Cell formats #3

Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will
display a negative number within parenthesis rather than
the entered value preceeded by a minus sign?

e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500"

Required display "(1500)"

Regards
Steve
0
anonymous (74722)

Steve,

Yes.  Format - Cells - Number.  In Category, choose Number or Currency, and
you'll have a box to choose the display format of negative numbers.  For
more control, see Custom.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will
> display a negative number within parenthesis rather than
> the entered value preceeded by a minus sign?
>
> e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500"
>
> Required display "(1500)"
>
> Regards
> Steve

0
nowhere1083 (630)

OS X 10.3.3 & Office 98 partial launches
I transferred Office 98 folders from my old G4 OS9.2.2 system to a G5 10.3.3. Most of my OS 9 apps, including very old and recent ones, load and work properly. However each app in Office [Word, Excel, PP] load partially: PP actually gives me the OPen new project dialogue, Excel and Word only get to the splash screen, and then they crash. Alerts have popped up during some of the partial launches saying that ATM can't do this or that. So presumably this has something to do with fonts. If so what fonts does MS Office need, etc. Can anyone help me with details or suggest a line of trial an...

Cells formatted for general and text show scientific format
I am working on an Amazon.com shipping confirmation upload. The workbook is downloaded from amazon.com. When I enter the Order Item ID number which is 14 characters, it displays in scientific format. I have tried general, number and text formats. Number format works if there is no leading zero but general and text do not. - Are you formatting the column for Order Item ID number before entering the data? That should solve the problem. - If you are formatting after entering the data, selecting F2 (Edit) in a cell will then put that cell into the correct text format (except for leedi...

Excel Formatted Spreadsheet To SQL ?
Hello, Is there any reasonably straightforward way to convert an Excel spreadsheet, or part of one, to a format that SQL would accept ? Thanks, Bob Usually the method that works is to save the worksheet in CSV format. Then import the CSV format into your database. Access will import CSV and so wil a number of other databases. -- joel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=196450 http://www.the...

"On Behalf Of" #3
Anyone know how to remove the "on behalf of" from in front of the sender's name when a delegate sends for that person. You need to remove the "send on behalf of" rights (which you set in Outlook) and have the Exchange admin grant "Send As" rights on the server. Sean Moylan wrote: > Anyone know how to remove the "on behalf of" from in front of the > sender's name when a delegate sends for that person. Sean No I dont, but I want to know how to switch it on, because when my delegate sends mail from me, it doesnt appear, any ideas? ...

Multiplying the number in one cell and providing the product in an
I've never set up a formula before, not even the most basic. I need help and I'm not sure if its entirely possible. Please let me know. Labor Hours Labor Cost (95/hr) 2 190 5 950 I need to be able to enter in the number of hours in one cell (under labor hrs) and have those hours multiplied by the cost ($95) and the product displayed in the cooresponding cell (under labor cost). Is this possible? If so, how? EXCEL 2007 1. In cell A2 I have put your 2 (your hours figure). 2. In cell B2 I have put ...

Money 2007 -- QIF import
Good Evening! After a little trial and error, I am able to import account transactions from another system (not a bank statement, my actual register transactions) with little trouble except for the date format. (Before someone gets mad at me, I really don't think this has anything to do with my regional settings!) As recommended by an MVP from this forum, I open my CSV file with excel, then use a converter (add-in) called XL2QIF to create a qif output file. The actual "data" in a date field in my original csv file is "060106" (mm/dd/yy) which is June 1, 2006,...

series of cells in a column #2
thanhyou so vey much -- ROLG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ROLG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16066 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275347 ...

VPN keeps dropping at the 3 minute mark
Hi, Our main office runs SBS 2003 R2 and the standard VPN server. All our remote offices, except one, have no issue with connecting to the VPN and everything works fine. The one office which does have an issue manages to connect but then after approx 3 minutes the connection drops and they have to reconnect. As you can imagine this becomes very frustrating and means that accessing files on the network becomes virtually impossible. I've tried using my own machine on their network and I experience the same problem as they do, so I know it's not related to their computer. ...

Combine the contents of two cells.
I want to copy the contents of a cell and insert it at the beginning of the text of another cell: ie I want to combine the text contained in two cells into one cell. I can do it manually but would like to use a macro as I have a lot of cutting and inserting to do!! I use Office 2000. Hi! Assume you want to combine cells A1:A100 with cells B1:B100. In cell C1 enter this formula: =A1&B1 If you want a space between values: =A1&" "&B1 Drag copy down to C100 or just double click the fill handle. Now, if you no longer need the data in columns A and B select C1:C10...

Count of cells since first purchase
Hi, Looking for a bit of help with the below. I want to calculate how many weeks have passed since a customer first purchased from me. So for example see below. I want to calculate in cell E2 how many weeks have passed since Account 1 first purchased from me. In cell E3 i want to calculate how many weeks it is since Account 2 first purchased from me. Week 3 April Week 4 April Week 1 May 10 Account 1 2 3 Account 2 1 Account 3 ...

Cells that "appear" empty plot as zero. Do not want cells to plot.
I read thru some of the posts about plotting empty cells and can't seem to find the right answer to my problem. I have a bar chart (Jan thru Dec) which I currently show data running through June. All cells contain the same formula (therefore none are "really" empty). My formula uses the " " to make the cells for July thru Dec "appear" empty, therefore the graph is plotting these cells as zero. I know that I could use 'NA()' and force a #NA error, but I don't want that error message to appear in my cells. Is there a way to not get the ...

list boxes #3
Want to set a drop down box that does not repeat the same value despite that value appearing in the list more than once. Then once a selection is made from the 1st drop down list, the second drop down box selection criteria changes. ie. table a follows: list 1 list2 commodities oil commodities plastics FX options FX spot FX longcall 1st list would have 2 options: commodities, FX - not repeated. User selects "commodities". Then 2nd drop down list automatically ch...

How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell?
How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This works to set the value in the cell the formula is in, say cell A1. I would like to have this formula reside in cell A1 but set the value in cell A2 to (G8,0). Also it would be helpful if I could lock cell A2 based on a False condition from this formula in cell A1. Thanks Gary I note that this entry is also asked and answered in Programming. dingy101 Wrote: > How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? > > > =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This w...

In-cell progress bars?
Is there a way to have an Excel (2003) cell display a percentage result from a calculation as a shaded percentage of a cell instead of returning a result? It seems like that sort of thing should be in Format Cells... > Shading, but there's nothing there. This is possible to set up in an HTML cell by including a 1-pixel-wide graphic then changing the width attribute of the img tag. Is there anything similar in Excel? Thanks, -j One way you could do this is by means of this formula: =REPT("|",100*A1) if you have a percentage in A1 - it will repeat the pipe character once fo...

Conditional Formatting with Text
Hei gurus, How can I tell CF to turn a cell green if the cells contain text "great" and red if the cells contain "unacceptable??" TX a great deal cell value>="great">format>patterns (choose green) add cell value>="great">format>patterns (choose red) >-----Original Message----- >Hei gurus, > >How can I tell CF to turn a cell green if the cells >contain text "great" and red if the cells >contain "unacceptable??" > >TX a great deal >. > Select the range of cells Format > Co...

Locking Cells #6
Is there any way to lock cells in excel so that no body can overwrite it, specially cells containing formulas. TIA Try the instructions here: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cell_locking_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "newbie" <jcd@refid.com> wrote in message news:O0DJJeihFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to lock cells in excel so that no body can overwrite it, > specially cells containing formulas. > TIA > > ...

change format of existing numbers
I have a worksheet with thousands of phone numbers on it, but not formatted as phone numbers. If I change the existing numbers' cell format to a custom ###-###-#### format, it won't format the numbers this way unless I double click in each cell (cell content edit mode) and press enter. Unlike regular number formats, it seems as though excel won't convert existing data to my custom format unless: -Cell is formatted and THEN number is entered -If cell has existing number, I must click INTO the cell (editing mode) Please help! much thanks mari Let me add to my ques...

How can I data sort to more than 3 levels
Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me do a data sort in Excel to 4 or more levels at once. Currently you can only do 3 levels, and then you have to separate the data to do more. Thanks for any help -- Pam LaDue ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pam LaDue's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36773 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=564880 You have replies at your other post. Pam LaDue wrote: > > Is there a technique or add-in utility that will let me d...

How attach a file in one cell
I'd like to know if it'll be possible attach a file (word, pdf...) in one cell. I'm doing an Excel doc. and I need to put some instructions by doc. attached. in some cells. Thanks! In article <A23394A2-B804-4855-875A-7664B90F4F48@microsoft.com>, How attach a file in the cell <How attach a file in the cell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to know if it'll be possible attach a file (word, pdf...) in one > cell. I'm doing an Excel doc. and I need to put some instructions by doc. > attached. in some cells. Thanks! Cells can contain...

Stuck in outbox #3
whenever i send an email outside of outlook (whether it be from internet explorer or forwarding an email from an open folder) the email does not send automatically, it just sits in outlook outbox. i always have to physically open up outlook to release the email. this is very anoying and never happened with outlook express. before, it just sent automatically. ...

Solved!! .Net Framework 3.5 Error in WinXP
Solved!! .Net Framework 3.5 Error in WinXP the solution is just install this hotfix (its actually a hotfix for .msi installer - but it solves the problem anyhow !!!) ---> WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe <--- Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable which can be found here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer i was experiencing the same trouble trying to update my Windows Xp Pro SP3 (this works for SP2 also as far as i know) which gave me all kinds of errors and didnt allow to ...

Macro Warning Message #3
I have removed all macros from a workbook but I am still being prompted to enable / disable macros, when I open the document. Is there a way of removing this w/o changing the security settings for Excel on my computer? Hi You need to delete the empty modules too! See here for info: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros -- Andy. "Andrew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1afb601c44f05$d441cf50$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have removed all macros from a workbook but I am still > being prompted to enable / disable macros, when I o...

Money ? #3
I've had Microsoft Money for years, well, starting from Money 98. My problem is that I had all my investments (no hard copy) in what must have been an updated version of Money 98 on a system that crashed. That's okay because I had a back up of my Money File. However, the only disk I can find for Money, is my original Money 98, but this must be an earlier version of the program than my last update, so it won't open it. Fine, I thought, I've downloaded the trial version of Money 2004, thinking I'll simply pay to go to an updated program. However, this won't recognise my ...

Help? My formula is displaying in my cell
Hi there - For some reason I have one cell (in a workbook where everything else i working) that when I type in the formula in the formula bar . . . th stupid formula is showing up in the cell. My formula is simply this: =Info!B13 Because I am taking text from a sheet labeled Info in cell B13. I'v done this for about a million cells in this workbook so far an everything else has worked. This one stupid cell is just showing m the formula. Can anyone give me some suggestions to fix that? Much appreciated! Thanks! Jennife -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Jennifer,...

Date Format #7
I want to display dates in the European format dd/mm/yy. When I enter dates they appear in the American format mm/dd/yy. Format Cells > Date in Excel only gives me the American format. Regional Options in Control Panel are set to English (Ireland) with the date format dd/mm/yy. How can I change the date to European format in EXCEL? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial...