Change cell background color based on content that results from li

This could be very simple, but I will lay the groundwork first.  I have a
schedule spreadsheet that I import data to from a web based program.  There
are existing filters to remove all formatting of the data and remove that
which we do not use.  What remains is a non formatted sheet that other
workbooks link to so we can produce daily sheets.  Now the data that is
linked on the other sheets may be for example the number 150.  It appears
throughout the sheet and I would like to color any cell that contains the
number 150.  The problem is I can't search for 150 because it really doesn't
exist.  All that exists is the linked cell refernece to where this page gets
the data from.

The action I want to learn to produce is that, based on the resulting data,
color the cell(s) the chosen color.  Something to the effect of if any cell
in workbook1 contains number 150, resulting from a link to a cell in
workbooka1, to be colored blue.  This makes every occurance of 150 in a cell
change the cell background blue.  I would like to have this formulated for
about 25 conditions.

I am willing to do all the work, all the training, all the coding, whatever
I need to so that I can make this work as we use this weekly and have to
manually alter background colors.  I don't want to buy something to do it
since once I establish this formatting code it will not change very often if
at all.

Thank you in advance for any guidance and help you might provide!

For that many conditions, you'll want to use a macro most likely. Since this
will be imported data, I'll assume you'll run this macro after the import.
First, here's the macro you can use:

'================
Sub FormatColors()
For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange

xCheck = c.Value
With c.Interior
Select Case xCheck

'Each case represents the value to look for
'and the ColorIndex corresponds to the color
'you want the background to be
Case 100
..ColorIndex = 6
Case 150
..ColorIndex = 9
'Repeat as necessary....

Case Else
'If not a previous condition, no fill
..ColorIndex = 0
End Select
End With
Next
End Sub
'================

'To create a key showing which number corresponds to which color
'you can run this quick macro, which uses row number to represent color
'Run this macro on a blank sheet

Sub CreateKey()
For i = 1 to 56
Cells(i,1).Interior.ColorIndex = i
Next
End Sub

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"joemc911" <joemc911@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This could be very simple, but I will lay the groundwork first.  I have a
> schedule spreadsheet that I import data to from a web based program.
> There
> are existing filters to remove all formatting of the data and remove that
> which we do not use.  What remains is a non formatted sheet that other
> workbooks link to so we can produce daily sheets.  Now the data that is
> linked on the other sheets may be for example the number 150.  It appears
> throughout the sheet and I would like to color any cell that contains the
> number 150.  The problem is I can't search for 150 because it really
> doesn't
> exist.  All that exists is the linked cell refernece to where this page
> gets
> the data from.
>
> The action I want to learn to produce is that, based on the resulting
> data,
> color the cell(s) the chosen color.  Something to the effect of if any
> cell
> in workbook1 contains number 150, resulting from a link to a cell in
> workbooka1, to be colored blue.  This makes every occurance of 150 in a
> cell
> change the cell background blue.  I would like to have this formulated for
> about 25 conditions.
>
> I am willing to do all the work, all the training, all the coding,
> whatever
> I need to so that I can make this work as we use this weekly and have to
> manually alter background colors.  I don't want to buy something to do it
> since once I establish this formatting code it will not change very often
> if
> at all.
>
> Thank you in advance for any guidance and help you might provide!

0
Luke
3/23/2010 6:49:08 PM
Luke,
Would you be so kind to send me your E-Mail address to:
micky-a <at> tapuz.co.il
Thanks, Micky

"Luke M" wrote:

> [...]
> > color the cell(s) the chosen color.  Something to the effect of if any
> > cell
> > in workbook1 contains number 150, resulting from a link to a cell in
> > workbooka1, to be colored blue.  This makes every occurance of 150 in a
> > cell
> > change the cell background blue.  I would like to have this formulated for
> > about 25 conditions.
> >
> > I am willing to do all the work, all the training, all the coding,
> > whatever
> > I need to so that I can make this work as we use this weekly and have to
> > manually alter background colors.  I don't want to buy something to do it
> > since once I establish this formatting code it will not change very often
> > if
> > at all.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any guidance and help you might provide!

Thank you so much for the answer Luke!  It appears right in line with what I
thought.  May I make one more request, though.  While I understand what you
are saying to do I don't know exactly how to do it.  I don't know how to
create and run the macro nor how to use the macro to give me a color key
page.  I am imagining I have to paste the code you provided into VB somehow.
I just don't have any real training or idea how to do this.  I could use
pointers on the color key page as well, but am guessing this might just be
transparent once I learn the other part.

In any case, thanks again for such quick help!  I'm lloking forward to being
able to put it in to practice!

Joe M

"Luke M" wrote:

> [...]
> > color the cell(s) the chosen color.  Something to the effect of if any
> > cell
> > in workbook1 contains number 150, resulting from a link to a cell in
> > workbooka1, to be colored blue.  This makes every occurance of 150 in a
> > cell
> > change the cell background blue.  I would like to have this formulated for
> > about 25 conditions.
> >
> > I am willing to do all the work, all the training, all the coding,
> > whatever
> > I need to so that I can make this work as we use this weekly and have to
> > manually alter background colors.  I don't want to buy something to do it
> > since once I establish this formatting code it will not change very often
> > if
> > at all.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any guidance and help you might provide!

Hi Joemc911
The link below is a sample worksheet with Luke M's macro. Slightly modified so
you can play with it.
http://cjoint.com/?dyplLsnupa
Let us know if that is really what you want.
HTH
John
P.S. I may not be able to help you with macros, I'm just starting to learn, but
someone else will, if your questions are clear with examples.

> [...]
>> > color the cell(s) the chosen color.  Something to the effect of if any
>> > cell
>> > in workbook1 contains number 150, resulting from a link to a cell in
>> > workbooka1, to be colored blue.  This makes every occurance of 150 in a
>> > cell
>> > change the cell background blue.  I would like to have this formulated for
>> > about 25 conditions.
>> >
>> > I am willing to do all the work, all the training, all the coding,
>> > whatever
>> > I need to so that I can make this work as we use this weekly and have to
>> > manually alter background colors.  I don't want to buy something to do it
>> > since once I establish this formatting code it will not change very often
>> > if
>> > at all.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for any guidance and help you might provide!

0
John

Using data from cells in a Query to a MS Access Database
I need to use a MS Excel 2003 spreadsheet to perform a simple set of calcs. One piece of information I need is stored in an Access Database. If I could have, I would have converted the spreadsheet to an MS Access database and programmed the query to use information from text boxes. However, not all employees in the company have MS Access on their computer. So I need to use an external query in Excel to look at the MS Access Database. I can do that pretty easily. The Query Wizard walks you right through it. However, I need to make it so that the criteria for the query is drawn ...

Cell Value vs Status Box Value
The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). Any suggestions/ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ awarner1 <<awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in news:awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com: > The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., > status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). > Any suggestions/ideas? What is the number format of the cell? -- My email address has an extra @ (spell ...

How do I add every few cells
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long that I get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells starting with one cell and ending with another. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(B7:B500)-1,3)=0)*(B7:B500)) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so...

Excel cell problem #2
I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance. -- Thanks Steve Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet? Try data|filter|show all (to see everything) then try it out. Steve wrote: > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for so...

Display page number in a cell
Is it possible to display the page numbering in a cell instead of header/footer? This would require some codding to find the pagebreaks and enter a sequential number in a cell above each page break. Have a look at this thread. http://snipurl.com/9ffk Note David MCRitchie's links to Myrna Larson code. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:13:04 -0700, sbuddy <sbuddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to display the page numbering in a cell instead of >header/footer? ...

format cell to allow listing
How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the next cell below- is there any other way besides 'wrap text' and putting in spaces? To create a manual line break, use: <Alt> <Enter>. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "cy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1536c01c3fa2c$66a21870$a501280a@phx.gbl... How do I make a list within a cell (when I press enter, it goes to the...

Track Changes 03-12-10
Let's say I have added 10 words using track changes and then saved my document. Now I want to delete 2 of those words, instead of just deleting them it puts the strikethrough in those 2 words. Why and how do I stop it? This doesn't happen to all documents. Right-click the words and select Accept Change (or Accept Deletion) from the context menu. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Flasho" <Flasho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F05E911C-7CA6-4DAD-A146-C712C8A5BDAA@microsoft.com... > Let's say I have added 10 words usin...

column chart changes my data
Hi I have attempted to make a column chart with error bars using 6.3 0.008199 6.8 0.0151625 7.5 0.006469 as my data, BUT when i highlight and insert chart my figures (6.3,6.8,7.5) change to 1,2, and 3. and my other figures change to 1-8 I am trying to show rate of reaction vs pH level can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong as I dont normally have any trouble with these charts.I am using office 2003 -- thanks to all You should be using an XY chart for numerical value, particularly for scientific analyses. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Pelt...

Change to Insert Drop Down Menu Items Office 2003 Win Vista Home P
When I click Insert>Auto Text>Signature in Word 32003, all of a sudden, beside many of the choices with an > I'm seeing the message Sign Into Office Live Workspace Beta. As I said, it's beside quite a few of the choices in this drop down list. If I click it, it does nothing. I did nothing to change this. Have I gotten an Update from Microsoft that changed something? Now why would Microsoft release an update that screws up Word Pro 2003. Are we pushing 2007 or 2010? Any answers to help restore this function to its working status is greatle appreciated. I alrea...

Formula to show specific results?
I know the answer to this is something simple, but it has me stumped. I need a formula in C4 which, when copied to the remaining cells in Col C, will show the listed results. A B C 1 4 0 4 2 3 -2 5 3 -1 -3 2 4 -2 2 0 TIA, OldKenGoat Looks like homework? But you pen name belies this idea! Surely you can see that: 4 - 0 = 4 2-(-3) = 5 -1-(-3) =2 -2 -2 = 0 So in C4 enter =A4-B4 OR in C1 use =A1=B1 best wishes Bernard "OldKenGoat" <wswensonNOJUNK@cablespeed.com> wrote in message news:ezKkD$cxEHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... &g...

FindRecord2K works perfectly, how to display results in my form??
I downloaded the findrecord2k search form. I would like to add a command button that takes those results that are generated from the query and displays them in my form. There are several command buttons available, would it be easier to modify an event to include displaying the search results in my form instead of the unbound control? ...

Copying Query Results into a Table
Hi, I have a Query which filters out certain records from an existing Table, how can I copy these filtered out records which were based on certain criteria, to an existing Table which have exactly the same name of fields as the Query? Thanks Ange Kappas wrote: > I have a Query which filters out certain records from an existing >Table, how can I copy these filtered out records which were based on certain >criteria, to an existing Table which have exactly the same name of fields as >the Query? Try changing the query to an Append query (using the Query menu...

Excell 2007 Dates and combining 2 cells
I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of mm/dd/yy Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will display a 5 digit number. Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1 cell being the word date- and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number. Example Date-16425. What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined cells (Date- 03/...

ht change default directory for import/export
In Access 2007 is there a way to change the default folder location used for import and export? There's a "Default database folder" under the "Popular" Access options, but it only affects open/save and importing/exporting Access files (accdb and mdb). All the other import/exports (txt, xlsx, xml, etc.) all default to My Documents. Would love to change that, any help? ...

OWA default color scheme
Can anyone tell me how to change the OWA default color from the exchange server. I'd like all my users to have the maroon color scheme to match our school colors. Thanks. owa admin tool for exchange 2003. - rg "KJacks" <KJacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC05FF7D-CF28-4F48-B02D-84FD7D5579E8@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me how to change the OWA default color from the exchange > server. I'd like all my users to have the maroon color scheme to match our > school colors. > Thanks. got a link? "rg" wrote: > owa ...

How do I change the booking window?
I am trying to enter a recurring meeting beyond 1 year and it declines saying "I've gone beyond the booking window," which seems to be 1 year from the start date. Is there anyway to change this to 2 years or anything beyond 1 year? Thanks for any help. The admin needs to change it on the server. See http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/book180.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlo...

Inbox unread total does not change
I have a problem with one Outlook installation in my office. The number on the right of the Inbox, which should reflect the number of unread messages, is the total of all the messages in the Inbox - both unread and read. How do I fix this? >-----Original Message----- >I have a problem with one Outlook installation in my >office. The number on the right of the Inbox, which should >reflect the number of unread messages, is the total of all >the messages in the Inbox - both unread and read. > >How do I fix this? >. >What version of Outlook are you running? ...

(v)lookup part of text in cell
Hi. Can anybody solve this problem in excel? I want to lookup a part of a word in cells fa searching for john and get a "responce" like this: Johndoe | yes john,doe | yes doejoHn | yes samual | Johnace | yes pete | I was thinking it could be possible with using wildcards in the vlookup function, but I don' t know how. It would be nice if capitals are ignored. Tia Ted Hi, yes, you can use wildcards with vlookup: =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP("*john*",A1,1,0),"","yes") or you can do this: =CHOOSE(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("john",A1...

CRM 3.0
I would like to move the ordernumber middle part to a larger number to match the next available number in the existing paper order system. Where do I find the row/column in the database to change the seed or next available number? ...

Escalation or notification based on time elapsed
Hello Please advise on how I can customize the MS CRM Workflow to notify a manager if one sales stage takes more than a stipulated time frame? Is it possible or am I overlooking the obvious? Kindly help Regards M Babu You are overlooking the obvious. Read up on customizing CRM and look at the Workflow Management. For things like this you can use all the GUI tools and are pretty easy to figure out. ...

Making a Blank Cell
I am displaying monthly data in a simple line chart. When the data in the assoicated cells (say for april onwards) is completely blank (not data or equation in the cell) the line on the chart stops at march (this is the effect i need). However, the data in the cells is not typed in but calculated from other cells. With the presence of the formuae the chart automatically assumes that the value for the month of april onwards is zero even if the cell value has been set by the formuea to equal "", causing the lines to drop to zero. Is there any way set a cell value to 'blank...

Delete records based on a union query
I have created a union query to combine records from 2 tables into a single table that allows me to find any duplicates between the 2 tables. In a form I have set up a checkbox to to mark the records that I want to delete from one of the tables used to create the union. So my criteria should be that if the checkbox is marked yes in the union query, delete the corresponding record from only the main table. Haven't been able to figure this one out. On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:03:01 -0800, jeremiah <jeremiah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created a union query to combi...

subform used for changing mainform record
Hello. I have a main form that has a tabcontrol on it. One of the tabs has a subform on it that will list the many of the mainform's one. This is a parent/child hierarchy set up. So the parents and children are all in one table. A parent can also be a child and a child can also be a parent. Anyway, below is the code that I originally used for making the change. Now it does not and I do not see why. The button that I am using is inside the subform that when used takes and changes the mainform to the selected record and the subform as well. The txtChangeRequestID is the...

How do I track changes made to an Excel spreadsheet within a Word.
I established an Excel spreadsheet within a Word document by just using the Excel icon in Word and creating the spreadsheet. Now I find that the tracking feature in Word will not track the changes made to this spreadsheet, nor will the tracking tool in Excel. Can anyone help? Thanks. ...

Cell shading issue on EXCEL 2003
I'm newly on XP and EXCEL 2003 from an antique computer and old Microsoft versions. I'm unable to view cell shading on the screen even though the "format cells, patterns, cell shading, color" shows that it should be there. It doesn't show for either new spreadsheets or existing ones (which had shading for my input cells in prior EXCEL versions). I've tried everything I can think of.........any suggestions? Is it EXCEL or XP settings? In posting this, I found the answer from Rowan Drummond from the 10/18/2005 posting. Turning off "High Contrast" on...