Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously

I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a
large worksheet simultaneuously.  I want to identify the
range and then adjust the formula in the entire range.  Is
there a way that I can highlight the range and then change
to formula in each, simultaneously?  For example, if I
wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would
I do this?

Thanks,

Michael

0
merkurrr (1)

You could put 2 in an empty cell.
Copy it
Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section.
Then clear out that 2.

But it really depends on what kind of change you're making.  If you wanted to
add =abs() around your formula, I think you'll have to cycle through each cell.

Although if all the formulas are the same, you could do it with one assignment:

	activesheet.range("a1:a99").formula = "=abs(sum(b1:e1))"

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Michael" <merkurrr@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a
> large worksheet simultaneuously.  I want to identify the
> range and then adjust the formula in the entire range.  Is
> there a way that I can highlight the range and then change
> to formula in each, simultaneously?  For example, if I
> wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would
> I do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

0
Don

Open read only but update when changes are made / refresh
Hi, If anyone can point in the right direction to answering this question, I would be very thankful. I was wondering if it's possible to lock an excel file and have other people open a read-only copy but have them recieve notifications when the locked file is updated. Is this possible? If you need any clarification, please ask. -Watson ...

Creating formula for timeline
I am trying to find a formula in Excel that will help me manage the following report: I have 2 columns...the first gives a list of months...ex. Jan, Feb, March, etc. I want a formula that will automatically populate the second column with a month that is 3 months past the first column...ex. 1st column is Jan 2nd is April. 1st column is Feb 2nd is May... Is this possible. I don't want specific dates in the month...just the month itself. Lynne This should do the trick for you. 'Borrowed' from a post a month or so back Remember they are text so no date calculations can be...

Multiple Versions Of File
All of a sudden excel is creating multiple versions of copies of a file When I open my file, it opens about 6 windows....all with the same fil name but with a :2, or :3 at the end to indicate another copy of th file. Problem is, I don't know how this was created, but I want to ge back to having just one version. Because now when I open the file i opens 6 windows in excel. Can anyone help? I am running Excel 2002 with Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed. Thanks -- ss ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.c...

How do I advance cell numbers?
Hi! In one worksheet, I have two columns: 1 column of dates and one column of numbers. On this worksheet, I sum the column of numbers based on the previous 90 days. Is there a way that I can enter a new date and number in one place on a different worksheet, and have it load that date and number in the next blank spaces on the worksheet I describe in the above paragraph? I would then want the next date and number I load to advance to the next blank spaces on the first worksheet, etc., etc. It is important to keep the 90-day total current. Thanks in advance... Sincere...

How to arrange alphabet and numbers in a cell
Hi, In one cell I have numbers and alphabets and how to arrange ascending or descending for example before Cell A1 = 6532ADC After Cell A1 = ACD2356 what formula I have to use? VBA code is preferable. Thanks Try the code below, used like =SORTCELL(A1, TRUE) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Function SortCell(myR As Range, OrdAsc As Boolean) As String Dim myArr() As String Dim myTemp As Variant Dim i As Integer Dim j As Integer 'Split the string into characters ReDim myArr(1 To Len(myR.Value)) For i = 1 To Len(myR.Value) myArr(i) = Mid(myR.Value, i, 1) Next i 'Do the sort For i = LBou...

background colour of sheet gone gray need to change to whit
On jst one sheet in my book of several sheets the background has turned gray. I copied it and it was still gray. How do I change it back to white. Try clicking on VIEW > NORMAL Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Change Background colour of worksheet" <Change Background colour of worksheet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24CA1CF3-AA1C-475A-814B-53023C214675@microsoft.com... > On jst one sheet in my book of several sheets the background has turned > gray. > I copied it and it was still gray. How do I change it back to white. ...

apply the formula sign
Hi, I=B4ve imported data from other application and some cells have some formulas like 10*12 but without the =3D sign. How can I apply the =3D sign to all the cells quickly without going one by one so that it calculates the formula. Example, =3D10*12, should be 120. Thanks!! Copy this UDF to a general module in your workbook. Function EvalCell(RefCell As String) Application.Volatile EvalCell = Evaluate(RefCell) End Function In an adjacent cell enter =EvalCell(cellref) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:12:14 -0800 (PST), canvas <spyele123@g...

Excel 2000 formula recalc problem
Hi everybody, I have a problem making sure all the formulas in the spreadsheet recalculate, when recalc is called from within a macro. I have a complicated spreadsheet model that takes a second or two to recalculate. I run a macro that: 1. Sets up parameters 2. Forces recalc 3. Grabs the output 4. Cycles back to step 1 with different parameters, etc. My code looks something like this: For j = pageFirst To pageLast Step pageStep <set up parameters of the j-th scenario> Application.CalculateFull <save the output, which is just a rect...

Extracting a column from a named range
Dear all, I have named a range "Scores" across 3 sheets (i.e. Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$B$10). How can I find the median of values in "Scores" in Sheet1 ONLY? I don't know how to provide the target range in the function MEDIAN(). Best Regards, Andy Chan On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:24:06 +0800, "Andy Chan" <chankhandy-msnewsgroup@yahoo.com.hk> wrote: >Dear all, > > I have named a range "Scores" across 3 sheets (i.e. >Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$B$10). How can I find the median of values in "Scores" >in Sheet1 ONLY? I don...

Improperly Saved Changes on an Attachment
Is there any way to retrieve changes made to an attachment that were manually saved, but not "saved as" and placed in a folder on my computer? I use Vista's Windows Mail to recieve my mail. The file is probably located in a folder somewhere in C:\Users\(youraccount)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ "\AppData" is normally hidden "\Temporary Internet Files" is normally a hidden protected Operating System file You'll have to remove the checkmark (if they're hidden) in Windows Explorer: Organize - Folder & Sea...

Changing the Alias in Exchange
Hi, I have a problem with an alias for one of my users. Even though I change the name in the properties, it keeps reverting to the old name of reception. How do I get Exchange to keep the settings of mail@.... rather than reception@... I am running SBS 2003 with Exchange included. Workstations are XP machines. Look forward to response. Thanks Mil What does your default recipient policy look like? -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://exchange.mvps.org "The Geek" <ml@collinsco.com.au> wrote in message news:OU4CxbfxEHA.536@TK2MSFT...

Workflow generated task and changed owner
We are using a workflow to inform administration staff about a new generated order. That works fine and the task will be generated for the right CRM user. But, if we change the owner of that related order also the task previously generated by the workflow will be re-assigned to that nre owner. With CRM 3.0 it was working fine (left the task unchanged). With CRM 4.0 the task owner will be changed unexpected. The first thougt which comes to me is that it might have something to do with "Type of behaviour". Open the task entity and double click on N:1 relationship name Acco...

Change HTREEITEM's parent
I'm writing an app in MFC that has a treeview that can drag/drop onto itself using OLE drag operations. Point is, at the end I have a function to implement: void CMyTreeCtrl::MoveItem(HTREEITEM hToMove, HTREEITEM hNewParent) { } I've looked everywhere in the documentation and all over the web, and I can't find any documentation on how to make this happen. If possible, I want to avoid manually cloning the entire tree under hMove inside of hNewParent and then deleting hMove and its children. How do you move a treeview item in MFC or Win32? You have to use brute force.... th...

Change default # of print copies in Excel
I have an Excel 2003 SP3 document that defaults to 15 copies when printing it. It can be over-ridden, but people forget to do that and print too much. Can the '15' be changed to '1' and saved that way for future printing? How do you do it? Thanks, Stan Milbrath ...

formula switches to value ?!?
what toggle, got switched where ? if A7 contains the value: "Christopher" and in B9 I enter: "=A7", it automatically switches the formula to the resulting value (both in the cell, and in the formula bar; the value of B9 is now not "=A7", but: "Christopher") thanks in advance, -mark mark kubicki wrote: > what toggle, got switched where ? > > if A7 contains the value: "Christopher" > and in B9 I enter: "=A7", it automatically switches the formula to the > resulting value (both in the cell, and in the formula bar; ...

inserting multiple columns from combo list
Hey everybody, I am a newbie to access. I trying to pull employee firstName, lastName, and middleInitial from a table and insert them into one employee field in a timecard table. I get the drop down list to show complete names in the 3 columns but when I choose a name I only get the first name inserted into the employee field. Evidently the query is finding everything but I can't get them to cancatenate into the field. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andre Use the Column property of the combo box. The column reference is 0 based, so assuming your columns are First, Mi...

Formatting page header/footer using cell values.
Hello experts! Excel has a nice option to format various parts of a chart using cell values. Can the same be done for headers/footers, e.g. that the header displays value of cell A5. Thanks, Marko. Hi Marko, Try this... ActiveSheet.PageSetup.CenterFooter = Range("A5").Value Regards Ankur/Kanchan www.xlmacros.com Pygmalion wrote: > Hello experts! > > Excel has a nice option to format various parts of a chart using cell > values. Can the same be done for headers/footers, e.g. that the header > displays value of cell A5. > > Thanks, Marko. Thanks! ...

plotting "empty" cells that contain a formula that has returned a blank
Cells that appear empty, but contain a formula that has returned a blank, when plotted on a line chart, plot as ZEROS. This is in spite of setting tools, options, charts to "zero values not plotted". Does anyone know a way round this, please. thanks Bob Farey Instead of return a blank (" " or "") result, return a NA(). If you need a null string ("") for subsequent calculations or for aesthetic purposes, create a 2nd dummy range that has NA() instead of "". Plot the range with the NA()s -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com ...

Use a Date range to sum a column
What is the formula to sum Column F (the price) if the date is between 1/1/04 and 1/31/04 Date Pric 1/1/04 1073 2-A Druid Hills John Willis Homes Roger Swims $18,000.0 2/2/04 1074 3-A Druid Hills John Willis Homes Roger Swims $18,000.0 1/1/04 1075 1/7/04 1076 29 Darthmouth John Willis Homes Kevin Aycock $21,000.0 Thank you for your help. Looks like you are totaling per month =SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH($A$2:$A$200)=1),--($A$2:$A$200<>""),$F$2:$F$200) if you r...

Please help
Is there any way to set identically high resolution on external+internal LCD on this HPlaptop? I've NEVER tried an external, but today tried family LCD HDTV and instantly my laptop's own smaller display was also screw*ed up - resolution lowered from 1440x900 down to match that of externalLCDTV which is maximum of 1280x1024 or less. You might say so what? Well all the windows I had opened & unsuspectingly worked on external oversized display, amazing my parents with photos & news they've never seen before at such size, all those were distorted when I disable...

Q on MSExchange.org 'Hosting Multiple SMTP Domains on Exchange 2000"
Hi, Exchange 2K Following the example in the article, if I add 456.com to the default recipient policy, then a user who is currently tom.jones@123.com is also going to get mail for tom.jones@456.com, is that right? If so, what if there is another Tom Jones at 456.com and you want *him* to receive it? Even just to avoid confusion, I would rather my primary domain users not also have addresses for the other 3 domains we host. Do the other SMTP addresses have to be in the default policy or could they be in another, filtered one? Thanks, Peter You can create a separate Recipient Policy tha...

column headings have changed to numbers.
column headings have changed to numbers. My cells now read (1,1) Any suggestions on how to change back.. Hi Brenda tools / options / general - untick R1C1 reference style. Cheers JulieD "Brenda" <Brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:688B1077-8C36-4649-B0B5-1ED2B98BAC50@microsoft.com... > column headings have changed to numbers. > My cells now read (1,1) > Any suggestions on how to change back.. ...

Format a cell with numbers and user defined text
I want to format a cell that will take user defined numbers and text in the following format: 12345678-A Another example would be: 23454368-X The numbers, dash, and text refer to Medicaid identification numbers and I want to be able to have a constant format when these values are entered. ...

Multiple copy of emails in Outlook for Mac
I'm getting multiple (like 6, 7, 12) copies of the same email delivered to my Outlook inbox. Domainmonger (who hosts my page and my business email) blames RoadRunner, RoadRunner blames everyone else.... and said, "oh, it must be a virus!" Ran diagnostics with Domainmonger and RoadRunner (through which my business email is routed to my Outlook Express 5.2). Ran Norton Virus Scan and came up empty. Any thoughts or suggestions. Is there an Outlook Express/Mac guru over there who can help me out? Thanks! ~Erin ekande182@gmail.com ...

Change text color in a cell automatically
I have few checkboxes and what I am trying to do is to write a macro or format a cell in such a way so that every time I check out one of the check boxes the text (statement) that is in the same cell as the checkbox changes color automatically. ...