change column name from letters to numbers?

I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of
the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec
corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column
headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible?
0
jerry8796 (4)

Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of
> the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec
> corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column
> headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible?

0
ng1 (1444)
6/28/2005 3:47:26 PM
Thanks Anne.

--
Jerry

Anne Troy wrote:
> Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style.
> *******************
> ~Anne Troy
>
> www.OfficeArticles.com
> www.MyExpertsOnline.com
>

> "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of
>>the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec
>>corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column
>>headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible?
0
jerry8796 (4)

can i delete the last 3 characters in each cell in a column in 1 .
I have a column of names followed by a number. Obviously the names are of different lengths but the numbers are consistent, so i need to remove say 8 chars from the right of each filed in the column. I'm sure I have done this before but can't remember how! D'oh! In an empty column, enter this formula (assuming your names are in column A and all the numbers are 8 characters long) =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1) - 8) - works if there are no spaces between the name & numbers =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1) - 9) - works if there is one space between the name & numbers "homer" wrote:...

#NAME? error in nested if & VB
I have many cellse (5 x 10) usine up to 6 nested ifs in each cell. a cell looks similar to: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(Summary_GOOD),AB40),CompDM($D40,"GOOD",Summary_GOOD)-IF(AB39,CompDM($D39,"GOOD",Summary_GOOD),IF(AB38,CompDM($D38,"GOOD",Summary_GOOD),IF(AB37,CompDM($D37,"GOOD",Summary_GOOD),IF(AB36,CompDM($D36,"GOOD",Summary_GOOD),IF(Summary_GOOD_Writer="REP",CompDM("REP","GOOD",Summary_GOOD),0)))))) In an attempt to reduce the size of the formula I created in VB (1st attempt at VB: Function CompDM(Contract_...

Ato generated control number
Hi , Thank you for any and all assistance. I have a customer entry form(CustEntryForm) the fields that I want to auto populate are CreationDate, ControlNumber. The CreationDate date/time stamps when the customer request is created. The ControlNumber is my request tracking field. The CreationDate field works. What I am having a problem with is getting the ControlNumber field to auto generate. The ControlNumber is being created based on the CreationDate field by grabbing the year portion of the date. The date is structured like yy-001(10-001) I have the following SQL state...

Returning text value instead of number
The following query IIf([Subject]="holidays",[SumOfNon Chargeable],"0") provides the value of the non chargeable field which originates as a number. The query returns the correct value but returns it as text and not a number, how can I rectify this? Help please... Omit the quotes around the zero: IIf([Subject]="holidays", [SumOfNon Chargeable], 0) Access sees the quotes, and assumes that it is Text. If that doesn't fix it, you need to dig deeper into how [SumOfNon Chargeable] is generated. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Austra...

Something keeps changing mail settings
In accounts, properties, servers My incoming POP3 mail server setting and account name setting are unstable. Soemthing keeps changing them. The incoming mail server is being changed to "localhost" and the account name keeps being changed to have my e-mail address appended onto the end of it. Very vexing and frustrating matter. Running Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711) and Outlook Express 5 (5.00.2615.200) Running five machines in peer to peer home network. This is happ[enbijg to th4e two machiunes that use OPutlook and Outlook Express as mail, managers. Anybody seen or heard...

sequence numbers #2
how i can put sequence number after applying filter. if anyone can help me on this matter, i'll be very thankful. If your list begins in cell A1.... Insert a column and put SEQ in the "new" cell A1. Then put this formula in Cell A2 and copy down: =SUBTOTAL(3,B$2:B2) Now filter your list. That formula will count the number of non-blank, visible cells. Note the dollar sign in the formula. Cell A3 will count the non-blank, visible cells from A2:A3. Cell A5 will count them from A2:A5, etc. Does that help? -- Regards, Ron "Ashley" wrote: > how i can put se...

Auto change in Encoding
This is part of the application that reads XML from file (that has UTF-8) into an XmlTextReader XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); It then instantiates an object/class instance Render where this constructor gets called with "that" XmlReader. public Render(XmlReader cleanxmldoc) { XmlDocument XmlDoc = new XmlDocument(); System.IO.StringWriter sw = new System.IO.StringWriter(); /* sw.Encoding.Equals(System.Text.Encoding.UTF8); string dd = sw.Encoding.GetEncoder().ToString(); Console.WriteLine(dd); sw.Encoding.EncodingName.Equals("UTF8"); sw.Encodi...

Trying to change floor plan units to millimeters but does not work
Hi, I want to create a floor plan with millimeters as base unit. I created a new page with the floor plan shape and changed the unit to millimeters in the page properties. However, when I drag a wall to the page, it shows it's length in feet and inches. I can specify the length of the wall in millmeters but it still displays the result in feet and inches. Does anyone have a clue how I can change that? Thanks and regards, Robert Well, I have both Metric and US Unit stencils. I created a Metric Floor Plan, which defaults to millimeters. I changed the Measurement Units to...

track changes window is too big...can't select "okay" or "apply"
I can't scroll down and window is already moved to the top of the screen? Does anyone know what I can do? I can't think what you mean by "track changes window"? Do you maybe have your changes in a panel instead of underlines & strikeouts within the text? Version of Word? On Jan 20, 12:07=A0pm, gg <g...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I can't scroll down and window is already moved to the top of the screen?= =A0 > Does anyone know what I can do? ...

Display name that Email recipients see: No longer works
I use Outlook 2003 in XP Home SP2 to read my email Some strange things have been happening recently The latest is my display name that email recipients see Recently, my name no longer displays. Yet it had been able to display in the past 3 years I have also read and implemented http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HA011507601033.aspx Assistance appreciated Explain what you did and what didn't work. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Crocodile Hardy" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%230LQWhJHFHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... >I use Outlook 2003 in...

Role Name: CSR
What permissions need to be given to reactivate a case or incident? ...

Outlook crashes when changing folder to view
Background: Ex2000 server being replaced with Ex2003. Users moved to new server (in the same site) while the old one still exists. .. After that serveral clients - both Outlook 2002 and 2003 - crash when changing focus from one folder to another. /ResetFolders seemed to help on some cases, in most cases not. And an other problem: on several clients Deleted Items folder has lost its Empty Deleted Items menu item. Any idea how to fix these? Recreating Outlook profile seems to be the best medicine, but causes lot of work; signatures, .PST files, additional mailboxes etc. Thanks for your he...

Font Size Changes when Hitting <Enter> Key
I have been scratching my head about this one for some time. I've looked all over the place and cannot find a solution. I have my default font as Calibri 11. I type, copy/paste from web pages, etc. Nothing special. When I hit <Enter>, the font size stays the same, Calibri 11. Then, and I'm not sure how it starts, but then I hit <Enter> and the font size changes to Calibri 9. When it starts, it keeps happening for all editing in that section of text. If there are two paragraphs of text in a bulleted list, one can have the issue and the other can be fine. It...

Record auto numbering
I suppose I shouldn't be concerned, but my record autonumbering jumped from 135 to 432,233 when I was trying to copy and paste common info. Any way to reset? Access Rookie If the numbers don't have "meaning" nor need to be sequential, no problem. Actually if they needed to be sequential or have meaing, there would be a problem as autonumbers often aren't as you just found out. Still that is quite a jump. Copying and pasting can be a problem. It's better to import instead. You could empty the table, like exporting to Excel, then do a compact and ...

How to get to last column in a worksheet in XP
I just want to jump to the last occupied column in a row in a worksheet. It used to be that you hit "end-enter" to go to the last column, but that doesn't seem to work anymore. You can hit "home" and go to the FIRST column in the row, but how the heck do you get to the LAST column in a row? I tried to set up a "Go To" kind of bookmark but that didn't work well. Is the only way to get to the last column to tab-tab-tab-tab-tab over? It didn't used to be that way! You must remember incorrectly, ctrl + end and ctrl + home, if that doesn't ...

Can we change cell color programatically?
Hi all I'm using Excel 2003. Does Excel allow me to change the fill-color of a cell based upon the contents of that cell? For example: If the formula of a cell calculates its value to be less then, say, 100, I'd like to fill-color that cell to Green. Otherwise I'd like to color that cell with no color. Is this possible? Thanks -Mike Take a look at Format|Conditional formatting. You can specify up to 3 rules (and formats) as well as the "normal" format. Mike wrote: > > Hi all > > I'm using Excel 2003. > Does Excel allow me to change the fill...

Weekday Name
Hi, I have a numbers Query which when run returns the date & game the number was picked. What I would like is add a column to my Query results that will show the Week Day Name. My SQL view of the Query is enter at the end. Can someone show me what I need to make that happen? SELECT DlyNumbers.gmDate, DlyNumbers.gmGame, DlyNumbers.gmFirstNumber, DlyNumbers.gmSecondNumber, DlyNumbers.gmThirdNumber FROM DlyNumbers WHERE (((DlyNumbers.gmFirstNumber)=[1st Number]) AND ((DlyNumbers.gmSecondNumber)=[2nd Number]) AND ((DlyNumbers.gmThirdNumber)=[3rd Number])) ORDER BY DlyNumbe...

Problem changing chartype using Chartwizard in VB Express
Hi, I am trying to create a line graph using a Microsoft VB Express module. I can get the grpah to appear with labels etc however I cannot change the chart type to line(or any other type). Below is the segment of code I have to display the graph: With oBook.ActiveSheet.ChartObjects.Add _ (Left:=100, Width:=375, Top:=75, Height:=225) .Chart.ChartWizard(Source:=oBook.ActiveSheet.Range("C4:C10"), Gallery:=xlLine, Title:="TEST", _ ValueTitle:="# of trans", CategoryTitle:="tps") End With The error...

Outline Numbering Format
In Power Point, can we do numbering format other than what is shown as available under Fomat option? Current Numbering Format option is limited to 1 digit numbering, i.e. 1, 2, 3... But can we do numbering format such as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.... or 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3 etc like numbering format in Microsoft word? Thanks. Michaela, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. No such possibility in PPT 2003, 2007 and I guess not in 2010 either. -- Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "Michaela Won" <michaelawon@gmail.com> schreef in bericht news:%230zq0em1KHA.4724@TK2MS...

changing minumumScale and maximumScale of an axis
hi everyone, i have a problem about setting the minumumScale of an axis when axis' source data has a date format . When source data is number formatted , there is no problem , but with date format there is a big problem . Any idea ? the row beginning with eksen.MinumumScale gives an error here is my javascript code : eksen = chart.Axes.Item(1) eksen.HasTitle = 1 eksen.AxisTitle.Text = axis1; eksen.TickLabels.Orientation = 90; eksen.MinumumScale = xmlDoc.selectSingleNode("//EXCEL_START_VALUE").text //xmlDoc.selectSingleNode("//EXCEL_START_VALUE").text : (st...

Excel Comments boxes change size
In a data sheet I have used comments boxes to illustrate my subjects, with a photo as the 'fill colour'. The trouble is although I have set the 'Size', 'scale' to 'Lock Aspect Ratio' and Properties to 'move but don't size with cells' - The comments boxes keep changing not only size but aspect ratio as well - this negates the whole point of putting in the photos. How can I overcome this? thanks Mick ...

error on excel 2000 when inserting new column
This message occur-" To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below your data. Then select cell A1,and save yur workbook to reset the last cell used or, yo can move the data to a new location and try again." please help me about this. thanks! Jaypee Unless you specifically reset excels usedrange occassionally, you can find that lots of inserting can mean that excel thinks it has data far more to the right or below of where you think. If you then try to insert say a colum...

Cannot restart numbered list in Word2007
Why do numbered list automatically revert to 'continue from the previous list' after I have saved the document and then re-opened it. I have 6 Word2007 subdocuments files, that I have inserted into a Master Document. If I open a file outside the Master Document and change the numbered lists to start at 1 using 'Restart at 1' or 'Restart at i' (for a second level list) command, then save and open it again outside the Master Document all the numbered lists are correct. But if I open this file in the Master Document all the numbered lists run continuou...

SBS 2008 change company name on internal web sites
When setting up SBS I spelled my company name wrong. So now when I log in to remote.mycompany.com the name next to the little computer icon and the name in the browser header are wrong. I understand that this is trivial. I want to fix it anyway. I can't find where to do this. Can anyone help? Check to see if this registry location reflects the misspelling. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\RegisteredOrganization If it does, correct it there. "Dave the Clueless" <dave@atrbiotech.com> wrote in message news:6eae0898-e7fc-474...

Changing default paths to templates, toolbars, etc., in O2K? #2
I'm in a bind at the office. I'm constantly replacing a colleague now and I have to be at her desk. It's been a pain not to have access to my system so yesterday re-routed files so that my general and default templates and toolbar files for, say, Word and Excel are on the network. Now when I log on even at her station, I have mostly everything working exactly as if I were at my own computer. However, haven't figured out how to deal with Outlook defaults and template files (along with rwz files and all those other files we back up). Is there a way to have O2K look to a netw...