Code to combine workbooks

Hi,

I need to combine several workbooks into one workbook. Say, individual
workbooks are named A, B and C, the master workbook is Master. They all have
the same format and are stored in directory c:\Data. Please can anyone help
and send me the code

Thanks
Andy

0
atkchung (3)

Sub GrabData()

Dim varr As Variant
Dim rng As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim wkbk as Workbook
varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets(1)
  For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("c:\Data\" & varr(i))
    Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
      UsedRange
    rng.Copy sh. _
      Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
  Next
End Sub

You talk about combining workbooks, but don't say how many sheets are in the
books or how you want them combined.

The above assumes data from the first sheet in each book to one sheet in
Master.

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

Andy Soho <atkchung@hkbn.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need to combine several workbooks into one workbook. Say, individual
> workbooks are named A, B and C, the master workbook is Master. They all
have
> the same format and are stored in directory c:\Data. Please can anyone
help
> and send me the code
>
> Thanks
> Andy

0
twogilvy (1078)
7/12/2003 6:07:29 PM
Thanks Tom,

There only one sheet in each workbook. Your code works perferctly. Thanks.
One more question, if I'm to put the name of workbook A, B & C files on a
range in the master workbook, how should the line varr = array("A.xls",
"B.xls", "C.xls") be re-phrased. This will give me flexibility and don't
need to change the code when new file is added.

Thanks
Andy

"Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> Sub GrabData()
>
> Dim varr As Variant
> Dim rng As Range
> Dim i As Long
> Dim sh As Worksheet
> Dim wkbk as Workbook
> varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
> Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets(1)
>   For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
>     Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("c:\Data\" & varr(i))
>     Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
>       UsedRange
>     rng.Copy sh. _
>       Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
>   Next
> End Sub
>

> You talk about combining workbooks, but don't say how many sheets are in
the
> books or how you want them combined.
>
> The above assumes data from the first sheet in each book to one sheet in
> Master.
>
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>
> Andy Soho <atkchung@hkbn.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to combine several workbooks into one workbook. Say, individual
> > workbooks are named A, B and C, the master workbook is Master. They all
> have
> > the same format and are stored in directory c:\Data. Please can anyone
> help
> > and send me the code
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andy

0
atkchung (3)
7/13/2003 2:29:57 AM
I'm not Tom, but one way would be like:

Option Explicit

Sub GrabData()

Dim varr As Variant
Dim rng As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim wkbk As Workbook
With Workbooks("master.xls").Worksheets("Sheet2")
    varr = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
End With
'varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets("sheet1")
  For i = LBound(varr, 1) To UBound(varr, 1)
    Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("C:\data\" & varr(i, 1))
    Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
      UsedRange
    rng.Copy sh. _
      Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
    wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
  Next
End Sub

I assumed that master.xls sheet2 held the data (a1:a (lastusedcell)).  And I
changed the combined worksheet to sheet1.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

> Sub GrabData()
>
> Dim varr As Variant
> Dim rng As Range
> Dim i As Long
> Dim sh As Worksheet
> Dim wkbk as Workbook
> varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
> Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets(1)
>   For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
>     Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("c:\Data\" & varr(i))
>     Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
>       UsedRange
>     rng.Copy sh. _
>       Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
>   Next
> End Sub

Tom,

I looked at your code with interest because I have a similar need, but I
only need certain data imported into respective column areas of the
master file. I recorded the manual steps required to accomplish this
using your file names (slightly different paths):

Sub GrabData()
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Data\EXCEL\A.xls"
    Range("B2:B10").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Windows("Master.xls").Activate
    Range("B2").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Data\EXCEL\B.xls"
    Range("C2:C10").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Windows("Master.xls").Activate
    Range("C2").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Data\EXCEL\C.xls"
    Range("D2:D10").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Windows("Master.xls").Activate
    Range("D2").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

Can you help me (translated "provide me with") code similar to yours to
do what I want?

--
David
I have a similar need.  I have 3 seperate workbooks I

0
kfickling (2)
7/13/2003 1:48:53 PM
Dave Peterson wrote

> I'm still not Tom, but here's one way:

Great!

Thanks, Dave.

--
David
Dave Peterson wrote

> I'm still not Tom, but here's one way:

Another option I've considered (and tried with success) is to paste links
to the source files' cells into the master file and have the user answer
'Yes' when prompted to update them on opening the file.

--
David
Hi Dave,

What a great night I'm having, just came back from watching Terminator 3
(great movie) and now got your code.
It's always been great enjoyment to read this newsgroup

Thanks
Andy

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm not Tom, but one way would be like:
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Sub GrabData()
>
> Dim varr As Variant
> Dim rng As Range
> Dim i As Long
> Dim sh As Worksheet
> Dim wkbk As Workbook
> With Workbooks("master.xls").Worksheets("Sheet2")
>     varr = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
> End With
> 'varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
> Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets("sheet1")
>   For i = LBound(varr, 1) To UBound(varr, 1)
>     Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("C:\data\" & varr(i, 1))
>     Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
>       UsedRange
>     rng.Copy sh. _
>       Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
>     wkbk.Close savechanges:=False
>   Next
> End Sub
>

> I assumed that master.xls sheet2 held the data (a1:a (lastusedcell)).  And
> changed the combined worksheet to sheet1.
>
> Andy Soho wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Tom,
> >
> > There only one sheet in each workbook. Your code works perferctly.
Thanks.
> > One more question, if I'm to put the name of workbook A, B & C files on
> > range in the master workbook, how should the line varr = array("A.xls",
> > "B.xls", "C.xls") be re-phrased. This will give me flexibility and don't
> > need to change the code when new file is added.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Andy
> >
> > "Tom Ogilvy" <twogilvy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Sub GrabData()
> > >
> > > Dim varr As Variant
> > > Dim rng As Range
> > > Dim i As Long
> > > Dim sh As Worksheet
> > > Dim wkbk as Workbook
> > > varr = Array("A.xls", "B.xls", "c.xls")
> > > Set sh = Workbooks("Master.xls").Worksheets(1)
> > >   For i = LBound(varr) To UBound(varr)
> > >     Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("c:\Data\" & varr(i))
> > >     Set rng = wkbk.Worksheets(1). _
> > >       UsedRange
> > >     rng.Copy sh. _
> > >       Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
> > >   Next
> > > End Sub
> > >

> > > You talk about combining workbooks, but don't say how many sheets are
in
> > the
> > > books or how you want them combined.
> > >
> > > The above assumes data from the first sheet in each book to one sheet
in
> > > Master.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tom Ogilvy
> > >
> > > Andy Soho <atkchung@hkbn.net> wrote in message

> > > have
> > > help

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
atkchung (3)

Line Chart & Bar Chart Combined
Using Excel 2003 I have 3 series of data. I want 3 of the series to be plotted as a bar chart and one series as a line chart. Is this possible? Thank you, Karen Yes, Excel does allow you to build many types of combination charts. For example, assume you already have a column chart that shows all three series. To change one of the series to a line, first select the series in the chart. Next, go to the standard toolbar and select Chart -> Chart Type. Finally, select the chart that you would like to apply (line for example). Jon Peltier provides many detailed examples of how to do s...

Error Code 8004888d
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit Have been sing windows live messenger for years with no problem. Suddenly it (almost) freezes when I try to log on and then wont let me sign in. "Signing in to windows Live Messenger failed becasue the dervice is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later - Error code: 8004888d" The service is available because I still have no problem signing in at any other computer. I saw some (old) "fixes" on google, all of which I tried and none work. Needless to mention, no help from Microsoft. Anyone any ideas ? Thanks...

Workbook Linking
ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LINK TWO WORKBOOKS TOGETHER IN SEPARATE DRIVES ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Open them both, tile them so you can see both, then click into a cell on one book, type =, then use the mouse to click into a cell on the other book and hit enter. Save the book and then close the source book, at which point the full filepath will appear in the workbook. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel ...

Macro to update with active(live) workbooks
I am trying to record a macro that will pull from several different workbooks with active data. For Example: I want to take the data in workbook1 column "A" and copy and paste it to column "A" in workbook3, then look at workbook2 and copy and paste the data in column "A" to the first open cell in workbook3 column "A". It then needs to do the same thing for column "B" & "C". The data in workbooks 1 & 2 columns "A", "B" & "C" will be changing daily. So workbook1 column "A", &q...

Reference & update destin. cells on 1st machine from source workbook on 2nd machine
Hi, I have a question about linking and updating cells referencing another workbook on another machine on a home network. I have a workbook opened on machine A on my home network. On a second machine B located on the same network, I have a second workbook opened and on this workbook B I want a range of cells to reference a range in workbook A and update in real time (if it is possible in this case). I have formatted the destination each destination cell on machine B using the formula ='\\SourceMachineA\directory:\[WorkbookA.xls]Sheet1'!A25 When I enter the formula I get prompted wit...

Code help please
When looking for a record that has duplicate last names I can press cmdNext to get the next record. The source control is based on a master query. Once I keep pressing the cmdNext it will find all the codes. When it gets to the end of the cmdNext I would like something to say that this is the end of the records. I don't believe it is a recordset and I'm not sure how to check and see if it is. This is the code for the cmdNext. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Private Sub cmdNext_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdNext_Click Screen.PreviousControl.SetFoc...

About samples codes in PB 6.0
Hi, i'm trying to use sample files available in wince600/Public, for example, C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\DIRECTX\SDK\SAMPLES\DDRAW\SRC\MOSQUITO or C:\WINCE600\PUBLIC\DIRECTX\SDK\SAMPLES\DSHOW\PLAYERS\CEPLAYIT (yes, i'm working with DirectX :P), but i'm really not sure about how I must use them. I would like to copy a directory with files to my project, then create a new project based on this, but I don't know how, because this projects have a sources file what i select to add this project like a subproject in PB 6.0, but it doesn't build. For example, in 'mosquito&...

Increased size of workbook when copying
Dear All I created a book last week by copying data from another book; not very large (1100 rows, 5 columns, no formulae) but at some point in between creation and when I emailed it to clients it became enormous, 8MB! I could tell because the scroll bar on the right had become tiny and even though I was at the bottom of the entered data, the scroll bar was still right near the top. What do you think might have happened, and what can I do to avoid it happening again? Thanks a lot "Diane Garrini" <diane.garrini@diageo.com> wrote in message news:0cd101c38e64$75b3d760$a...

excel opens but the workbook doesnt
when i open an excel file, excel opens but doesnt display the file- have to drop and drag file in from elsewhere; tried re-installing excel, then windows but hasnt made difference; any thoughts? Hi uran! Most likely fix for this problem is from within Excel: Tools > Options > General Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" OK Close Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel in the Registry using the following routine. Close Excel On the Windows Taskbar Start > Run Type the following exactly including the space between exe and / excel.exe ...

Vlookup on multiple workbooks
First step: I want to be able to lookup a cell value from workbook1.xls and the find that value in workbook2.xls sheet1. Second step: Then, I need to copy the averages (named cells) from workbook1.xls t workbook2.xls sheet1. So, for example, workbook1.xls has a value of 0016 in cell D5. I pres the magic button and it looks at 0016 then switches to workbook2.xls It looks at column C and searches for 0016 in that column. After it finds 0016 in column C it then looks back at workbook1.xls an finds the value in "weightavg" (named cell) and copies that value int workbook2.xls column D...

Count Unique Combinations
Hello all, I'm having problems coming up with a formula to count the number of unique combinations in a list. I have a list of people in column B and a list of tasks in column C. There are duplicates in both columns. I need a formula to count the unique combinations in the list (i.e. bob smith/j. smith would count 1. Also I need to count the separtely so I know how many unique combinations are for bob smith and so on. I hope I've proviede enough info. Thank you for your assistance, Ron Col B Col C bob smith j. smith don carter r. jones alan jackson s. rober...

Combination stacked column/line chart
I think my problem lies in how I have my data plotted in my spreadsheet???? ...

Vista: Windows Update error code 80070005
Hi, I cant download any new updates from Microsoft. Every time I try to check for updates I get the following error code: Code 80070005. Since this problem occurred I have been unable to search for new updates and also, some of my programs fail to launch when activated. I am on Vista Home Premium with SP2 & I have 3GB of RAM. I use Norton Anti Virus with its Firewall but I have Windows Firewall turned off. Can anybody please help me solve this problem? I'm not very technical so a simple step to fix would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. Always state yo...

Help on combining two IF statements
How do I combine two IF statements? =IF(C12="PTO",-8,C12*$E$3) OR =IF(C12="HOLIDAY",0,C12*$E$3) Thanks for any and all help "Sunflower" <luvsunflowers@gmail.com> wrote: > How do I combine two IF statements? > =IF(C12="PTO",-8,C12*$E$3) > OR > =IF(C12="HOLIDAY",0,C12*$E$3) Perhaps: =IF(C12="PTO", -8, IF(C12="HOLIDAY", 0, C12*$E$3)) On Jan 24, 11:20=A0am, "Joe User" <joeu2004> wrote: > "Sunflower" <luvsunflow...@gmail.com> wrote: > > How...

Error code 8e5e0152
For the past couple days when I've tried to log into windows live messenger it says "Signing in to WLM failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" I've tried many times over the last few days and it still isn't working. What can I do to get it to work? ...

suggestions to improve this code
I have the following commands nested in a VBA loop to generate a number of charts with lines on 2 axes. It works but I'm sure there's a way to choose the desired chart type initially and clean up this code. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Set NewChart = Charts.Add ' Had to start off with chart type xlLineMarkers ' and apply the desired chart type later in the code ' to eliminate crashes. NewChart.ChartType = xlLineMarkers NewChrtName = VarName NewChart.SetSourceData Source:=DataRngArray(cntr), _ PlotBy:=xlColumns NewChart.Location Where:=xlLo...

Sample code help?
Hello, I'm trying to follow a clients spec for creating a web service that they will post XML to. I'm trying to create the .asmx, but I have run into a few problems with the XML they are sending. Does anyone have a sample that handles something like the following? <?xml version="1.0" encoding=utf-8"?> <RAInfo dateTime="2003-10-10T11:15:00.00" xmlns="urn:mk-foo-ra"> <infoList> <doSomething foo="123" bar="456"/> </infoList> </RAInfo> Thank you, Michael... ...

HELP: how do I convert a list of state codes to written states? Also..
I need an easy way in Excel 2002 to do the following: Convert KY ---> Kentucky and Convert a custom list say ABC ------> Alpha Beta Corp Easily within my spreadsheet. I can't stand doing this manually anymore. If you can help please post your response and I'll get notified by email. THANK YOU I AM VERY GRATEFUL -j ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I can help you with the states, here goes =VLOOKUP(A1,{"AL","...

Log changes code
This is a repost from 3 days ago. I am using some downloaded code that logs all changes to a table made on a form. It works great except it does not log changes when I am changing the field to a null or from a null. It ignores null changes. Can anyone help me revise this code so it will also keep null changes? Below is the code. Thanks in advance Sub AuditTrail(frm As Form, recordid As Control) 'track Changes to data 'recordid identifies the pk fields corresponding 'control in form, in order to id record Dim ctl As Control Dim varbefore As Variant Dim Varafter As Variant Dim...

Word field codes
1. I need a field code that only gives me the actual date. For instance, instead of "August 3, 2009," I need a field code to that will give me "3rd". 2. Also, I need a field code that will give me the month and the year, without punctuation. So instead of "August 3, 2009," I need a field code that will give me "August 2009." See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/DateFields.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Candace" <Candace@discussions.microsof...

Printing Workbook Sheets as Separate Documents
I've set up a workbook that has 25 sheets, 3 pages each. Each worksheet is updated by the first sheet as to the serial numbe and Tech. . . i.e. Sheet 1 serial number is 10000 for all 3 pages Sheet 2 is 10001 for all 3 pages etc. The same Tech is listed on al pages. Problem, The reason each sheet is set up as 3 pages is that we mus print carbonless sets (white/Pink/Canary) and have our new printe staple them. It only works corectly if I print each sheet as a separate document. need to print all the sheets as sparate documents automatically. . How to? All help is appreciated, thank you...

Calender coding linked to MS Outlook
I have a inventory datdabase where i need to enter date. here i need the calender option near to the field. when i click the calender botton the calender with the current date will appear and from there if i select the date the date will be automatically entered in the date field... just like any air reservation site we are using...... Maybe somnething like this? http://allenbrowne.com/ser-51.html "Arunoday" wrote: > I have a inventory datdabase where i need to enter date. here i need the > calender option near to the field. when i click the calender botton the > c...

Help with VB Code
OK...keep in mind I'm VERY new to VB. Look at this code: Application.ScreenUpdating = False With ActiveSheet If Range("C23").Value <> "4C" Then .CheckBoxes("Check Box 56").Value = False msg = "Color is unavailable for this page using the selected pag count." MsgBox msg, vbOKOnly, "Runsheet Alert" End If End With OK...Instead of range "C23" being limited to "4C", I want it to sa something along the lines of: If Range("C23").Value <> "4C" or "1C" What's the proper way to...

IIS does not find precompiled ASP.NET code
Hello. (Details at the end of this post.) I have published my web site from VS2008 with the non-updatable option (i.e. updatable="false" in PrecompiledApp.config). The site is precompiled, however when requesting an .asmx file, the server responds with "The file '/test/PdfServiceLib.asmx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be requested." I used the ProcessMonitor to see what's happenning, and the w3wp.exe process behaves strangely. Six times (6x !) it finds the "pdfservicelib.asmx.cdcab7d2.compiled" successfully in the bin ...

How to maximize workbooks (out of IE)
Hello all, when I open an Excel-File (Hyperlink) from Internet-Explorer the workbook's embedded in IE . >> No problems Then I open a worbook local from e.g. Desktop >> the workbook's displayed as "Window" and not maximized. How can this be fixed Thanks Thomas As far as I know, excel will remember how you last saved that workbook (well, in conjunction with what your current view is (if excel is open)). So save your workbook as a maximized window. Close excel and then double click on your workbook to test it out. tbk123 wrote: > > Hello all, >...