Change dates to non-numeric text

Is there an effective way to convert dates to non-
numeric 'general text', so that a date formated as 'MMM'
will appear in text as Feb (for example), while a date
formatted as 'YYYY' will appear as 2004 (another example).
I am working with a pivot table - but am getting multiple
same year entries in a layout pull-down menu? Ecen though
I have formatted the dates as MMM and YYYY respectively I
note that if I click on the cell the dates still appear in
the conventional DD/MMM/YYYY format? I think this is
causing my problem ...

Don-
0
donniall (31)

Hi Don
try
=TEXT(A1,"MMMM")
or
=TEXT(A1,"YYYY")

to convert the date in A1 to a specific text
Frank

Don Niall wrote:
> Is there an effective way to convert dates to non-
> numeric 'general text', so that a date formated as 'MMM'
> will appear in text as Feb (for example), while a date
> formatted as 'YYYY' will appear as 2004 (another example).
> I am working with a pivot table - but am getting multiple
> same year entries in a layout pull-down menu? Ecen though
> I have formatted the dates as MMM and YYYY respectively I
> note that if I click on the cell the dates still appear in
> the conventional DD/MMM/YYYY format? I think this is
> causing my problem ...
>
> Don-

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/3/2004 11:02:45 AM
An alternative approach is to generate the pivot table directly from the
dates and then group by month and/or year within the pivot table. This has
three advantages:
Firstly, it does not require a separate column for the conversion to text.
Secondly, it maintains the chronological ordering of months.
Thirdly, it enables months in different years to be handled sensibly.

> Hi Don
> try
> =TEXT(A1,"MMMM")
> or
> =TEXT(A1,"YYYY")
>
> to convert the date in A1 to a specific text
> Frank
>
> Don Niall wrote:
> > Is there an effective way to convert dates to non-
> > numeric 'general text', so that a date formated as 'MMM'
> > will appear in text as Feb (for example), while a date
> > formatted as 'YYYY' will appear as 2004 (another example).
> > I am working with a pivot table - but am getting multiple
> > same year entries in a layout pull-down menu? Ecen though
> > I have formatted the dates as MMM and YYYY respectively I
> > note that if I click on the cell the dates still appear in
> > the conventional DD/MMM/YYYY format? I think this is
> > causing my problem ...
> >
> > Don-

0
Paul