For a column chart the option of a Shadow is available on the Patterns tab. The Fill Effects button displays a dialog with Gradient, Texture, Pattern and Picture. But these are all fill effects and not shadows. Any way in xl2007 you would select the series and then usi...

Nested IF statement #2
Excel only allows 7 nested If statements, is there a way around this? -- jgannon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jgannon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29003 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=487455 Without more information, (Like exactly what are you trying to do that you need more than seven nested if statements?) I can't help you. BUT you might try spreading out your function over more than one column, such that the output of one function gives an incomplet...

If statement with 9 sequences.. problem
Hello everybody, I currently have an IF statement w/8 sequences and it is working properly. I'm doing this for tax purposes. When I try to add one more sequence, it doesn't work. basically I just want to say If B4<529,0. I want it to return a value of zero if cell B4 is < 529. This is my current formula: =IF(B15<943,(B15-529)*0.1,IF(B15<2914,(B15-942)*0.15,IF(B15<3618,(B15-2913)*0.25,IF(B15<4772,(B15-3617)*0.27,IF(B15<5580,(B15-4771)*0.25,IF(B15<8347,(B15-5579)*0.28,IF(B15<14670,(B15-8346)*0.33,IF(B15>14669,(B15-14669)*0.35,0)))))))) P...

Combine Files
Hello, I have a few Javascript files which I would like to combine into a single one to reduce the number of requests. How can I combine all the files into one single file? I added all the files path into a IList<String>. Thanks, Miguel shapper wrote: > Hello, > > I have a few Javascript files which I would like to combine into a > single one to reduce the number of requests. > > How can I combine all the files into one single file? > I added all the files path into a IList<String>. Too little context. Reading multiple files and writi...

why doesnt ar account age if it is marked no statement
what does aging have to do with if a customer's statement? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=193905fd-c73a-4c65-a9b0-6410e0795658&dg=microsoft.public.g...

Graphing STRANGENESS
I am graphing two series of data using EXCEL using a line chart. The first series displays correctly and the second series is displayed as the SUM of the data for the first and second series. Has anyone ever seen this before? What causes this? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Someone far wiser than I (thanks Jon) pointed out that I had a stacked line with markers. Oops! "Barb Reinhardt" wrote: > I am graphing two series of data using EXCEL using a line chart. The first > series displays correctly and the second series is displayed as the SUM of > the data for the fi...

Public folders: query regarding the "synchronize now" function
Exchange 2003 SP2 I have a query regarding the "synchronize now" function for public folders. Say I have a public folder called "Bob" with replicas on 3 servers (ServerA, ServerB, ServerC) If I drill down to Folders/Public Folders Select the "BOB" public folder and select the "Status Tab" on say ServerA, I see all 3 replicas listed as expected: If I right click a replica I can select "synchronize now" what does this do exactly? Does it: 1) Push updates out from the replica where you right click and select "synchronize now" ...

Subtotaling on column with IF statement results
I created a spreadsheet with one column having an IF statement - it calculates how much we should re-order per store based on what was sold. I asked it to subtotal for each store - the formula appears in the cell, but it does not calculate the subtotal. I tried saving the column as the values, but it still does not subtotal. When I typed in the numbers, it DID subtotal. What do I need to do so it will subtotal? Thanks for your help. -- STK By any chance are you importing the data from another application? Check out your numbers: does the cell contain an apostrophe and then the numb...

Embedded Function for a range of answers
I apologize because I know that someone has probably asked this before but I have tried Ecel help and have searched the forum to no avail. I want to create a formula that will give me a specific answer base upon the results of a calculation in another cell. For instance, an this isn't what I want to do, but it is the easiest way to explain it Say that a cell would have a percentage in it, I want the formula fo the next cell to result in a letter grade based upon the percentage i the aformentioned cell. So, say there is an 89% in cell A1, A2 shoul return a "B", but if there is ...

HELP! sum value to be displayed in sheet 2 when data is in sheet 1
How do I do this? any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =SUM(Sheet1!A1:A100) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Muppet >" <<Muppet.18bcuz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Muppet.18bcuz@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I do this? any ideas? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > =SUM(Sheet1!$A:$A) as an example for sum of Column A in Sheet1 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Lookup/match function
With these functions they find the highest value which is less than or equal to the lookup value. For example A B 1 30 2 60 3 70 4 80 5 100 If I want the lookup the 'A' value of 66 it will return '2'. I want to lookup the highest value ie anything over 60 return value of 3. Anybody have any ideas ? Simon -- spgprivate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ spgprivate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35862 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.ph...

How do I sum a range of sub-totals?
I have spreadsheet with various subtotals. I need a grand total at the end, how do I sum a range of subtotal? Why not use the Subtotals feature? http://www.officearticles.com/excel/getting_subtotals_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "Rhiannon" <Rhiannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9F8520C-7C88-4422-8766-9F3F2B581163@microsoft.com... >I have spreadsheet with various subtotals. I need a grand total at the end, > how do I sum a range of subtotal? ...

Incrementing/decrementing column characters using only worksheet functions?
How can I increment and decrement column characters/letters using worksheet functions? I have a list of 5 characters corresponding to columns. The first character might be A, for column 1. How can I get the second character in the list to automatically configure itself to be B, the third C, the fourth D and the fifth E? That is, I want to set this up so that the second character is linked to the first, the third to the second and so on. That way if I change the first character from A to D then the second character in the list will automatically become E, the third will change to F, the f...

"Save As" function issues
Every time I try to use the "Save As" function in Microsoft Word, my PC tries to open a completely unrelated program (AutoManager WorkFlow 6.1 - by Cyco software). I am running Microsoft Office Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6514.5000) on Windows Vista Enterprise (Service Pack 2). Is this most likely an issue with the settings in Microsoft Word, or in the AutoManager Workflow program? Are you accessing Save As with a keyboard shortcut (presumably one you assigned to it)? If so, it may be being overridden by a different assignment to that combination in Windo...

Data Validation and IF Statement
Hi, I have an Excel spreadsheet that handles an expense report. I set up Data Validation in Column A to pull entries from a list: AutoFill Self Full Service. This works fine. I would like to use data validation or an IF statement in Column B s that when "AutoFill" is selected in Column A, another list appears i Column B for the user to select entries from say: BP Speedway Shell I only want the list in Column B to come up if "AutoFill" is selecte in Column A. Is this possible? Thanks, Debbi Attachment filename: expense.xls Download at...

Combining Tables #2
I have two tables with different sets of information, but they have a column in common - the ID number. The tables have differing numbers of rows, ie. some of the ID numbers in one table are not in the other table. How do I go about combining the two tables, so that the ID's match up, and the info from one table is carried to the matching ID in the other table? Sure appreciate your help on this - i'm under a lot of pressure to do this quickly, and cannot afford the time to go line by line matching ID's!!! :-) Thanks! mary trueblood This is usually done with formulas...