Chart Links ?

We have a workbook ('Book1') that we need to archive every week.
In this workbook there are 3 charts (on a tab called 'graphs') which have
source data linked to a tab called 'data' all within the same workbook.
When we 'SaveAs' to a different location the source code of the charts is
remaining with the original workbook ('Book1') and not with the newly saved
workbook ('Book2').

Why is this happening, and how do we fix it????

Kevin

0
kcarte10 (31)

Kevin,

This doesn't sound like normal Excel behaviour...

What you've described should only happen if you copy
the 'charts' worksheet on its own into a new workbook and
then save it. I can't think of any options that would
alter this...

What does the series formula for each of the original
charts in Book1 look like. How does this compare to the
series formula for the same chart in Book2? (the series
formula appears in the formula bar when you select a chart
series).

Cheers,
Dave
(at Dunton!)

0
dramage2 (5)
12/15/2003 1:31:40 PM
Thanks for reply
  This is what is happening
Book1 has this as the source data
       Name                        = data!$I$26
       Values                      = data!$I$27:$I$38

when it is saved (book2) it becomes

       Name                        = 'D:\Documents\[Book1.xls]data'!$I$26
       Values                      =
'D:\Documents\[Book1.xls]data'!$I$27:$I$38
  any ideas?

"Dave Ramage" <dramage2@ford.com> wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> This doesn't sound like normal Excel behaviour...
>
> What you've described should only happen if you copy
> the 'charts' worksheet on its own into a new workbook and
> then save it. I can't think of any options that would
> alter this...
>
> What does the series formula for each of the original
> charts in Book1 look like. How does this compare to the
> series formula for the same chart in Book2? (the series
> formula appears in the formula bar when you select a chart
> series).
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
> (at Dunton!)

0
kcarte10 (31)

Format Chart Area
In Office 2003 (v11.0) the "Format Chart Area" window has the "shadow" check box, but is missing the "Round corners" check box. Are there any suggestions for restoring this check box, short of reinstalling. -- Thank you Best Regards John -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Shane Devenshire "John Smith" wrote: > In Office 2003 (v11.0) the "Format Chart Area" window has the "shadow" check > box, but is missing the "Round corners" check box. Are there any suggestions > for restoring this c...

In Visio how can I link a shape to a word file
I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? On Tue, 31 May 2005 05:57:21 -0700, BB1066 <BB1066@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am creating a flowchart and would like to know if I can use the Shapes as >buttons and get them to link to a word file stored on a drive? Select the shape then from the 'Insert' menu select 'Hyperlinks'. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/ SanDriLa - SDL/MSC/TTCN/UML2 application for Visio http...

Pivot Chart
I am studying for a test and created a pivot chart successfully. The instructions then say to select the chart and go to 3dView. My 3d View is greyed out. Where did I go wrong? Thank you. First, change the chart to a 3-D sub-type: Select the chart Choose Chart>Chart type From the sub-types, select a 3-D type Click OK Then, the 3-D View command will be available on the menu. ~D~ wrote: > I am studying for a test and created a pivot chart successfully. The > instructions then say to select the chart > and go to 3dView. My 3d View is greyed out. > > Where di...

Removing wire frame in 3D surface chart.
I'm am experiencing difficulty to view 3D surface chart as the number of data points are increased due to the wire frames in the chart. Is there any way to remove wire frame in a 3D chart? Thanks, Hi Changyok, To get rid of the frame you need to set the border for each of the legend entries to none. The quickest way to do this is to click the legend, then click the legend marker for the first entry. Double click and set the border to none. After the dialog is closed use the left arrow key to move to the next entry. Press F4 to apply changes to the series. repeat for all entries. C...

Linked Charts Lose Formatting
I'm creating a "dashboard" for my company, and as part of this, am linking various information (charts, tables, documents) into one Excel file, and I'm then saving the file as a web page for others to browse. Everything seems to be working, but some of the charts I've copied from another Excel file are losing their numeric formatting. For example, the horizontal axis is formatted as dates in the original file, but in the linked file, they show up as the date serial number (i.e., 39325, 39326, etc.). Also, the numbers in the data table for the chart are no long...

Sheet linking to Another File, HLP! #2
Yea i have used the hyperlink method, but it simply opens up the othe file on a separate worksheet. I really need to bring it into the main file as a sheet -- FultonHoga ----------------------------------------------------------------------- FultonHogan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1569 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27226 hi, hyperlinks do not import data. it is just a reference to where the data is at. If you need to import, then hyperlink is not what you are after. If it is a one time thing, then c...

Hyperlink link in workflow emails (CRM 4.0)
Hi, Got so many articles but all are perfect. Using CRM 4.0. I would like to include hyperlink in Workflow email. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.crm&tid=bbf7c5cf-4a61-45b4-a8e7-8c37eebcffed&cat=en_US_f9cb8267-48ed-4f92-9f39-209bbcb29eb1&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1 Issue is: Email generated through workflow, but the http... shows as plain text, not as hyperlink. Any suggestion will be appreciated. -mac Hello John, Did you copy and paste in a hyperlink, or type in the url? You may want to copy and paste a hyper...

Add source data to an existing chart?
Hello! I am building a chart to display, by date, data in columns G (breakfast), D (lunch), and J (dinner). I can get the chart with dates along one axis and column G along the other, but how do I add the data from D and J to create a stacked bar, to show for each day how each of the three columns compare and give a daily total for all three meals? :confused: THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! :) -- navychef ------------------------------------------------------------------------ navychef's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29457 View this threa...

plots sent to to a chart tab do not show plot & I loss the plot
I have a spreadsheet that has a chart tab with a plot of data from another part of the spreadsheet. Now, however, the chart is empty and when I try to send any plot to a chart tab the plot is lost and the chart tab is empty. This is happening now in all my spreadsheets the plot can be created within a spreadsheet but as soon as I move it to a tab the plot is lost and the chart tab has nothing in it. !!!????!!!! ...

Combination charts #8
I am new to Excel 2007. I cannot find how to plot a combination chart - stacked area with a line superimposed but not stacked. Values of line and total stacked area will be of the same order of magnitude Debbie: I don't think you can do it in 007. Charts like this that I prepared in 003 and brought into 007 went bonkers. Even stacked column charts have problems with the non-stacked line. On Feb 12, 8:52 am, Debbie424242 <Debbie424...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am new to Excel 2007. I cannot find how to plot a combination chart - > stacked area with a l...

Pivot Chart update
I'm using Excel 2007. I created a simple 2 column pivot table and a pivot chart based on the table. When I change the filtering on the table the chart doesn't update to the new values like it is supposed to. Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be turned on or what????? Hi Sharon I have a Pivot Chart in EXCEL 2007 on the screen in front of me. There isn’t a setting that needs to be turned on. In my PivotTable Field List I have two items selected:- MARKET Revenue Last Year I have another field:- REGION - turned off at the moment. I drag REGIO...

Copying charts
I'm using office 2000 SP3, win 2000. I routinely paste excel charts into word as enhanced metafiles and set the line thicknesses and font sizes in excel to produce similar looking charts. I have just installed SP3 and now I find that when the charts are pasted into word, the font and line thickness now appear much smaller than they did with SP2. Do you know why it has done this and is there a solution? Thanks Charles ...

position of chart on page moves when outline expands
Hi, I have two charts I have made to the right of a budget table. The top chart is positioned near the top of the page, the second, a smaller summary chart is just under the first one. Problem is, the Budget table is an expandable outline that can expand by dozens of rows. When in expanded mode, the second chart moves way down off the visible page and is only viewable by scrolling, unless I collapse the outline again. The first chart is anchored at the top where little expansion takes place, thus little movement. Is there any way I can prevent this second chart from moving down when ...

Need an Idea on Arranging Data for a Chart
I have an Access Database that has thousands of records in it. Each record has the following fields (simplified): Date, Site, Seconds I have a workbook that wueries the database, and brings in data into a table for each site that has the Date and Seconds on each line of the table. I would like to graph the data, based on groupings that the user will choose, so maybe they would like to each data point on the line be the average for a week, and the line would show 10 weeks, etc. What I am struggling with is how to get from the frist table, to one that is grouped by day, or week, or mont...

Excel charts will not go back to Landscape when selected
When I am on a chart sheet and change orientation from landscape to portrait, I cannot recover the landscape orientation. I've tried creating new charts, which originate in Landscape...same trouble...once the orientation is in Portrait, the Landscape orientation will not recover. Any ideas? -- Please, please consider buying GM vehicles; world class quality...really! Recovery: Changed default printer away from a Ricoh product. Why would the print driver influence ability to change View Orientation? I was not attempting to print anything. -- Please, please consider buyi...

Create chart from List Box
How do I use a List Box, with the months in it, allowing the user to click on a month and pull up that particular chart? Do I have to create several charts and use the list box as a hyperlink or can I have the chart create itself? TIA, Brenda Jon Peltier has instructions on his web site that may help you: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html Brenda wrote: > How do I use a List Box, with the months in it, allowing > the user to click on a month and pull up that particular > chart? Do I have to create several charts and use the > list b...

how to creat a chart with t diffrrent scales
hi can any one help me in creating a chart with 2 diff. y axis scales like 0 to 1000 and 0 to 0.001 but x axis being the same or vice versa please Hi, You will need 3 columns of data. Column A contains x axis labels Column B contains data with values in the range 0 to 1000 Column C contains data with values in the range 0 to 0.0001 Select all the data and use the chart wizard to create a line chart. Select the 2nd series, one with the values 0 to 0.0001, press CTRL+1 to bring up the format dialog. On the Axis tab choose Secondary axis. If you want a chart type of column then you will ne...

Line chart zero values
I am trying to do a automated line chart that updates as users input over the next 12 weeks... the chart is consisting of 12 weeks on the x axis and % on the y. The problem im having is the values in the table that the chart is picking up from are formulas... but if the formula result is zero or ""(blank) I want the line chart to ignore it... rather than plot zero values making the line drop when a nil value or blank... for rest of the whole 12 weeks...? eg week 1 = 10% week 2 = 11% week 3 = I want the line to stop at week 2...? but because to work out the % is a formula...

Scatter chart with columns instead of points
I need to create a chart showing the number of students who received each numerical grade on test. The spacing between grades is not equidistant (ex: 65, 70, 90, etc.) and I need to show the true spacing on the x-axis. So I chose a scatter chart because the other charts make the points of equal distance on the x-axis. The trouble is I need to represent the data as columns so if two students scored a 65 and eight scored a 90, the 90 column would much higher. Is there a way to add vertical columns to a scatter chart? Put your grades in a column, and include the grades which had none. ...

Charts.add stopped working
Hi all I programmed an application which adds a chart to a sheet with a simple: Range("A1:B3").Select Charts.Add But now excel gives me a Runtime Error 1004 while creating the chart. However, if I set up a chart manually and record the macro it does the exact same thing. if I run the macro afterwards, I still get the 1004! Any suggestions are welcome Thanks in advance Carlo Hi, What do the cells A1:B3 contain? Cheers Andy Carlo wrote: > Hi all > > I programmed an application which adds a chart to a sheet with a simple: > > Range("A1:B3").Select &...

Chart showing rates of increase
I am a trainer and have been given the fictitious scenario described below to test my Excel skills. My question is: What is the best way to build a chart to show the RATES OF INCREASE between Price of Crude Oil and the Cost of Heating Oil for three different companies. Here is he scenario: You are asked to put some learning together for a group of litigation attorneys who will be off site for a trial. They need to learn the easiest way to turn an excel spreadsheet into a chart and put it into PowerPoint presentation. The spreadsheets are not very complex they say. They are tracking...

Changing a bar chart
In a standard bar chart, with say 5 yrs of data, I wish to make the 2006 bar a stacked bar with the lower part the ytd and the upper part of the bar the estimated year end. Pls help. -- \\\|/// \\ ~ ~ // ( @ @ ) --oOOo-(_)-oOOo--- Charlie Woll You could enter the data in two rows, then create a stacked column chart from all the data. For example: 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 YTD 50 55 60 65 30 Est 40 Charles Woll wrote: > In a standard bar chart, with say 5 yrs of data, ...

Error opening Publisher files with links to Excel
When opening my Publisher file with tables linked to Excel, I get an error message which says 'Microsoft Excel has experienced an error and needs to shut down' I have successfully opened these linked files many times previously. I repaired both Excel and Publisher to no effect then reinstalled them also to no effect. I have plenty of RAM (512MB) and the combined Publisher and Excel files amount to just about 15MB. I allowed the error message to be sent to Microsoft, often this directs to a solution but there was no feedback. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks, What ...

Linking Purchase Requisition with Sales Order
Dear Gurus! I have a small requirement from my client. He wants to create Purchase Requisition through Sales Order. i.e. copy all the content of sales order in a purchase requisition so that he doesnt put everything again. Can we do this in GP 10. If we cant do it, please give me an advice of how to develop an enhancement over it i.e. which table to use and where to get the procedures. Thanks and Best Regards Sajid ...

radar chart
i am trying to do a radar chart of activities of my organization in comparison to other organizations. as a result, i have stacked filled in areas, however i am not able to make them transparent so as to see the area under the one that is on top. There is a tab for "Transparency" under "Patterns" - "Fill Effects" when I double click on an area i want to make transparent, but I cannot make it work. The transparency tab remains unresponsive. Anybody have any advice? Thanks. 1. Buy a Mac (ugh!) 2. Apply some trig to adapt these techniques to a radar chart: ...