Changing column widths

I am trying to reduce the widths of several columns on my
worksheet and keep receiving the error "cannot shift
objects off sheet."  Can anyone let me know why I am
getting this error and how it can be overcome?  Thank you.

Andrew

Hi
you may have probelms with your used range. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Andrew Jones" <andrew.jones@etrade.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I am trying to reduce the widths of several columns on my
> worksheet and keep receiving the error "cannot shift
> objects off sheet."  Can anyone let me know why I am
> getting this error and how it can be overcome?  Thank you.
>
> Andrew

0
frank.kabel (11126)
9/30/2004 8:39:34 PM
Andrew

Sounds like cell comments getting in the way.

See KB Article  "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:34:23 -0700, "Andrew Jones" <andrew.jones@etrade.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to reduce the widths of several columns on my
>worksheet and keep receiving the error "cannot shift
>objects off sheet."  Can anyone let me know why I am
>getting this error and how it can be overcome?  Thank you.
>
>Andrew

0
Gord

How do you change OWA to another server?
OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change it...? charlie On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:20:38 -0500, "charles kuchar" <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote: >OWA is working on the exchange server through the website on the Exchange >server. First, is it a good thing to have the Web Server for OWA on a >different server from the Exchange server? And if so, how do you change >it...? charlie ...

LogOn - "Log On to Windows"
(I use a password but don't need 'Fast User Switching' and also deselect "Use the Welcome screen".) Then, sometimes, i elect to display a picture behind the classic Logon prompt "Log On to Windows" window. ( example: [HKey_Users\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop] "Wallpaper"="Volume:\\Path\\FileName.bmp" ) The default, and safe, position of the this window is center of the screen. Not that i loiter to long at this prompt, but it has started to occur to me (-aka- bug me) the it would be neater if i could position the 'L...

change axis info on radar charts
How do I get all axis on a radar chart to to display the axis numbers (for each axis individaully). Secondly, how does one get a radar chard with the various axis in different scales (ie Axis 1 scale 1 to 10, Axis2 scale 0 to 10 000, Axis3 scale 0 to 0.5) Alfred - Look for Radar Charts on Tushar Mehta's web site, http://tushar-mehta.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ alfred wrote: > How do I get all axis on a radar chart to to display the axis numbers (for > each axis i...

organising data from lines in word to excel columns
I have a word doc which contains lines of text that are formatted into sections like this: Page: Page Name Title: Page Title URL: www.page.com/page-name/ MetaKeywords: keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Metadescription: Page desc.. There are many of these in the doc that I have which I can copy and paste as plain text into excel but I then need to format them into columns likes so: Page Title URL MetaKeywords Metadescription Page Name Page Title www.page.com/page-name/ keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 Page descr... Does anyo...

AUTOFILTER-2 non-adjacent columns
How do I create an autofilter for columns that are not next each other? Example, COLUMN A and COLUMN C may be the only columns that are important for my purpose on a spread-sheet. "GaryW" wrote: > How do I create an autofilter for columns that are not next each other? > Example, COLUMN A and COLUMN C may be the only columns > that are important for my purpose on a spread-sheet. You can't. I'd just live with this constraint. Anyway, here's a sub that I came across that you could try to "remove" the autofilter in col B after it is applied to cols ...

finding column
Gooday all, I currently have some names in various columns but on the same same row. I have at the moment been able to search for a name in the column. But as I dont know the actual cell how can I find the cell name? example names are in D12, E12 .... P12 they are all on row 12 but I dont know the column. the search looks at each column untill it finds a match, if it gets to an empty cell on row 12 the search ends, if it find the cell I need to delete the column. Taking into acount that P12 may go as far as FF12!! I dont actualy know. Does this make sense? Use the MATCH() function: ...

Default document's path
Hello I recently posted a question regarding default path; I'd like to widen this question. Suppose we have MDI application (with two or more document types, if it does matter). After first call of (wizard generated) menu option "Open" or "Save" or "Save As" we can see dialog opened at location of current user's My Documents folder. I would like to change this path for one, default path. It seems to be extremely easy... I tried calling CDocument::SetPathName(strMyPath); - with absolutely no results. What should I change to set new path that will be used ...

sorting a column with number & letters
Hello All. This is my first post. I have a column that needs to b sorted. However, each number has a letter in front of it. Can someon help me sort this example: B196 B2 B205 B243 B27 I need it sorted by letter then by number smallest to largest. Thanks al -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi I would use two helper columns for this. e.g. B2: =LEFT(A2,1) C2: =--MID(A2,2,15) copy down for all rows and use column B + C for sorting -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hello All. This is my first post. I have a column that needs to be > sorted. However...

Changing colour of cell on a certain date
hi guys is it possible to change the colour a cell when the date in the box is reached. I have a spread sheet at work and have to do certain action on the 10th 14th & 28th day i.e if the 10th day is 07/05/07 (today) can i get it to change colour thanks Hi Conditional Formatting will do it. Select the all cell(s) you want to format. If the first cell in the range is B4 this is the cell we use. Choose Format>Conditional Format. Set condition 1 to Cell Formula is and type =DAY(B4)=10 in the input box. Choose the font color you want. Click Add and for condition 2 type =DAY(B4)=...

Publisher 2003 hyphenation can't be changed for one word
Hello: I'm trying to work on a newsletter, in a three column format that needs hyphenation turned on, so the justified text looks better. However, there is one word that it wants to hyphenate (the word is eScrip, a company name), which should not be hyphenated. I've seen older articles in this NG suggesting various work-arounds, including turning hyphenation off for the whole story, changing the font size, inserting carriage returns, and changing the spelling of the word itself. However, none of this is acceptable. Isn't there a way to select one word, and tell Publisher *not*...

how do i change chart legend entry in Excel?
Now it says "series 1" or similar and I can't figure out how to change it to the description that exists in a particular cell. Click once on the chart (activate it). The standard toolbar should show an option called "Chart". Click on "Chart" -> "Source Data". In the "Source Data" dialog box go to the "Series" tab. You can reference the cell that you want for the legend description via the "Name" input area. Or, you can type the name into that area to manually input it. -- John Mansfield "basm...

Select max value in a row and pick the column header
A B C D Result 1 2 3 4 D 1 2 4 3 C 3 1 2 4 D 4 3 2 1 A I would like to know the formula to get Result. Try... E2, copied down: =INDEX($A$1:$D$1,MATCH(MAX(A2:D2),A2:D2,0)) Hope this helps! In article <EE80A63E-A9ED-46D9-823A-D840AF7D6995@microsoft.com>, "EK" <EK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A B C D Result > 1 2 3 4 D > 1 2 4 3 C > 3 1 2 4 D > 4 3 2 1 A > > I would like to know the formula to get Result. Yes it does! Thanks. "Domenic" wrote: > Try... > > E2, copied down: > > =INDEX($A$1:...

Changing a forms name
years ago when starting my Access Program I allowed my main form the use the default name "Table1". I didn't know then how many other things I would be refering back to that form. Now I find new users getting confused. Question: I know MS will allow me to change the name and MS will try to change all references, but I know for experience that does always work. Can I assign an alias? Guess what my main "table" is called? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You can create a query with the appropriate name, and Access will use the query rather th...

Budget Changes to Effect Prior Periods Question
Money 2004 -- If you add a new monthly budget item through a recurring bill in November of 2003, how can you get it to effect your annual budget report for 2003 such that the budget amount shows for all prior months of 2003. For example, you have been paying rent by writing a check each month (Jan-Oct) and then you set up a recurring bill in November. On the annual budget report there will be nothing budgeted for Jan-Oct, only expenses occurred and therefore over budget. -- Kent Riesen Eureka, CA ...

Excel: wheres menu item to change file format conversion options?
Where in the Excel menus is the menu item to allow changing options for the file format converters? For example, to change the maximum line length for the ".prn" file converter. When you're saving a file as .prn??? If yes, then there is no setting to extend past 240 characters per line. Saved from a previous post: There's a limit of 240 characters per line when you save as .prn files. You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",5),5) & LEFT(B1&R...

bcp data to change sort order
I have followed the TK "How to BCP Data Out and Back into a New Database (875179)" a few times and it seems to work great. However, when bcp'ng the data back in, I do notice some errors as it flashes by in the dos screen, however, NONE of the .err files show any size other than 0k. After logging into Great Plains, I do notice that some information is completely missing. I check the tables and they are empty. I checked the in and out bat files and those tables are exported, then imported, the table is empty and its .err file is also blank. If the .err files do not show...

How to change the backcolor of the ListView (Detail mode) when lost focus
How to change the backcolor of the ListView (Detail mode) when lost focus? THanks ...

outlook identity changes
I accidently changed the identity on outlook and now it won't open. how do i get outlook to run now? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroupsmicr...

change cell value by code
I am trying to get the text value in cell D5 to alternate from "show dates" to "hide dates" depending whether cols A-C (where the dates are) are visible or not using the following: Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeRightClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) 'right clicking D5 will show/hide columns A-C (date, time and user name)) If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Range("D5")) Is Nothing Then Columns("A:C").EntireColumn.Hidden = Not Columns("A:C").EntireColumn.Hidden ==>Target.Value = "hide date...

printing specific columns
Hi Is there a way to print just selected columns? I have a sheet with 6 columns and I want to print 3 of them, the others are just for reference and formulation. Thanks Rick Hide those you don't want to print -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Fayette" <fayetpd@powersupply.net> wrote in message news:u0iJ2SNaEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is there a way to print just selected columns? I have a sheet with 6 columns > and I want to print 3 of them, the others are just for reference and > formulation. > > Thanks > Rick &g...

how do i setup a database that columns add up at the end of the we
i am new at this so please send me any info to oldfartlink@hotmail.com Most people might say put a formula at the bottom of the list of numbers. For example, you have numbers in column B and they go from row 2 to row 154, in B155 (or anywhere else, pretty much), you could put this formula: =SUM(B2:B155) The 'problem' with that is that you can't just add to the bottom of the list, you have to keep inserting rows to push that formula on down the sheet. Try putting a SUM formula near the TOP of the column. Let's say you have the title for a column in row 1, then you sta...

Column showes 1 2 3 instead of A B C

Change number of markers in a graph
Is it possible to control how many markers to show on a graph. Fo example in a graph with 500 points, I would like only to have a marke for every 25 points, but I still want the graph to "line thorugh" al points. I know I can delete a marker by selecting it and press delete but with a lot of data point that is a lot of work... -- retawo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- retawol's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2491 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38450 The simple...

Default Printer Changes
I have created several data bases that are used throughout my company. This has caused several issues when the default printer is different than my default printer. Example. I run the report on my desktop and the reports print out on my default printer. My default printer breaks down. I change my default printer and the database crashes. I change my default printer back and the same data base runs just fine, but no print out. Additionally, when I try to open the report in design view while the default printer is not on the original printer the data base crashes. Is there any s...

Datacontext and reject partial changes
Hi, How to do this with a DataContext, I have a form where there is a DataContext, and allowed to make changes, since this form opens another form, and in this second form the user have changes, but on leaving the second form selects the option to cancel. How can I do to delete only the second form changes, and keep track of changes on the first form? Thanks Hallo Paul, What kind of form your second form is a MDI, a Modal Dialog (showdialog) or a form which is showed with show? You better can put the datacontaxt in a seperate class by the way. Cor "Paul" &l...