Cells formatted for general and text show scientific format

I am working on an Amazon.com shipping confirmation
upload.  The workbook is downloaded from amazon.com. When
I enter the Order Item ID number which is 14 characters,
it displays in scientific format.  I have tried general,
number and text formats.  Number format works if there is
no leading zero but general and text do not.
0
anonymous (74722)

- Are you formatting the column for Order Item ID number
before entering the data?  That should solve the problem.
- If you are formatting after entering the data, selecting
F2 (Edit) in a cell will then put that cell into the
correct text format (except for leeding -0-s which would
would have to then add.
HTH,
Gary

0
anonymous (74722)

Can I fix the exponent in scientific/engineering format?
This is sort of a continuation of my search to find a ppm number forma (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=368806). Found someone who mentioned using engineering formats (kind of a extension of scientific format). After a little tinkering, here's wha I've found (using the values of 7E-3 and 7=-5 as examples): format 7e-3 displayed 7e-5 displayed .0E+0 .7E-2 .7E-4 0.0E+0 7.0E-3 7.0E-5 (REGULAR SCIENTIFIC NOTATION) #0.0E+0 70.0E-4 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE MULTIPLES OF 2) ##0.0E+0 7.0E-3 70.0E-6 (EXPONENTS ARE...

Deleting characters in text fields
I have a table of data where the quantity is stored as a text value. Before I convert it to a number value I need to delete some of the characters. Most of the values appear like this: 25.000- but some appear as 5- with no decimal points. Is there a way to to strip out all characters to the left of the decimal point so that 25.000- ends up as 25? Or is there a way just to strip out the " - " character to get 25.000? Thanks, Sean Sean, You can strip out the "-" by using the Replace command: Replace("25.000-", "-", "") Taking every...

highliting works on with html format?
Hi guys, Here is what I would like to do: In outlook, suppose I get a message in plan text format. I would like to open the email, and maybe make some sentences bold and colored. and then I can save it. Hence after sometime the email will be noticable for me. Now, I can do this if the e-mail is sent in html format cause then I open the message and then I press "edit message" and the edit toolbar becomes usable and I do things on the email. However, if the email is sent in "plain text" format, I can not edit the email at all. I try to push the "edit message" butt...

Highlighting Texts
can you highlight text in publisher the way you can in word Hi tom (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || can you highlight text in publisher the way you can in || word No Tom, you cannot. The work around involves creating a small rectangle, filling the rectangle with the desired highlight color and place behind the text. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. >-----Original Message----- >Hi tom (anonymous@disc...

how to count cells with equal sign
Hi guys please help me to write this formula: if the integers of the A1 and A2 are of the same sign(+ or -) =1 if not =0 I need to count cells with equal sign and i don't know how to expres in formula "equal sign" Appreciate your help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi! Perhaps use the fact that, if you multiply together two numbers wit the same sign the answer will be positive. And if you multiply two wit opposite signs, the answer will be negative. So: =if(A1*A2>0,1,0). This doesn't cover the cases of A1 and/or A2 being zero. Does tha matter? If i...

putting date and time together in 1 cell
Hi I need to convert New Zealand time to UK time, the time is displayed in two parts A B date time dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss How do i get cell A and cell B into one cell with the format dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss and then I can just minus 13 hours. any ideas please. =SUM(A2,B2,-13/24) and format the cell as dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi I need to convert New Zealand time to UK time, the time >is displayed in two parts >A B >date time >dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss > >How do i get cell A and c...

Number formatting issues
An ongoing issue I have had is with one of the columns in the reports I am accessing. One of the fields I access has a numbers in it such as "063740285007037" but when they are copied and pasted into another sheet "6.37403E+13" is displayed. Is there any way to correct this after the data has been pasted? Thank you for your help. Change the number format of that range. Select the range to fix Format|cells|Number tab|custom category type: 000000000000000 (as many as you need to keep the leading 0's) Or maybe you could paste a second time: Edit|Paste special|p...

Formatting 0 values to show blank cells
I am using the =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),0,VLOOKUP(...)) to return a zero value. For printing purposes I need the 0 to not show in the cell (blank cell). I can do this by using the accounting format, but a dash (-) still shows in the cell. The sheet is protected to protect the formula. How can I protect AND not show anything in the cell WHILE keeping the value at "0"? You can use set the custom format to ;;""; See Worksheet and Excel table basics > Formatting numbers in Excel help file for details. "RLD" wrote: > I am using the =...

User name does not show up in Global Address List in Outlook
We created several AD accounts with email. I look at the exchange server and the recipients policy is default. Is there an options or configurations I need to do so the user email address will automatically show up in the global address list? I am stump as to why it does not show up in global address list. they should, automatically...are the AD accounts stamped with an smtp address? If not, it would appear that your RUS is malfunctioning...if they are, you should be able to see them in the GAL unless you're running Outlook in cached mode, maybe, and your OAB is not updating... -...

How to change a Macro based on content of a cell
Hi, I need to import a text file into a spreadsheet. I can do this manually by doing File > Open > then select a text file. Then Excel goes through the Text Import Wizard I can automate this by recording a Macro in Excel. The macro looks like this (Excell wrote that for me, I did not): Sub Macro1() Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\DrillData\" + "MOR701.pck", Origin:=xlMSDOS, _ StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 1), Array(12 _ , 1), Array(26, 1), Array(37, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True End Sub How can I change ...

no text on subform when there are no child records
Your help is appreciated. I'm relatively new to Access with no VBA training. My form calls GrantID and Grant# from tblGrant. The subform shows current records from a query of tblQuestion and tblQuestionDescription (tblGrant has a 1-to-many relationship with tblQuestion). When I created the subform, I chose to have the subform fields related to GrantID. The challenge...if a Grant# doesn't currently have any related records on tblQuestion, the labels and fields on the subform do not show - the subform is blank. I want the user to be able to add records to the subform that populate tblQ...

how to sort cells with sheet reference
i an unable to sort the data in cells containing a reference to anothe sheet. it seems as though excel is treating this reference as absolut and not relative. is there any way to do this, such that thes equations adjust to the sorting? any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks -- vba_neophyt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- vba_neophyte's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2418 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37804 one way would be to copy and paste specail values only - a...

Excell Cells: Auto Formatting
I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row and it wont extend. What can I do? When protecting the sheet allow users to format cells and rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:14:01 -0800, Sophie <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit >information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row > and it wont extend. What can I do? How do I jus...

Need help with format
I have 2,000 players in football pool game. What would be a format I'd use. How will I be able to find the player with the least amount of mistakes? Thanks, R2ri =Index(A:A,Match(min(B:B),B:B,0),1) Assume names are in column A, count of mistakes in column B if there is a tie for least amount, the player in the lowest numbered row with the least amount will be shown. Also look in Excel Help for the RANK function. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy R2ri <ron_2ri2ri@yahoo.comn> wrote in message news:339b01c37a44$ea707830$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have 2,000 players in football pool g...

Text Overflow into Different Row
Excel allow text to overflow into an adjacent cell as long as it is empty and it is in the same row. How can I make it overflow if it si in a different row? Thank you ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

range to cell
Hello, I am writing a program. I have a excel range object. And I want to point another cell at this range. how can I do that? On the range there is column = 4 row = 3. but I cannot just say =4,3 or something like that? don't you need =D3? why is the column D and not 4? strange =sheets("Sheet1").range("D4") or =sheets("Sheet1").cells(3, 4) -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "greg" wrote: > Hello, > I am writing a program. > I have a excel range object. > And I want to point another cell at this range. > how can I do that? > On the ran...

How to format number with mixed number and text?
I put the following formula into a cell: =6.65+0.15&" lb". It did what I intended, namely: add the numbers and display the result with the tag, i.e. "6.8 lb". However, the Number format seems to have no effect on the displayed result. For example, if Decimal Places is 2, the above result is still "6.8 lb", not "6.80 lb". I get more decimal places only if they are "needed". For example, =6.65+0.1511&" lb" displays 4 decimal places, even if the Number format is 2 decimal places. How can I control the format of the numeric ...

if the cell value exceeds the limit to have a dialog box appear
Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box would appear? Thanks for any assistance. Dave Check Data Validation: Select the cells Data>Data Validation Allow: (check out the number options: whole number, decimal, etc) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Dschro" wrote: > Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box > would appear? > > Thanks for any assistance. > > Dave > Ron, Here's the scenario -- on an Expense Report: If an employee was to fill in any amount in the &...

Counting conditional formatting
Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:13:01 -0700, "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Re my earlier post, I am tring to fond a formula to count those cells that >have been formatted by conditional formatting. I have no idea what your earlier post was, as this post appears in a thread by itself. But to count those cells that have been formatted by conditional formatting, you will need to use the same formula that you used for the conditional form...

OWA Not Showing Outlook Messages
Hello-- We just did an Exchange switch from one server to another. We have one client who logs onto OWA and cannot see his messages nor his calender. Everyone else that has tried seems to be fine. If I send the client an email, it will show in his inbox in OWA. What could be causing this? How can I correct it? Specs: Exchange Server 2003 standard, with Outlook 2003. Many thanks, Stephen Deliveryset to Personal Folders on his workstation? razor wrote: > Hello-- > > We just did an Exchange switch from one server to another. We have one > client who logs onto OWA and cannot...

Excel cell display
I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I make that happen? Would Insert> Comment work for you? "slantt" wrote: > I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I > make that happen? Yes, thanks - I found that after I posted of course (newbie to Excel). I was looking to see if there was a macro I could gen to do the same thing... "ufo_pilot" wrote: > Would > Insert> Comment > work for you? > > > "slantt" wrote: > > > I want a text box...

How can I sort and maintain formatting?
I have a very large excel doc (well over 1,000 rows, by 30 somethin columns) that require formatting (resizing the row height) each row b hand. I have done all of that tideous work, but now I need to sort b multiple columns, and when I do that, the formatting of the cells i not maintained. (The size of the row stays, rather than moves with th data) Please tell me there is a remedy and I haven't just wasted m time formatting for nothing! Thanks for any and all advice -- littlelostgr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- littlelostgrl's Profile: http:/...

Pictures and Text
I am putting pictures and text in my Publisher 2003 file but it does not display any pictures or text. I did check the settings in pictures and it is set correctly. Does it display anything? -- Don Vancouver, USA "Brenda" <Brenda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E097098D-7416-499B-99BF-85FC45D42CD5@microsoft.com... >I am putting pictures and text in my Publisher 2003 file but it does not > display any pictures or text. I did check the settings in pictures and it > is > set correctly. It does show the text but does not show any picture...

Change Text color using CListCtrl
Hello, Does anyone know how to change the color of text for a single row only in the mult-column ist box using CListCtrl. Thank You "Ririko Horvath" wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know how to change the color of text for a single row only > in the mult-column ist box using CListCtrl. > > Thank You > > > Hi, http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/ReportControl.asp Regards, Selvam ...