change value in a cell according to another cells value

Please help me....
Example:
I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
use.

Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
work it out!

Thank you so much whoever can answer this.
0
KylieRose (3)

"Kylie Rose" wrote:
> .. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long

Try in D1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
Copy D1 down as far as required

(I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
--
Max
Singapore

0
demechanik (4694)
1/19/2006 6:40:55 AM
Hi!

> I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

> Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> use.

You can do that using conditional formatting but you'd need to provide more
specific details.

Biff

"Kylie Rose" <KylieRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me....
> Example:
> I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> use.
>
> Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
> work it out!
>
> Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/19/2006 6:47:23 AM
> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})

If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4694)
1/19/2006 7:25:46 AM
Thank you very much!!!!!
You're excellent!
Cheers
Kylie

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})
>
> > Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> > the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> > hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> > use.
>
> You can do that using conditional formatting but you'd need to provide more
> specific details.
>
> Biff
>
> "Kylie Rose" <KylieRose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help me....
> > Example:
> > I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
> >
> > Also I would like to hide a column and only show cells from that column in
> > the row that I apply value to in another cell of the same row. Essentially
> > hiding the whole column and only showing value in a row when the row is in
> > use.
> >
> > Please help me, I want to create something for a job interview and can't
> > work it out!
> >
> > Thank you so much whoever can answer this.

0
KylieRose (3)
1/19/2006 7:38:04 AM
Thank you heaps!!
Help much appreciated!
Cheers
Kylie

"Max" wrote:

> "Kylie Rose" wrote:
> > .. I need to make 1 = $50 and 2 = $100 and 3 = $120 etc
> > I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A and the value
> > automatically appearing in column D, is this possible?
>
> If the lookup list (1 = $50, 2 = $100, etc) isn't too long
>
> Try in D1:
> =IF(A1="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,{1;2;3},0)),"No match",
> VLOOKUP(A1,{1,50;2,100;3,120},2,0)))
> Copy D1 down as far as required
>
> (I don't have a suggestion for your 2nd Q, sorry)
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

0
KylieRose (3)
1/19/2006 7:38:04 AM
>I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A

I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Biff

"Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> =LOOKUP(A1,{0,"";1,50;2,100;3,120})
>
> If col A contains numbers higher than 3, I'm not sure if
> the result returned: 120 would be a mite misleading here ?
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---

0
biffinpitt (3172)
1/19/2006 7:42:02 AM
"Biff" wrote:
> >I need to do this by entering 1, 2 or 3 in column A
>
> I don't see anything that mentions values higher than 3.

Agreed.  But I was hinting at the possibility
of a "wrong" input of a number higher than
what is mentioned in the OP
(the built-in "error trap" part of it)

Anyway, the OP seems happy with both options <g>
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

0
demechanik (4694)
1/19/2006 10:02:57 AM
You're welcome !
Thanks for the feedback ..
--
> Thank you heaps!!
> Help much appreciated!
> Cheers
> Kylie

0
demechanik (4694)

How can i change this VBA project According to Indian Numeric
Sir/Madam I got a VBA project from MCServices, But problem is How i should modify this to display This Numeric Value like - 2551525.35 It should display in text = Twenty Five Lac Fifty One Thousand Five Hundred Twenty Five Rs and Thirty Five Paise. I m sending Herewith my VBA project. Pls change necessary and help me. thanks Rao Ratan Singh Option Explicit 'Main Function Function SpellNumber(ByVal MyNumber) Dim Dollars, Cents, Temp Dim DecimalPlace, Count ReDim Place(9) As String Place(2) = " Thousand " Place(3) = " Million " Place(4) = &...

remember path when linking many GIFs to cells?
When I link a number of GIF images residing in a different directory to Excel 2002 cells, the program does not remember the last directory it looked in when a new link is entered. Is there a way to set up a default path for this boring operation? Thanks, z.entropic ...

How do I change the format of how my active cell in Excel is view.
I sometimes have trouble locating which cell is active in my Excel worksheet. I would like to be able to change it to something other than just a heavy black border. Here is one way that highlights the row and column of the activecell. Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With Target.EntireRow .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:="TRUE" .FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 35 End With With Target.EntireColumn .FormatConditions.Delete .FormatConditions.Add T...

format changes on pivot table although preserve formatting is che.
Post the question the body of the message, subject lines get truncated -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aannd" <Aannd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:282F34F1-42CA-4F0A-8A62-A71C64E30741@microsoft.com... > ...

Determine if another cell is hidden in a Formula
Hi! I would like to display a special message in a cell when another cell is hidden. Is it possible? Something like (in cell A2): =If(IsHidden(A1), A1, "") I guess I could do it with a user function... but if I use that in a lot of cells (hundreds) it might significantly slow down the refresh speed... Any thoughts ? J Whales ...

Display Sheetname in a cell
I'd like to display a worksheet name "with the body" instead of "in the margins" (ie, using Header / Footer definitions). Is there a built-in mechanism for picking up the worksheet name in a formula? I tried putting Function GetSheetName() As String GetSheetName = ActiveSheet.Name End Function in a code module and " = GetSheetName() " in a cell; but quickly discovered that <F9> doesn't cause the user defined function to re-evaluate. Suggestions? -- Clif Try this: =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("fil...

Hyperlink directly to a cell in a worksheet
Hi there, I'd like to hyperlink directly to a cell in a spreadsheet (spreadsheet opens to a specific cell selected). The link I'm using opens the spreadsheet, but it goes to the same cell everytime. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any help. Here's what the link I'm using looks like: www.myserver.com/Payroll_Risks_&_Controls.xls#='Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3'!$A$27 Risk Scores 1, 2, or 3 is the name of the worksheet and A27 is the cell I want to go to. ...

drag and drop problem with cell references
i have a cell with a formula in one worksheet that references another cell. the formula looks like this: =IF((ISBLANK('Draft'!$D25)),"",'Draft'!$D25) where 'draft' is another worksheet in my workbook. the formula works fine, it looks empty if there is nothing in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), otherwise it mirrors the content of that cell. If i type something in the referenced cell('Draft'!$D25), it still works great. But if i drag something to the referenced cell than the formula gets screwed up and replaces the $D25, with #ref. I am gue...

Need help removing characters in multiple cells
I have an excel 2007 sheet that has over 300 cells in a column that have a name of a store plus a number between paranethesis. Is there a one step way I can remove the paranethesis? Here is an example: K-Mart (ABC#73846365) and I want to have just the following K-Mart Each cell has a different store name and set of numbers within the paranethesis. Thanks Select the range to fix. Edit|replace what: _(* (spacebar, open paren, asterisk) with: (leave blank) replace all It looked like you'd want to remove the space character after the t in k-mart. "<----- Mardm...

fonts are changing and text disappears
Hello when i open outlook 2003 all my maps on the left side of the screen are looking well and normal. But after a wile the font changed or a piece of the name/text disappear. Very stange i think. When i close outlook and turn it back on, everyting is back to normal but not for long. ...

Changing Fonts
Using Publisher 2003 with Office SP2. I have installed 3 new fonts (.ttf files) through Control Panel - Fonts - Install New Font and they now appear in the list in Control Panel - Fonts. I want to use these fonts in a publisher document. How do I get the new fonts to appear in my list of fonts in publisher? Publisher has been reopened since installing the new fonts and I have also restarted. Any help would be great! Thank you! REW wrote: > Using Publisher 2003 with Office SP2. > I have installed 3 new fonts (.ttf files) through Control Panel - > Fonts - Install New Font and the...

Changing Free/Busy Publishing Time
I wanted to change our publishing time from two months to 12 months. In order to do this I implimented a group policy that changed this time. The group policy seems to be effective in changing that value, however when it comes to scheduling meetings, only two months are visible. The only way I have found to rectify this is to run Outlook with a /cleanfreebusy switch once. However, it doesn't seem practical to do this across a large number of users. Is there any way I can do this server side to acheive the same effect? Thanks! On 28 Jul 2006 09:40:46 -0700, JamesSKemp@gmail.com wrote: &...

Linked Cell Property In Activex controls
Can someone point me to an example showing how this property can be used, linking, as an example, an option button to a specific cell? Say if I wanted "1" to appear in cell B2 of the worksheet if the option button is clicked KG, The option button puts TRUE or FALSE into its Linked Cell. You can get 1 or 0 out of that by referring to it with double negation operators. = --A1 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924E6B40-6040-4016-B75B...

Signature format changes in replies with Outlook 2007
Hi We are using Outlook 2007 and are finding that our signatures will sometimes change font and spacing in reply messages. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks ...

Changing Information
Using Excel and Access 2003 on an XP SP2 machine. Is there a way to produce a pie chart from an Access query when you will not always have the same fields return results to be plotted? (In case that was as clear as mud to you as it was to me, I'll try to explain.) I know how to return reqults from a query to a spreadsheet and produce a chart from there. What has me stumped is what to do when the fields change. For instance, I'm trying to produce a pie chart that will show how many of several different categories of data occur. However, depending on what transpires during a repor...

extract year from Date Value
Good morning, Could someone help me extract the year portion from a date value such as this 11/20/2009? Thanks in advance, Mike With the Date in A1, place =YEAR(A1) in B1 Takeadoe wrote: > Good morning, > > Could someone help me extract the year portion from a date value such > as this 11/20/2009? > > Thanks in advance, > > Mike ...

Removing Blank Cells #3
I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank columns and rows from a worksheet. There really is no need for this many blank rows in the workpaper I am working on and I assume it contributes to the overall size of the spreadsheet. Thanks in advance. Hi you can't remove them (you can hide them if you like9. Also they do not add up to the size of your worksheet 8at least as long as your used range is correct) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff Mortenson wrote: > I would like to know if there is a way to remove the blank > columns and rows from a works...

how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink?
how do I add a 'web address' to a cell in excel with a hyperlink? I am a new student to computers, and part of a test is to insert a hyperlink to a cell in excel linking to a web address. I have searched computer for any 'Hyperlink' connection words, but I think it not on here, Is that possible, although I have top of range computer. Anyone with a solution? I be ever so greatful. in xl2002 ctrl+k>in the link to select existing web page>either type in (at the bottom) or point to the url on your browser>enter -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austi...

Move Exchange mailboxes from one Domain to another.
Okay, this is the scenario... I got called in to fix a big mess. I am not the one that set this up! (Just wanted to clear that up. ;)) Windows 2003 network.. 2 Domains Domain one: Active Directory DNS DHCP File Server Domain two: Active Directory DNS Exchange Both domains are under separate forests. The person that set this up setup duplicate user accounts under both domains. Why he didn't put the exchange server under the same domain, I have no clue. I just figure he didn't know what he was doing. So what I have is everyone logging in to Domain one to do their everyday work ...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

Change column color in chart when column value is over/under goal
No use of VBA or macros expected. It is believed to be Excel chart feature. Any ideas on how to change column colors (Red/Green) if value exceeds or meets the preset goal. Eg. if goal is 4% - anything at or above 4 should show green and under 4 should be red. Assuming your data is in A2:A20 B2: =IF(A2>=4,A2,NA()) C2: =IF(A2<4,A2,NA()) copy B2:C2 down, add some labels to B1:C1, then chart B1:C20. This will give you two series, one for the aboves, one for the rest. Select each data series, right click, choose format, and set the colour as required. -- --- HTH Bob (there's ...

Creating a table into another Access database
Is there a VBA command or SQL statement for me to run a Make Table Query to create a table in another Access database? I would like to distribute several access databases to different groups with tables populated with data specific to the group. I don't want to create the tables in the main database and transfer the table, because there's many tables and it would probalby exceed the 2gb limit of MS Access. SELECT * FROM INTO [;Database=C:\Folder\File.mdb].Table1 FROM MyTable -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "anon" ...

Should I change this code?

Changing button colours with a macro
Any advice on this one - I am very inexperienced with the writing of macros, but have managed to write a few and attach them to buttons, I would like the buttons to change colour each time they are clicked - any suggestions?? VBA code: Worksheets("Sheet1").Shapes(Button64).Select With Selection.Font .ColorIndex = 3 End With Jim "Rinativers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD5CEBA6-884C-4576-A105-B2F4AF50B5EE@microsoft.com... > Any advice on this one - I am very inexperienced with the writing of macros, but have...

Getting the "name=" (bit, picklist) value that is returned from SOAP
Hi all, I am getting several fields via a Web service request in javascript in an OnChange event to poulate other field on a case. One of those fields is a bit, and one is a picklist. Those nodes in the response come back with <attribute="new_active" name="true">1</attribute> for the bit field and <attribute="status" name="On Hold">3</attribute> How can I read the name value? I've tried selectSingleNode("//status").name with no luck. Thanks! I am doing a similar process, using a SOAP response message. I ge...