combining data into subtotal report

I need to manually enter data under various categories. (i.e. column A will
be Job # and the other columns will contain the counts of various supplies),
creating a very large running total of jobs and total supplies. It is
important to realize that I may enter the same job # with new data more than
one time. Now, I understand how to create subtotals of columns, but I was
wondering if, once I have sorted data by job #, there is a way to create a
fast and easy report that indicates ONLY the column headings and each job's
subtotal. I do not want to see the 25 different entries that it took to
create that job number's subtotal. Any ideas? Thanks!
0
M (187)

If you use the Subtotals feature (Data>Subtotals) to summarize the data,
you can hide the details, and show only the subtotals.

Or create a pivot table from the data. Jon Peltier has Pivot Table
information and links on his site:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm

and there's some information here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
9/18/2004 11:49:57 PM
How do I hide the details?

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> If you use the Subtotals feature (Data>Subtotals) to summarize the data,
> you can hide the details, and show only the subtotals.
>
> Or create a pivot table from the data. Jon Peltier has Pivot Table
> information and links on his site:
>
>     http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm
>
> and there's some information here:
>
>     http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
>
> Amber M wrote:
> > I need to manually enter data under various categories. (i.e. column A will
> > be Job # and the other columns will contain the counts of various supplies),
> > creating a very large running total of jobs and total supplies. It is
> > important to realize that I may enter the same job # with new data more than
> > one time. Now, I understand how to create subtotals of columns, but I was
> > wondering if, once I have sorted data by job #, there is a way to create a
> > fast and easy report that indicates ONLY the column headings and each job's
> > subtotal. I do not want to see the 25 different entries that it took to
> > create that job number's subtotal. Any ideas? Thanks!
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

AmberM (17)
9/19/2004 12:21:01 AM
There are outlining symbols to the left of the row numbers.  You can use the
symbols at the top level to hide/show each level.

Or use the +/-'s to show just that group's details.

Amber M wrote:

> How do I hide the details?
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>
> > If you use the Subtotals feature (Data>Subtotals) to summarize the data,
> > you can hide the details, and show only the subtotals.
> >
> > Or create a pivot table from the data. Jon Peltier has Pivot Table
> > information and links on his site:
> >
> >     http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm
> >
> > and there's some information here:
> >
> >     http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html
> >
> > Amber M wrote:
> > > I need to manually enter data under various categories. (i.e. column A will
> > > be Job # and the other columns will contain the counts of various supplies),
> > > creating a very large running total of jobs and total supplies. It is
> > > important to realize that I may enter the same job # with new data more than
> > > one time. Now, I understand how to create subtotals of columns, but I was
> > > wondering if, once I have sorted data by job #, there is a way to create a
> > > fast and easy report that indicates ONLY the column headings and each job's
> > > subtotal. I do not want to see the 25 different entries that it took to
> > > create that job number's subtotal. Any ideas? Thanks!
> >

> > --
> > Debra Dalgleish
> > Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> There are outlining symbols to the left of the row numbers.  You can use the
> symbols at the top level to hide/show each level.
>
> Or use the +/-'s to show just that group's details.
>
> Amber M wrote:
> >
> > How do I hide the details?
> >
> > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
> >
> > > If you use the Subtotals feature (Data>Subtotals) to summarize the data,
> > > you can hide the details, and show only the subtotals.
> > >
> > > Or create a pivot table from the data. Jon Peltier has Pivot Table
> > > information and links on his site:
> > >
> > >     http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm
> > >
> > > and there's some information here:
> > >
> > >     http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html

> > > --
> > > Debra Dalgleish
> > > Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> > > http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
AmberM (17)
9/19/2004 12:39:04 AM
Use those symbols at the top to show just the totals.  They're little box like
things with numbers in them.  (Directly under the NameBox--to the left of the
formula bar.)

But take a look at the pivottable stuff that Deb suggested.  You can get very
nice summary reports using this builtin tool.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Amber M" wrote:

> What if I have over 200 subtotals? Is there a faster way? Thanks!
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > There are outlining symbols to the left of the row numbers.  You can use the
> > symbols at the top level to hide/show each level.
> >
> > Or use the +/-'s to show just that group's details.
> >
> > Amber M wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I hide the details?

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> > ec35720@msn.com

0
AmberM (17)

Combining columns/rowns of different workbooks + other question
Hi There, Can any one give me a macro/program that will combine selected columns (or rows) of a sheet in one workbook with selected columns (or rows) in another and save the combination in another file. TIA, -GHB Check out Ron de Bruin's site for methods of Copy/Paste/Merge Examples for getting data from multiple books to one book. http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm Maybe this one? http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:15:17 -0800, "Computerguy" <computerguy394-news@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi There, > >Can any o...

Appending Excel data into an Access table while inserting the file name
I have a loop in an Access 2003 database that appends records from multiple Excel files within a given directory. The name of each Excel file cycles through one variable (ImpFileName) as its records are imported, but I also need to add the Excel file name to each record. I wanted to assign the value of ImpFileName to the DefaultValue property of the FileName field in the table as part of the DoWhile loop, but something is wrong with my syntax. My code is below, but only works if I comment out the line that assigns the DefaultValue property. Any help would be much appreciated! Dim tdf...

Treeview format for a report
I want to create a multi-tiered report that's formatted like a treeview. I have items that belong to classes, and the classes can belong to other classes. I need the report to list the class and any subclasses and items that are a part of that class, i.e.: Class 1 Items... SubClass1.1 Items... SubClass1.2 Items... SubClass1.2.1 Items... Class 2 Items... SubClass21 Items... SubClass2.2 Items... SubClass2.2.1 Items... etc. The number of parent and/or child nodes can vary. There's no way to know how m...

Microsoft Error Report on OneNote 2010 Beta: Detail Included
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta OneNote One original notebook and several of the included templates Original notebook is password protected. On startup of OneNote 2010, the first page of the original notebook appears, along with the grey screen where you are supposed to click to enter your password. Before I get a chance to click to enter the password, the following message appears: Microsoft OneNote has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. The information you were working on might be lost. Microsoft OneNote can try to recover it f...

how to write in a dropdown data(Validation)
Please how can i make a data validation (dropdown list) so that the user can type in something if what he/she is looking for is not there? I'm using Excel 2003 but if there is an easy way in 2007 I will like top know. THANKS xl2003 in the error alert uncheck or use warning instead. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com <fynnashba@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4f870aee-3ea2-4eb7-8838-5693eec62ea0@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > Please how can i make a data validation (dropdown list) so that the > user can type i...

Report printing on two pages versus one page
We are on GP 9.0. I have several users that have to swap between 2 printers frequently. When they use the Ricoh printer (a GP non-supported printer), the Job Status/Closing Report prints on 1 page to that printer. However, when they use the HP LaserJet 4300 (a GP compatible printer with the correct GP compatible drivers), the exact same report (same job number/same report) prints on 2 pages. I've tested it on myself and have noticed that even when I display the report the screen (not even printing it), it has this problem. If I have the Ricoh selected under File - Print Setup, t...

Merge/connect cells without loss of data?
Hi everyone, stupid question I did not find an answer for even after a long search: I have an Excel table with cells which contain fax numbers. One cell i a row contains the dialling code, the next cell in this row contains th fax number. For a series-letter I created with Word, these two cells have to b merged into ONE, so Word can read the fax number including the diallin code in "one piece". So, for example, I merge A1 ("040") with B1 ("636465"), the resul should be A1 ("040636465"). But the standard procedure to merge/connec cells in Excel only ...

data append & overwrite by 1 step
Could anyone can help?! I have 2 tables : Table 1 : tbl_customer master Cust_code Customer Address AA001 ABC Ltd 1000, BB Road.. Table 2 : excel_customer update Cust_code Customer Address AA001 ABC JV Ltd 1003, AA Road.. Questions : How I can update table 1’s records base on table 2? i.e. overwrite (if already exist)& append (if record not present previously) Thx a lot in advance. -- aw On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:32:01 -0800, aw <aw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Could anyone can help?! > > ...

Pivot Table Subtotal of Calculated Field Problem
I have created a pivot table for the purpose of viewing revenues by sales person, company and project. I am having a problem with the subtotals due to my use of a calcuated field. PLEASE HELP!! Here is the info: Sample Data Sales Person Company Project Sale Price August Order Qty Sam Company 1 Project 1 $100 10 Sam Company 1 Project 2 $300 5 Sam Company 1 Project 3 $250 10 Sam Company 2 Proj...

Dynamic data selection for charts
Hi, I want to create a chart with dynamic data from a drop down. Like if i select option 1 in the data validation drop down the chart should populate with data from sheet 1. and if i select 2 then it should populate with sheet 2 data. Please suggest a way to do the same thanks sudheera Hi, You need to set up dynamic named ranges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html And here is some information on charting from selected data http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "sudheera&q...

Searching data in a column via Input Box
Hello I am new to Excel VBA and think I have thrown myself into the deep end by trying to produce an advanced spreadsheet. What I am trying to do is have a button on my spreadsheet that when clicked opens up an Input Box, the user can input some data and then it searches a column for the matching input. For Example Input Box > "Hello" I would like it to then search column A1:A20 for the Word Hello. Once found just leave the cell selected and a message box saying the word has been found. If anyone could do this for me I would be very greatful I have tried now for 2 days a...

Trouble managing layout of multiple data containers on a page
When I enter new data on a page, it is always created in a new data container. These containers are all independent of one another, so they can overlap. I want to be able to insert new data onto a page and have OneNote automatically move down all the data below it (even if that data is in multiple containers). Also, is there a way to get OneNote to put everything on the page into a single container, so i don't have to deal with these problems? Thanks, Jonathan Jonathan wrote: > When I enter new data on a page, it is always created in a new data > container. Onl...

Cannot get access to Reports/System Settings in CRM 3
Hey When i click on Reports, i get this error: Error An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator. when i run http://servername/reportserver it is OK. But when i try to access http://servername/reports then The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://servername/reports/'....

Run report without running access?
Hi - Dumb question: To keep it simple, can I create a link or shortcut for a report so that with a click of the mouse the report will show? GWB wrote: > Hi - Dumb question: > To keep it simple, can I create a link or shortcut for a report so that > with a click of the mouse the report will show? You can have it open Access, then your file, then your report. But Access and your file have to be opened. ...

linking data to a graph
I am trying to create a graph on sheet 5 of a workbook for exapmle. How do I link the data from other sheets on the same workbook to create this graph instead of having to copy and paste the individual cells? Thanks. Brian - You can't always do this without summarizing on a single sheet. See this page for details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartDataFromDifferentSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Brian wrote: > I am trying to create a graph on she...

How do I change the width of the data validation list box?
I use data validation to select data entries. The width of the list box is different in some worksheets. How do I control the width to expand when there is longer text in the list range? That box's width is determined by the width of the cell that has the Data|Validation. Can you widen the column? Can you (ugh) merge some cells? Davy Lawson wrote: > > I use data validation to select data entries. The width of the list box is > different in some worksheets. How do I control the width to expand when there > is longer text in the list range? -- Dave Peterson Or, if you ...

One Form to enter/get data in two linked tables with 1 to many lin
Hello, I am a new user with a variant of a contacts database. Table 1 Hospitals, with one primary contact person info. Table 2 Volunteers in the hospital, can be many How would I go about designing one form which allows entry of the volunteer information, assigns an existing hospital or can create a new hospital with the volunteer information. On retrieving a volunteer's information, it must display the hospital/primary contact information. TIA, John On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:09:02 -0700, John L <JohnL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, &g...

About Receiving UDP/IP data Using CAsyncSocket
TO: microsoft.public.vc.mfc FM: yinyzh@sz.cathay.jp Question: In VC++ code, generally Receiving or Sending data is normal through using CAsyncSocket for UDP/IP communication, but sometimes UDP message is not received by my application. and we find that this UDP message has been sent to my host through using UDP/IP detect tool. that's to say, CAsyncSocket's onReceive event is not touch off. So I want to know if FD_OOB option is used when socket is created? Can you tell me what's about this question. and if not, which cause this question will arise. Thanks a lots!! 2004-11...

Pivot Chart
I have a simple pivot chart formatted as a bar chart with category data on the x axis and data on y axis. I want to add a 2nd data item plotted against the same category labels. When I add the 2nd category the labels on the x-axis change to a combination of the original labels from the 1st category (that I want to keep) and some outside labels that are "Count of [new category]" Two points : 1) Can I add the data without the x-axis labels being changed 2) How do I change the field setting from Count to Sum for the 2nd category. Thanks Dean ...

New Tender Summery report
Is anyone can provide some instruction how to add and additional Filter option (batch number) to the Tender Summery report? Thanks. Where is the report. Would be interested in it. "Gerd" wrote: > Here is the report I use to get a total by tender type by batch number. > > > "S Dover" <shauli@usauthentic.com> wrote in message > news:OKVXPUM1FHA.1512@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > Is anyone can provide some instruction how to add and additional Filter > > option (batch number) to the Tender Summery report? > > Thanks. > > &g...

New CRM Reports 07-16-04
Hi! I have truly spent time looking for the answer to this trivial question on the news groups. Using Crystal Reports 9.2.2 I have written a new report for MS CRM. The silly thing is that I do not know how to put this report in production. That is, how do I make it appear in the MS CRM user interface under Reports? !Robert Try the following: Microsoft CRM v1.2 Crystal Update: 834791 This update allows Microsoft CRM v1.2 Report Manager to add, delete, and rename reports even if you do not have Crystal Reports 9 installed. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyID=8151...

Reporting on Responses to Campaign Activities
I am trying to find a way to use a Marketing module in general and Campaign Performance report in particular to run a report with the following conditions: How many new contacts were created as a response of them filling out a form in several monthly journals (campaign activities, in CRM terms)? The goal is to measure the effectiveness of different ads. Forms have codes to help track the issues. No sale process is involved; just need the count of new contacts. Some customizations were made to the campaign response entity to include the appropriate response channel and code. Responses p...

Printing Query Promt Parameters in a report
I have a QUERY in Access 2003 that promts the user for a START and END date. Is there a way to display the inputed START and END date from the QUERY in a REPORT without having to retype it in the report? On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:29:01 -0800, vegman wrote: > I have a QUERY in Access 2003 that promts the user for a START and END date. > Is there a way to display the inputed START and END date from the QUERY in a > REPORT without having to retype it in the report? Let's assume the exact query prompt is [Start Date] and [End Date] Add an unbound text control to the Re...

Data Analysis Toolpak for Student Treacher edition originaly insta
I bought a laptop with the MSOffice 2007 Student Teacher edition as an original installation. I can't see how do add the Dala Analysis Toolpak. Does anyone have any advice please? Office ball > Excel Options > Addins Now locate "Manage AddIns" and select Toolpac best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme REMINDER: These newsgroups are about to die. We will all meet again at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeexcel "pjjenz" <pjjenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

How to prevent stealing data from MS Access?
Hi, If protect MS Access with password it doesn't mean to much. On internet, we can find plenty tools for opening forgotten passwords etc. I have a small aplication wit large amount of data and I can not begin with selling process with protection like that. Is there some solution of problem and how I can protect my data??? or How I can give MS Access data someone to use it, but without possibilties to steal data. Thanks in advance. Mike You can't get industrial strength security in Access, and I understand that Access workgroup-based security has been completely removed from Acce...