cell looses name after sorting

Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000:

in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the
values in these cells are used in other sheets.

the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the
original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So
Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other
sheets get messed up!

How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute?

thankx in advance,
Jim

---

"jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000:
>
> in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the
> values in these cells are used in other sheets.
>
> the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the
> original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So
> Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other
> sheets get messed up!
>
> How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute?
>
> thankx in advance,
> Jim

You should understand that sorting does not sort cells - it sorts data. The
cells remain fixed, whilst the data is moved into different cells to
accomplish the sort. Therefore, whether you reference cells with their cell
addresses or by name, after sorting the references will return different
data.

If that's not what you want, the simplest solution is not to sort! The
alternative is to write your referencing formulas so that they look up the
appropriate data, using functions such as MATCH, INDEX, VLOOKUP, etc.

0
Paul
1/19/2004 12:21:47 PM
Jim
As Paul stated, sorting moves the values not the cells.  You might be able to use one of these options

1)  Define the value directly, instead of in a cell.  If you want "Fred" to equal 24, then in Insert>Name>Define, enter Names in workbook: Fred and Refers to: =24

2)  Place the named cells in an area that isn't sorted, or on another worksheet, and then refer to the named cells in the list that you are sorting

Good Luck
Mark Graesse
mark_graesser@yahoo.co

     ----- jimfx > wrote: ----

     Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000

     in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, th
     values in these cells are used in other sheets.

     the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in th
     original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. S
     Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my othe
     sheets get messed up

     How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute

     thankx in advance
     Ji

anonymous (74722)
1/19/2004 3:16:10 PM
Thanks Paul, Mark,

I am going to focus on function VLOOKUP.

rgts,
Ji

Testing a range of cells in an IF FUNCTION
Trying to test a range of cells in an IF Function. I would like the function to look at 15 cells in a single row, find a value within those cells, and then return another value if TRUE/FALSE. As of now, I can only apply the "logical test" in the IF formula for ONE CELL ONLY. I would like it to test a RANGE of cells in one row, find if any of the values match my logical test, and then return a value. Anyone understand or know how to do this? I tried apply "lookup" function, but I don't think it will work Please help Aaro aaronplange at hotmail.com Hi maybe someth...

Multiple user names at one bank or brokerage
I have 3 accounts at one bank. I have 3 corresponding accounts set up in MS Money 2007. One of them is setup for online banking while the other two are not. I now want to set the other two up for online banking but I can't find a way to specify the unique login info for each of the other two accounts. ...

sort problems
Using Publisher 2000 and mail merge - large input excel files - sort sequence is crucial but does not hold. Doing a 20K pice mailing and addresses print out in basically no sequence at all - I've broken database down to 2000 names at a time - it will print 10 in sequence, skip 20, print 10 in sequence, skip 10 then eventually goes back and randomly picks up skipped addresses. I know the file is sorted going in. With mailings this big, this is a MAJOR problem. Anyone know what's happening here. How to solve? Help from Ed Bennett, MVP Adjust the Mail Merge Batch Size. There is ...

assign cell content as file name
I am attempting to create a macro that will save a workbook with the file name under which I save the workbook coming from the contents of one of the cells in the workbook. Suppose that each time the workbook was altered, a specific cell (A1 on Sheet1 for instance) contained the desired file name for that workbook. It is my goal to create a macro that automatically assigns said workbook a name based on the content of that cell. Any help would be most appreciated. Something like??? dim myFileName as string myfilename = "C:\temp\" & thisworkbook.worksheets("sheet1"...

Name Range with using Data Form
I first created a variable with A1:D1, four columns with named variable Data. How to expand this Data range to A1:D2 after using the DataForm to add one row data in the worksheet?? The same, the Data range should be A1:D3 when adding one more data row... million thanks Hi use the following formula in the name definition dialog =OFFSET($A$1:$D$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A)) >-----Original Message----- >I first created a variable with A1:D1, four columns with named variable >Data. How to expand this Data range to A1:D2 after using the DataForm to add >one row data in the worksheet?? The...

How to have combo list sorted
I have set the following data name: =OFFSET(Par!$D$2,0,0,COUNTA(Par!$D$2:$D$201)-COUNTBLANK(Par!$D$2:$D$201),1) How to get all data in the right onummeric order? It seems to be with offset($D$2,0,0,counta($D:$201),1).... likely looks like the upperformula I use. But the combo is not sorted when I use it. Bart You would have to sort the source data: Whatever's in this range Par!$D$2:$D$201 needs to be sorted. Biff "AA Arens" <bartvandongen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166147791.194106.272500@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have set the following data name...

spell check does not visually cycle through cells when run from macro?
I'm trying to recreate the same behavior in a macro that spellcheck has when the spellcheck button is pressed. The spellcheck does not cycle through the cells visually when run from a macro, so when there is a misspelled word, you cannot see the cell it is a part of. If anyone knows how I can get this behavior to work, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I did a record new macro, and got code similar to the following: Sub testSpelling() Range("F2:F500").Select Selection.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033 End Sub thanks, dan Dan, Add the fiollowing to your code as shown: ...

Formatting cells from internet
I have copied and pasted a chart from a website. (The website will not let me import) The cells are showing numbered values, but when i go to put the formula in it is giving me a zero like it cannot read the numbers in the cell. That is on 3 seperate columns. On the very last column it is reading the numbers I cannot make it recognize that those columns are numbers to be used in formulas Thanks for your help! Use Dave McRitchie's Trimall macro to clean up the data. Then copy an empty cell, select all your data and do Edit / PasteSpecial / Add and it will coerce all data back to nu...

displyaing the referenced cells ?
Hi everyone ! Working on an excel file full of references, it would be very useful to be able to make the display to jump directly to the cells referenced by the active cells I currently see. So if my cell TU789 reference the cell JI890, I don't want to search for JI 890, but would like excel to automatically show me this cell. Do you know if it is possible ? Is there a shortcut for that ? Thanks, JR. It would be difficult to do that generically, as the cell could contain a formula that references several other cells - which one should be chosen in this case? You might think about using ...

Reports and making it look prettier: Last Name, First Name Rank
I'm trying to pretty up my report by eliminating the forced space created by having one field of the report for 'LastName', one for 'FirstName', and one for 'Rank.' The Rank isn't too huge of an issue, and if three items in one field gets to be too much, I have no problem leaving that as a side item of sorts. But, I want my report to look a bit better by putting the names together! I want the report to go to my table, pull the LastName from that column, and pair it with the matching FirstName in the column to the right. (Since it's just...

can lookup return cell reference istead of "text" for sumif?
I am trying to use a lookup-function to determine a different sum range for several criteria. Like so: =Sumif($A$7:$A$1447;"<"&X3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false)-Sumif($A$7:$A $1447;"<"&y3;vlookup(e3;AT3:AU11;2;false) The problem is that the vlookup returns text and not the cell reference. Is there a way to get the answer from the lookup expressed as cell reference instead of text, since sumif can't use text, just the cell reference? I use it to calculate the number of hours the staff should be paid, so it's different from weekdays to saturdays, holidays...

Using cell text in a formula
I am trying to use derived cell references in a VLOOKUP formula to matc data in several tables. For example, A1 contains the cell reference fo the top left of my array (A3) whilst cell A2 contains the cel reference for the bottom right of my array (D14). The array I' checking against starts in column E3. However, when I use the formula =VLOOKUP(E3,A1:A2,4,FALSE) I get a #N/ error. I need to use the cell references in each VLOOKUP as the arra sizes may vary in each case. (PS, I've used =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(A1,A2) to derive the cell references. Ji -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

How do I get automatic completion to work for an in-cell dropdown
If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropdown, I'd like typing 'G' to auto-select Gamma. I'm pretty sure it was doing that at some point, but now, it does not. This isn't supported under data|validation. You could use A,B,G in the dropdown and then use a helper cell with a formula in it, though. Say you put your abbreviations in A1:A3 of sheet2 and the real names in B1:B3, then you could use: =if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)) Joseph Weisblatt wrote: > > If I have a list of Alpha, Beta, Gamma and an in-cell dropd...

Highlighting A Cell
Does anyone know how to do a formula that says if a cell equals the wor FALSE then highlight this particular cell gray? Example: Typing in Cell A2 IF A1 = FALSE then gray otherwise white I tried to do it in Conditioning Formatting but can't figure it out t reference another cell. Any help would be greatly appreciated -- Coltsfa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Coltsfan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1998 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46898 Good evening Colt...

Make a cell flash
Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BlinkingText.htm -- Gary's Student "Lloyd" wrote: > Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 see response in excel.misc -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08B5FB85-6AAB-4B7E-ABC1-8CC8E2B61466@microsoft.com... > Please help I to make cell b1 flash when it becomes greater than 5 Thanks for the link. I ...

Averaging cell's...problems with Div/0
Hi guys. First time poster here so be gentle with me. I am looking fo some assistance averaging a range of 1 to 3 numbers. Here is what I have so far. =(D3+F3+H3)/(IF(C3=0,0,1)+IF(E3=0,0,1)+IF(G3=0,0,1)) This works great. What it does is checks to see if there is a value i the cell, then counts it and divides by the right number. I.E if yo only have two values out of 3 filled in it divides the number by tw instead of 3. My problem... if all 3 fields are 0 then I get a divide by 0 error. Any suggestion on how to fix this? I don't want my spreadsheet to loo messy before I start plu...

Extracting Time from a cell that has both the date and the time
Hi Folks, I could do with some help here please. I am trying to extract the time only from a cell that has both the date and the time. Can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance. :confused: -- Hani Muhtadi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hani Muhtadi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26794 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=466177 If you just wish the time to display, set the cell format to Time. If you wish to use the time portion then =A1-Int(A1) will give you...

Calculating values for empty cells.
Hello. I have a very simple problem that I cannot find the answer to. I have data in two columns, some of the data in one of the columns is missing and I want to automatically extrapolate what the data should be based on the trend. How can I get Excel to fill in empty values without overwriting the known values. Below is a sample of my data. 1500 1600 1700 1800 4000 1887 5700 1900 5500 1910 7300 1912 8100 1920 8800 1926 10100 1930 11900 1936 12200 1938 -- Ryan Taylor rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com Not sure what yo...

How can I autofill a series to reference non adjacent cells?
I need to create a list of values by referencing a series of non adjacent cells (they are separated by a set number of rows each but in the same column). For example the cells should read something like =b2 =b4 =b6 =b8. Of course I could type these in individually but threre are something like 100 values. Is there a way to auto fill this? Look at the indirect function for your example =indirect("B"&(row()*2)) copied down a column will give you a list for non adjacencies. "Microcell" wrote: > I need to create a list of values by referencing a series of...

cannot view all of text in large cell, even though I have it to w.
I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. Hi +the limit is 1024 characters. You can extend this with manually inserting linebrekas using aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany sydme wrote: > I have cell format to wrap text and it works fine to a p[oint then no > more text is displayed....casn increase the size of the cell, but > still only so much will display....rest of the cell show blank. ...

access a cell in a range
I have variables: dim myrange as Range dim myString as String myrange specifies a specific column. How can I specify the cell in row 1 of myRange so I can set it's contents to myString? Hi there keyser soze, (Fan of the movie, eh? ;) <g> ) Like so .. myString = myRange(1).Value HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) <keyser_Soze@usa.com> wrote in message news:1128697509.320303.12550@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have variables: > > dim myrange as Range > dim myString as String > > myrange specifies a specific ...

How do you change a field name in 2002 Excel
I have copied and pasted a whole database from Works into the Excel program but can't seem to find a way to change the field names from A, B, C, to what I want as Last Names, First Names, etc. Aarrrrgh. It can't be THAT difficult! <G> Using the HELP did nothing for me thus I am here asking this silly Q. AnnE in MN You cannot change the Column letters from A, B, C etc. You can choose to have column and row headers not shown under Tools>Options>View Enter your titles(names) in row 1 then select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes to lock row 1 in view. Gord Di...

Moving from cell to cell
Moving from cell to cell using arrow key stopped working. Help! Maybe hit Scroll Lock key... If Scroll Lock is on, the arrows still work, but in a different way. HTH Regards, Howard "crys0814" <crys0814@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B985BCA-BFB8-4718-8ED8-833BE78D8895@microsoft.com... > Moving from cell to cell using arrow key stopped working. Help! Hi there cry0814, It is possible that you have accidentally pressed your scroll lock key which disables your arrow keys. Try pressing it again and let us know your results Regard...

Two different cells
I have a file with more the 1000 names and addresses. My proble is that the firat and last names are in 2 differents cells. I i would like to put it in teh same cell. Is there anyway I csn do that? Please help too many names to re-type Carlos Assuming that Column A contains the first name and Column B the last name... =A1&" "&B1 OR =B1&", "&A1 ....depending on your preference. Hope this helps! In article <520FA0CA-1940-42E5-B84D-22BA15D59638@microsoft.com>, "Hombreck" <Hombreck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a...

imbed excel cell text in a shape
I need to insert a number into a shape that corresponds to a cell in excel. Kinda like the exploded parts view in a car repair manual. A callout shape with a text value "123" that is linked to cell A1 in file ***.xls. It would be nice to be able to auto generate the callouts from the excel file. shape 123 is cell A1, shape 124 is cell A2 and so on. Thanks what version of visio are you running? al "mystified" <mystified@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:80B4E390-190A-41D9-AC4A-F96C1DA6FB6E@microsoft.com... >I need to insert a number into a s...