Changing Of Values After A Copy And Paste Special: Why ?

Hello,

I tried the new user Excel Forum, but no luck.
Would like to try here, as this really has me baffled, and a bit concerned.

Using Excel 2007 and Windows7

This sure seems "funny," and was hoping someone might explain it for me:

In B1 I have the value 154.22
In B2 I have the value  33.74

In E1 I have 154000000
In E2 I have 33740000

I copy from Column E, and do a Paste Special in Column B

Column B looks correct, as it now has in it:

B1 the value 154220000
B2 the value 33740000

But-

E1 has changed to 1.5422E+14
E2 has changed to 3.374E+13

In the Paste Special dialog box that came up I selected for Paste:
Values, and Operation: None

As the values in Column B look correct, I'm satisfied, I think.

The values in column E, with the incredibly large exponents, e.g., the
E+14, were meant to be deleted after the Copy and Paste Special anyway.

But why have they (column E)changed to such a large value ?
I find this very disturbing, and would like to understand what happened.

Thanks,
Bob
0
Bob

You didn't what is in E1 and E2.  Perhaps they have formulae like
=B1*1000000 ?  In which case, their new values are correct, given the new
values which you have pasted into B1 and B2.

I assume that when you told us "In E1 I have 154000000" you perhaps meant to
say "In E1 I have 154220000" ?
--
David Biddulph

"Bob" <rgsros@notme.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I tried the new user Excel Forum, but no luck.
> Would like to try here, as this really has me baffled, and a bit
> concerned.
>
> Using Excel 2007 and Windows7
>
> This sure seems "funny," and was hoping someone might explain it for me:
>
> In B1 I have the value 154.22
> In B2 I have the value  33.74
>
> In E1 I have 154000000
> In E2 I have 33740000
>
> I copy from Column E, and do a Paste Special in Column B
>
> Column B looks correct, as it now has in it:
>
> B1 the value 154220000
> B2 the value 33740000
>
> But-
>
> E1 has changed to 1.5422E+14
> E2 has changed to 3.374E+13
>
> In the Paste Special dialog box that came up I selected for Paste: Values,
> and Operation: None
>
> As the values in Column B look correct, I'm satisfied, I think.
>
> The values in column E, with the incredibly large exponents, e.g., the
> E+14, were meant to be deleted after the Copy and Paste Special anyway.
>
> But why have they (column E)changed to such a large value ?
> I find this very disturbing, and would like to understand what happened.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

0
David

Dynamic Bar of Pie Chart: Series1 Label & Value Issue
I have created a Bar of Pie chart and everything works great. I even have named ranges on my data so that the bar portion automatically updates when the data changes. However the Series1 Label on the pie itself does not change to reflect the new total so that it is the sum of all the values in the right column below. Does that make sense? I have one series and my data looks like this: Contracts 100 Name1 100 Name2 150 Name3 200 Name4 75 Name5 50 Name6 25 The pie portion has Contracts & Other as labels with the totals of...

negative values on axes
hi there; this is my first mail here. well my x axes start from -2 and my Y axes data start from -5, I change both to -5 (scale) they are shown (XY scatter dots) as cross, like + sign. what I need: how to change the graph punt the joint axes point from 0 to -5? so the chart shws as usual not like a cross. Best Darius Hi, Change the Values axis crosses at to -5 for both axis. This is an option on the Scale tab of the Format Axis dialog. Cheers Andy Darius wrote: > hi there; > this is my first mail here. well my x axes start from -2 and my Y axes data > start from -5, I chang...

Hide rows with value "Hours"
I would like to toggle rows to hide/unhide based on the value "Hours" in column B. I think filtering is an issue to some blank seperator rows and merged cell headings. There are no merged cells involving Column B. Thanks. Public Sub ProcessData() Const TEST_COLUMN As String = "B" '<=== change to suit Dim i As Long Dim iLastRow As Long With ActiveSheet iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, TEST_COLUMN).End(xlUp).row For i = 1 To iLastRow .Rows(i).Hidden = .Cells(i, TEST_COLUMN).Value = "Hours" Next i End With ...

How to export values from XY (Scatter) graf?
Is it possible to export each x and y value from XY (Scatter) graph? ...

Changing Front End Back End Connection Through VBA
Hi, In a form in the front-end the location of the backend is mentioned. (this is the result of a dlookup from a table that holds the locations of all backends; user chooses which backend to connect to) How can I define that when the user clicks a connect button, all the tables in the front end are connected to the back end which is chosen? Thnx for your help! hi Rishi, On 04.02.2010 12:12, Rishi wrote: > How can I define that when the user clicks a connect button, all the tables > in the front end are connected to the back end which is chosen? http://www.mvps.o...

Book1 changes itself?
I have used XL97 on Windows 2000 for a long time. Just lately, XL has changed its behaviour, and I can't work out why. There are 2 problems, but they didn't start at the same time. 1. If I open XL and then immediately close it again, without doing anything, it asks me do I want to save the changes to Book1? What changes to Book1? 2. Whenever I start XL, re-calculation is set to manual. This is true even if I finish the previous session by re-setting the previous spreadsheet to automatic re-calculation and saving it. I tried saving different versions of Book1.xlt and in the end I del...

changing default language
I have the French version of office x, but my French is not as good as my English. I have a difficult time reading some of the options such as file, edit, view, etc. I was hoping there was some way to change the language to English. I don't know if this would mean changing some setting or uninstalling and reinstalling. Please help me. Thanks. In article 37b5ebd9.0410201526.7b053dd@posting.google.com, Brian Blanchette at bblanchette@cox.net wrote on 10/20/04 16:26: > I have the French version of office x, but my French is not as good as > my English. I have a difficult time readi...

How change dimensions of data label text box in pie chart?
In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie chart. I can change the font and allignment of the text within the text box. But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't know about? This is a deficiency in Excel's charting capabilities. The text elements seem like regular text boxes, but you are unable to resize or reshape them. Even VBA can't do this. The workar...

I want to change a "No" to a "Yes" i
I have a work sheet that if on page 2 the cell says No, then on page 1 it says Yes and if on page 2 the cell is Yes then on page 1 it is No? What formula do I use, and how do I cereat it without getting a circle error? You need to define, "the cell". Which / Worksheet / cell(s), specifically? You also need to define, "it". Which Worksheets / cell(s), specifically, do you mean by this? "Circuitman57" wrote: > I have a work sheet that if on page 2 the cell says No, then on page 1 it > says Yes and if on page 2 the cell is Yes then on pa...

If cell value is greater than another cell value, clear contents.
Okay, hopefully this is the last question today! I've found the below formula in one of the posts here, but my brain has completely failed on me and I'm not sure how to adapt it to my requirements. I have a value which is entered by the user after a prompt, that populates in cell G4 in a sheet called 'Lookup'. For arguments sake, the current value is 30/11/09. I have another worksheet, 'Data', which has a column populated with dates (say column B). I'd like a macro that looks in column B on the data sheet, and clears out any dates which are gr...

How do you ensure that null-valued elements are not serialized?
I am using complex types in order to support serialization/deserialization of floating point numbers, since floating points can't be null. I've seen how to suppress attributes that are "not specified", such as having a float member called Value, and a bool member called ValueSpecified. This instructs the XML Serializer to omit that attribute altogether if it wasn't "Specified". But how can I tell it to omit the XML element altogether? Here's the problem: I deserialize an object that looks like this: <person> <name>Joe<...

Capture initial value of text box
Not sure why I can't seem to get this to work, but here's what I'm trying to do: I have a text box, 'Actual_Due_Date', tied to a field in a table. In the same table is a text box named 'Org_Due_Date'. When the initial value is set in the 'Actual' field, I want to capture and store it permanently in the 'Org' field. I have two forms, a New Project form and an Edit Project form. My thought was to just setup a simple macro in the New Project form in the 'Actual' field that says After Update set the 'Org' field equal to the 'A...

Select buttons pasted into Excel
I pasted a table from my investment account into Excel. The tabl included option buttons. I can get rid of the alpha/numeric part of th paste but the buttons remain. I've tried to format & copy empty cells but the button remains. I ca turn on the button -- nothing happens that I am aware of. How do I get rid of it?? Delete or clear doesn't work. joe -- jzemane ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jzemanek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1463 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthrea...

CultureInfo changed on Callback threads?
Basic scenario -Winforms client calling an asp.net web service on Windows X Problem: When I perform an async web service call from a winform client, my Thread.CurrentCulture and Thread.CurrentUICulture are changed from the initiating thread's culture Some code Set all the Cultures to a different culture static void Main() Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("fi-FI") Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = new CultureInfo("fi-FI") Application.CurrentCulture = new CultureInfo("fi-FI") Application.Run(new SomeForm()) Make an Async web...

Word 2003: Possible to Use both Forms and Tracked Changes Protect
I've not been able to figure out a way to protect a document so that one section is protected for filling in forms only, and another section is protected in tracked changes mode. I want to create better contract templates for use by our sales teams (thus the forms protection - they can only fill in the gray fields and not alter other sections of the template), while allowing our clients to made modifications to the terms in the subsequent pages. I find Word protection features very limited. Hopefully it's better in 2007. Thank you. A document can only have one type ...

Number of cells that have same values
Imagine there are two columns of cells, each row of two cells are corresponding to each other. How to find out the number of rows where the two corresponding cells have the same value? Assume your Columns are A and B, and your rows go down to 20, Array enter this formula (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER): =SUM(IF(A1:A20=B1:B20,1,0)) Change the column and row references to fit your data. -- Regards, Dave "Lingyan Hu" wrote: > Imagine there are two columns of cells, each row of two cells are > corresponding to each other. How to find out the number of rows where the two > corres...

How do I change the default directory for Publisher 2003?
My c: drive was short on space after I upgraded to Office 2003 so I moved the clip art to a separate drive. No linking problems with Word, XP, etc - just Publisher where I really USE clip art! How can I tell Publisher that my clip art - and ALL pictures - are on a different drive? On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:25:03 +0000, The Kat wrote (in article <93A63632-5792-4B19-A2F5-99EE5260C3FB@microsoft.com>): > My c: drive was short on space after I upgraded to Office 2003 so I moved the > clip art to a separate drive. No linking problems with Word, XP, etc - just > Publisher where ...

How to change 'Address List Name' Property from a MailEnabled Public Folder?
I want to change the 'Address List Name' Property of my MailEnabled Public Folder from 'Same as folder name' to 'Use this name', but i found no Property or Method. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/maintain/ex2kwsh.mspx With the attached Script i can modify SMTP Adress and Alias, but not the Address List Name Entry for the Addressbook. Who can help? ' ------------ Dim strURLOpen Dim strURLItem Dim objMailRecipient Dim objConnection Dim objRecord Dim objFolder Const adModeReadWrite = 3 Const adOpenIfExists = &H2000000 Const adCreateC...

Options for Accept Changes -- 2007
I'm a newbie in Word 2007 (just changed over from 2003 on Monday). So far, I'm not impressed. (Okay, I'm not favorably impressed.) On the review ribbon, the default option for the Accept check mark is "Accept and Move To Next." Is there any way to change that default to simply "Accept Change"? 99.9% of the time, I want to accept a change AND STAY RIGHT WHERE I AM. I don't want to jump several pages and then try to figure out where I was. While I'm at it, Shift-F5 doesn't seem to work to take me back to where I was. Is there another ...

Copy above row data into blank fields below
Hi. Certain fields within my data do not repeat, but I'm trying to find a way to populate the blank cells from the preceding row. Here's an example: Employee_Number Last_Name First_Name 123456 Smith John Judy Ben 123457 Johnson Bill Ruth Eddy Sally As you can see, it didn't repeat the Employee Number ...

VBA for setting max value in scroll bars on charts?
I have 20 dynamic charts with scroll bars and I want to avoid manually adjusting the maximum value each month on the 20 scroll bars. Is there some VBA I could use to do this? Thank you! Don't know if it will work in this case, but a good place to start is with the macro recorder. Turn it on (Tools | Macro > Record new macro...), do whatever it is you want to do to one scrollbar by hand, turn off the recorder, and switch to the VBE. Did XL generate the necessary code? If you are using the controls from the Forms toolbar, it did. If from the Control Toolbox, it probably didn&...

Change e-mail default paragraph setting
Trying to change e-mail default setting: from double to single space between paragraphs. I'm using Word as my e-mail editor. Thanks. I'd suggest posting your question in the Word newsgroup. This one is for issues with Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "wwinkler" <wwinkler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41AAA18C-917F-4150-9042-773F0ADBA2B2@microsoft.com... > Trying to change e-mail default setting: from double to single space > between > paragraphs. I'm using Word as my e-mail editor. Thanks. --- Outgoing ...

A cell copied onto one worksheet from another worksheet does display same formatting.
I have 2 worksheets in my workbook. On worksheet "A" i have a number in red font with black background in cell B1. On worksheet "B" the contents of cell A1 is =A!B1. This copies the value located in cell B1 of worksheet "A" but not the color formatting. How can that get copied as well? Hi A formula has one single job: to return a value into its own cell. No formats, no copying, no dancing, no fun, only that. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please "Mark" <mark@lbrgroup.com> skrev i melding news:32B8AA2D-DA1D-4B3F-AF73-9...

Storing distinct values in an array #2
Aladin Akyurek Wrote: > Try to run Advanced Filter on your data with the "Unique records onl > option" option checked. No, i cant do tha -- shimee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shimeel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27427 shimeel Wrote: > No, i cant do that You want formulas -- Aladin Akyure ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Aladin Akyurek's Profile: http://www.exce...

Removing some values in a Object
Hi, I hope someone can help me; my Exchange 2003 (upgraded from 5.5 to 2003) servers have the following problem, (From a newsgroup post: "You are getting JET_errRecordTooBigForBackwardCompatibility. Your object has too many values on it. SDP needs to stamp another one, and is unable to do it, because the object is full. You can only have ~850 values (non-linked) on an object in W2K mode, and ~1300 in w2k3 mode. Just go to this object and remove some values. Most likely, you have too many certs on this object. I have also seen too many IM contacts. Use adsiedit or ldp. LDP is the ...