Cell Formating #6

How to make a cell twinks when a condition is met in excel ?
0
Hecwill (2)

Hecwill,

You've probably seen blinking formatting in Word. Excel has no such
formatting.   It's possible, though not recommended to use timed macros to
do this.  It works by changing the formatting periodically.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Hecwill" <Hecwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How to make a cell twinks when a condition is met in excel ?

0
someone798 (944)
8/11/2005 3:44:46 PM
Why is it not recommended?

"Earl Kiosterud" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hecwill,
>
> You've probably seen blinking formatting in Word. Excel has no such
> formatting.   It's possible, though not recommended to use timed macros to
> do this.  It works by changing the formatting periodically.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
>
> "Hecwill" <Hecwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How to make a cell twinks when a condition is met in excel ?

You'd have to use some kind of procedure that runs every second or two.
Personally, I think that this would be a resource hog (as well as just
irritating to the eye).

But there are lots of solutions archived on google that do just that.

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Why is it not recommended?
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Hecwill,
> >
> > You've probably seen blinking formatting in Word. Excel has no such
> > formatting.   It's possible, though not recommended to use timed macros to
> > do this.  It works by changing the formatting periodically.
> > --
> > Earl Kiosterud
> > www.smokeylake.com
> >
> > "Hecwill" <Hecwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> How to make a cell twinks when a condition is met in excel ?

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

HTH

RP

> You'd have to use some kind of procedure that runs every second or two.
> Personally, I think that this would be a resource hog (as well as just
> irritating to the eye).
>
> But there are lots of solutions archived on google that do just that.
>
> Doug Kanter wrote:
> >
> > Why is it not recommended?
> >
> > "Earl Kiosterud" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > Hecwill,
> > >
> > > You've probably seen blinking formatting in Word. Excel has no such
> > > formatting.   It's possible, though not recommended to use timed
macros to
> > > do this.  It works by changing the formatting periodically.
> > > --
> > > Earl Kiosterud
> > > www.smokeylake.com
> > >
> > > "Hecwill" <Hecwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Save copy of active sheet
I use the code below to save a copy of my Workbook in a specific file path (testing to see if the folders already exist along the way) with a specific, data dependent file name. It works, but I'd like to tweak it a bit and I'm not sure how to write the code. I'd like to save only the active sheet instead of the whole workbook. I'd also like to save only the values and formats to the new file, not the formula and macros. Anyone have any advice on how to accomplish this? Here's my current code: Sub SaveName() If Not Len(Dir("g:\users\one\" & Range("h6&...

Testing for an error in a range of cells...
I searched through the previous posts on this topic, but have almost no experience using VBA in excel, so I was wondering if there was a simpler way to achieve this: I want to write a formula in B2 that will basically say, "If the range of cells B3 to B24 contains an error, return x if true, and return y if false." I know how to do this for a specific cell rather than a range, for example (=IF(ISERROR(B2),"x","y"). Any help in achieving this without delving into VBA would be much appreciated (I just don't have the time to start learning this stuff as I am w...

Combine Text from Multiple Cells
How do I combine text from mutliple cells into one cell? Hi Carter one option - well two really: if the information is in cells A1, B1 & C1 and you want it combined into D1 then in D1 type =A1 & " " & B1 & " " & C1 this will give you the contents of each with a space between OR =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1," ",C1) which will give you exactly the same thing Hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Carter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5fc401c48ac0$9cc86830$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do I combine tex...

Paste to adjacent cells
Hi All If I have Data in cells A1 to A10 or C1 to C23 etc and I want to paste more Data along side, to B1 to B10 or D1 to D23. Even better would be if I could paste to either side of the data. Is there away to do this without having to highlight those cells, this would save me allot of time. Thanks in Advance Dave, When you paste, it pastes the amount of stuff you've copied. If you've copied 10 vertical cells, that's what it's gonna paste. You need only select the top-left-most cell before you do a paste. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period ne...

How to speed up WinCE 6.00 boot
Hi all, I have developed a WinCE 6.00 platform based i.MX27. On this platform, I use a part of the Nand Flash as file system (around 100MB). When the Nand Flash file system is empty, the board start quickly but as more file are present on the Nand file system as more time Windows CE needs to start. Is there a way to speed up Windows CE boot? I have see that Windows CE is waiting for Nand Flash file system to finish his initialization before loading the other drivers, is there a way to change this? Thanks for any comment or suggestion Best regards Fabrice On 2/26/201...

Outlook Ex[ress 6.0 BCC in Sent Box
I am using Win XP Outlook Express 6.0 After I send mail using the BCC Email in the sent box does not show the BCC recipients, even after I select "all headers" Hi, Hal - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.window...

format numbers #2
I have a list of audio books in an excel 2003 spreadsheet. One column should show the duration of the book in this format: 8 hrs 23 mins. But what shows in the column is a 5 digit number, such as 54463 as an example. I cannot figure out how to format this column to translate this number into the hrs and mins of the actual book. Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks for your help Joanne Joanne Where does this number come from? It does not seem to relate to 8 hours 23 minutes at all (eg it isn't the total minutes for example or seconds). What is the source of this informa...

Invisible Formula in Cells !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have this strang excel file. When I enter formular into it, it don't show thae value but when I enter anything else in the cell, that is visible. The formula is in the cell, its just not visible. On Apr 21, 7:41=A0am, Ayo <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have this strang excel file. When I enter formular into it, it don't sh= ow > thae value but when I enter anything else in the cell, that is visible. T= he > formula is in the cell, its just not visible. Probably the sheet is protected and Hidden check box of Protection tab of Format Cell dial...

how do I free units cells?
I try to put in alphabetical order a column but appear a messagge about cells joined togheter. How can I free the whole page ? thanks and sorry for my english Try selecting the whole sheet Ctrl A then Format Cells Alignment and make sure the merge cells box is unticked. then try your sort Reagards Dav -- Dav ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513559 ...

quattro 6.0
My Quattro 6.0 program is corrrupt and i lost the installation discs but I have many spreadsheets saved in 6.0 with the extension wb2. Excel does not have a conversion for 6.0. Help ...

Pictures #6
If U have pic's in a news letter, how do U click on a pic to make an enlarged view or is it possible? -- Bobby Pickett representing http://www.monsterpowersports.com Might ask this on the publisher.webdesign newsgroup. How to Thumbnail in Publisher Web Publications http://msmvps.com/blogs/dbartosik/articles/80553.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Rubbertruk55" <Rubbertruk55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98968455-92D2-4ADB-9A30-0D79317E9567@microsoft.com... > If U hav...

Conditional format based on data from another column
Hi Yesterday I asked about the possibility of conditional formatting a range of 20 random numbers into 2 different formats. Thank you for that, but now it seems that 3 of my 20 numbers are now requiring a different cell to be highlighted in yet another colour. Currently the situation is as follows:- Column G has a list of random numbers ranging from 1-20, with columns either side pertaining to the random number located in the relevant cell in Column G. It now appears that 3 numbers in this random list do not require highlighting in Column G and have amended the condition formattin...

Outlook 2007 Edit Business Card Format
I've just started using Outlook 2007 with the Business Contact Manager. I'd like to edit the format of the Business Card in both Outlook and Business Contact Manager. I have discovered how to edit an individual card but not how to edit all the existing cards and future cards. Can this be done and if so how? Thanks, Bob It can't be done; that functionality just isn't built into Outlook. I = expect, though, that some enterprising programmer will produce an = inexpensive tool or sample application to apply a particular format to = all EBCs.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook ...

Custom Format text XX:XXXX:XX
I would like to have text custom formatted so that if a 8 character words is typed, it is automatically broken up like this XX:XXXX:XX. This works just fine with numbers with a ##\:####\:## custom format, but it will not work for text. Any suggestions? -- mustard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346023 Number formatting only works on numbers. But you could use a little macro waiting for y...

format of emailed excel file
In excel 2003 when I email a a particulat worksheet in a workbook I lose all the formating when it is recieved in Outlook 2003. Is there anyway to preserve the excel "look"? Thnaks, Craig S ...

cell won't wrap text
Very simple Excel file. 3rd column over is is formatted as Text | Wrap Text. All other cells seem to wrap text fine. One cell in particular won't wrap text. It displays all XXXX instead. I did an Edit|Clear and re-entered the text and it did it again. I adjust the height of the cell to no avail. 70+ other cells in this SS work just fine with the same amount of text. Any thoughts? Try changing the format from Text to General -- Gary''s Student "GrHopp" wrote: > Very simple Excel file. 3rd column over is is formatted as Text | Wrap Text. > All othe...

Format a cell to display as all caps
Is there any way to format a cell so that text entered will always display in caps? Hi Not Directly !......but you can use the UPPER function. If your data is in A1, put =UPPER(A1) in A2. This will convet whatever you type in A1 to Uppercase in A2 HTH Michael "WAF" wrote: > Is there any way to format a cell so that text entered will always display in > caps? No. You cannot format a cell to display caps. You can use event code in the worksheet to change the text to caps when you enter it. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column &g...

Extract data in the right part of a cell
I have some cells contains "*" , I want to extrat the text to the right of the "*". For example, if A2 contains "txt*123", I want it turn out to be "123". Thanks. Try the following formula, =MID(A1,FIND("*",A1)+1,LEN(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "plumstone" <plumstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:731CB03C-AD8F-43D8-BFAB-6AD50DEBE799@microsoft.com... > I have some cells contains "*" , I want to extrat the text to th...

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

Compare cells for identical values
Hi I need to be able to compare a range of cells and highlight if the same value appears to 2 cells in the same row. Does anyone know the VB code that will help me do this? Thanks -- red_debs ------------------------------------------------------------------------ red_debs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14753 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=263746 Hi check out Chip Pearson's website he has lots of stuff on dealing with duplicates http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Cheers JulieD "re...

Modify general format to date format.
When importing from payroll, it gives me all dates formatted as general numbers (i.e. 07/17/2009 is presented as 7172009. Is there any way to convert these numbers into dates? If your Windows Regional Settings recognise a format of mddyyyy, you can apply the below formula and format the formula cell to date.. =--TEXT(A1,"00\-00\-0000") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "SherryS" wrote: > When importing from payroll, it gives me all dates formatted as general > numbers (i.e. 07/17/2009 is presented as 7172009. Is there any way to > convert the...

Conditional Formatting OR Expression??
I am using all 3 conditions so is there a way to combine these 2 lines of code into 1 condition? They both result in turning the cell red: '(this line looks to see if there is a percent other than 0 or 100 and calculates the percent where we should be versus the actual, cell H33) =IF(AND(H33>0%,H33<100%),(H33<=((H32-$C$2)/$H$8))) OR =IF(H33=0%,(H32-$C$2)<$H$8) '(this line looks to see if there are still enough days to complete) Cell H33 is a % Comp, H32 is End Date, $C$2 is Today's Date and $H$8 is # days to complete, just FYI. THANKS!! Stacey Do an OR =OR(cond1...

How do you change the data type of a cell using VBA?
For instance, with VBA I am trying to place "February 2007" in a cell but it keeps showing up as Feb-07. I want it to show up as literal text. -- justme0010 Sub text_it() Range("A1").Value = Chr(39) & "February 2007" End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007c You could keep the value a date and just format the cell the way you like: with activecell .numberformat = "mmmm yyyy" .value = dateserial(2007,2,1) end with You could also format the cell as text first: with activecell .numberformat = "@" 'text .value...

Custom Number Formats
Does anyone know of a good resource for looking up the capabilities and limitations of Custom Number formats? I'm trying to recreate a convoluted Word format inside of Excel. So far I've been unsuccessful. tj How about "About custom number formats" in XL Help? In article <153F3092-E5EB-489D-B568-A63C7BA41130@microsoft.com>, "tjtjjtjt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of a good resource for looking up the capabilities and > limitations of Custom Number formats? > I'm trying to recreate a convoluted Word fo...

Forwarding HTML Formatted Message
Message 'disappears' when I attempt to forward an HTML formatted message. ...