Column A to change font color if column B is not empty

Hi,

I'd like to have column A of a sheet to automatically
turn to red font when a cell in column B is entered,ie,
the Cell A3 will change from red to black when B3 is
entered and B3 is a date.

Can it be done?

Thanks & Regards,
Val
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
try:
- select cells A3:A10
- goto 'Format - Conditional format'
- enter the formula
=$B3<>""
- choose a format

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

dolphinv4 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have column A of a sheet to automatically
> turn to red font when a cell in column B is entered,ie,
> the Cell A3 will change from red to black when B3 is
> entered and B3 is a date.
>
> Can it be done?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Val
0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/11/2004 5:04:23 AM
Check out Conditional Formatting

This will sort of work.

Highlight your cells in column A and use the formula =IF(ISNUMBER(B1),1,0)
in the Formula is box in Conditional Formatting. Set your Format to whatever
you require (e.g. red Font) and whenever a user enters a date in column B the
corresponding entry in Col A will turn red.

Unfortunately if the user enters a number in Col B the corresponding entry
in Col A will also turn red, however if they enter text it will not. Looks
like we need an ISDATE function.

"dolphinv4" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have column A of a sheet to automatically
> turn to red font when a cell in column B is entered,ie,
> the Cell A3 will change from red to black when B3 is
> entered and B3 is a date.
>
> Can it be done?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Val

Hi,

I tried the below but it doesn't seem to work like what I
wanted (maybe I did something wrong).

What I wanted was:

A               B
$350.00         25/7/04
$500.00
$600.00         4/7/04

Column A is typed in whenever I send an invoice. Column B
will be filled in when I receive the payment. By default,
A will be in red font to show that they are unpaid. And I
require that as soon as B is entered, A will
automatically update itself as Black font.

If i use Conditional Formatting, it seems like I have to
keep doing the below steps you recommended to do the
update right?

Thanks & Regards,
Val

0
anonymous (74722)
8/11/2004 5:28:25 AM
Hi
you may have to change the starting cell. I assumed cell A3. You can
change this (and change also the formula in the conditional format
dialog accordingly)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dolphinv4 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the below but it doesn't seem to work like what I
> wanted (maybe I did something wrong).
>
> What I wanted was:
>
> A               B
> $350.00         25/7/04
> $500.00
> $600.00         4/7/04
>

> Column A is typed in whenever I send an invoice. Column B
> will be filled in when I receive the payment. By default,
> A will be in red font to show that they are unpaid. And I
> require that as soon as B is entered, A will
> automatically update itself as Black font.
>
> If i use Conditional Formatting, it seems like I have to
> keep doing the below steps you recommended to do the
> update right?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Val

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/11/2004 5:34:50 AM
Hi,

yea, but it still doesn't work like what I require.

A1 will have to follow the value of B1, A2 will have to
follow the value of B2, etc.

I tried changing your formula to =$B:$B<>"" but it
doesn't work. Seems like the formula can only be linked
to a single cell?

Also, it does not refresh itself as and when I enter a
date into B rite? I have to go to "Format - Conditional
Formatting" all the time to refresh, which I do not want.
Is there any other way?

Thanks & Regards,
Val

0
anonymous (74722)
8/11/2004 5:49:12 AM
Hi
if your first cell in the selected area (before going to the
conditional format dialog) is A1 then use the formula
=$B1<>""

Excel will adapt the row reference automatically. And of course you can
select several rows at the beginning. Just enter the formula for the
first cell reference with a relative row reference

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dolphinv4 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yea, but it still doesn't work like what I require.
>
> A1 will have to follow the value of B1, A2 will have to
> follow the value of B2, etc.
>
> I tried changing your formula to =$B:$B<>"" but it
> doesn't work. Seems like the formula can only be linked
> to a single cell?
>
> Also, it does not refresh itself as and when I enter a
> date into B rite? I have to go to "Format - Conditional
> Formatting" all the time to refresh, which I do not want.
> Is there any other way?
>

> Thanks & Regards,
> Val

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/11/2004 5:58:31 AM
FINALLY got it! thank you very much!

Regards,
Val

0
anonymous (74722)

if cell is text move left one column

Changing Prices in HQ.
Hi, I have this little issue. I want to change the put items on promotion using the price wizard using HQ. Unfortunately if I have stores who has differents prices for a same item the wizard do not make the proper change becuase it use the price already stored in the master table. Does anyone saw this issue before? Who was solved?. Thks in advance for your help. Rgds Rodrigo Hi there, The easiest way to look after this is to not change any data on the ITEM in HQ, but to simply do the worksheet for altering the sale price and then send it to the respective stores. Then in the works...

Saving toolbar changes

Printing In Color
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to print a document in word that is color but it is only coming out in black and white. How can I change the color settings on my printer? Word has no setting to print in color v. B/W -- that's a function of your printer & its driver software. The settings are available in the Print dialog in the Copies & Pages List, but exactly where the setting is located depends to a great extent on what printer you have. Some printers also have physical controls on the printer, itself, but that isn't common. ...

Changing query execution sequence

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

Automatic changes in cells

Coloring a row
I have a spreadsheet and I want to have cells colored from column A to K if cell h is not blank. So if h3 has a date in it I want A3:K3 to be say light blue. This is for Office 2003. I can do it with conditional formating in 2007, but my work place doesn't have 2007. I did use column L and put an if statement to give a true or false in the cell depending on if the cell in col. h was empty or not. Any ideas how to get this to work? Hi John This sort of thing will work in 2003 conditional formating. In Cell A3 go to Format - conditional formattting. Formula is Paste...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Are Office XP fonts freeware?
I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? serdar wrote: > I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any > web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? > > Why is this an Excel question? If you look at the fonts in the Windows fonts directory, usually c:\windows\fonts, you'll see that most of them are copyrighted. I suggest you do a Google or other search for freeware fonts. You should find some items that way. That said, yo...

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Sorting Cells by Colors

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...