Column/Row Formating

I am using Office XP which inclued Excel 2002; my problem
is my row/column formating will occasionally change
without any input from me. I have several cells merged
and do not have width set to adjust for the amount of
text,just text wrap. Any ideas, I have to keep correcting
my formats.
Thanks,
Gary C.
0
anonymous (74722)

Gary

Merged cells will allow "wrap text" from Format>Cells>Alignment but..........

Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells.

You can resize manually or via Macro.  Jim Rech has written
code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%40tkmsftngp05

Note also a recent adaptation of this code by Greg Wilson.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P37D24B15

The best cure is DON"T USE MERGED CELLS.  They cause no end of problems with
copying, pasting, sorting, filtering.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:38:53 -0700, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am using Office XP which inclued Excel 2002; my problem
>is my row/column formating will occasionally change
>without any input from me. I have several cells merged
>and do not have width set to adjust for the amount of
>text,just text wrap. Any ideas, I have to keep correcting
>my formats.
>Thanks,
>Gary C.

0
Gord

How do I hide text beyond the last column in Excel?
In the last column of spreadsheet, if the text goes beyond the column boundary, how is the text truncated in the next cell. I know you can enter blanks in the next column, and that will achieve the desired effect, but that's not an optimal solution for us. Could you just hide all of the columns to the right of those cells? Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "GetVigilant-Jon" wrote: > In the last column of spreadsheet, if the text goes beyond the column > boundary, how is the text truncated in the next cell. I know you can enter > blanks in the next colum...

Font format of rich edit ctrl in dialogs, Help!
Hi, I have used a lot of rich edit ctrl in my dialogs (I am sorry that I haven't use edit ctrl instead) and I found one problem now. The text displayed initially in the ctrl (set by DoDataExchange()) has different font format with the text which users type in later. Any experienced people can tell me the functions to make these two font same? Otherwise I think I will have to change about 100 rich edit ctrl to edit ctrl besides a lot of codes. Thank you a lot. -- Best regards, Kelvin ...

Exported data from Access won't format
I have used the Text to Column feature, but the date column that I have imported into Excel is still in a funky text format. Will not allow me to change it. Any idea? inserting a column next to the date and multipling by one then formatting as date may work if not try the following macro - select the date cells and run the macro. if none of these work give me an example of the date format ou have as you can usually alter the macro to get excel to pick up dates properly Sub FixCells() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Selection cell.Value = cell.Value Next cell End Su...

Does PUBLISHER support the PSPA format from photographers?
Dies PUBLISHER, any version, support PSPA format from proffesional photographers? Bob Clar wrote: > Dies PUBLISHER, any version, support PSPA format from proffesional > photographers? ================================= I've never seen a file with a .pspa extension... what program/camera created it? -- John Inzer MS-MVP Digital Media Experience Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that work for me may not work for you Proceed at your own risk Never heard of .pspa, are you meaning .psp? That's a Corel or Paint Shop Pro file e...

Help with Date format
I want to enter dates into a worksheet like this: January 25, 2001 And i want to get excel to display the date with the following format: 1/25/01 I have tried using a date format from the format menu but it wont display the date like i want! It will only display the date as I typed it in. Thanks to anyone who can help. :) It appears you're typing the date into a cell formatted as something other than General. 1. Delete the current contents of the cell. 2. Format > Cell > Number tab. Choose a date format. 3. Now key in the date into the cell. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Or...

Excel 2003, It wont print in landscape format
I have recently loaded Office 2003. However, Excel runs Ok, but I have noticed that it will not view or print in Landscape format. Even if you have a previous saved document from excel 2002 in landscape format, Excel 2003 will not show this document in Landscape mode. Can somebody assist..? From my experience, when there's something going on with print preview, printing, etc. it usually has to do with the print driver, I or someone else has loaded. HTH ...

How to list the rows that match a particular query?
I have a worksheet with a lot of rows. I'd like to see all the rows in the worksheet that match a particular "query", like "column A = 'foo' || column B = 'bar'". How do I do that sort of thing? data>filter>autofilter>>>> -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "david.karr" <davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:22f3d35b-110b-4007-af74-73ad28f483f0@s29g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... >I have a worksheet with a lot of rows. I'd like to see all the rows &g...

How to split numbers and decimal in 2 columns
One column for the dollars and the other for the cents? If so, use the Text to Columns, Use Delimited as the split option (Step 1) and select Other, type in the decimal point in the blank to the right of the Other option in step 2. This is good, but how do i keep it in the colums is i introduce new data and how do i sum it up (the colums) to get a final number with decimals in there corresponding colums? Dollars in in B, cents in C, Data shown Dollars Cents Cu Sum 7 56 7.56 3 44 11.00 2 24 13.24 45 23 58.47 C2: =SUM($B$2:B2)+SUM($C$2:C2)/100 and copy down Regards Peter A "...

Date Formatting #8
Hi Folks - I like to display my dates as MMM-YY. Also, I like to ENTER my dates as MMM-YY. The problem is that if I enter Feb-07 (for me, February 2007), Excel treats that as February 7th, 2009. Is there anyway I can force Excel to recognize my date entry as MMM-YY? Thanks, Michael First off, Feb-07 is not a date... a date contains a month, DAY and year. You can force Excel to treat Feb-07 as a date by supplying a day value. If you don't want to type it in, then you will need some VB event code to force the conversion to an actual date. Is a VB solution acceptable? -- Rick (MV...

Formatting cell for date
I need to enter the date as 060706 and the results is 6/7/06 or 6/7/2006. Is there a setting or formula to do this? Thanks, newtechie See Chip Pearson's site for an event macro that does what you want: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm newtechie wrote: > > I need to enter the date as 060706 and the results is 6/7/06 or 6/7/2006. > Is there a setting or formula to do this? > > Thanks, > newtechie -- Dave Peterson Th...

bullet formatting in a spreadsheet
I sure hope that someone can help me. I am new to excel and I need to learn about using bullets. I would like to know what bullet formatting does in a spreadsheet? I just can't see any advantage to using them. I am anxiously awaiting some excel smart person to hear my cry for help, thanking you in advance, Markie --To Create a Custom Text Format That Includes Bullets --To Add a Bullet to an Existing Text Entry Refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323567 -- Jacob "Markie" wrote: > I sure hope that someone can help me. I am new to excel and I need to...

Insert Row and Formula
I tried really hard to find this myself, but failed. I have a worksheet containing 5 separate blocks of data (own headings, column titles, etc); some of the cells contain formula. I want a macro that wll insert a row when a block is filled ( in column "H" actually), copying the formula as well. This needs to work on all the blocks when the same condition is met. Can anyone help me? Many thanks David You should try turning on the "LIST" feature for each of your datasets. Put your cursor in the data and press CTRL-L to activate the "List"...

Conditional Formulas/Formatting
Here's my problem, based on my example: I've got a checkmark in cell A1, which I refer to in the Post Ref Column by "=A1". If there's a checkmark in the Post Ref column, then the entry is a balance (Either Debit or Credit). There should ALWAYS be TWO and ONLY TWO entries. One under the Debit OR Credit Column next to Post Ref. The other under Debit OR Credit under Balance at Top Right of the example image below. If the Balance is a Debit, there should be two Debit column entries. Vice Versa if the Balance is a Credit. The next row down, if the Balance above is a...

excel macros truncating tabs for hidden columns.
Hi, I have written VBA macros in Excel 2003 to generate a tab delimited text file.I have some hidden columns as well and the file is being generated fine with extra tabs for the hidden columns.Howvever for line numbers >= 1985 the hidden columns are being truncated as in these extra tabs are not being generated. i process the file in my VB 6.0 application wherein i check the number of tab delimited columns that are being generated. for line number>= 1985, the application gives me an error :"Invalid file format". What is it that i am missing here!!! ...

Formula for adding up columns, i.e., B1:B10 + D1:D10 + F1:F10 + H1:H10 + J1:J10
I've never figured this one out. Went and googled yet again but I'm obviously not googling for the right thing. Same as with the help file. What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp. if they're broken up by rows/columns in between? Thanks! =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message news:ORPkLEa1FHA.2792@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I've never figured this one out. Went and googled yet again but I'm > obviously not googling for the right t...

FRx ability to calc rows first on spec rows ONLY (exception)
Refer to MS Dynamics Support Incident: 8713448 GL Trend by month row format includes calc % for various COGS for example. Columns include each month, YTD total (mo+mo columns), budget and variance, with variance calc of YTD column minus budget column. Catalog format includes calculate columns first. The variance on the rows for percentage are using the YTD-BUDGET calc, but rather calulating a % based on row. How do I accomplish calc columns first for all rows with exception of these percentage rows? -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 11/1/2006 ...

Getting a value by comparing 2 columns
Hi, I have a mailing list that I need to create but with a specific list of customers. Cust 1 in the example, is our current customer list. Cust 2 is the list of mailing customers. How do I put the Final Cust Name in the column when Cust 1 and Cust 2 match? Cust 1 Cust Name Cust 2 Final Cust Name 123 Jon Doe Landscaping 456 456 Mary Browns Excavating 963 789 Orlando Towers Inc 1296 963 ECT Lawns 1866 1296 Spring Specialty 1581 Land & Air Landscaping 1866 KF Rentals Thanks for help! Assuming your master list is in cel...

Formatting, formatting, formatting
I apologise if this has been inquired of previously, I wasn't able to phrase my searches well enough (due largely to ignorance of Excel's capabilities) to find anything useful on the web. The Issue -- I'd like to format certain rows based on the content of a cell within the row. Below is a sample of row data. 052159000011 6 YOGURT,OG,WM,PLAIN 32 OZ 1 Case NO 052159004682 12 YOGURT,OG,WM,STWBRY&CREAM 6 OZ 12 Case YES 052159004668 12 YOGURT,OG,WM,VAN TRUFFLE 6 OZ 12 Case YES 052159004613 12 YOGURT,OG,WM,WLD BLUEBERY 6 OZ 1 EA NO 036638222118 6 YOGURT,PLAIN 32 OZ 1 EA NO ...

Formatting Protection
Hi I run Win2K with Excel 2K I have a spreadsheet that is protected. Some cells on the sheet are not protected so that data can be entered. The problem I have is that sometimes people copy and paste this data from an external source and this results in the formatting for the cell to be changed. What I would like to know is there any way which I can have the spreadsheet protected and allow data to be entered into the unprotected cells but not allow any changes to the formatting for that cell? Thanks, any help is appreciated. John You could advise your users to use copy then Edit | Pa...

Conditioned formatting
I have a conditional format based on this formula: ="OR(WEEKDAY(A1)=6;WEEKDAY(A1)=7)" How do I copy this conditinal format to other cells and have the cell reference change to the appropriate cell address. If I just copy the format, using the format painter, it does not update the cell reference! Jan I maybe should add, that I cant just coipy the cell, as the cells, that should use the conditional format already contains different formulas. The only thing they have in common is that they create a date. Jan "sgdgr" <jkr@spammerlyngby.nu> wrote in message news:%...

Excel 2003 to 95 File format conversion
I've donated my old computer and software to a non-profit and need to convert files down from Excel 2003 to Excel 95. My HELP file refers to a "Microsoft Excel 97-2003 & 5.0/95 Workbook format" but I haven't been able to find it. Has it been discontinued? Hi, Judith. First, I don't recommend saving in multiple formats if they won't need them because it just makes the file bigger. I have Excel 2003 and Excel 5.0/95 and the one you mention are both available from the Files of type dropdown. Perhaps you didn't do a complete installation of Excel/Office? ***...

how to count populated rows?
How do I find out how many rows have data in them starting with row 4 and beyond? It's ok if I just know that column A has data in it. I'm using VBA. I don't know how to use functions very well. But I know visual basic some. So if you could give me some VBA code to do this, that would be great. Thanks. Ryan, I was doubtful that just knowing there was data would be enough... So following is some code to cover several possibilities. (you can understand how some of this works if you look up the terms used in the help file - just stick the cursor in a word and press F1) '---...

expand number of rows from limit of 65,536?
I need to bring in data that exceeds the limit of 65,536 rows. Does anyone know how to expand this limitation? You can't, that is the limit. You could either use multiple worksheets, or another product. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Niner" <Niner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02A672C7-CCEA-4E6C-BB6F-C1CAAC15B07E@microsoft.com... > I need to bring in data that exceeds the limit of 65,536 rows. Does anyone > know how to expand this limitation? If you have it, consider MS Access as the repository for ...

Format Cell (Number Custom)
I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this particular cell. Does any know how to accomplish this? Does Char type 'A' or 'D' mean the characters A or D? If yes, take a look at Data|Validation. It isn't foolproof (users can paste over the cell), but it works nicely for most. barryderay wrote: > > I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this > particular cell. > Does any know how to accomplish this? -- Dave Peterson ...

%s in XL entered as ".5" OR "50" reads as 50% if format is %age.
I have a spreadsheet I work with every day and I use fractional percentages, between 0-1%. If the field is formatted as Percentage, and I type in ".5", it reads it as 50%, which it would be if it weren't a percentage. But it is. It's a half percent. By typing in "50", I also get 50%, which doesn't make sense. If I type in "5" I get 5%, if I type in ".5", I should get .5%. Is there a way to make this happen, or is this just a glitch in Excel? Please help me figure this out. Thanks. abuzzmaster@yahoo.com Try this, Buzz: http://www.office...