Checkboxes and macros

I'm new with working with forms and macros and I'm a little lost.  This is
what I have...

         A        B       C
         5        0       0

This is what I need.  I need to place 3 checkboxes each in B2, B3 and B4,
equally Yes,No and N/A. If yes is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with
value "3". If no is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with value "0".  If
N/A is clicked then, then B2 and C2 will populate with "-".

Is this possible?  And if so, is there a macro that I can place to do all of
this?  How would I do that macro?

I'm sorry I'm so dense.....LOL!!

Thank you in advance!

0
Danielle1 (43)

Rightclick on the icon bar. Select Forms
Then Insert 3 Checkboxes. Rightclick on one of the boxes and select
cell link. Select B5. Repeat with the other Checkboxes, and select
links to B6, B7.

In B2 insert this formula: =CHOOSE(1+B5*1+B6*2+B7*3,"",3,0,"-")
If there is a risk that Yes and No is selected, add ,"","",""

Ola Sandstr´┐Żm

See picture:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3487&stc=1

|Filename: Clipboard01.jpg                                          |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3487     |

olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378652

Thank you so much. I'm trying to insert the formula in B2, but I'm having
trouble. How do I do that if the checkboxes are in the cell?

"olasa" wrote:

> Rightclick on the icon bar. Select Forms
> Then Insert 3 Checkboxes. Rightclick on one of the boxes and select
> cell link. Select B5. Repeat with the other Checkboxes, and select
> links to B6, B7.
>
> In B2 insert this formula: =CHOOSE(1+B5*1+B6*2+B7*3,"",3,0,"-")
> If there is a risk that Yes and No is selected, add ,"","",""
>
> Ola Sandström
>

> See picture:
> http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3487&stc=1

> |Filename: Clipboard01.jpg                                          |
> |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3487     |

> olasa
> olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17760
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378652

0
Danielle1 (43)
6/13/2005 11:21:02 PM
You might want to reconsider and use optionbuttons.  Then when you choose one of
them, the other two are not chosen.

I put a GroupBox from the Forms toolbar around B2:B4
Then I added 3 optionbuttons to that GroupBox (yes, no, na)
Then I rightclicked on an optionbutton
selected format control|On the control tab, I gave it a nice cell link.
(I used A3 in my test.)

Then I used this formula to show the text.
=IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))

Depending on how you label the yes/no/na optionbuttons, you may have to play
with that order.

Then I hid column A -- just so it wouldn't be noticeable.  But you could use any
column you want and hide that column later.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You might want to reconsider and use optionbuttons.  Then when you choose one of
> them, the other two are not chosen.
>
> I put a GroupBox from the Forms toolbar around B2:B4
> Then I added 3 optionbuttons to that GroupBox (yes, no, na)
> Then I rightclicked on an optionbutton
> selected format control|On the control tab, I gave it a nice cell link.
> (I used A3 in my test.)
>
> Then I used this formula to show the text.
> =IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))
>
> Depending on how you label the yes/no/na optionbuttons, you may have to play
> with that order.
>
> Then I hid column A -- just so it wouldn't be noticeable.  But you could use any
> column you want and hide that column later.
>
> danielle wrote:
> >
> > I'm new with working with forms and macros and I'm a little lost.  This is
> > what I have...
> >
> >          A        B       C
> >          3
> >          2
> >          5        0       0
> >
> > This is what I need.  I need to place 3 checkboxes each in B2, B3 and B4,
> > equally Yes,No and N/A. If yes is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with
> > value "3". If no is clicked, then B2 and C2 will populate with value "0".  If
> > N/A is clicked then, then B2 and C2 will populate with "-".
> >
> > Is this possible?  And if so, is there a macro that I can place to do all of
> > this?  How would I do that macro?
> >
> > I'm sorry I'm so dense.....LOL!!
> >
> > Thank you in advance!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Danielle1 (43)
6/14/2005 12:34:03 AM
Put the formula in a cell in column C.

Are you sure you'd want to?  What happens if the user clicks the wrong one and
wants to correct it?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Is this the formula Im putting in column C:
=IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))

What do I need to change because it's not working.

I'm sorry!

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Put the formula in a cell in column C.
>
> Are you sure you'd want to?  What happens if the user clicks the wrong one and
> wants to correct it?
>
> danielle wrote:
> >
> > How do I get my values to show up in in my C column? And is there a way to
> > have the checkboxes/option buttons to hide or disappear once they're checked?
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > You might want to reconsider and use optionbuttons.  Then when you choose one of
> > > them, the other two are not chosen.
> > >
> > > I put a GroupBox from the Forms toolbar around B2:B4
> > > Then I added 3 optionbuttons to that GroupBox (yes, no, na)
> > > Then I rightclicked on an optionbutton
> > > selected format control|On the control tab, I gave it a nice cell link.
> > > (I used A3 in my test.)
> > >
> > > Then I used this formula to show the text.
> > > =IF(A3="","",CHOOSE(A3,"Yes","N/A","-"))
> > >
> > > Depending on how you label the yes/no/na optionbuttons, you may have to play
> > > with that order.
> > >
> > > Then I hid column A -- just so it wouldn't be noticeable.  But you could use any
> > > column you want and hide that column later.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Danielle1 (43)
6/14/2005 12:59:03 AM
Did you do the linked cell stuff?  What cell did you use?

I used A3 in my example.  Change the formula accordingly.

Assign this macro to each of the optionbuttons (all 3):

Option Explicit
Sub HideOptButtons()

    Dim myOptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim OptBtn As OptionButton

    Set myOptBtn = ActiveSheet.OptionButtons(Application.Caller)

    myOptBtn.GroupBox.Visible = False
    For Each OptBtn In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
        If OptBtn.GroupBox.Name = myOptBtn.GroupBox.Name Then
            OptBtn.Visible = False
        End If
    Next OptBtn

End Sub

In fact, you can drop the linked cell and just use code for everything.  This
takes the caption and puts it in C3.  Adjust if necessary.

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim myOptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim OptBtn As OptionButton
    Dim myCell As Range

    Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("c3")

    Set myOptBtn = ActiveSheet.OptionButtons(Application.Caller)

    myOptBtn.GroupBox.Visible = False
    For Each OptBtn In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
        If OptBtn.GroupBox.Name = myOptBtn.GroupBox.Name Then
            OptBtn.Visible = False
            If OptBtn.Value = xlOn Then
                myCell.Value = OptBtn.Caption
            End If
        End If
    Next OptBtn

End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

Macro code behind button
How do I find out what macro and the code assigned to a specific button in an Excel worksheet? I can view all the macros assigned to the workbook, but it appears that there may be other macros running on these buttons (my personal list of macros is empty)(I am the author of the workbook). Right-click on button, assign macro. See that is assigned. If an ActiveX control, you may need to click on "view code". Alternatively, you can bring up the VBE (Alt+F11) and look through the different parts of your workbook to see what coding is in there. -- Best Regards, Lu...

locking tabs w/macros
i have a workbook that employees use to track project progress. they enter project data into sheet 1 and vbscript macros manipulate this data and output it in various ways on worksheets 2-15. i want to lock sheets 2-15 so employees cannot enter data, but when i protect those sheets the macros are no longer permitted to work. is there a way i can prevent cell editing by USERS but permit editing by MACROS? this seems like it should be fairly obvious, but i cant figure it out. thanks in advance! Hi eric, 1) you might want to use the following instruction when protecting the sheets: ...

copy a pivot table to another sheet in a macro
Hi there, I created a macro that will copy copy the information from a created pivot table to another sheet. I seemed ok when I recorded the macro. But there's no pivot table on the new sheet when I run the macro. What should I do to correct the problem? Thanks, Aline -- Aline Record another macro when you try it again? If it fails again, you may want to describe what you did to copy the data (copy the cells to a new sheet or copy the sheet???). And share the code (that fails) that does the copy. Aline wrote: > > Hi there, > > I created a...

how 2 create and run a macro
i want to try record a new macro. can you teach me the way to create and run it. i am facing the problem Hi a good introduction to macros can be found at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Lee Sok Har wrote: > i want to try record a new macro. can you teach me the way to create > and run it. > i am facing the problem ...

T/F Can't set Hyperlink base from within macro
Excel 2000. I wanted to set the Hyperlink base from within a macro. Then I read: "BuiltinDocumentProperties Property Returns a DocumentProperties collection that represents all the built-in document properties for the specified workbook. Read-only." Among the listed built-in properties is "Hyperlink Base". Putting that together with "read only", I deduce that although I can set the Hyperlink Base as a user, this cannot be done via a macro. Am I correct or is there a loophole somewhere that would allow me to do this? Chris Beall Hi Chris: Sub chris3() ...

Macros #12
I didn't see a group for Excel Macros so I'm posting here. I created a macro, saved it in the workbook that I was working on, gave it a short cut key stroke and it all worked perfectly. When done with the exercise I deleted the macro from that workbook. When I open a new workbook the ctrl key still activates the macro. I can't find where or how I delete the short cut key combo for that macro? All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. SteveR "Steve" <SteveR7138@msn.com> wrote in news:ebQ92OWsFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl: > I didn't see a gro...

Goto Macro #2
Hi I run Win2K with Excel 2K I require a macro that when I place a number in a cell that the curser then jumps to a particular cell (or range name if that is the better way to do it) ie; Action In cell A1 I type the number 1 Result The curser jumps to cell A20 Action In cell A1 I type the number 2 Result The curser jumps to cell A21 etc etc etc Any help is much appreciated John Calder John In the sheet module.................... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is No...

checkbox/calculations
I have a form with a subform. In the subform I have all the past service dates. I have a calculation where I take the most recent service date and multiply by the service interval on the main form to give me the next service date. I would like to add a checkbox in the subform or next to the nextservice date so it can take that date and put it into the servicelog and give me the next date automatically. Is there a way to do this. and if so what is the easiest way to go about it. I basically want it to automatically update without me having to move the date manually from the next service ...

Checkbox customization question
How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with multiple professions. From a list of available professions as checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable professions. Any ideas. Try Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com "Arch" <discussion11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b87a74db.0405210819.3232b5d8@posting.google.com... > How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with > multiple professions. From a list of available professions as > checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable > professions. Any...

Macro help please
First I'll say hello. I'm short of time right now, but will be back soon. I do have a problem to solve. I'm trying to write a macro that monitors a cell (W30) and then runs a sub when the value of the cell changes to "1". The sheet will run 24/7, and so should the macro. The value of the sheet will change via DDE link. I've tried macros that detect a cell change in value, but they insist on the (enter) key. Thanks for any help in advance. Gotta run, be back soon. :cool: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.Ex...

Send To Macro
Hi guys, I can set a macro to send the workbook to an emai address/group. What I'm looking for is a way to send just a hyperlin to the file itself instead of the file. FILESIZE being the issue here. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate -- theshelton ----------------------------------------------------------------------- thesheltons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1544 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27042 This may help: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3EC1827F.CA57713B%40msn.com But read the w...

Applying the same macro to multiple Visio documents
Hi, I have created a macro which allows me to convert some of the information in my visio documents to text file. The problem is that I have dozens of visio files which I need to apply this macro to in order to create text files for each of these files. Is there an easy way in which I can apply the macro to all these files? Maybe there is a quick way of loading a macro into an visio document so that it runs when you open the visio file. Thanks for your help, Barry. There is an example of looping through a directory of Visio files at visio.mvps.org/3rdparty.htm. Look at the second item la...

Checkbox Push-like will not react with ON_BN_CLICKED when pushed
Hello! I'm using MFC 7.1 I have an checkbox control that has Push-like == true. I have created a control variable which has the type CButton CButton check0; I have created a message map ON_BN_CLICKED(IDC_CHECK0,OnBnClickedCheck0) See below for OnBnClickedCheck0() The message works when the button isn't pushed, i.e. the checkbox has state==BST_UNCHECKED But when I click on the button when it's checked (BST_CHECKED) then OnBnClickedCheck0() will NOT be called! Why? How do I fix so that OnBnClickedCheck0() will be called everytime I click on the checkbox button?? // Anders -...

Macros--excel 2000...
The stop dialog box, should but does not appear when I begin to write a macro. Thus I am unable to write a macro using relative cell reference. What do I have to do to get the sstop dialog box to show up when I initiate a amcro? To reactivate the Stop Recording toolbar: Choose Tools>Macro>Record New Macro Click OK Choose View>Toolbars>Stop Recording Click the Stop Recording button (the blue square) The next time you record a macro, the toolbar should automatically appear. When you're finished recording, click the Stop Recording button If you close the toolbar by click...

delete personal macro
Hi, I've created a macro in my personal wkbk,however, I dont know how to delete the macro completely. I tried to delete from tool --> macro.... , a pop up says I hav to unhide a wkbk to perform. For this, I dont really understand which workbk its asking actually? The orginal one when I was creating the marco? thx The workbook to unhide is Personal.xls. You do that from the Window menu. /On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:15:04 -0800, "kalz" <kalz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I've created a macro in my personal wkbk,however, I dont know how to delete &g...

Macro open a file in any drive/directory
Hello, I'm tryign to do a macro that will open a file. I want it to bring up the Open File dialog, so that users can search the file they want. Example, the file might be in any drive and one user might call the file differently, so need to be able for users to open the file. I know there'' GetFile code, but can't figure right coding. please advise any help. thank you, juan To show the file>open window use Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpen).Show -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Juan" <jhernan562@aol.com> wrote in message news:00c601c3dc5e$45ef40d0$a401...

Macro giving errors at workbook open
I have several macros built into this workbook. One of the macros is supposed to clear all fields in several different ranges. I get the error "cannot change part of a merged cell" and then when i removed any merged cells from the ranges i get some kind of global error. i wiil post my macro here, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Workbook : Option Explicit 'Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) ' Call ChkData ' If CancelA = True Then Cancel = True 'End Sub Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim RngName As Var...

Macros get disconnected
Hi All I would be very grateful for a little guidance over an issue that is puzzling me. I have a template with a number of macros attached. When I send the template by email to my co-worker, some of the macros don't appear on the form field's "Run macro on Entry or Exit". The macros do appear, however, in the Visual Basic editor. The template works perfectly well, until it is unprotected an edited. Thereafter, those form field that have "lost" the macro name/limk from their form fields don't work anymore. So, as long as the macros in the templ...

VBA Macro change column contents
I have a column in a worksheet which has a list of 3 digit numbers. I want to change the 3 digits to become 4 digits, the new fourth digit has to be a leading zero, i.e 355 to become 0355. I prefer the format of the digits to be a number but a text format would not be a problem. The length of the digits in the column are not static. i.e one month there may be 200 rows of data the next might be 300 and I would want the macro to cater for this variation. Thanks -- James James, A macro simply isn't necessary, select the column and apply a custom format of 0000 that...

MACRO-s
I finally got the Calendar by Chip Pearson to work, but when I tried to update it for November, it gives me grief about security, macros, and digital signatures. Can I remedy this? Dot Dot, The colander workbook contains macros, so you need to set your security setting (Tools menu, Macros, Security) to Medium or Low. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Dot Appleman" <dotappleman@comcast.net> wrote in message news:17b401c4c1d0$d4d0d270$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I finally got the Calendar by Chip Pearson t...

macro help #17
I am just learning Excel and I am trying to add a formula to some cells to do multiple functions. Here is what I am trying to do: IF G2=1 and H2=1, add "1" to E2 and delete G2 and H2. I have been told I need t create a macro for this. Any help on how to do it -- candyyoun ----------------------------------------------------------------------- candyyoung's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2679 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40054 I think your code (with no validation at all!) would look something li...

Macro not working with Excel 2003
I just upgraded excel 97 to 2003 and I was using some macros saved in Personal.xls, but now I lost all the custom toolbar that I had before, and this Macro does not work it says "Can not find prject or library" (macro is to have 1 custom menu) and stop in Type:=msoControlPopup. Sub Auto_Open() Dim NewMenu As Object Dim SubMenu As Object Dim ToolBarActivate As Object Set NewMenu = CommandBars.FindControl(Type:=msoControlPopup, _ Tag:="AuditPack") If NewMenu Is Nothing Then Set ToolBarActivate = CommandBars.ActiveMenuBar Set NewMenu = To...

Macro to "save as"
I want to make a macro that will "save as" my exel file using a cell content for the file name.(using copy-paste When i do this, it copies the cell content into the macro as text, and so when the cell content changes for the next "save as" the text in the macro does not. Happy Holidays Below is what is writen in the macro, as seen in the macro editor. The number in quotation marks, is the value that was in cell F3. If I change le last digit from a 5 to a 6 in F3 and run the macro again, it does not look at the new number in F3, and tries to re-save under the same name ...

Excel 2003; Open & Disable macros
Could anyone tell me how to use VBA (Excel) to open a file but DISABL macros as it does. An old Excel 97 workbook has a worksheet.calculate formula that resize columns; but it keeps crashing the macro. Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() Cells.Select ' <-- This crashes the macro in 2003 but not '97?! Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit ...etc. What I'd like to be able to do is to open their file but disable thei <old> macros. bit like this workbook.open := "blah blah" Macrodisable = TRUE or something like that. Pls help -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Removing Values from Chart by Checkbox
Hi. I used Jon Peltier's Chart by Checkbox example. It is really amaising, but I am using it for more than 3 Ys. Is it possible not to show items that are not selected (have value #N/A) on the legend of the chart or on X axis? Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...