Combine part of text from one col to another

I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th
text of another column.
For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network.  If col
has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an
combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column.

Thanks in advance

Try this:

--

HTH,

RD

=B1&LEFT(A1)

"epac135 >" <<epac135.1710sh@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all the
text of another column.
For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network.  If col1
has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 and
combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column.

Thanks in advance.

---

ragdyer1 (4060)
5/29/2004 5:13:14 PM
Hi
try
=B1 & LEFT(A1,1)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all
> the text of another column.
> For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network.  If
> col1 has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1
> and combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> ---
frank.kabel (11126)
5/29/2004 5:20:20 PM
I also need to change the case of the usernames I now have.  I have th
formula to combine the 2 cols to create a username such as SmithJ
however I don't want the S or the J to be capitalized.  I'm not sur
how it works to have 2 formulas in the same col.

Thanks for the hel

Hi
try
=B1 & LOWER(LEFT(A1,1))

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I also need to change the case of the usernames I now have.  I have
> the formula to combine the 2 cols to create a username such as
SmithJ,
> however I don't want the S or the J to be capitalized.  I'm not sure
> how it works to have 2 formulas in the same col.
>
> Thanks for the help
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/30/2004 1:44:36 PM
Hi,

try,

=LOWER(B1&LEFT(A1,1))

Hope this helps!

In article <epac135.172l8r@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 epac135 <<epac135.172l8r@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote:

> I also need to change the case of the usernames I now have.  I have the
> formula to combine the 2 cols to create a username such as SmithJ,
> however I don't want the S or the J to be capitalized.  I'm not sure
> how it works to have 2 formulas in the same col.
>
> Thanks for the help
>

> ---
domenic22 (716)

How does one view a document created in Publisher.
I have gotten a document (calendar) in .pub format. Word does not recognize it. Is there a viewer? What's the link? I have Office 2000 with the converters installed. Collins wrote: >I have gotten a document (calendar) in .pub format. Word > does not recognize it. Is there a viewer? What's the > link? I have Office 2000 with the converters installed. ==================================== There is no viewer for Publisher files. Maybe you could ask the sender to convert it to a .pdf file. Or you could order the Trial version of Pub2003... which will still function as a viewer a...

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

perpetually loading text
my mailbox shows the subject and sender but the message area of the page is blank and the hourglass icon shows constantly as though it is downloading the message but it never loads. This happens even with emails i have already read before this problem started a week ago. Thanks for any input. ...

Get $500 to your PAYPAL Account by just one CLICK)

Changing a text field to a date field
Hi I know this is a problem for lots of people but I still cant find an answer. I have imported a text file into excel with a number field that displays credit card expiry dates as a 4 digit number. example 0408 so month + year. I have converted the number field to a text field so it doesnt drop off the first zero and now I need to convert it to a date field. Any nice easy simple ideas. Any help would be much appreaciated. Or direction to a question the same. Perhaps =DATE(100+RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2),1) format as date -- daddylonglegs --------------------------------------------...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

recording merger with combination cash & shares
I owned Company A stock. Its shares were merged into Company B. The terms of the merger were that for each share of company A, I received ..1906 shares of Company B plus $16.50. How should I record this in Money 2003? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090004080308090304020802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I tried a "return of capital" for the cash portion but Money 2003 deluxe voided the transaction after I entered the merger. So I lied and did the return of capital the day before. The probl...

Bar Chart (2D) won't let me 'gap' one bar behind the other?

And introducing... The Default Text Box Add-in!!
Default Text Box for Publisher 2002/2003 allows you to save defaults for text boxes in Publisher 2002 (which before now has been impossible) and to save these defaults for use in future publications (which isn't even possible with Publisher 2003!) Download it now from http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/Publisher/add-ins.htm Go on, give it a go - it's free! -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm I don't want add-ons for 2002 - I want 2003! "Ed Bennett" <...

Re-Generating Parts of the Schema
Hi All, I just moved our CRM 1.2 install to a new server. Oh boy what a hassle that was, loads of errors and stuff to get over. The problem I'm having now is that whenever I attempt to change queue details, user details, Product Groups (basically anything you cant change or add to through deployment manager) I get an "Error has occurred, please contact your admin" error message. I had this before for pretty much very entitiy (cases etc) in CRM but a publish of a previous schema save through deployment manager sorted this out, but alas not these aspects. Here is the event view...

Text Boxes
Hi, I am currently using Excel in Office XP. I have created a small 'Text Box', but have a lot of text in it and I do not want to make the 'Text Box' any bigger. Is there any way that I can place 'Scroll Bars' on the 'Text Box' ? Regards Tappie Hi Tappie A textbox from the Controls Toolbox has a Scrollbars property. A textbox from the Drawing toolbar doesn't. HTH. best wishes Harald "Tappie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:2890e01c463ff$f1d86ec0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am currently using ...

How do I link one database inside another?
I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open another database. Thanks. Why? As in "why open a separate database?" Would it be sufficient to have the tables from both databases linked into a common front-end file? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "julrankay" <julrankay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6DEF9FE-C983-4503-BCD8-75FF0354A533@microsoft.com... > I am wanting to be able to click on a button in one database and open > another database. Thanks. > if you used Access Data Projects then...

Text formatted email
I am trying to email a long hyperlink path to some one that can only receive text formatted emails. When they receive the email it, the hyperlink gets converted in to 2 lines, top line is a hyperlink (path incomplete) the second line is "text" with the balance of the hyperlink path. I placed < > around the hyperlink and it still splits in to 2 lines. Is there any way to keep the full link path intact? Thanks! jvs Tiny URL to the rescue! :-) http://tinyurl.com/ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Cr...

not repeating text boxes in reports with columns
Hello, I am trying to create a report with columns without repeating certain text boxes. Here is an example of what I would like to create: [Date] "Month1" [Date] "Month2" [Date] "Month3" [Product] "Product1": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product2": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product3": [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [quantity] [value] [Product] "Product4": [q...

Detecting Case of Text in a Cell
Hi All I know it's possible to change the case of text in a cell in Excel using Lower, Upper and Proper, but is there a function that tells me the current case of the text? A user has a spreadsheet of catalogue items, some in proper case and some in upper. He wants to seperate those in upper case into a separate sheet but I can't think of an easy way of doing it. Can anyone help? Colin -- Colin Vicary ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10472 View this...

Combine and Decode #2
Hi Microsoft Office Software Support Group, I have searched the interne (well Google anyway) for the answer to this problem I�m having wit Outlook, and it seems I am not alone. Several of the results bring m to this forum alas none to the solution. Perhaps it�s the way in whic the question is being asked? So to deliberate a tad� Before I begin; Enabling �Block image and other external content i HTML e-mail� is not the solution. This simply blocks images and conten not actually in the mail, but linked to on internet sites. So to start; I�m subscribed to a newsgroup where people post thei col...

how to increase text size in reading pane
dennist685 dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > dennist685 Depoends on your Outlook version, which you decided wasn't important enough to mention. -- Brian Tillman 2007 tjanks "Brian Tillman" wrote: > dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > > > dennist685 > > Depoends on your Outlook version, which you decided wasn't important enough > to mention. > -- > Brian Tillman > > dennist685 <dennist685@nospam.gmail.com> wrote: > 2007 I don't have OL 2007, but in OL 2003, the Readi...

I want to send full contacts list to another user
I have Microsoft Outlook 2000, and My Contacts are set up in a Hierarchy. I want to send the whole group to another user. Is there any way of sending the contacts, and keeping the existing Hierarchy. Thanks, Gerry. ...

Outlook does not recognize one or more names
When trying to send mail with outlook this is what my response is, "oultlook does not recognize one or more names. I can send mail when using my verizon mail program but not with outlook. Any ideas? have you verified that both you imcomming and outgoing mail servers are set correctly? I believe that verizon has several outgoing servers. You may want to contact their technical support to get the correct configuration for your account. You also did not note if you are using a router or firewall program on your computer. This can also create additional issues with your configurat...

How to create 2 charts on one page
I have created a yearly chart for widgets accomplished in Excel (has 4 data lines). I would like to add another chart directly below this to show the turn-time for accomplishing the widgets. It would have the same X-axis values (months of the year). I tried using a secondary Y axis, and the chart is just unreadable with this approach. Can this be done. HELP. You haven't told us why it's unreadable, so I doubt that we can help. If your problem is that the two sets of data are overlapping, and you said you wanted the second chart *below* the first one, try adjusting the scales on...

Need a formula that tags one table based 2 columns in each table
I have two tables on one worksheet, Table A and Table B. Each table contains two column with X and Y coordinates, all values are numerical. The coordinate system is irrelevant. I need to "tag" all XY coordinates in Table B that have a matching XY coordinate in Table A. If Table A coordinates are in columns A and B, and Table B coordinates are in columns C and D, then I want to place the text "hit" in column E next to each coordinate pair from columns C and D that match a coordinate pair in columns A and B. The ranges for the respective tables have been named ACOORD and...

Separating parts of a string in VBA
Hello, I have a string in cells(1,1). The value of the cell is "DATE" 1/1/10 THRU 3/1/10" I want to separate this string into the two new strings such that one string would read "1/10/10" and the other would read "3/1/10". In C programming, this would be fairly easy. But in VBA I don't know any string functions which can read and compare individual characters. Does anyone know how to accomplish what I am trying to do? thanks IF the DATE and THRU parts of your example text (along with their adjacent blank spaces) appear in all the text s...

Rich Text Signature
Ho do I add Rich Text signature for my outgoing mail. Thanks Create your signature in a file on your PC (save it anywhere, just remember where). Then utilize Tools - Options - Signature tab to bring in that file (note the "Browse" button). Also, if you click the "Advanced" button you will have options in regard to which email account or newsgroup that signature applies. You can have multiple signatures. "Kumar Dheeraj" <Kumar Dheeraj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3735BB37-F9B0-4A4E-95F4-222384D0B5EF@microsoft.com... ...

Adding multiple tables in one report
I am trying to customize the default report Daily Detailed Sales with Tax. What i need to do is add the Tender Type (Credit card / cash / check) as another column in the report. So far i have found out: i need to add a column i need to import the TenderEntry table for the data I need to find out: How to import another table I have tried to import the table using sql UNION function, but that wont work for me either. any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank You Hi ED, The things make sense to me regarding the adding tables and fields which you can do and customized the .grp file. ...