Cell Location

Does Excel have a way of highlighting whatever cell I am in.  Particularly
with spreadsheets with lots of data, it would be easier on my eyes if what
ever cell I am currently in is somehow highlighted and when I deselect it
goes back to normal.  It would be even better if the entire row and column
would highlight.  Please let me know if this is a function that is available
on Excel.  thanks
0
Richard853 (481)

there are several good sugestions at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm#HighlightActiveCell

"Richard" wrote:

> Does Excel have a way of highlighting whatever cell I am in.  Particularly
> with spreadsheets with lots of data, it would be easier on my eyes if what
> ever cell I am currently in is somehow highlighted and when I deselect it
> goes back to normal.  It would be even better if the entire row and column
> would highlight.  Please let me know if this is a function that is available
> on Excel.  thanks
0
BJ (832)
8/31/2005 7:28:08 PM
hi,
try this but be warned. it will slow things down a little. this code runs
when ever you change cells. this is a worksheets change event so put the code
in the worksheet that you want to use it on.

   Dim rng As Range
   Dim rng2 As Range

   Set rng = Range("A1:S1") 'set the title row. expand or decrease if needed
   Set rng2 = Range("T1:IV1")  'sets row not part of title

  Range("A2:IV5000").Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
   'expand the above range if you need to
 Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36 ' colors row yellow
  rng.Interior.ColorIndex = 15                     'colors title row gray
  rng2.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone              'no color for non title row
section
  Range("T2:IV5000").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone 'clears color from non
data cells

End Sub

regards
FSt1
"Richard" wrote:

> Does Excel have a way of highlighting whatever cell I am in.  Particularly
> with spreadsheets with lots of data, it would be easier on my eyes if what
> ever cell I am currently in is somehow highlighted and when I deselect it
> goes back to normal.  It would be even better if the entire row and column
> would highlight.  Please let me know if this is a function that is available
> on Excel.  thanks
0
FSt1 (238)

formatting cells for radar graph
Is there a way to format cells so that when you type in a whole number, it is converted to a decimal? (EX: If I type in 150, I want the cell to format this whole number as .150) I have a radar graph that I have set up to graph product thickness, when the thickness is less than a whole number. Thanks Hi Debbie, Yes: use Tools|Options and open Edit tab; locate Fixed Decimals and set it to 3 However, I think this is "global" and will apply to all workbooks you subsequently open; so do remember to set it off. Alternative: enter the three digit numbers; type 1000 in an empty ce...

Too many cell formats #3
I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close to that. Is there a report or a third party app that would let me check my sheets fo this information? Thanks and Happy Holidays. I'm having difficulty understanding why there would be so many cell formats? What purpose does this serve? "Adrian" wrote: > I am wondering if there is any way for me to find out how many cell formats > I am using. I know the linit is 4000 and I hve a user that uses very close > to th...

my formated column is displaying one cell incorrectly
I have a spreadsheet with 4 columns; the 4th columns is a formula going across the 3 columns a+b-c = d with d preferably equally zero. When I format column d almost all of the columns that equal zero display as a dash (preference). However periodically one or two of the rows will display as 0.00 and I can't seem to get the formatting to change to the dash. I have tried to reformat all columns all other cells and to no avail. Has anyone else run into this issue and if so how have u solved it. The only way I can solve it is to actually put a zero in the cell. If the numb...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

Format Cells Custom Forumula?
How do I interpret (#,##0_);[Red](#,##0) or other similar formulas so I can figure out what is wrong or create a new one for a specific situation? I looked throughout help but couldn't find anything. I know this one rounds the value of the formula and spaces it so if it is a negagive it doesn't mess up the spacing on the page, but I don't know how to read the actual formula to determine what does what. Thanks, Mike See "About custom number formats" in XL Help. In article <F2FEC468-63AE-4F9C-BE97-ED44A6D5CDED@microsoft.com>, Mike King <Mike King@discussi...

Referencing a Range of Cells
Hi all, I have named a range of cells on one worksheet, say I called (A1:B10) as "My_Range" on "WorkSheet_1". And then I got another worksheet which want to copy the same value on another worksheet "WorkSheet_2" using the name as a reference. How could I do this? Also, could I specify a particular value inside the named range? For example how could I display the B3 cell in "My_Range"? Thanks for your help. Derek C hi. not sure why you would want to do it this way but try this Sub macSetRange() Dim rng As Range 'range to copy Dim rng1 As...

Code to read a cell from every workbook in a folder
Any Ideas about what code would read the formula in cell c3 of ever workbook in a folder and give an array of the workbook names and th formula??? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Something like this? Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myFiles() As String Dim fCtr As Long Dim myFile As String Dim myPath As String Dim tempWkbk As Workbook Dim wks As Worksheet Dim oRow As Long Dim logWks As Worksheet Dim myAddr As String myAddr = "C3" 'change to point at the folder to check myPath = "...

format cell
How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] follow by [/] follow by [number] and display as number - number I.e key in 3/4, appear as 3 - 4 Not by formatting alone. You could format the cell as text (not general, not a date) and use the adjacent cell to return the string the way you want to see it: =substitute(a1,"/"," - ") After you do all your data entry, you could hide the original column or even convert the formula column to values and delete the original column. crapit wrote: > > How to set a cell so that when I key in [number] fol...

Can you change only one cell size in a workbook?
No. You can change the width of a column, or the height of a row. And next time, please remember to ask the question in the body of the message, not just in the subject line. And if this is related to charting, it is not clear how. Was this intended for one of the other Excel groups? -- David Biddulph "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A4504F7-4FA9-44C4-A79C-5E67A9E8C169@microsoft.com... > ...

Clearing Cells
Hi I'm using an Excel sheet for pricing items customers purchase. In A2 I could enter any of 4 prices e.g. £30 , £15, £10, £5 In B2, C2, D2, E2, I have entered the following formula =IF(A2=Rate_30,A2,0) It follows that B2 shows £30 and C2,D2,E2 show 0.00 that works ok the problem is with 200 rows its a lot of zero's is it possible to add to the formula something that clears all the zero's so that the columns are easier to read. This sheet is used on a daily basis so the customer could call in tomorrow and buy something at £15 the £30 would c...

a macro to copy only 2 lines w/i a cell separated by 4 line breaks
Can anyone help me determine how to copy only 2 specific lines from a cell that contains text in 4 lines that is separated using the line break function? Which two lines? You may be better off parsing into 4 cells then picking the two you want Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:31:01 -0700, poltpar <poltpar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can anyone help me determine how to copy only 2 specific lines from a cell >that contains text in 4 lines that is separated using the line break function? ...

set excel cell value
i'm no expert at vba and have been having a hard time trying to send a value from an open access form to a specific cell in excel. I've been writing a module in Ac2000 that opens excel, names the sheet, and sends some Access table data over. Thanks to Bob Larsons code I was able to do most of this. After a week of trial and error i'm now also able to format the sheet the way it needs to be, plus some conditional formatting that seems to be working out great- now i'm very badly stuck on trying to send a value from an open access form to a particular cell in the shee...

is it possible to change print ink color based on cell value?
Is it possible to change print ink color based on value in a cell for a spreadsheet application? Example: If a cell's value is over 250, can I have it print the number in red ink to draw my attention to it?? You can use Conditional Formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) to test the value and set the font colour accordingly. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave The Mechanic" <Dave The Mechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B63AB99-5824-4AFB-A206-D4CDF1BB9D48@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to chang...

custom a cell
How do make that when I enter 1234 its should come out 12.3 -- shlom ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shlomo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1530 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=34680 Format > Cell > Number > change decimal and symbol -- Cissy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cissy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....

Locate Physical Drive Signature and it associated Logical Drive Na
Hi I can determine physical disk signatures by : gwmi Win32_DiskDrive | Foreach-Object { $_.Signature } I can determine logical drives by : gwmi Win32_LogicalDisk | Foreach-Object { $_.DeviceID } But I'm not able to get my head around WMI ASSOCIATIVE CLASSES. How do I associate these classes so that for each PHYSICAL drive I can easily list it's signature and logical drive names? I have this vbscript but cannot convert it :( (I need alot more powershell practise) wscript.echo "Disk Drive Signatures" wscript.echo "====================="...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

Moving cursor to another cell w/out selecting entire area
PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Darin" <Darin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:525460EF-810C-4599-A841-2940CB8E0471@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your reply in the body of the post and NOT in the subject line. Have a look here: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems and Management Accounting www.gbpcomputing.co.uk "Ragdyer&qu...

Count Consecutive Cells #2
I have a simple need: I have one column of data containing either an O or a U. Is there a way I can ask EXCEL to tell me how many times the O appeared in 2 consecutive cells, 3 consecutive cells... etc. Say I am using collumn A for this A 1 O 2 O 3 O 4 U 5 U 6 O 7 U 8 U 9 U 10 U Try the following... B1, copied down: =SUM(--(COUNTIF(OFFSET($A$1:$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$10)-MIN(ROW($A$1:$A$10)),0, ROWS($B$1:B1)+1),"O")=ROWS($B$1:B1)+1)) ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. Note that the result displayed in B1 will tell you how many times 'O' appe...

Ranking cells largest to smallest
I've got a large amount of data that I've sorted with a pivot table. I need to order the data within each column of the pivot table (outside of the pivot table). Example: Frequency A 6 B 7 C 6 D 5 E 4 Obviously, the largest number in the frequency column is 7 and obviously, the next largest number is 6. What I'm trying to do is to get Excel to list the results by row heading (i.e., B is the largest, A is the next largest, C is the next largest, etc.) even when there is a duplicate number. I've been using the =large() function to no avail (it gives me a value of 6 fo...

How do I copy data (word) into respective cells when the data bei.
I have word data in 2 or more collums (not cells). When I copy and paste that data into a cell (word or excel) all that data goes into one cell. How do I get the data into the respective cells without going back and cut from one cell to another? Hi one method that i've used before to do this may work for you, in Word, select the columns then click on the INSERT TABLE icon on the toolbar - if you're lucky the columns will convert to two tables side by side then select the left hand side table (it might also select the right it doesn't matter) then click on the split cells ico...

How can I change the color of the cell when someone enter any number or character?
Hi... =) I am trying to build a templete with a list of questions where the users will answer YES or NO. Please help me to change the color of the cell to Green if they answer yes, and Red if they answer no. Thank you, Sajan Look at conditional formatting in help. -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Saz" <Sajan.sajan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1187012731.422148.93690@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi... =) I am trying to build a templete with a list of questions > where the users will answer YES or ...

Behavior of text in cells.....
Normally, when entering text into a cell in a worksheet, the text will flow into the adjoining cell (to the right) and continue until it runs into a non-empty cell. I have created a form whereby I have merged cells in order to create the necessary layout. There is a large area (block) in the form where the cells are (unprotected) so the user can insert a graphic or reformat text sizes as necessary. The problem... when text is entered into one of the merged cells in the unprotected area of the form, the text is disappearing and not flowing to the right. It seems to be stop...

Detecting blank cells
I am trying to write a routine that scans a column from the top row to the last NON-BLANK row in that column. I would then know at which row I should stop during by subsequent manipulation of the data in the column of interest. I have been unable to find a way to test to see if a cell is blank. Is there a standard 'marker' (i.e. property of a cell) which can be tested on the cell to determine if it is devoid of any data (i.e. blank?) Many Thanks John if range("A1").value="" "John" <yokobethcoyote@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:129b10...

if statement, change cell only if true
I know there has to be a simple solution, but I can't find it Sheet1 has values in column A. Col A is formatted as text and contains either an ID 'number' or the words NOTES Sheet2 cells are linked to the cells in Sheet1. If an ID in Sheet1 is changed, then Sheet2 cell needs to change, but if Sheet1 cell changes to the word NOTES, then Sheet2 needs to retain the original ID. For example Sheet1, Col A Sheet2, Col A Row 2 1234 1234 Row 3 5678 5678 Row 4 9999 ...

how do you count cells with a time criteria??
I need to get a count of cells in a column based off of a time criteria. The colum is a in "TIME" format ( 8:00 AM, 12:00 PM, etc). I need to get a count of cells that are between 8:00 AM and 12 PM . . what formula would I use?? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi ..., =countif(A2:A20,">=08:00")-countif(A2:A20,">12:00") if you want it under row 20 you can use A21: =countif(A$2:OFFSET(A21,-1,0),">=08:0...