Cell Formats in formulas

I have a worksheet set up with formulas to automatically copy values from
another cell as it is changed. Is there a way to include the format of the
reference cell (font, color) when referencing it in a formula. Example: when
I change to a different symbol font in the referenced cell, the referencing
cells only change the value, not the font, so I don't end up with the correct
symbols in the referencing cell.
0
Lewis (18)

No, it's not possible to do that using formulas, only format formulas can do
are number formats and only using the text function

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"C. Lewis" wrote:

> I have a worksheet set up with formulas to automatically copy values from
> another cell as it is changed. Is there a way to include the format of the
> reference cell (font, color) when referencing it in a formula. Example: when
> I change to a different symbol font in the referenced cell, the referencing
> cells only change the value, not the font, so I don't end up with the correct
> symbols in the referencing cell.
0
PeoSjoblom (789)

transfer inbox in table format to word
In my older version I could cut and paste the table format in Outlook to a word file. Now I don't seem to be able to do it although I can print the file in that format within Outlook. When I export the inbox to word I get the whole text not just the headings. Is it possible to transfer the table format to a word file? ...

Formulas not updating ?
I have a problem with my spreadsheet under Excel XP. The problem has to do with cell references not updating when a row is inserted into the worksheet. The formulas in the cells are relatively simple: =B13 and =DATE(YEAR(B10),MONTH(B10),DAY(B10)+7) I can copy a row and insert it elsewhere or just insert a blank row and the cell references in rows below are not updated in all cases. It seems that rows that are separated from the inserted rows by a blank row are updated. Is this a known issue or does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? The spreadsheet is intended to p...

Wrapping text in a cell
In a single cell, suppose I want text to appear on two lines. Viz: Case One Case Two How do I do that so that I specify the wrap point? Thanks! If you are typing the data into the cell use Alt-Enter between each string to indicate where you want a line break to occur. Case One<Alt-Enter>Case Two Alt + Enter -- Lilliabeth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lilliabeth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27741 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476428 If you...

Locking Formulas to Cells
I don't know if I am using the correct terminology but this is what want to do: I have placed formulas in multiple columns that calculat my sales numbers for a bid. The problem I am running into is that change the bids for every person and when I clear a cell is clears th formula from it as well. Is there a way for me to clear cells withou deleting the formula I have placed inside it? I know that I can jus grab the first cell in the column and drag it down to re-load th formula in that column but I don't want to have to do that. I want th formulas permenant and the data I enter...

How do I add a hyperlink to an individual word in an Excel cell?
I am using Excel 2000 (not by choice) and I need to add a hyperlink to an individual word within the cell, not the whole cell itself. For example in the sentence "Click here or here to go to the appropriate web page." I want the words "here" to each have a separate hyperlink. Any ideas? I can manage some VBA too if necessary. Thanks, Rosalie Hi Rosalie, You can't do that in Excel. You would have to use HTML or Word or some other means. You could fake it, the entire cell would be a link, but you could after assigning the hyperlink select another...

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Cell Selection?
I have a colum of numbers 198 0 0 198 2 What I need, is to be able to select 3. the 198's are not going to be used in the next part of my equation. That seems simple enough, however all the numbers could be usable (not 198) and I need to use just the first three. Any ideas? One interp / way, using non-array formulas Assuming source numbers in A1 down Put In B1: =IF(COUNT($C$1:C1)>3,"",C1) In C1: =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1))),"", INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(D:D,ROW(A1)),D:D,0))) In D1: =IF(A1="","",IF(A1=198,"",ROW())) Select B1:D...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #2
nope, the cells are formatted as numbers. I simply cannot figure thi out. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27423 Being formatted as numbers doesn't automatically mean they are numbers. Copy an empty cell formatted to General. Select your range of numbers and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:59:46 -0600, kalik247 <kalik2...

Changing Titles by a formula
From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to another sheet. I only need to change the office and date per each title. Is thier a way to do that making the office and date a formula in another cell? example of title ABC Comp, Office 38L Sales as of 6/07/2004 I need to only keep changeing the 38L and date. Any suggestions----Thanks Say Office # is in Column 'C' in cell A1: ="ABC Comp, Office "&C1&" Sales as of "&Today() ----- Heather wrote: ----- From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to ...

Date Range Formula Question
Hello, I'm having trouble with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help. :confused: Sample Data Includes the following: Pay Period Start Pay Period End Pay Period # 12/16/01 12/29/01 26 12/30/01 01/12/02 25 01/13/01 01/26/02 24 01/27/02 02/09/02 23 02/10/02 02/23/02 22 The pay periods continue until there are 26 pay periods for the entire year....

Question Regarding Excel 2007 Formatting Corruption

sorting formulas
Hi, Ive made a spreadsheet which all the cells accept titles contain look up formula's. I want to be able to do sorts on the columns but it doesnt seem to work. I think its because excel recognises the content of the cells as a formula, but i want it just to see the result of the look up and sort that. Is there anyway to solve this problem? Thanks to all who help. Matt -- m4tt ------------------------------------------------------------------------ m4tt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25835 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/s...

if cell in other worksheet meets criteria, then leave blank.
I have data in worksheet A for each month, for each entity. Then I have a summary page which shows just the averages for each entity for each month. Then I need to create a master summary page which shows just the annual average for each entity, just one line per entity. My Summary page shows Jan-Dec in column A. I have a formula averaging the numbers from worksheet A. Jan-Mar is done. But the rest of the year hasn't happened yet, so April's formula results "#DIV/0!". I have already put in all the formulas for the year to be done with it. But I don'...

need to make a formula that would add a field value to current dat
I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is (How Many Days). Now I need to a assign a default value, or expression (not sure which way to go about this) that will take the date value for (Date) and add the value (How Many Days) I figured that the formula should read =sum([Date]+[How Many Days]) But that is not giving me any results, thanx for your help in advance =DateDiff("d", Date(), [How Many Days]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "J Man" wrote: > I have made a form in which I input different values. On of the values is ...

Export Format not avaiable
"The Format in which you are attempting to output the currentobject is not available." I hate access sometimes. It just get's weird, throwing bogus error messages all over the place. I have about 30 seperate queries that I run out to spreadsheets via macro. I have already found out that things can get all screwed up, (meaning it bombs) when those spreadsheets already exist, so the first thing I do is delete the existing spreadsheets, then let them rip. I run into this every once in a while: 20 or so queries into my macro, a query will fail with the above er...

Fill cells with interpolated values
Hi What is the easiest way to fill cells with linear interpolated values ? e.g. i have value 5 in cell A1, and value 15 in cell A6. Cells A2 ... A5 should now be filles with 7, 9, 11, 13. of course, it's not a big deal to write a formula for interpolation, but maybe there is more simple way, (just by some mouse clicks....?) Biff Select the range A1:A6 with your start and stop value in their respective cells, and then do Edit / Fill / Series / Trend / Linear -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

xy scatter format
Hi Hope someone can help. I have a chart i want to make look a little more professional. The chart plots three points within two boxes. the points should be inside the box box 1 has the following coordinates x y 15 70000 15 115000 21.5 155800 30 155800 30 115000 25 70000 15 70000 the chart scale is x 14-32 & y 60000-160000 I would like to make the plot area outside the box black to indicate the no go area. Is this possible? Then to take it further there should be a further smaller box (coordinates unimportant) inside the 1st box to indicate a warning. I would like the plot area ...

Extracting the month that a date refers to in another cell
In cell A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting). In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003. In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as "Sat" which is correct. In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan". Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? TIA, Alan =TEXT(A1,"mmm") for 3-letter month name and =TEXT(A1,"ddd") for 3-letter day name. where A1 houses a...

How to add a drop down menu to a cell
How to add a drop down menu to a cell? hi, you don't add it to a cell. It's a control in the toolbox and it sits on top of the sheet. Tools>customize>toolbar tab>select control toolbox. it's called a combo box. click it and drag it to the sheet. for more help on combo boxes, type combo box in help. >-----Original Message----- >How to add a drop down menu to a cell? >. > You can do it. Take a look at Data>Validation, see this site for full details http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing d...

condional formating count question
Hi, I have a row in which I have a condition that if two numbers are identical its formating the 2nd number in Red Font, Is there a way or formula that I can use to count these red font Numbers? Thanks in advance for you help, It is best to use the same means in a formula that you used to make the font RED in the first place rather than trying to use a function to check the color of a cell. You can take a look at Chip Pearson's page, Functions For Working With Cell Colors http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm for counting cells in a range with involving normal cell coloring for ...

Show formula result in another sheet
sheet1 A:A contains a formula with some cells returning a value sheet2 A:A references sheet1 A:A with a simple formula: =sheet1!A1 above formula filled down in sheet2 A:A the problem is it is not showing the results from sheet1 anyone know why that should be? Sorry false alarm, I had calculation set to manual. Results are coming back as they should. Red faces all round. "Gotroots" wrote: > sheet1 A:A contains a formula with some cells returning a value > > sheet2 A:A references sheet1 A:A with a simple formula: > > =sheet1!A1 > ...

Day names in Calendar weekly view cells.
How does one display the days of the week, as well as the dates, in the title bars of the date cells in Weekly View of Outlook 2003 Calendar? It seems that an 'alternate calendar' of weekday names would do the trick if there's no simple setting that I've missed. Thanks, -- Michael H ...

Possible to have a block of cells not affected by sorts or cursor movements, etc.
I don't know what to call what I'm trying to do so will try to briefly explain. All these years, I've placed 1 static results cells in the header row so that freeze panes would always show them. So, the descriptive cell and "total" dollar or figure amounts for the sheet would be located in 2 cells in this frozen header. Needless to say, this is not ideal. It works because I'm forced to keep stats down to just showing a global total so only 2 cells affected. I lose so much valuable sheet real estate as it is for the one totals formula since the rows below these 2 ...

Chart formatting with dates
I made a chart that has dates on the x-axis. The dates are not in consecutive order (ie Jan 5, Feb 8, etc). Excel defaults the axis format such that the dates fall in consecutive order and thus, makes my plot uneven. How do I format so that the exact dates I've entered into the cells show up on the x axis without adding any extra dates? Thanks Paula -- paulabrozek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ paulabrozek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30377 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread....