Change of text or background color doesn't change on the screen.

In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a
different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen.  Any
ideas?
0
Susan (148)

An idea, yes:
  may be the conditional format.

If for example the cell is supposed to become red when the value is
null, and the value is null, then it will stay while the condition is
true. Even if you change the "regular" color (it will appear only when
the condition is false)
Under Options, View, Colour is Colour set to 'Automatic' ?

Does this happen on any specific sheet or in all sheets, in an
specific workbook or all workbooks

--
Bryan Hesse
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2105

Susan

If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS
high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the
following MSKB article:

OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed

   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:07:02 -0700, "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a
>different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen.  Any
>ideas?

0
Gord
7/28/2005 10:57:33 PM
Thank you.  This solved the problem.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Susan
>
> If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS
> high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the
> following MSKB article:
>
> OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed
>
>    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:07:02 -0700, "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a
> >different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen.  Any
> >ideas?

0
Susan (148)
7/29/2005 2:38:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Gord

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:38:02 -0700, "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thank you.  This solved the problem.
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Susan
>>
>> If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS
>> high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the
>> following MSKB article:
>>
>> OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed
>>
>>    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>

>> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:07:02 -0700, "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In Excel, whenever I change the color of the text or highlight a cell with a
>> >different background color, it's not being reflected on the screen.  Any
>> >ideas?

0
Gord

Change entries in popup list for partially typed email addresses
When I start a new email and type in the first few letters of a recipient name or email address, I am given a helpful list of candidate addresses. However, the email addresses of one acquaintance in this list needs to be corrected. How can I do this? I tried looking in the address book, but none of the lists seem to contain this contact. I am using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. The autocompletion cache has nothing to do with your Contacts. It is simply a cache of your prior recipients. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when pres...

Error setting shape text property
Hi guys and girls(i'm told there are a few of you out there), I have seen posted on MSDN that the Text property can not be set on a shape via VBA using excel 2002. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317293#appliesto The work around sounds hillarious, using Word to create a shape object for us and then doing a copy / paste via automation. I have the same issue with excel 2003 is there any other way to provide a text area on a chart that is movable and can change the text property? For reference the line of code that errors is ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).TextFrame....

changing tcp port used by exchange 5.5?
Hello, We are trying to find out if it is possible to change the tcp port that exchange 5.5 uses to send outgoing (internet bound) emails? specifically, we are trying to have our internal exchange 5.5 server send all outbound emails to our unix based/postfix server using a port other then 25. I have search both technet and google but seem to only find articles relating to inbound or client based issues. can you point me in the right direction/tech article? I have to admit I don't know if this applies to 5.5, but maybe it'll help if it's somewhat similar. This is how it'...

how to change range for dynamic chart in excel 2000 with button?
i need a help please. i have problem in excel chart. i add data to the table. and then if i want to update my chart i need to change the range too, isn't it? is there any solution for that? i've already use dynamic chart. but it always show data from Jan04 till Jan05. If I add Feb05 it will change from Feb04 to Feb05. what about if i want to see Dec03 till Dec04? is there any command or something else like using macro or vb? thank you in advance.. ivan Ivan, You should be able to set the dynamic chart to show just about any range you want. These articles should help: http://pu...

Changing English text to Spanish text
Hello can anyone help me out with this... I'm creating a newsletter, and want to see if there is a way to convert the english text to spanish... Any help would be great.. Thank you Gilbert Saenz sagi300@dshs.wa.gov There are translation services available for a cost. "Gilbert Saenz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:184001c3fbd5$f566d9b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello can anyone help me out with this... I'm creating a > newsletter, and want to see if there is a way to convert > the english text to spanish... Any help would be great.....

Excell
How do I change font colour in a footer?? There are options to change the font, size, underline etc but not colour... Can anyone help? You can't change the font colour in a footer. If you really need coloured text, you could print just the footer using Word, then print the Excel file onto those pages. Or, if you have Excel 2002, you can insert a coloured picture into the footer, so you could create a graphic with the text, and insert that. cinabar wrote: > How do I change font colour in a footer?? > > There are options to change the font, size, underline etc > but not...

how do I link a text box on a chart to a specific data point?
I have a text box in a chart that I want to move with the data, as additional data is added to the chart. For instance, if the datapoint is January 5, 2008, as I add additional days, I want the text box associated with the January 5, 2008 datapoint to move with the graph. Hi, Text boxes don't track with the data. Replace the text box with a Data Label. Select a single point in a series that is near the location of the text box. Choose Format, Selected Data Point, on the Data Labels tab turn on Value. Click OK. Select the data label and type the text that was in the Text box. ...

Converting from Excel to text w/o quotes (" ")
When converting from excel to tab delimited text format, The text file automatically padded with open & end quotes ( " ") if any of the cell has a comma (,). Is there any way to convert to text w/o the quotes i.e. to reflect exactly what it is in excel? Apprecaite your Advice. Thank you The quotes come from having characters in the cells that could be misinterpreted (i.e. commas, slashes, ?'s). There's a "great" knowledge base article on microsoft's website that I've never gotten to work properly. Instead, I used a program called text-write at: ...

How do I compare item text of combobox to one string
Hello all experts I have used combobox I ms Access like that Combobox.rowsource="xxxx" combobox.bound Column=2 Limit to List=yes all above it working but I can not get item text of this combobox,so How can I do can you healp me. Thank combobox.value "cambo" wrote: > Hello all experts > I have used combobox I ms Access like that > Combobox.rowsource="xxxx" > combobox.bound Column=2 > Limit to List=yes > all above it working but > I can not get item text of this combobox,so How can I do > can you healp me. > Thank > > > ...

column/block/rectangular selection of text in Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel What happened to the ability to select a column/block/rectangular selection of text by holding down the alt/option key in Word 2008? How do I make a vertical text selection? <br> Thanks in advance. <br> JBM "Nothing" and "The Same Way" :-) However various things may get in the way: Spaces is one, having the Toolbox open is another. Anything that distracts the focus from the document page can potentially interfere with the operation of this function. As usual, the ...

When message changes from text to HTML format, font is not the default
Hi, Environment: My outlook 2003 default format is HTML. The Default fond for new/reply messages is Arial. The Problem: I get a message in text format. When I manually change the format of this message to HTML, the font of the message is Times Roman. How can I make outlook automatically use the default font (Arial) as the font for messages changed from text to HTML ? Thanks, Ron. -- ronbarak ...

How to not have formula change after inserting column from another sheet
One file - a few sheets. I run a macro weekly to copy column B of my CURRENT PORTFOLIO sheet and insert that data between Col I and J (Moving older data to the right - off the screen.) I then populate col B with this weeks data. That works fine, BUT another sheet of that file ( GRAPH) uses that data to track a few moving averages. To keep the GRAPH sheet accurate, after the macro I then have to modify the contents for the SOURCE field of the graph because NOW $I$1 becomes $J$1 and $I$28 becomes $J$28. I can't use an INDIRECT command - I get an error. Name = Weekly Moving Average, ...

Formatting when combining text & value in a cell
The value of my cell is ="Product Margin is "&Z5 Z5 is 63.6% (in Z5) but 0.63653676693 in my combined cell. How do I format the percent when combining text & value? Thank you for your time. One way: ="Product Margin is " & TEXT(Z5, "0.0%") In article <1157984365.490796.307300@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "John13" <johnasmith13@gmail.com> wrote: > The value of my cell is > > ="Product Margin is "&Z5 > > Z5 is 63.6% (in Z5) but 0.63653676693 in my combined cell. How do I > format the...

Lock text box
How do you lock the position of a text box in Publisher 2002? You don't - but don't take it personally, neither does anyone else :) The closest technique I know of is to create a separate Master (if it's something that isn't to appear on multiple pages), put the element on the Master. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "Angela" <Angela@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10082530-F3FB-44FB-805C-B6B5C5D8F60D@microsoft.com... > How do you lock the position of a text box in Publisher 2002? What do you mean? Is your textbox moving o...

Transparent Text Box
I need to overlay one text box over part of another text box.On the "top" text box I set Fill to "No Fill" which (I thought) would make it transparent and allow the text on the bottom text box to show thru? That doesn't work. How can I accomplish this? Wayne Wengert wrote: > I need to overlay one text box over part of another text box.On the > "top" text box I set Fill to "No Fill" which (I thought) would make > it transparent and allow the text on the bottom text box to show > thru? That doesn't work. How can I accomplish this...

Using Macros in custom touch-screen keyboard
I have a macro saved in the Alt-F1 spot. We use the custom touch screen keyboard. I see that I have all the macros available (it lists Macro 1 - macro 24) but I can not figure out how to get the macro that I have saved to show up on my custom touchscreen keyboard. If I use the regular touch screen keyboard I can see where it has saved my macro, but if I switch to the custom touch screen keyboard I loose it. Is there any way to link the macro that we have to one of the macros (1-24) listed on the custom touch-screen keyboard? Thanks! ...

Changing Quote status from Active to Draft
After we re did our picklists for reps (were originally not working - not done right), it erased that data from all our past quotes. i need to run a work flow rule to chang the Quotes status from Active to Draft, but don't want to do that if it will affect the orders created. Can someone please help me with this. thank you It really didn't "erase" the data. The problem most likely is that you removed the entries for the previously saved values. You could just update the numeric value of the underlying records with SQL (not supported, but in this case safe). Othe...

How do I change chart cell from pixel to inch?
I am trying to modify a chart sent to me. Cell width is in pixels. How can I change it to inches. Brenda, Perhaps this site can help. It gives a pixels to inches conversion. http://209.196.177.41/01/01-09.htm ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Brenda" wrote: > I am trying to modify a chart sent to me. Cell width is in pixels. How can > I change it to inches. Brenda - You mean cell width or chart width is in pixels? Where are you reading this size? It's probably in points, by the way, not pixels. There are 72 points to the inch, and dependin...

Change text to number
Hi In one field, have a mix decimal and hexa numbers (10,12,17,30A, ..) with text format. I need to change the format as a numbers. I used Cint(field A), working for 10,12,17, but errors for 30A, Can someone guide me please, what a the correct function/query to use? Thank you -mohsin -- Cheers Mohsin Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Use IsNumeric([MyField]) to test if the entry can be understood as a number. Some of the entries that Access considers numeric may surprise you, e.g.: -29.4E-2 -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Acce...

Outlook
Does anyone know how to change the default to Yes for Auto Archiving in Outlook 2003. I am wanting to do this globally for my whole organization with SMS. Is there a setting in RegEdit that could be changed? Carmen "Carmen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0eb801c49cff$3deb7090$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to change the default to Yes for > Auto Archiving in Outlook 2003. I am wanting to do this > globally for my whole organization with SMS. Is there a > setting in RegEdit that could be changed? > > Carmen ...

Can get new messages in center of screen?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I'm on new imac 27&quot; <br> Boy, open new mail message and it shoots over to the left side of the monitor. Wasn't so bad with 20 CTR. <br> Anyway to get them to be centered? thanks! > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3343028456_1486606 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit On 12/6/09 9:19 PM, in...

Text alignment using ESC sequence
I am trying to print receipt using OPOS. I want to print Items on the left and the prices on the right. I tried the followings, but they don't work... printNormal "Item 1" + ESC|rA + "123.45" printNormal ESC|N + "Item 1" + ESC|rA + "123.45" printNormal ESC|N + "Item 1" + CR + ESC|rA + "123.45" + ESC|N printNormal ESC|N + "Item 1" ; printNormal ESC|rA + "123.45" + ESC|N The printer always print 'everything' on the right. I tried with bold, and wide characters, and they behave as it suppose to be. T...

Cancel automatic Wrap text
Forgive me if this has been addressed before, but my searches have bee futile. I would like to prevent Excel from automatically invoking Wrap text whenever I edit a cell containing multiple lines. Setting the rowheight to fixed is helpful, but it also inhibits th cell from displaying across empty rows to the right. Is there some way of disabling this for an entire wookbook? Thanks, John McKean Toronto, Canad -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Just been looking for the same answer myself, drives me mad. Found any answer yet? John McKean <<John.McKean.1chaem@excelforu...

Changing Comments Default Position
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew how to change the default position o the comments when the cursor glides over them. I know that it is easy to 'Show Comment' and grab it by the handler and drag it around, but I was wondering if there was any way that i could appear in a different orientation relative to the cell that i commented instead of the usual 'northeast' orientation it appears t have by default. In my version of excel, any changes I make when I show the comment d not hold for when the cursor glides over it later, after I've hidden i again. Thanks, -Pet ...

Inserted images and pasted text is the wrong color in publisher.
When I insert a picture (jpg) from file or scan it in, it places it as a green picture even though I scanned as a full color. Also copied black text, when pasted into publisheris pasted in green? Am I missing a default setting. Everything I try to insert or past is green. Have you looked to see if there is an updated video driver lately? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "CaryK" <CaryK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DB4633E-93FF-44DF-B237-0B2E6DC9D4DD@microsoft.com... >...