change format of existing numbers

I have a worksheet with thousands of phone numbers on it,
but not formatted as phone numbers. If I change the
existing numbers' cell format to a custom ###-###-####
format, it won't format the numbers this way unless I
double click in each cell (cell content edit mode) and
press enter.

Unlike regular number formats, it seems as though excel
won't convert existing data to my custom format unless:
  -Cell is formatted and THEN number is entered
  -If cell has existing number, I must click INTO the cell
   (editing mode)

Please help!

much thanks

mari
0
anonymous (74722)

Let me add to my question:

The custom format DOES work for existing numbers that I
have typed in myself.  Where it goes wrong is when I try
to custom format existing numbers that were PASTED INTO a
column.

mari

0
anonymous (74722)
2/24/2004 5:33:19 AM
Hi
try the following
- enter 1 in an empy cell
- copy this cell (CTRL+C)
- now select your cells which have to be formated
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply' as action

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

mari wrote:
> Let me add to my question:
>
> The custom format DOES work for existing numbers that I
> have typed in myself.  Where it goes wrong is when I try
> to custom format existing numbers that were PASTED INTO a
> column.
>
> mari

0
frank.kabel (11126)