Cell Format Question

Is there a way to format a cell, so that I can just enter a number without
having to manually enter a decimal point at the end?

I believe that I've tried it every which way, and it just doesn't happen.
For instance, I'll use the "Number" format, then specify 0 decimal points,
type in "20", and it'll just say "0" (meaning, less than one half).  Can I
just enter "20", and have it appear as "20"?

I only need to enter whole numbers in these cells.  I know that it's easy
enough to just type the decimal point at the end, but am curious if I can
just enter whole numbers without entering the decimal point.

Thanks.

smackedass

There's no requirement that you type a decimal point when entering a whole number. But you
should not have Fixed Decimal checked (in Tools/Options/Edit)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:50:18 GMT, "smackedass" <nospamkema@capecod.net> wrote:

>Is there a way to format a cell, so that I can just enter a number without
>having to manually enter a decimal point at the end?
>
>I believe that I've tried it every which way, and it just doesn't happen.
>For instance, I'll use the "Number" format, then specify 0 decimal points,
>type in "20", and it'll just say "0" (meaning, less than one half).  Can I
>just enter "20", and have it appear as "20"?
>
>I only need to enter whole numbers in these cells.  I know that it's easy
>enough to just type the decimal point at the end, but am curious if I can
>just enter whole numbers without entering the decimal point.
>
>Thanks.
>
>smackedass

0
myrnalarson (223)
7/23/2003 1:53:17 AM
Thank you, Myrna and David!

I should've come here right away, instead of wasting 45 minutes of my
life...

smackedass

no, you were right to try. You would have been even more right to spend some
time in the Excel help. However, it is nice that you got the answer to your
question, even if you could have found it pretty easily in help or in the
knowledgebase or even in old NG postings.
Richard Choate

"smackedass" <nospamkema@capecod.net> wrote in message
Thank you, Myrna and David!

I should've come here right away, instead of wasting 45 minutes of my
life...

smackedass

0
rchoatecpa (136)
7/23/2003 2:38:52 AM
I would tend to agree with you on that.  I had tried your own words
and  entered  into a Google Groups search -- find all words
     numbers without entering the decimal point

It did come up with a reference to the Option
      Options,  Edit,  (check/uncheck)  fixed decimal places
but from the other side -- someone who wanted the option.
Of course after 12 hours someone entering those words might
see this thread in a  Google Groups search
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
   http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100

Actually you would probably find the answer to such a question in
any FAQ that anyone has for Excel (there is nothing official)
   Excel FAQs list of FAQ by John Walkenbach. .
     http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/faqs/index.htm
   Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Microsoft Excel
     Debra Dalgleish's site,  contributions gathered by Harald Staff
     http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html    (see item #5)

Your question was a bit unusual in that most people with the problem
had not discovered the difference between including a decimal point
and not including a decimal point in trying to discover the problem and
solution.  Also unusual in that you had probably formatted the
cell to show only whole numbers; whereas, the others would see
the inserted decimal point.

 ---
HTH,

"smackedass" <nospamkema@capecod.net> wrote...
> Y'know what?  Normally, I would try to go to Help or Knowledgebase, but I
> didn't know how to phrase my question so that an electronic index would
> understand it.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Duplicate Cells #5
I have a rather large spreadsheet of Names, Addresses etc. and I know there are many duplicates. I would like to know how I can find and highlight the duplicates in a column. I don't want to remove them, only highlight them. if the duplicates could be highlighted in a color that would be great. Please keep in mind that I just started with spreadsheets and I'm not that familiar with the application. thanks Hi Richard: Names and addresses are really quite difficult to match due to the problems of representing the names is in: Richard Mahan Rick Mahan R Mahan RS Mahan Richar...

Paragraph formating jumps to defaults.
Hi, We are using Office/Outlook 2007 We have an email signature script that is run when users login, it´s working ok except for two things; If the default paragraph settings in Word 2007 for a user matches those in the signature script, the signature will use the "Base defaults" of Word 2007, that is SpaceAfter = 10 and LineSpacing = "Multiple" with a value of 1,15. So if I change the script to use SpaceAfter=0 and the user has set his/her Word 2007 to use SpaceAfter=0, the result will be SpaceAfter=10. If the script is set to SpaceAfter=0 and the us...

if cell is text move left one column

Concatenation question
I am trying to concatenate two fields and then add text in brackets to the end. Here is what I have: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & ", " & [Me.FirstName] & " (Mgr)") I want the end result to be: Smith, Mary (Mgr) How do I achieve this? Thank you, Terri What you've done will work. You can also use the "+" operator if there is a possibility that there will be a missing first name: StaffFullName = ([Me.LastName] & "," & (" "+ [Me.FirstName]) & " (Mgr)") That will avoid an extra spa...

Where is the lasso feature in 2008? (was in formatting palette in 2004)

Complex question about importing, analyzing data
I get a cvs file emailed to me. I am trying hard to figure out how to import the data into Excel not in whole, but only selected columns. Once that is done, I would like to run a formula such as subract d from 1 row from e from another row if and only if A is the same. Could someone point me to a book or get me started and I will try to wrestle with the rest? What I would do is import the whole file into a Blank Worksheet - then delete what you don't want and then copy and past what you do want into your "Master Sheet" As for the formula something like the following should ...

Formatting a subtotal line with a macro

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

formatting auto replies
Does anyone know of a method that allows outlook 2k2 to format automatic replies regardless of the format of the original message? I setup this automatic response rule that replies with a template, but problem is, when replying to http clients (hotmail or yahoo), the message at the receiver's end has words totally misplaced, all over the page. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Separating Date and Time in a cell

Format for credit card numbers

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Automatic changes in cells

Varying format
Is there any way to format a cell differently depending on the number of decimal places typed in? What I need is a minimum of 2dp but 3 if the typed entry matches. eg 1.2 appears as 1.20 and 1.234 appears as typed. TIA Ian Hi! Try formatting the cell with a custom number format such as 0.00## Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27494 "AlfD" <AlfD.1f5q6o@excelforum-nospam.c...

Calculating on alphabetic cell content

Sorting Cells by Colors