Combining cells to create a formula

Hi,

I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula

B1 = sum
B2 = d3
b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")"
D3 = 10

The result in b3 is :   sum(d3)

How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3.

I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two cells is more complicated than explained here.

Thanks
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi

I think you are perhaps looking for the Indirect function
=INDIRECT("D"&ROW(3:3))
would return the value contained in D3
As you copy down, the formula would alter to 4, 5 etc. represent D4, D5 etc.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"JYG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula
>
> B1 = sum
> B2 = d3
> b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")"
> D3 = 10
>
> The result in b3 is :   sum(d3)
>
> How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3.
>
> I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two
cells is more complicated than explained here.

> Thanks

0
roger1109 (65)
1/28/2004 9:49:09 PM
Thanks Roger,
In fact I am trying QuoteCat from QuoteCat.com.

It's purpose is to provide quotes from the sock market.

Here is a sample to get Nortel's quote :

=QCAT|Yahoo!NT.TO\P

The \P is to get the price, there can be different
information that we can get.

Focusing on the part NT.TO wich represent the stock quote,
I want to have a formula that will take this information
from an adjacent cell. In that fashion I can simply copy
and paste all the quotes I want without have to retype the
hole thing for each quotes.

Exemple :
     A               B
1    NT.TO         =QCAT|Yahoo!&A1&\P
2    AC.TO         =QCAT|Yahoo!&A2&\P
3    QTC.TO        =QCAT|Yahoo!&A3&\P

The results in column B should be the price of the stock
indicated in column A.

Thanks

0
anonymous (74722)
1/28/2004 11:48:06 PM
Hi

Try
=INDIRECT("QCAT|Yahoo!"&A1&"\P")

--
> Thanks Roger,
> In fact I am trying QuoteCat from QuoteCat.com.
>
> It's purpose is to provide quotes from the sock market.
>
> Here is a sample to get Nortel's quote :
>
> =QCAT|Yahoo!NT.TO\P
>
> The \P is to get the price, there can be different
> information that we can get.
>
> Focusing on the part NT.TO wich represent the stock quote,
> I want to have a formula that will take this information
> from an adjacent cell. In that fashion I can simply copy
> and paste all the quotes I want without have to retype the
> hole thing for each quotes.
>
> Exemple :
>      A               B
> 1    NT.TO         =QCAT|Yahoo!&A1&\P
> 2    AC.TO         =QCAT|Yahoo!&A2&\P
> 3    QTC.TO        =QCAT|Yahoo!&A3&\P
>
> The results in column B should be the price of the stock
> indicated in column A.
>
> Thanks

0
roger1109 (65)