Cell returns worksheet name

Hi.

There's got to be a function for this.

How can I get a cell to return the name of the current worksheet?

This would be ideal for groupeding worksheets, creating your work, and then,
once ungrouped, having the sheet name apear in a cell on that particular
sheet.

Thank you for any help on this.

-1

"Derick" <gittyup777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> There's got to be a function for this.
>
> How can I get a cell to return the name of the current worksheet?
>
> This would be ideal for groupeding worksheets, creating your work,
and then,
> once ungrouped, having the sheet name apear in a cell on that
particular
> sheet.
>
> Thank you for any help on this.

Derick,

One way to do this would be to strip the sheet name out of
CELL("filename").  Try:

=RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename"
)))

Hope this helps,

Mike

-1
send1 (3)
5/1/2004 9:57:45 PM
File path and file name:
=CELL("filename",A1)

File path only
=LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1)

File name only
=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)+1,FIND("]",CELL("fi
lename",A1),1)-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1),1)-1)

The sheet name
=RIGHT(CELL("filename",A1),LEN(CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename"
,A1),1))

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Derick" <gittyup777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> There's got to be a function for this.
>
> How can I get a cell to return the name of the current worksheet?
>
> This would be ideal for groupeding worksheets, creating your work, and
then,
> once ungrouped, having the sheet name apear in a cell on that particular
> sheet.
>
> Thank you for any help on this.

1
bob.phillips1 (6510)

I need to convert name 3 part name into Last, First MiddleNameorMI
I have a column of names, most of which are FirstName LastName in format. Some, however are First MiddleName (or MI) Last. I need to convert these values into LastName Firstname MI. I have a formula that gets close, but doesn't account for the possible presence of a Middle Name or initial. For ex, data could be Jill Smith, or Jo Ann Smith. I need to make Smith, Jill and Smith, Jo Ann. Seems like I need to go backwards thru the string with a Search function to find the 2nd space for this to work, but can't. Or should I try it by parsing consecutive columns with incremental chan...

Excel crashes when entering numbers and formulas into cells

How to assign a value as a Named Area
I would like to write a VBA to make some copies automatically. The range is to be selected based on a cell's value. For example : if A1 = "General Admin" Then print area named "GA" if A1 = "Sales Admin" Then print area named "SA" My VBA is : Dim x As String If ActiveCell.Value = "General Management" Then x = "GA" ElseIf ActiveCell.Value = "Sales Admin." Then x = "SA" ElseIf ActiveCell.Value = "Beijing" Then x = "BJ" ElseIf ActiveCel...

Replace Cell Address in A Long Formula
From time to time, I need to do some change in some very long formula. For example: =TRIM(IF(ISERROR(FIND(" ",B46,FIND(" ",B46,1)+2)),MID(B46,FIND(" ",B46,1)+1,LEN(B46)),MID(B46,FIND(" ",B46,FIND(" ",B46)+2),LEN(B46)))) I want to replace all the "B46" with "F18". Is there a easier way? Thanks. One quick and dirty way is to Edit>Replace B46 with F18. HTH Anders Silven "plumstone" <plumstone@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet news:29A2448B-1055-4847-9779-EA0FDDA5C05D@microsoft.com... > From...

worksheets gone
I've been doing some mail merge, and suddenly with no apparent reason my Excel worksheets are not showing up. When I click on Excel icon, one part of a sheet will come up (like beginning w/ D89). The other two worksheet tabs don't show up at all on the bottom like usual. Please help me asap. I am dying here. bob ...

text in cell looks different when printed
text in cell looks ok on screen. when printed, text is moved around, out of alignment from the way the cell looked when viewing the screen. When keying in information into a cell, how do you get the text to skip a line? when I press enter key, the pointer moves to the next cell. Hi I would check your printer driver for your first problem. How does it look on Print Preview? For your second question, use Alt Enter and this will insert a carriage return into the cell. -- Andy. "thomas brown" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35c101c42944$...

Dynamic Series Name
I have a table that is set up using "Data-Filter-AutoFilter" so that the user can click a drop down arrow in the header for column 1 (the x-values), select a value, and the table displays only those records. A chart is connected to the table. In the chart I want the series name to be the user's choice of the dropdown value. For example, say the x-value choices are "apples", "oranges", or "lemons". If the user chooses "oranges", then that becomes the series name in the chart. Can someone come up with a way to do this. I have thus far...

Formula to lookup named reference based on value
I cant' figure out what the exact words that I'm looking for and if I did I would most likely find the answer. I've got a spreadsheet that has a series of numbers in say column A and it has the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 Further on in the spreadsheet I have named values like CA.1, CA.2, CA. 3 What I want to do is in the formula go: =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*CA.2) (for the named range CA.2) Is it possible to have something that goes.... =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*"CA"&B4) where B4 = 2 Thus the outcome would be CA.2 ????? =(X1/SUM(X:X,X,X:X)*INDIRECT("CA"&B4)) -- Kind...

How do I expand the number of characters allowed in an Excel cell.
The default for maximum number of characters in a single Excel cell is 1024. If you enter more than that all you see is astricks (********). If you select the cell where the astericks show, you can read the information in the formula bar above. However, it does not print out well. I am importing web data from a Web Based Application into Excel and require a column for comments which normally falls below the default maximum. On those occassions it does not, it is a pain. I have run into this problem for quite a while and have finally decided to put it out there for the more advan...

Returning every 7th row of a column
I have a row of 1836 consecutive dates in a column and I want a new column with only every 7th row's date (the date beginning each week). How do I get Excel to do this? Hi, Assuming the date are in Col A try this formula dragged down =INDEX(A:A,(ROW(A1)-1)*6+1) Now this assumes the data start in row 1. If it's another row then adjust the last 1 in the formula to that row -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "bondjel" wr...

Run a Hyperlink from another cell
I have a master spreadsheet and a cutdown spreadsheet. I have a hyperlink to a file in the master spreadsheet which I want to link to on the cutdown spreadsheet. At the moment if I click on the hyperlink on the cutdown spreadsheet it opens the master and goes to the hyperlink cell reference. I want to open the file from the original hyperlink when I click on the cell in the cutdown spreadsheet. I hope somebody can help. ...

4000 defined names
My excel sheet shows some 4000 defined names which i never created. Though I can easily delete these unwanted names using the utitily available at http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp/, I would like to know, if someone as any idea, as to how these names got created in the first place. These names refer to various servers and computers. This file did travel to various computers but for sure no name was defined on those computers also. Thanks in advance for your help jauney Hi jauney, Did you possibly convert the workbook to web pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed ...

create a rewrite rule for the domain name?
Hi all, I've a scenario where I receive an email to a distribution list on my exchange 2003 server from a paging service - skytel.com - that is distributed to local support reps as well as needs to go back out to another page at the same skytel.com paging service. skytel.com sees the message coming from skytel.com and doesnt accept it. Is there a way for me to set up a scenario where I change who the orginal message is coming from or change the domainname when sending back out to skytel.com so it will accept it? I looked at trying to set up a rule on a mailbox but they all forwar...

Insert a space in all blank cells of the first column
Dear Experts: For some specific reasons I would like to enter a space in all blank cells of the first column of my spreadsheet called sheet 1. How is this done by using VBA? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas First, this is usually a mistake to do. It'll mess up formulas like: =if(a1="","it looks empty","it doesn't look empty") If you have other formulas that use these empty cells--like: ='sheet 99'!a1 and you're seeing 0's where you don't want them, try modifying your formul...

How to reverse the column name and row name?
In the original setting of excel, the column name starts from "A", "B", "C", .....so on and the row name starts from "1", "2", "3".... so on. Is it possible to change the setting to the column name starts from "1", "2", "3" and the row name starts from "A", "B", "C" ? Many thanks in advance ! The simple answer is no. You can change column headings to numbers by adopting the R1C1 notation Tools>Options>General and select the R1C1 style. You could use Row 1 to displ...

Public Constant not visible in worksheet?
Office / Excel 2003 SP3 XP Pro SP3 I'm writing some code that I'd like to be available to every worksheet in the workbook, and for a variety of reasons I'm trying to avoid using PERSONAL.XLS and/or addins. [The object of the exercise is to allow any user within the organization to be able to utilize the macros in this workbook as long as (s)he has a standard Office installation.] I've written sub procedures in a standard module in the workbook / project that are called from a Worksheet_Changed event .... the code works as expected. My problem is when I attempted to rep...

Conditional formating an entire row vs. only one cell
I have 400 rows of data. There are four columns that contain any one of five different key letters (R, NR, O, U, NA). What I want to do is that everytime a letter such as NR shows up in any of the four columns, the entire row has a conditional format applied. When I do "Cell Is", the conditional format is only applied to the one cell that meets the condition even if I have the entire row(s) highlighted when I create the conditional format. I tried to find similar posts to help but have not been successful. Using Excel 2003. Highlight all your data (assuming you have start...

how to skip the blank cells
hi, i copied some cells including blank, but after checking the skip blank button when i try to paste the blank cells are also copied. Select the copied cells including the blank... ....Select Edit then Go to (ctrl G) Click the special botton...select BLANKS click OK the performed delete command >-----Original Message----- >hi, >i copied some cells including blank, but after checking the skip blank >button when i try to paste the blank cells are also copied. >. > ...

Hide rows if cells = 0.00
I am trying to hide rows if any cell in a columm = 0.00. Example: If any cell in column D = 0.00 than hide the row containing that cell. Highlight your data, then from the menu bar select Data > Filter > Autofilter. Select the drop-down in column D and choose Custom. Use the drop-downs to set your selection to read 'does not equal' '0.00', then click OK. Those rows with 0.00 in column D should now be filtered out (they're still in your data, just not visible). --Bruce "dford" wrote: > I am trying to hide rows if any cell in a columm = 0.00. Exa...

Protect a worksheet
I have worksheet protection setup on a excel worksheet. I want to know if there is a way to prevent users from highlighting the page and creating their own worksheet so they can make changes. As of right now, the worksheet prevents any changes but people have been highlighting, copying and pasting to a new worksheet so they can make changes. Is there a way to prevent this? Thanks, Jasper "Jaz" <jrecto99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uQFtaYgEGHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have worksheet protection setup on a excel worksheet. > > I want to know if there i...

Counting cells basesd on multiple criteria
Ok so i have two sheets In SHEET 1 column A i have a list of about 1000 different alarms. Then In SHEET 2 i have a log for 30 days with the alarms that occured in those thirty days. The log takes up 35465 thousand rows. Column D has the name of the alarm and Column C has if the alarm was an IN or OUT alarm. What i want to do is in SHEET 1 column 2 display how many times each of these 1000 alarms occured in the last 30 days but only when it was an IN alarm. I cant use something that refrences the name of the alarm i need a formula that can actually refrence the cell because it would be ...

Sending an entire worksheet via a hyperlink / button
I have a worksheet with many drop down menus, etc, and i want people to be able to fill it in, and then send it on ..... but you know how lazy people are .... if they have to save it, then send it, they will gripe about it! Is there a way to just have a hyperlink style button on the sheet that once the guys have filled it out, it just sends the sheet to me? Thanks, Jim Suggest looking at Ron de Bruin's website http://www.rondebruin.nl/ -- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org...

_T() return LPCTSTR?
_T("Mutex") return LPCTSTR? Yes, string literals will be const. -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1137182659.902217.83150@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > _T("Mutex") return LPCTSTR? > "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1137182659.902217.83150@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > _T("Mutex") return LPCTSTR? Sort of. "Mutex" is an array of 6 chars (the final one being '\0' ) L"Mutex" is an array of 6 wchar_t 's In a unic...

sum value of nonblank discontinuous cells
I'm trying to figure out in what way I can sum up the currency values of select cells in a row based upon alternate select cells having a value that is not blank. I'm trying to create a worksheet that will allow our group to order items and provide totals. So, if they do not enter anything into that particular column the adjacent one will stay blank. However, if they enter a quantity in column a then column b will provide a total. I've gotten that far. What I want to do now is to read those specific quantity columns and if they have a number (isnumber) then to add those...

Biztalk 2002, eConnet 8.0 how to return the Error number/string using the eConnect Wrapper?
Does anyone use orchestration designer with the eConnect wrapper for version 8.0? if so how do you return the error number/string in the form of an email? Currently I have wrote a lot of functions in the pre/post routines to help me out. ...