Cells font colors

Does anyone know how to have a cell font change color
What I am trying to figure out is if cell A1 contains a number I would like that cell font to start off in red and if cell B2 contains a number have cell A1 change to red automatically
I think it is something like =IF(D4="",0[RED],100[GREEN]

And/Or Should I use Condiational Formating or a double IF?

Hi Robbins2U!

You can't do it with cell formulas.

Take a look at Format > Conditional formatting.

You need the Formula is option and your formula should evaluate to
TRUE or FALSE

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
6/6/2004 1:09:41 AM
There are a number of ways to cause the font in a cell to change
color..........Custom Formatting, Conditional Formatting, or through Macros,
to name some.........trying to do so with regular formulas is not one of
them.

First thing you need to decide is how many colors you want to use, and what
conditions you want each to exist under..............once you have that
list, post back and someone will help............can't do much with your
initial spec of "make A1 RED, then if a number in B1, make A1
RED"............

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Robbins2U" <ch_robbins@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to have a cell font change color?
> What I am trying to figure out is if cell A1 contains a number I would
like that cell font to start off in red and if cell B2 contains a number
have cell A1 change to red automatically.
> I think it is something like =IF(D4="",0[RED],100[GREEN])
>
> And/Or Should I use Condiational Formating or a double IF?

0
croberts (1377)

chart with two data series and two colors for each data series
Hi! I am using visual studio.net 2.0 and trying to use OWC11 to draw a chart from the database. If its only one data series it is fine but i cant see the second data series. all i was trying to do was display actual and budgeted against year. below are the code for clarification gvPortfolioHisex.DataSource = dtPropertyCapex gvPortfolioHisex.DataBind() 'Now Build a graph from the dataset Dim oChartSpace As New Owc11.ChartSpaceClass() Dim objChart As Owc11.ChChart = oChartSpace.Charts.Add(0) objChart.HasTitle = True objChart.Title.Caption = "Historical Expenditure Graph&quo...

how to add a cell value to a letter to reference another cell
Is it possible to take the value of a cell (say the value of 83 that's in cell A1) and append it to a letter (Z) so that a subsequent formula can get a value that's in Z83. Hope this make's sense. Thanks in advance for the help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way, =INDIRECT("Z"&A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mac Macaroo" <Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn...

Fonts #6
I accidently deleted two my fonts that I use a lot, Curlz MT and French Script. How can I get them back? They are not in the recycle bin. I'm assuming you've checked your Font subdirectory? Deleting a font isn't difficult but you really have to *try* to do that. I'd suggest starting there, -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "Marge" <mbarnes3@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:1816701c4225a$930c89d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I accidently deleted two my fonts that I use a lot, > Curlz MT and French Script. How can I get them back? > They...

Numerical characters in a cell
I am using Execll 2002 and cannot put more than 15 numbers in a cell before it shortens the numbers. Is there a way of changing how many numerical characters in a cell. -- Neil Excel only keeps track of 15 digits. If you can treat the digits as text, you can prefix your entry with an apostrophe: '123451234512345 or preformat the cell as Text first (format|Cells|Number tab) Then type in your entry. NeilC wrote: > > I am using Execll 2002 and cannot put more than 15 numbers in a cell before > it shortens the numbers. Is there a way of changing how many numerical > charac...

Data Validation
It's amazing how much time can be wasted trying variations of a custom formula in Data Validation without hitting on the right syntax :-( I have a cell (assume A1) formatted as a number to 2 decimal places. Normally a formula will enter the appropriate number in the cell, otherwise the formula will enter "". Sometimes the formula will be overwritten and a number will be entered manually. Because the number may be entered manually, I want to set a Data Validation check. Data Validation will need to allow both "" or any number (including 0.00). I was trying to...

clearing values of cells in named range(s) so the cells are empty
Hi all I am working on project where i paste data-set into a worksheet (sheet1) , do several calculations and put the results specific cells on sheet2. I am using named ranges for the cells in sheet2 that receive the data. WHat i am trying to figure out is a way to set the cells in the named ranges on sheet2 to 0 or "" before starting the routine that does all the calculaions. This way I can be sure that the data on sheet2 belongs to current set of calculations. Thank you in advance for any advise. BRC Assuming one of the named ranges is name SomeRangeName, then this state...

Excel should have a feature just right click on a cell and get it.
I suggest Excel should have a ficility to right click on a single Cell and get its previous value. This will help to make undo more customized.. ...

Change default colors for charting
I would like to change the default colors fot the lines and background in Excel charts. The default background is gray and wastes toner and the yellow default color for series 2 data is difficult to see on a white backgound. Anyone know where these are stored or how to change these settings? I know how to change the colors, but don't want to have to do this every time I chart. Thanks Hi, Jon has information on creating custom types. You can also update the Default chart type. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/CreateCustomTypes.html Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft ...

code to assign colors to chart
Is it possible to code a chart so that if the data is a 1, make the color of the pie chart section red and if the data is a 0 make the color of the pie chart section green? The data is a count of 1's or 0's. Currently if the data count is all 0's (100%) the whole pie is green and if... the data count is all 1's (100%) the whole pie is still green. If the data is all 1's I need the pie to be red. Is there a way to program, if data to be counted is 1's make red, if dat to be counted is 0's make green??? It's making me crazy. I don't like chart...

Why does my text in a cell with wrap text and auto height get cut
It seems that wrap text and autofit row width and row height have a limit. Any idea where to change this limit? I have quite a large text in a cell and when I do wrap text and autofit, then parts of the text get cut of. The text is still there, but it is not shown in the cell and it is cut off when printing. HerbertB wrote: > It seems that wrap text and autofit row width and row height have a limit. > > Any idea where to change this limit? > > I have quite a large text in a cell and when I do wrap text and autofit, > then parts of the text get cut of. The t...

Why do the colors or shading only show up in print preview in Exce
I have attempted to follow directions for inserting color and shading in cells in Excel, but the color only shows in print preview, not in the window I am working in.........WHY is this happening? Hi! See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Biff "voiceqween" <voiceqween@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71986630-E420-4036-9F00-3C5A087B6884@microsoft.com... >I have attempted to follow directions for inserting color and shading in > cells in Excel, but the color only shows in print preview, not in the > window > I am working ...

Strange huge font in my Notes pane. HELP!
I have a problem and cannot find out anywhere what has happened. In 'Normal View' my Notes appear as if they are Font 48 or similar. I am unable to change this and it makes editing or viewing the notes pages in presenter mode very difficult. In 'Notes Master' view they look the correct size, which is Font 12 (I think). Help! Dear Ralph, Go to View > Notes Page (not Notes Master). Right click on the notes page, select Notes Layout, then check Reapply Master. "Ralph Danger" wrote: > > I have a problem and cannot find out anywher...

Maintaining Text Box Font Setting through VB
Hi, Everyone - I've run into this issue, and I can seem to figure it out. In my spreadsheet, I've included several text boxes at the bottom of the pages. The VB code I also have included is, when the pages are printed, alternately place a "P" in the text boxes. Then I formatted the text boxes to use WingDings II so that checkmarks SHOULD appear in the boxes. I've also included code that would (1) unprotect the sheet; (2) print the pages with the text boxes; and (3) reprotect the sheet. What keeps on happening is that, for some unknown reason (at least to me), t...

Excel 2007
Issue: cell/text formatting is automatically removed after I open a saved document. This problem has occurred 3-4 different spreadsheets: - After I upgraded to Office 2007, I was working on a basic spreadsheet (just data columns with fonts, font colours, font highlights and sorted) that I had previously saved using 2003 as a XLS. I was using/running Compatibility mode and no compatibility issues where reported when I saved the documents. After I added a few new lines, I saved the excel spreadsheet as XLS and reopened the file, all of the cell formatting – font, colours, w...

color coding meeting Outlook 2000
Good day, In Outlook 2000, is it possible to specify a color for meetings? So when I add meetings about topic X, I make it look blue, and when I had meetings about topic Y, I make them look green. Regards. Maxime, the short answer is no. This capability was introduced in Outlook 2003. What you can do is change the font color for appointments and meetings depending on criteria you set. One way to do this is to switch to your Calendar, then View > Current View > Customize Current View > Automatic Formatting, and create your criteria. Hope this helps. -- DDM "DDM's...

PLEASE HELP??? copy every other cell value to a range of cells
My table data 5/1 5/2 Customer A Qty1 10 10 Qty2 1 2 ------------------------------------------ Balance 9 17 Customer B Qty1 10 10 Qty2 5 2 ---------------------------------------------- Balance 5 13 I am trying to copy and paste a balance formula for each customer group. The formula is basically Qty1 (Previous cell) - Qty2(Previous cell) ...

Changing Text Colors on Task List
I need to be able to change the color of specific task list entries in Outlook. Can anyone tell me how this can be accomplished? Thanks! Use the Automatic Formatting feature for this. While in the Tasks folder, click View | Current View | Customize Current View, then click the Automatic Formatting button. Set the formatting rules up as you want them. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Bob Bowers" <rbowers@levinco.com> wrote i...

Publisher fonts
I am using Publisher 2000. In the font selection field I have the following fonts: @Batang, @BatangChe, @Dotum, @DotumChe, @Gulim, @GulimChe, @Gungsuh, @GungsuhChe, @MingLiu, @MS Gothic. I have removed all the languages settings except US English in Start>>Programs>>Office>>Office Tools>>Microsoft XP Language Settings. I do not see a lanuage setting for other Office applications there. Maybe because this is Publisher 2000, the above fonts still show up. How can I remove them? Thanks. Darryl ...

Keyboard Shortcut for Font #2
Thank you for your reply. I was actually looking for a shortcut key that would get me to the fon style and size on the menu bar. Kind of like Alt+B makes the curren font BOLD. Is there anything like that? Thanks agai -- t2tru ----------------------------------------------------------------------- t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=387 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27426 hi, not really. Alt+b is a yes/no decision and shortcuts are easy for that situation. but fonts are another thing becasue there are ...

Conditional Cell Number Formatting
I've looked back on several thousand messages or so and haven't seen this so here goes. I need to be able to set the numerical format of a cell based upon the contents of another cell. In other words if C1 is equal to x than the numerical format of C2 would be "00000" and if C1 equals y then the C2 cell's format would need to be set as 000000000000. I hope I've been clear, thanks!! All i could find in the usual help channels was concerning the formatting of contents with respect to font, colors, etc. VBA? Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target...

Updating of a locked cell
I have a worksheet protected because it is all formulas for calculations with other worksheets within the workbook. When I change one of the unprotected cells of a worksheet, I want the formual cell to "update". It will if it is not protected but the cell is locked and protected. How do I keep others from editing the formula if I can not have the cell locked/protected? Excel should reevaluate the cell with the formula -- as long as you changed something that the formula cell depends on. Well, unless you're in manual calculation mode. And that sounds like it migh...

Referencing a Sheet and Cell Location in Change Event of Combo Box
I have a combo box in Sheet1 of my workbook I would like after any ite is changed in it to go to Cell A4 of my Rates Worksheet in the sam workbook. Here is the code Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() Sheets("Rates").Select Range("A4").Select End Sub It is breaking on this line here Range("A4").Select What do I need to change so that it can go to A4 of my Rates worksheet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use this Sheets("Rates").Activate Sheets("Rates").Range("A4").Select Or Application.Goto Reference:=Worksheets...

choose a specific color for my chart
I want my charts to be of specific colors, different from the ones I can choose in excel. I want to type them in using the color code (as we do in html). But I can't figure out how. Can anybody help me...? Under Tools - Options, Color tab. You can select to modify any of the default colors (including ones used for charts). Click "modify", then go to the "custom" tab. You can now define a specific color using either RGB or HSL. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Berit" wrote: > I want my charts to ...

Adding Fonts #3
I have read and followed the instructions to add new fonts. I have uploaded the new fonts in the font folder in Windows in Control panel. The new fonts are not visable in Publisher. I want to use the fonts Helven How do I add these to Publisher? Plus the shaow box is greyed out and not an option for the fonts installed on Publisher... How do make this option avaiable? Are you trying to create a web page? Only 11 fonts will be available unless you go to Format, Fonts, uncheck the box. The shadow feature is not available when you do a web page. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ &q...

Cells do not Retain Formatting After Pasting.
I have very a simple spreadsheet with lists of names, addresses, telephone numbers etc. I have preset the formatting for the telephone number column, to "text" and centre alignment. When I paste in a telephone number from Outlook Express such as 01282830756 it changes the format and I lose the first 0 and the alignment is from the right. After pasting I have to reformat to text and centre alignment. This is a real pain and time consuming. Is there any way to cure this and force Excel to retain the formatting I have set? Robert Paste the values only. Edit, Paste Special, ...