Change Dots into Commas as Decimal Divider

Hello

I wonder if anybody can help?

I create a lot of automated reports. These reports include costing and
percentages, with several decimal places. In the English format the "1000
Seperator" is a comma, and the decimal places are seperated with a dot.

Now the problem:
I have to send the reports to clients in mainland Europe, where the  "1000
Seperator" is a dot, and the decimal places are seperated with a comma.
So far I could only remove the "1000 Seperator" entirely (in Format cells),
send it to the Europeans, and they had to change the Comma on the decimal
palces manually. Sometimes this is very difficult, since Excel in Europe
treats that dot like a "1000 Seperator", and removes the 0 in front of the
dot.

I cannot ask them to change their country setting, since they need to use
their country specific settings for everything they are doing. ALso I cannot
change my settings, since I work with English/America clients also.

Is there any way to automatically transfer the commas into dots, and vise
versa?

Thanx
0
xenia (1)

You said: “I cannot ask them to change their country setting..."  I'm not
sure this is what you're talking about or not so I apologize in advance if
you are.   When I went in to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options >
Customize I changed the “.” to a "," for decimal numbers. Then I changed ","
for a "." for 1000 separator.  Then I opened Excel, typed in a number and the
number looked like this: 120.000.000,00; just what I expected.  I saved the
WS; changed the settings back to the way the were; then I reopened the WS and
 the number appeared like this: 120,000,000.00.  It would seem to me that if
everyone had their Regional Settings in Control Panel set to their specific
country's format nobody would have to change anything.  Have you explored
this option?

Marty

"xenia" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder if anybody can help?
>
> I create a lot of automated reports. These reports include costing and
> percentages, with several decimal places. In the English format the "1000
> Seperator" is a comma, and the decimal places are seperated with a dot.
>
> Now the problem:
> I have to send the reports to clients in mainland Europe, where the  "1000
> Seperator" is a dot, and the decimal places are seperated with a comma.
> So far I could only remove the "1000 Seperator" entirely (in Format cells),
> send it to the Europeans, and they had to change the Comma on the decimal
> palces manually. Sometimes this is very difficult, since Excel in Europe
> treats that dot like a "1000 Seperator", and removes the 0 in front of the
> dot.
>
> I cannot ask them to change their country setting, since they need to use
> their country specific settings for everything they are doing. ALso I cannot
> change my settings, since I work with English/America clients also.
>
> Is there any way to automatically transfer the commas into dots, and vise
> versa?
>
> Thanx
0
Marty (99)
4/29/2005 1:18:02 PM
hi,
you may try changing the setting for decimal places in
tools/options/international from commas to dots and save the document
in this setting.
hope this's helped......

--
szymon
szymon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26030

changed fonts are not displayed
When I change the colour of text etc. it apears in the colour selected but changes to back on the screen when I press return? Back ground colours are not displayed? Could this be of any help? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Regards, Peo Sjoblom "tim" wrote: > When I change the colour of text etc. it apears in the colour selected but > changes to back on the screen when I press return? > Back ground colours are not displayed? ...

Dynamically changing Info from one sheet to another
Hi all, Im not sure if this can be done (pretty new to all this) but what i would like to do is: have one excel document with 26 sheets, each of the 26 sheets will contain a list of approx 1000 names. When a sheet gets updated (a name is deleted or added) i would like it to dynamically change all sheets larger than it. For example if i delete a name of sheet # 9, i would like sheets 10 onwards to to contain that name either but sheets 8 and below must remain unchanged. anyone have an idea how i could tacke this problem? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message...

What makes the background color of a calendar change?
I've created a calendar in a public folder for my partners and staff to use to review their schedules, request time off, etc. After populating the calendar with events and appointments, some days containing events and appointments take on a color attribute that reflects on or another of the color category/categories of things happening that day. This seems to happen capriciously. I'll have days with events/appointments from multiple categories where the background remains white, others where the background becomes colored. Is this a bug or a feature whose purpose I've y...

Locked out of Change Animation
I was working on a PPT presentation. In another window, a browser, I was looking up some information. Something happened causing all of my windows to close and the computer to shut down. This is a first for me on this computer. When I booted back up and reopened the PPT presentation everything seemed normal until I tried to edit animations. The change animation commands are inactive. I can add a new animation and change its timing and properties, but I can't change anything or even remove an existing animation. Opening other PPT, I can edit those, just not the one that...

Primary key changed to Zero in table
I have a weird problem. I have a couple of tables - have the same primary key. I run a query to select the fields from both the tables. I try to update one of the fields with some data and when I save it, the primary key of the corresponding record is changed to zero. The primary key is also changed in the other table. I only want the changes to be saved - the primary key should not be altered in both tables. How do I solve this? Any thoughts? Thanks On 24 Apr 2007 12:15:49 -0700, mthiruma <mthiruma@gmail.com> wrote: >I have a weird problem. I have a couple of tables - have the...

Option Button
I have an option group with two option buttons - when I click one it doesn't change color so the user knows it has been selected. I don't have any different formating or colors and all the other buttons work correctly. I even tried deleting it an redoing? Any body know what's going on? Have I exceeded some kind of limit? Thanks guys in advance. Bonnie The limit of controls on a form is 755 in it's lifetime. That is rarely exceeded, but you can copy all the controls on a form and paste them to a new form, then copy and paste all the code and connect it up. Now delete...

Can field names be changed with a query?
I've got a sequence of queries that culminates in a final make-table query. I would like to change the fieldnames with the final query, producing the table with new fieldnames. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Patrick Sure. In the field name put what you want to see in the new table like so: NewName: OldFieldName What is before the colon ( : ) should be the new field name. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "Pat" wrote: > I've got a sequence of queries that culminates in a final make-tab...

How do I change the color scheme on a download Publisher template
I recently downloaded a newsletter template and now I would like to change the color scheme for the background shapes. I have tried to do this, but only some texts would change colors, but not the shapes. Please help! Thanks. I suspect you will have to change the colors manually if the colors won't change when you choose a different color scheme. Select one of the shapes, Fill, the colors along the top of the fill menu are the colors of the present color scheme. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "T.J." <T.J.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

Numerals changing
When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold font, the numbers change to 3 number signs ###. If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but with slightly larger numerals Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only recently begun to happen. Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice. Bye from Crocketty When you make a font Bold it slightly increases its size, this quite often makes it too big to fit in the cell, so the ### is displayed. To fix this, re-size the row height / column width after '...

Money 2005
Money likes creating new accounts... its appears "By Design". That being said, Money 2005 has created a new "Credit Card" account (for my Auto Loan) and a new "Bank Account" for my IRA Account (From a Credit Union). I of course, already have a real "Loan Account" setup and a real "Investment Account" setup for these accounts. Money won't let you merge accounts of diffenent types, and it won't let you change the type of a downloaded account. Is there any hope? || Aaron ...

How to change the Subtotal of my Pivot table to use subtraction instead of Summing
I have the following Pivot table created: --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sum of HEAD_COUNT DEPT PER_GROUP TYPE HQ HRD ED PD CFD --------- ---- -- --- -- -- --- ACCOUNTING 1APPROVED 0 0 0 0 0 0 2ACTUAL 0 0 0 0 0 0 ACCOUNTING Total 0 0 0 0 0 0 ADMINISTRATIVE 1APPROVED 0 1 0 0 0 0 2ACTUAL 0 0 0 0 0 0 ADMINISTRATIVE Total 0 1 0 0 0 0 CORPORATE SUP 1APPROVED 1 0 37 1 8 7 2ACTUAL 1 0 35 1 8 7 CORPORATE SUP Total 2 0 72 2 16 14 ----------------------...

Concatenating with and/or without a comma
My parameter in Criteria in a query is the following: Contact: IIf(Trim([Surname])="",(Trim([FirstName]),(Trim([Surname]) & ", " & Trim([FirstName])))) I am intending it to give me: Surname, FirstName but if there is no Surname, then: FirstName (without the space and the comma) Can somebody please correct the above parameter so that it will give me what I am wanting? Thank you for any help. Owl - The difference is in the parentheses: Contact: IIf(Trim([Surname])="",Trim([FirstName]),(Trim([Surname]) & ", " &...

how to change the color of the title bar?
Hi, I just upgrade to MS office 2007. The whole theme is blue base in Outlook, Words, etc. Is there a way to customize the colors? Their colors don't follow what I set up (in "Display properties" -> "Appearance") normally for windows, e.g. the color for active window's title bar. My setup is overwritten in Office. Any help is much appreciated. JD The only color choices are in the Office orb, options dialog from any office app. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: ht...

permission needed to change storage limits?
What level of permission is needed to be able to change the mailbox size limits for users accounts? We currently have top level admins that have full control and regular admins that can just create mailboxes with new accounts. We want the regular admins to be able to modify certain user's to be at settings other than the information store defaults when needed. Thank You. Wendy- Delegate the admins access to read/write these attributes on the user object: mDBOverHardQuotaLimit - prhibit send/receive mDBOverQuotaLimit - prohibit send mDBStorageQuota - warning mDBUseDefaults - whethe...

Currency Code changes?
Have you ever seen it where the currency code changes on its own? Its not a big deal I just changed it back to show a minus sign on credits. But I wonder why it changed to brackets ( ) for a credit currency amount? I went to tools->setup->system -> currency.. Did you change or review your Windows Regional Settings lately. GP takes settings from there for things like date format, etc... -- Lyle U KC wrote: > Have you ever seen it where the currency code changes on its own? > Its not a big deal I just changed it back to show a minus sign on > credits. But I wonder wh...

Modifying cell entries when changing format
I'm trying to alter a column of the format "1/12/2007 9:07:00 AM" to format "1/12/2007" - that is, so that only the date shows up. When I do this, I also would like to get the data to take on this actual form (rather than just showing up this way in the cell, but remaining in the old format ("1/12/2007 9:07:00 AM"). I tried certain wildcards in Find/Replace, but have been unsuccessful. Thus far, all I've been able to do is Find "1/12/2007*" and Replace with "1/12/2007." However, that requires me to go date by date, and I have ...

Changing default for history views
Is there any way to change the default view that appears in the associated activities history view? For example, if I wanted the view to default to the "Last 6 months" instead of the "Last 30 days" - is there a way to do this? I'm afraid there is no supported way to do this. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Nahi" <nvsimon@msn.com> wrote in message news:1142873394.817429.303290@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... Is there any way to change the default view that appears in the associated activities history view? For example, if I wanted the view to d...

CRM 3.0 License Manager
For anyone having problems deleting or upgrading a license key in CRM 3.0. You may find this helpful: Here's the situation, for one reason or another you have received a new license key from Microsoft. You open Deployment manager and attempted to upgrade the license or delete the existing one however the options are unavailable. Here's a work around: To change a license Key in CRM 3.0 do the following: 1. Open Deployment manager. 2. Select "Server Manager" from the list on the left, right click on your server name on the right and choose "disable". 3. Close ...

Windows Update for HP Photosmart 475 DOT 4
I keep getting an Error Code: 0x80070005 everytime Windows Update asks me to install Windows Update for HP Photosmart 475 DOT 4. How do I get around the problem? You may receive an "0x80070005: Access is denied" error message when you create a scheduled task on a Windows XP-based computer after you install security update 841873 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904423/en-us Can you install the printer update from the HP web site? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Roger" <Roger@discussions.mic...

Create distinct list and separate commas
Hi Many thanks to anyone who can help. I have a very long list in excel which has a number of values in each cell all separated by a comma. I really would like a way of creating a new column with a list of distinct values remembering that there are many values in the field. eg. original column a,b 1 b b,1 a,2 a,d a,2,c new column a b c d 1 2 Many many thanks Excel 2007 PivotTable With Text to Columns, Remove Duplicates, Macro http://www.mediafire.com/file/urnzmzi1mjm/06_24_09.xlsm ...

Excel adds phantom decimal places: why?
By coincidence, two posts today have asked about Excel adding phantom decimal places to entries: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/8c23b9b8fa1aba62/6136d0799e3421d4#6136d0799e3421d4 http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/05040666beaa4d05/5c2abd3771aaa94f#5c2abd3771aaa94f I have experienced this as well: when I enter a dollar amount with just 2 decimal places and convert those values to variables in VBA code, Excel adds trailing decimal places. These do not affect the dollar value, but they do create prob...

Changed Name doesn't reflect in From field
Hi Recenly a user got divorced and wanted her email name and address to reflect her maiden name. So I changed her Display Name, created a new SMTP address and made it the Primary one; however when she sends mail the From: field still shows her married name with her new address. eg From: "Lisa Oldname" <LisaNewaddress@blah.invalid> This is under Exchange 2003 SP2 Standard Edition. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. You might try "Renaming" the user account (right-click on user, choose Rename). I believe that changes a few other fields aside from just Display Name...

Sorting without changing row height
Greetings! This is my first post -- and I'm hopeful that one or more o you know a quick fix for this problem. I maintain a list of projects in Excel. Two of the columns ar "Requesting Manager" and "Project". Dozens of managers access thi spreadsheet on the network, and to make it easier for them to fin their projects I sort the worksheet first by manager, then by project. The problem is that row height varies across the spreadsheet dependin on how much in the way of notes are included in a "Notes" field. Whe I do the sorting I have to scroll down and m...

Changing order of series appearing in the legend on xy scatter plo
Is there any easy way to change the order of the series titles appearing in the legend for an xy scatter plot? Thanks. Hi, Yes you need to change the series order. Double click one of the series and change the order on the Series Order tab. Cheers Andy JacksonRJones wrote: > Is there any easy way to change the order of the series titles appearing in > the legend for an xy scatter plot? Thanks. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Changing Server on a Microsoft Query
I have a query in a spreadsheet. It is pointing at a server and SQL database. How do I change the location of the server? The query is not saved anywhere, it is only embedded in the sheet. Changing the ODBC I originally selected in Control Panel makes no difference. Where is it storing the connection information??? Thanks. G ...