combinations #2

Hi all,

I would like to generate all possible combinations (not permutations, so one
combination of 6 out of the set abcdefg will also be aaaaab etc) of  p out
of n characters, n say from 3 to 8 and p from 3 to n. The character set
could contain (in principle) any character that can be obtained by alt plus
0 plus 3 numbers of the numerical keyboard (alt 0233 = � etc.).

The elements of each combination not to be separated by anything, so not (in
this example 6 out of 6) a,b,b,c,a,f  but  abbcaf. Also not to be enclosed
in parenthesis, single or double quotation marks etc. Just plain abbcaf etc.

I would like the combinations in a new workbook (started by the program),
sheet1 column A from row 1 as far down as it goes. And at starting the
program a message box that asks for the n characters of the basic set an for
the number p.

TIA for your help.

Jack Sons
The Netherlands

0
j.sons (216)

Jack Sons,

My Excel add-in "Display Word Combinations" may do what you want.
The list is added to the first empty column on the active sheet.
It works (only)  for alphabetic characters and/or numbers.
Valid words are highlighted (with option to skip this part)
Comes with one page Word.doc install/use instructions.
It is available - free - upon direct request.  Remove xxx from address.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA
jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

"Jack Sons" <j.sons@planet.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to generate all possible combinations (not permutations, so one
> combination of 6 out of the set abcdefg will also be aaaaab etc) of  p out
> of n characters, n say from 3 to 8 and p from 3 to n. The character set
> could contain (in principle) any character that can be obtained by alt plus
> 0 plus 3 numbers of the numerical keyboard (alt 0233 = � etc.).
> The elements of each combination not to be separated by anything, so not (in
> this example 6 out of 6) a,b,b,c,a,f  but  abbcaf. Also not to be enclosed
> in parenthesis, single or double quotation marks etc. Just plain abbcaf etc.
> I would like the combinations in a new workbook (started by the program),
> sheet1 column A from row 1 as far down as it goes. And at starting the
> program a message box that asks for the n characters of the basic set an for
> the number p.
> TIA for your help.
> Jack Sons
> The Netherlands

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
1/20/2004 2:51:36 PM
Jack Sons,
On second look, it probably doesn't do what you want as
the program only shows combinations  of specified characters and does
not provide for subsets.

Regards,
Jim Cone

"Jim Cone" <jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX> wrote in message
> Jack Sons,
> My Excel add-in "Display Word Combinations" may do what you want.
> The list is added to the first empty column on the active sheet.
> It works (only)  for alphabetic characters and/or numbers.
> Valid words are highlighted (with option to skip this part)
> Comes with one page Word.doc install/use instructions.
> It is available - free - upon direct request.  Remove xxx from address.
> Regards,
> Jim Cone
> San Francisco, CA
> jim.coneXXX@rcn.comXXX

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
1/20/2004 3:28:55 PM
Jack
FYI, what your asking for is not technically a combination.  In your example of 6 out of abcdefg, the total set of combinations would be

abcde
abcde
abcdf
abcef
abdef
acdef
bcdef

6C2 =

Regards
Mark Graesse
mark_graesser@yahoo.co

     ----- Jack Sons wrote: ----

     Hi all

     I would like to generate all possible combinations (not permutations, so on
     combination of 6 out of the set abcdefg will also be aaaaab etc) of  p ou
     of n characters, n say from 3 to 8 and p from 3 to n. The character se
     could contain (in principle) any character that can be obtained by alt plu
     0 plus 3 numbers of the numerical keyboard (alt 0233 = é etc.)

     The elements of each combination not to be separated by anything, so not (i
     this example 6 out of 6) a,b,b,c,a,f  but  abbcaf. Also not to be enclose
     in parenthesis, single or double quotation marks etc. Just plain abbcaf etc

     I would like the combinations in a new workbook (started by the program)
     sheet1 column A from row 1 as far down as it goes. And at starting th
     program a message box that asks for the n characters of the basic set an fo
     the number p

     TIA for your help

     Jack Son
     The Netherland

0
anonymous (74722)

CONDITION IN MACRO #2
This is an update to an earlier question I posed. I am using Access 2002. I'm trying to use a Condition in a Macro to determine whether or not to SetValue. It appears that the Condition will not allow me to use a "wildcard" (asterisk). The Field I'm checking is filled with entries like CRUZ SA or CRUZ SB or CRUZ SC. I simply want to set the Condition to look for CRUZ*...meaning any entry that begins with CRUZ. The Condition I set up is [CLASS]="CRUZ*". It doesn't work. But, when I set the Condition to [CLASS]="CRUZ SA" it works. Access Help seem...

Macros Disabled #2
Hello, I have a user running Excel 2000 on a Win 2000 sp3 machine. She has a file with several macros. The file is a form with data fields for names, numbers, etc. As soon as she enters any data and clicks the tab button to go to the next field, she gets an error message that the Macros have been disabled and the Tab key won't go to the next field. She emailed me the file and when I open it on my machine (same setup), I first get asked if I want to enable the macros. I say Yes - and everything works fine. I emailed the file back to the user, but it's still broken on her...

no information on outlook calendar from Dec 1 #2
I have a strange problem, in my outlook calander for certain users i am finding no information from Dec 1 2004 onwards, but i have seen meeting availability for some users, if i try to set up an appoinment with any user, using outlook calendar after Dec 1 2004 no information, but i can see user's availability before that date. Any idea? ...

Pivot Table Splits Columns for same entry #2
Thanks for the response. However, I seem to have misrepresented m problem because the solution doesn't help. In the Layout for the Pivo Table I have the following: In the "ROW": Item#, In the "COLUMN": Tota Lost $, Frequency of Reports generated by item #, In the "DATA": sum th counts of each item #. My chart displays the Item# on the x-axis, th sum the counts of each item # on the y-axis, the Total Lost $ and th Frequency of Reports generated by item # in the legend. There should only be one column per item # whether the chart type i stacked or clustered. I...

graphic signature #2
Does anyone know of a script for adding a graphic image as a default signature? Charles <ckeast@shaw.ca> wrote: > Does anyone know of a script for adding a graphic image as a default > signature? Just include the graphic in your signature file. See if this helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/signatures.htm -- Brian Tillman I too am having difficulty with this task. Have you had any success? I have done everything described in demo's, confirmed proper settings in Outlook etc. and it still does not display the graphic. Only that good ol' "red X"...

Unwanted confirmation of synchronization #2
Hello. We're using Outlook 2000 at work (and Win 2K). A user in our network has his profile set to enable offline folders, so he has it synchronize apparently every so often while online. He tells me he gets an annoying dialog box repeatedly throughout the day...telling him his last synchronization was SUCCESSFUL. I know you can see a notification if there was a problem (I get them if I have AutoArchive errors), but I see nowhere that I can tell Outlook to NOT tell me if a synchronization went OK. The user tells me it gets irritating, and I agree. For now I told him to simply set it to sy...

Count ifs
Hi I have a list of data shown below, in 2 cloumns. I want to do a count if to show the total people in each department and location i.e. COUNT the number of occurances of people in HEAD OFFICE and PRODUCTION and then the number of occurances of people in HEAD OFFICE and FINANCE and so on.... Many thanks Location Department Head Office Production Birmingham Sales London Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Finance Head Office Sales Head Office Sales Head Office...

lotro gold | lord of the ring online | wow | buy /sell #2
http://www.wowmmocom.com you can buy the cheapest lotro gold in our website http://www.wowmmocom.com,we'll provid you the reliable and instant delivery our msn: julieook@hotmail.com website: http://www.wowmmocom.com ...

ANN: HTTPMP
HTTPMP is MAPI transport service provider used to access HTTP mail service accounts (commonly Hotmail). HTTPMP could be used with MAPI compatible client applications (such as Microsoft Office Outlook) to send/receive Hotmail messages in much the same way as POP3 transport. Supported features 1. Sending/receiving messages 2. MIME encoded messages 3. HTML, RTF and text formatted message body 4. Messages with attachments 5. LAN and dial-up mail service account access and polling 6. Auto dial and auto hang-up 7. Fast asynchronous Internet operations 8. Internet connection configuration page HTTP...

Y scale for P. ie when P$= 2, QD=10 & QS=3 P needs to be Y scale
I am trying to create a graph the compares Quantity Demanded and Supplied in relation to a particular price to find the equilibrium (intersection). The problem is, I have no idea how to make one row the Y scale in my graph. and the other two (QD and QS) the two line graphs which should intersect. For example at a price $0, the QD is 11 units and the QS is 0. At a price $ 4 the QD is 9 units and the QS is 3 units. So as price increases/decreases, demand and supply changes! Hi, Maybe Tushar Mehta's page can help you out. http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/supply_and_demand/ Cheers ...

Comparing first and last names in two lists #2

Opinions, information ... #2
Hello, I would like to ask the following question. Now, we have several company's with there own e-mail suffix for example test@company1.be , test@company2.pl , test@company3.fr , and there own local provider and IT infrastruture. What we would like is that all these company's get an e-mail address like @company.com. What is the easiest way to do this ? Can we use a pop3 server ? The company with .pl use there own exchange now but aren't connected to the main facility. Thx for the info ...

request to solve my problem #2

Combining two companies into one
We are approaching a point where management wants to combine two separately operating companies into one entity. How do I merge the one into the larger? Can I do this within Great Plains and migrate the tables & information? There isn't a conflict with cost center-acct#'s on the income statement but there would be on the balance sheet. Vendor names & numbers would need to be redone as well. Management will want to be able to combine by the end of the year. I know I could just create new cost centers and quit using the old company but if there is any way to combi...

security #2
In Excel 2000, How can I secure a spreadsheet so nobody can copy or print it? It is on a shared network drive. Thank You Hi not really possible in Excel. All types of macro security could easily be circumvented -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Project Princess" <Project Princess@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:46DC203E-557A-45B1-9E75-27C900F92900@microsoft.com... > In Excel 2000, How can I secure a spreadsheet so nobody can copy or print it? > It is on a shared network drive. > > Thank You ...

Big Problem Sending #2
Out of the blue on Thursday, Outlook stopped sending my email. It's just racking up in my outbox. I checked all the regular stuff several times (tools-accounts-servers- smtp) and that all seems correct. I even spent over an hour on the phone with SBC today, and they say the server is fine and tried some troubleshooting activities to try to help, to no avail. I'm losing my mind and I NEED HELP! I'm going to start losing clients if I can't get my email sent out. Please Help! (if no one can halp, can someone tell me who to ask or where to go to ask in Microsoft) I'm ...

XMLDocument <- Synchronization Trasformation Schema -> XMLDocument ? #2
I'm new to .NET XML classes, so here my dilemma: I really like the XMLDataDocument concept of synchronizing automatically XMLDocument and DataSet with a common schema. Can I automatically syncronize 2 XMLDocument with Synchronization Trasformation Schema in the middle? Here my plan. I'm going to write an application which the core data model is based on XMLDataDocument with my own schema. The application frontend will edit the XMLDataDocument core. The application will have to edit files with a well known XML document schema similar to my core. I can easily create an XSLT to tranfo...

outlook parameters #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C60558.781A0570 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone!! there is some place where I can see all thje outlook parameters?? like a = /safe=20 Jana ------=_NextPart_000_006C_01C60558.781A0570 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"...

Printing Woes #2
I have a spreadsheet (my timesheet). For some reason, this spreadsheet defaults to 3 copies when it prints. I only need one. So, I manually go in, change the number of copies needed, hit print, save the spreadsheet. When I come back into the spreadsheet the next week, it is back to 3 copies. I have saved the original spreadsheet, did a save as and gave it a new name, etc, and I still can't get it to default back to one copy. Any ideas. TIA, Brenda ...

Money 2006, QFX & 2 Years Online Services
I am thinking about moving from Quicken 2002 to Mny 2006. My Banks provide QFX files. The way I've been using these is to logon to their web sites directly, download and save the qfx files, then double-click on them to open Quicken and import. I've tested opening the files with Mny06 and it seems to work ok. So, will I be able to continue doing this even after the 2 years of online services expire? I don't seem to be using any of their services with what I do. Thanks very much. Yes, you will. you just won't get the msn updates like quotes and automatic downloads. "pl...

Problem with multiline tab control #2
Hi, I have a problem with a tab control that I just can't seem to figure out. I have a tab control that made multi-line capable with m_ctrlTab.ModifyStyle(TCS_MULTILINE,TCS_MULTILINE); but, ever since I made the change I can't seem to display whichever tab I want upon application startup. It used to be a regular single-line tab (with 5 tabs) but I'm running out of space which is why I need a multiline solution. I have 6 tabs right now, three in one row. My code looks like this: ------------------------------- snip ------------------------------- BOOL Cxxxx:OnInitDialog() { ...

Title #2
I already have information in cell A1-E1, but i need to put a title at the top of the page, whats the easiest way to do this???.... =?Utf-8?B?RGVuYSBC?= <DenaB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:F641A93E-D949-4B7C-91A1-3CF83B3FA85D@microsoft.com: > I already have information in cell A1-E1, but i need to put a title at > the top of the page, whats the easiest way to do this???.... > Put A1:E1 one row down and the titles in row 1. -- It is I, DeauDeau (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo) "Dena B" <DenaB@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

How can we use 2 domains?
We redistered 2 domains 1. xyz1.com 2. xyz2.com On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is working fine. We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for 2nd domain name? On 26 Mar 2007 01:35:23 -0700, "@smi" <imaasim@gmail.com> wrote: >We redistered 2 domains >1. xyz1.com >2. xyz2.com >On one office we are using xyz1.com with win2003 server. xyz is >working fine. >We have 2nd office on different location can we use same machine for >2nd domain name? http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=recipient+policies&a...

Printing in Outlook 2003 #2
I don't often print E-Mails, but I'm stunned (in the negative sense) that the print function in outlook 2003 seem to no longer allow printing of anything other than an ENTIRE E-Mail message. How do I print just the first page? SURELY, they can't have been so dumb as to only allow printing of the entire message? But I don't see the various options to print only the current page, or only specfici pages (although there are options to print only odd or only even pages). What am I missing? Barry Watzman wrote: > I don't often print E-Mails, but I'm stunned (in...

Exchange 2003 Public Folder Problem #2
All - I have 2 Ex2003 servers, (hqmail & njmail) both hosting public and private store. Both servers are in the same administrative group and in the same routing group. When a user creates a new public folder from a client or from OWA, the public folder is always created on the same server, njmail. When the user uses OWA to browse the public folders, they are redirected to the njmail public no matter where their mailbox resides. Also, the users on hmail and using OL, they experience a delay when trying to view the public folder because they are getting the data from another serve...