Cell Not working

I have office 2002, my windows is home xp.  Last week we had to reformat my xp, got a hold of a nasty worm!  I just use a chart to display numbers in series.  Now when I try it from an old sheet it inserts the number as a date?  I keep trying to change the cell to GENERAL, but it dosen't work.  Can't understand it.
0
anonymous (74722)

When you say you keep trying to re-format the cell as General, what
result do you get?
If I do it on a date cell (re-format) I get the date code (i.e. the
value of the date).
Ex. cells has "03-01-11", select cell and re-format to General = 37632.

--
Regards;
Rob

Please reply to the NG, I'm already up to my eyeballs in Nigerian/South
African get rich letters
as well as "Microsoft Critical Updates" et al.

0
NotLikely (282)
11/11/2003 7:05:41 PM
0
anonymous (74722)

Preventing Duplicate Entries Across Cells
Anyone know how to prevent duplicate entries of numbers. e.g. I have two sheets. I want to make sure that the same number is not entered more than once. Thank you. I think this might work- Have a countif funtion (of pair of for 2 sheets) that look a th current row and see if it has duplicate entries ie a b 1 1 =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$2,A1) - 1 2 2 =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$2,A2) - 1 (the minus one has been added so when a number exists only once it wil return 0. An if statement may also be need for if hte cell is blank.) Then add this behi...

hey ya'll how do i auto sum a cell using the letter x instaed of .
hey ya'll how do i auto sum a colum using the letter x instead of using a number To count number of "x"es =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"x") Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:25:04 -0700, jrod98 <jrod98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hey ya'll how do i auto sum a colum using the letter x instead of using a >number Gord answered but I couldn't resist asking what the sum of x and x is? Sinister Rod Serling music here. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "jrod98" <jrod98@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

paste text into a used cell
I need to move text from one row to a single cell that has been formatted to wrap text and repeat the process for other rows. Paste is not working. Please advise. When you copy and paste, you paste the format as well as the contents If you want to copy text to a cell that is formatted differently instead of paste, slelct paste special, values -- ElsiePO ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ElsiePOA's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=390 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26962 ...

How do I display html code within a cell?
I am importing data to a cell. The data is actually html code. I would like to display the data formatted. Right now I get all the ugly html codes, like <b> Hello World</>. Thanks - John You need to use Insert>Function and then select Hyperlink from the Lookup & Reference category. Randall Arnold "John-Raritan" wrote: > I am importing data to a cell. The data is actually html code. I would like > to display the data formatted. Right now I get all the ugly html codes, like > <b> Hello World</>. > > Thanks - John I think I...

How do I create a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)?
I want to create a WBS using Excel and roll up the effort points. Whoever helped you post this question, have them help you do a google search on "WBS Excel" "Brian 76" wrote: > I want to create a WBS using Excel and roll up the effort points. On Dec 4, 10:26=A0am, Brian 76 <Brian 7...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to create a WBS using Excel and roll up the effort points. Be sure you are using the WBS correctly! I cover using excel for this in my WBS Training at http://WBSCoach.com Josh Nankivel ...

#VALUE! error: vlookup works in Excel 2000 but not 2003
Hi, My client has a spreadsheet which works fine in Excel 2000 but when opened with Excel 2003 it populates the pages with #VALUE! and the best I can tell is that the problem is with the following formulas. Can anyone advise if they have seen this before. I am unable to post their file but this is the code that I think is a bit suspect. =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B14,'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\[Price List 040301.xls]Items'!$A:$M,11,FALSE))=TRUE,"",VLOOKUP(B14,'C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\[Price List 040301.xls]Items'!$A:$M,11,FALSE...

Changing individual characters in a cell to a different character
I am trying to write a bit of code that will look at a cell and covert what's in the cell to some sort of code. e.g. Hello Goodbye Yes No The above words are in different cells, and need converting to a different code, for example H is 1, e is 2, l is 3 and 0 is 4, so Hello would be 12334 The entries to the cells will be different, so I can't just do a select case and have Hello as one of them. Is there any way of doing a select case type statement, but for it to look at individual characters in a cell and cycle through until it's finished and then move onto the next c...

IE8 gives"stopped working" message when I close tabs
I've seen a lot of people complaining about this but no fixes. When I close an open explorer window, I get a message that IE has stopped working and it is searching for a fix, then a box to close the program. So far, I have reset all the defaults for IE8 and tried using IE without any add-ons. It works correctly without add-ons. The only changes to the computer in the last few days have been: download a driver scanner which installed the Ask add-on, updated something from Adobe, and the automatic Windows update ran. Any ideas where the problem came from? -- Win 7, IE8, Fu...

filling cells with info from other file (unique id)
I like to know if its possible to get information from an excelfile and put this in another excelfile using a unique id-number. When I fill a cell in A-column with for example 12345, I want excel (or vbamacro?) to look in another file (xls\txt, or?) for 12345 and transfer the rowvalues to the corresponding columns in the worksheet I started with. Can anyone put me in the right direction how to do this? Is it some standard functionallityu of excel or is it something I have to program? Thnx --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You could use a VLOOKUP formula to extract data...

Outlook URL no longer works ?
I have seen from various post that the outlook: protocol no longer works outside Outlook, because of security issues. Are there other ways of opening a mail item in a public folder using a URL ? Today we generate the link to the mail item on format Outlook:0000000031030 .. This is done using an event sink on the exchange server. The link is displayed to the person that will answer the mail on an internal web page. The link opens the mail item directly, using the outlook: protocol... meaning outside Outlook. If the above is no longer recommended, what is ? Is this possible to accomplis...

Data Validation / Cell Entry
Hi Is there a way I can force a user to make an entry in a cell without using macros/code? EG: If the result of cell A1 = "XYZ" can I force them to make an entry in cell B1. ( If cell A1 = "" then no entry is required in B1). Hope that makes sense. Thanks Steve This won't force the user, but it will make it obvious. Format C1 in nice bold red letters and put a formula in that cell like: =if(and(a1="",b1<>""),"Please clear B1",if(a1="xyz",b1=""), "please put something in B1","") (...

VBA selecting an input range of cells
Hi I have a small request for help with code. I need a simple macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select the range indicated in the popups. Can someone help? Grateful for any assistance Something like: Sub PickaRanage() Dim s1 As String, s2 As String, s3 As String s1 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter address of first cell", Type:=2) s2 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Enter address of last cell", Type:=2) Range(s1 & ":" & s2).Select End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 ...

Transferring Works files into Excel XP
My Dad upgraded recently to XP--all his previous files were in Works. Is there an easy conversion? I don't have the ability to "see" his computer, so trying to fix this issue remotely. TIA My Excel 2002 and Excel 2003 will open a Works XLR file. Why can't Dad do this? -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "homefry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093b01c42559$670626f0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > My Dad upgraded recently to XP--all his previous files > were in Works. Is there an easy ...

Assigning work to team 1 and team 2
Hi I need to allocate certain work to 2 teams, the only way I can think of doing this is by building a counter and then giving the even numbers to one team and the odd numbers to the other. Dim db As Database Dim rs As Recordset Set db = CurrentDb() Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("tblTeamCounter", dbOpenDynaset) rs.Edit rs!RepNum = rs!RepNum + 1 rs.Update rs.Close: Set rs = Nothing The above code gives me the counter how do I code it to lookup the REPNum and if it is even number then Me.Team1 = True Else Me.Team2 = True Or is there a better way of doing this?...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...

OL 97: Control-C, X, and V don't work in XP!
Only a genius will figure this one out ... Installed Outlook 97 in Windows XP, everything works fine -- but for some reason, the Copy/Cut/Paste shortcuts (ctrl-C, ctrl-X, ctrl-V) don't work in Calendar mode. When I use ctrl-X, the little scissor icon flashes, so SOMETHING's being sent to the clipboard, but ctrl-V does not paste anything. When I press Ctrl-C and try to copy an appointment to another day, a duplicate copy of the appointment appears on the same day of the first appointment! Please help! ...

if statement not working
Access 2003 code on forms oncurrent event... I want the below If DLookup is Admin then TitleMSP.Visible = True Label95.Visible = False Label97.Visible = True Label96.Visible = True If DLookup is Admin and Not IsNull(Me.TitleMSP) then TitleMSP.Visible = True Label95.Visible = False Label97.Visible = True Label96.Visible = True If DLookup is anything other than Admin then TitleMSP.Visible = False ContactUserID.Visible = False ContactStatus.Visible = False Label97.Visible = False ...

Trying to delete info in a cell
I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how to do this? Here's an example of my info: AABERG 0.000 83.839 38738 AADLAND 0.000 87.245 58868 AAGAARD 0.000 85.690 48524 I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated. ASAP Utilities, a free Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a built in feature that will strip out all numerical characters from a string. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "E2K3Tek" wrote: >...

Text Not Showing in Cell
I'm using excel to produce reports with almost all text. Some cells have a lot of words. Text Wrap is on. Row Height is set to AutoFit. Most cells show up just fine. Some have hidden words that run on under the next cell below. I have even encountered some cells that cut off right through the middle of the text. I can, of course, manually change the height of each row, but this report is over 200 lines long. Same problem happens when printed. Please help. Excel is not the greatest text editor. Have you considered doing the report in Word, using the Tables function? You co...

Project Center Access Not Working
Our Admins and PMs are getting the following message when they access the Project Center. "Project Center cannot access the project(s) you are trying to view. It is most likely that you either don't have permissions to view the project, another user has deleted this project(s) before you were able to view it or that another user is in the process of publishing the project" It works sometimes, but most of the time we get this message, we can get it to work if we keep refreshing or changing views that has less data to show. Does anyone has any idea on how to fix thi...

"Microsoft Office Outlook (2007 Office Pro) has stopped working"
Hello, I recently installed Office 2007 Professional on a laptop recently upgraded from Vista Home Premum to Windows 7 Home Premium on my Inspiron 1545. It worked fine for 2 weeks, and and suddenly came up wiht "Microsoft Ourlook has stopped working" The program downloads messages, and I can access settings, but as soon as you go to read a message or open one to send, it crashes. I have done the following: 1-Tried to repair the software, no problems found 2-Installed all updates 3-Repaired to original install 4-Deleted the Software and reinstalled a fresh copy 5...

Automatic changes in cell entries
How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on knowing better what I want for cell entries than I do? EG If I type AKs I want AKs not Aks... :mad: I have reviewed all the options in Tools|Options as well as other places to no avail. TIA tools-option-edit and the last item <enable autocomplete cell values> uncheck this doco <perdedor@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:#LhMjTA4EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on > knowing better what I want for cell entries than I ...

Smart Host not working
Hi All, I have a (seemingly) quite bizarre problem. Basically even though I've told Exchange Server 2000 to use a smart host for mail delivery (under the default SMTP server - Advanced Delivery tab), exchange insists on attempting to connect direct to the recipients MX server. I've done this before on dozens of Exchange 2000 servers and never seen this behaviour. Anyone have any idea what may stop Exchange 2000 server using a smart host ?? The FQDN is correct for the domain, and the attempt direct delivery box is not ticked. Graham. Hi Graham, Try using an smtp connector ins...

SMTP works intermittently after FE servers set as NLB pair
After setting two FE servers in an NLB pair (both with smtp previously working), some mail servers cannot open SMTP sockets to the FE NLB pair. IT seems to be only windows boxes odly enough. When i create the pair, OWA, OMA and Activesync work fine as does a telnet to port 25. However, some machines cannot telnet to port 25..all machines in question that have proven unable to access are running win2k or win2k3....sendmail and qmail can open a smtp session to the NLB pair just fine. ANy ideas? On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:12:02 -0700, knightly <knightly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Lock cell dimensions
After I have adjusted the row and column dimensions to just the way that I want them, can I lock them so that they will be the same next time it is loaded/opened? Thanks Brian Tozer "Brian Tozer" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:bs971s$vkb$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > After I have adjusted the row and column dimensions to just the way that I > want them, can I lock them so that they will be the same next time it is > loaded/opened? > > Thanks > Brian Tozer > > Why do you need to 'lock' them? When you close a workbook and open it again, ...