cell reference #2

I have a question about cell reference in newer editions
of Excel. In older editions cell reference was denoted by
a letter and a number e.g. B3, A5 etc. In a recent
edition (I don't know which) I saw a format which
displayed numbers on both the vertical and horizontal
axes. Reference to a cell was made (I think) but
subtracting the reference number from the cell to which
it was refering. Does this make sense?

My question is whether newer editions (2000, 2002) still
use the old method (B4 etc)? or do I need to look for an
older version in order to be able work in the
letter/number format. Any help would be much appreciated.

Joshua Sherwin

It's an option on all versions so get 2002 or wait for 2003
tools>options>r1c1

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Joshua Sherwin" <joshua_sherwin@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have a question about cell reference in newer editions
> of Excel. In older editions cell reference was denoted by
> a letter and a number e.g. B3, A5 etc. In a recent
> edition (I don't know which) I saw a format which
> displayed numbers on both the vertical and horizontal
> axes. Reference to a cell was made (I think) but
> subtracting the reference number from the cell to which
> it was refering. Does this make sense?
>
> My question is whether newer editions (2000, 2002) still
> use the old method (B4 etc)? or do I need to look for an
> older version in order to be able work in the
> letter/number format. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Joshua Sherwin

0
Don

Problems with creating a newsletter