cell protection to allow GROUP/UNGROUP function

2 asthetic questions for all you advanced Excel Users....

Q1.  is it possible to protect a worksheet, but still be able to us
the +GROUP & -UN GROUP buttons ? to expand / contract the viewe
ranges?

Q2. anyone know how to change the colour of the AUTO FILTER button - i
changes from black to dark blue when activated - i would like to hav
this with more contrast and so it jumps out at you ( and the othe
plebs in the office who keep forgetting)

Regards

David

David,

This may help a little.  If the monitor's brightness is set too low, and the
contrast set too high to compensate, dark colors like blue will turn darker.
Try reversing that.  A problem is that the controls may eventually work
their way back to the earlier "beer-hall TV settings."  (:

One good way to properly set the controls is to turn the contrast down a bit
low, raise the brightness until a grey background starts to appear, then
back it up up a tinch until it almost  or JUST disappears, and leave it
there.  Now adjust the contrast as desired.

Earl Kiosterud

"davidbrowne17" <davidbrowne17.wtumm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> 2 asthetic questions for all you advanced Excel Users....
>
> Q1.  is it possible to protect a worksheet, but still be able to use
> the +GROUP & -UN GROUP buttons ? to expand / contract the viewed
> ranges?
>
> Q2. anyone know how to change the colour of the AUTO FILTER button - it
> changes from black to dark blue when activated - i would like to have
> this with more contrast and so it jumps out at you ( and the other
> plebs in the office who keep forgetting)
>
> Regards
>
> David.

nowhere8060 (363)

Allow or Deny when a Program tries to send an email
I am trying to send a message through Outlook with a vb.net program. I receive a message saying that I can allow or deny this message. After a few of these messages, I started getting a different message that gave me a choice to ALWAYS allow messages to be sent from this program. I don't know what triggered the appearance of this send message. My problem is that I need to install my application on my user machines, does anyone know how to disable this allow or deny message OR trigger the send message which allows me select always allow? Thanks, What version of Out...

Wrapping text in a cell
In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz: Case One Case Two How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point? Thanks! If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each string to indicate where you want a line break to occur. Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two Alt + Enter -- Lilliabeth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476428 If you...

Algrebraic Functions
How would you solve a function with input 1 output 8. Then input 2 output 14. next input 3 output is blank then input is blank Output is 24. the input is blank and the out put is 28. Finally, the input is 6 and the output is blank. It occurred to me that if you assume the input blanks are 4 and 5, then you could use the Add Trendline option within Excel charts to show you what the potential functions could be. Try plotting x: 1, 2, (blank cell), 4, 5 against y: 8, 14, (blank cell), 24, 28 Use an x-y scatter chart and, when plotted, right click on a data point an...

Locking Formulas to Cells
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology but this is what want to do: I have placed formulas in multiple columns that calculat my sales numbers for a bid. The problem I am running into is that change the bids for every person and when I clear a cell is clears th formula from it as well. Is there a way for me to clear cells withou deleting the formula I have placed inside it? I know that I can jus grab the first cell in the column and drag it down to re-load th formula in that column but I don't want to have to do that. I want th formulas permenant and the data I enter...

Modification is not allowed becuse selection is locked.
Microsoft Word won't let me type anything because it says that modification is not allowed becuse selection is locked. What can I do about it? On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:56:01 -0700, OrangeCake <OrangeCake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft Word won't let me type anything because it says that modification >is not allowed becuse selection is locked. What can I do about it? If you have a trial version of Office (typically pre-installed on a new computer), it has expired and you'll have to buy a retail copy. Or, if you already have a licensed copy, ma...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

pivot table -repeating "months or days" after grouping
I have data that includes the month, day, hour, min. When I run th pivot table function to reduce the data to hourly I need the date t repeat in the date column. Example: 9/19/2002 0:00 2.7 9/19/2002 0:10 3.7 9/19/2002 0:20 3.8 9/19/2002 0:30 4.6 9/19/2002 0:40 4.8 9/19/2002 0:50 4.8 9/19/2002 1:00 5.6 9/19/2002 1:10 5.2 What I get when I group the Pivot table: Sep 19-Sep 12 AM 2.7 - - 1 AM 3.7 - - 2 AM 3.8 - - 3 AM 4.6 - - 4 AM 4.8 What I want is: Sep 19-Sep 12 AM 2.7 - 19-Sep 1 AM 3.7...

if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.
I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity. Then I have a summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month. Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual average for each entity, just one line per entity. My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A. I have a formula averaging the numbers from worksheet A. Jan-Mar is done. But the rest of the year hasn't happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!". I have already put in all the formulas for the year to be done with it. But I don'...

Changing Functional Currency #4
Try to change the functional currency to Z-CNY. ERROR = Activity for this currency already exist. Finance made 2 GL transactions. Can we remove the transactions (Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History) or (File >> Maintenance >> Clear Data ) then change the functional currency? Which tables should I remove history or clear data. Can someone on the board help us? regards, Once you process a transaction, you are stuck with the functional currency. I have not seen a table fix for this problem on the board. Consider creating a new database an...

Fill cells with interpolated values
Hi What is the easiest way to fill cells with linear interpolated values ? e.g. i have value 5 in cell A1, and value 15 in cell A6. Cells A2 ... A5 should now be filles with 7, 9, 11, 13. of course, it's not a big deal to write a formula for interpolation, but maybe there is more simple way, (just by some mouse clicks....?) Biff Select the range A1:A6 with your start and stop value in their respective cells, and then do Edit / Fill / Series / Trend / Linear -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

Extracting the month that a date refers to in another cell
In cell A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting). In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003. In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as "Sat" which is correct. In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan". Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? TIA, Alan =TEXT(A1,"mmm") for 3-letter month name and =TEXT(A1,"ddd") for 3-letter day name. where A1 houses a...

How to add a drop down menu to a cell
How to add a drop down menu to a cell? hi, you don't add it to a cell. It's a control in the toolbox and it sits on top of the sheet. Tools>customize>toolbar tab>select control toolbox. it's called a combo box. click it and drag it to the sheet. for more help on combo boxes, type combo box in help. >-----Original Message----- >How to add a drop down menu to a cell? >. > You can do it. Take a look at Data>Validation, see this site for full details http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing d...

T.Valko function
Morning. Back in January I'd posted looking for some help on a function, and T.Valko helped, solving my issue. In using the function, I've run across something I was not expecting, and need to now solve that. The original post was: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=Steve&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions&p=1&tid=487ddd9f-1b00-466c-ab5d-6f72a2f875a6&mid=487ddd9f-1b00-466c-ab5d-6f72a2f875a6 The problem that I've now recognized is that if there is a bla...

DPM hangs at consistency check after protected server was swapped
Last week, we swapped one of the servers protected by DPM 2007SP2 on Windows Server2003. We kept the same server name, same Raid configuration and transfered all the data. Manually re-install DPM on the new server. Remove and recreate protection group on DPM server. Keeps getting "Inconsistent replica" and when rerun, the "consistency check" job stucks at 67mb. There is new volume created in the replica folder in the DPM server. I manually moved all the files from old volume to the new volume folders. Rerun but still getting hung at "consistency c...

Day names in Calendar weekly view cells.
How does one display the days of the week, as well as the dates, in the title bars of the date cells in Weekly View of Outlook 2003 Calendar? It seems that an 'alternate calendar' of weekday names would do the trick if there's no simple setting that I've missed. Thanks, -- Michael H ...

Pivot Table Customize functions in the Data Field
Hi all, I want to find out if it is possible to create custom formulas in the data field of a pivot table. I need to to show: Fleets of vehicles. How many of a particular fleet a particular company has on hand. A percentage of how much of that companies fleet is not operational. If no maintinane is completed between Now() and the end of the reporting period, What the % of maintenance failure we will have for a fleet. I think the best way to accomplish this is a pivot table but the built in functions are not going to handle the calculations I need. -- Thanks, Patrick PS, Don't ...

protect from deleting
Hi all, I would like to know, how can i prevent a work book from other to deleting without my knowledge. i mean its just like a folder. thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ A workbook is just a file. Change its NTFS permissions. "nowfal >" <<nowfal.17cdkl@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:nowfal.17cdkl@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi all, > I would like to know, how can i prevent a work book from other > to deleting without my knowledge. i mean its just like a folder. ...

New Task Folders Don't Allow Assignment of Tasks?
I have created a new task folder, called MyTasks and whenever I try to assign a task to someone, Outlook seems to want it to be in the default "Tasks" folder, or it won't update when the asssigned task changes. Is this a limitation? -Greg Yes - that's the way it works. Why do you need another tasks folder? You might want to look into using categories - then you can have everything in one folder & set up filtered views if you like. Greg S wrote: > I have created a new task folder, called MyTasks and > whenever I try to assign a task to someone, Outlook seems &...

Is there a replacement of Excell Vlookup function in Access?
I am convirting excell spread sheet with formula's to Access database and I run into this question how to imitate Vlookup function in Excell. For example in my excell file that I am trying to convirt to access I have a value of "1" in cell A1 and column BL2 has a value of "1", column BM2 has a value of "1 to 4". My excell function populates cell A2=VLOOKUP(A1,BL2:BM2,2) It looks at the value of "1" and if it's within the range of "1 to 4" it puts "1 to 4" into cell A2. How do I do this in Access? Is there another way of...

Protecting Workbooks in Excel 2003
I cannot seem to protect a workbook in Excel 2003. I can protect Worksheets, but not workbooks. Do I have to protect all the worksheets in a workbook before protecting the workbook? Seems superfluous to me!! I don't know what I am doing wrong. I click on Tool, Protection, Protect workbook, but have not assigned a passwor. Even though I save the workbook, it can still be modified. Help please!!! Thanks by default, when you protect a workbook, the "Structure" of the workbook is protected. So, to easily test whether a workbook is already protected, try inserting new workshe...

Possible to have a block of cells not affected by sorts or cursor movements, etc.
I don't know what to call what I'm trying to do so will try to briefly explain. All these years, I've placed 1 static results cells in the header row so that freeze panes would always show them. So, the descriptive cell and "total" dollar or figure amounts for the sheet would be located in 2 cells in this frozen header. Needless to say, this is not ideal. It works because I'm forced to keep stats down to just showing a global total so only 2 cells affected. I lose so much valuable sheet real estate as it is for the one totals formula since the rows below these 2 ...