Cell Drag & Drop without Incrementing

Hi,

Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell
without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1
contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill
cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321.

Cheers, thanks for your help.

Paul
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Paul
use an absolute reference. change the cell reference
TR321
to $T$321
also have a look at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell
> without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1
> contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill
> cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321.
>
> Cheers, thanks for your help.
>
> Paul
0
frank.kabel (11126)
4/2/2004 12:57:43 PM
Paul,

Hold donw the Ctrl key while you drag.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell
> without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1
> contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill
> cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321.
>
> Cheers, thanks for your help.
>
> Paul

0
Bernie
4/2/2004 12:58:14 PM
Another option is to drag with the right mouse button.  When you release the
button you get a context menu where you can pick the result you want.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Simple question really. Is it possibe to drag a cell
| without it incrementing automatically. Eg if cell a1
| contains TR321 I want to be able to drag it down to fill
| cells a2:a10 without any change, ie A10 is also TR321.
|
| Cheers, thanks for your help.
|
| Paul

0
jrrech (1932)

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Axis label that corresponds to cell
I have an interactive graph which graphs data from a set column. This column changes depending on what is selected on a list selector. I was wondering if there is a way to label the y axis whatever was in, say cell AD11. I was hoping that that this would be something easy that I could write into the excel chart wizard, like =$AD$11, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated. -- pete3589 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pete3589's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28402 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

Auto fill cells with dates, exclude weekends?
What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wondering if there was anyway for it to skip the weekends within the dates? Thanks in advance. Hi Sam rather than dragging with the left mouse button down, drag with the right .... when you let go you'll see an option for fill weekdays. Cheers JulieD "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:af3901c4796d$85dff660$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates > (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wo...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

Updates reboot computer without asking permission
I fail to receive a message that I need to reboot for updates to take effect. I may be in the middle of important work and the computer just starts rebooting sometimes causing me to lose my work. My computer at work tells me updates have been downloaded and asking if I want to reboot now or reboot later. How can I change my home computer to ask this first before the reboot process begins without warning? Windows version? Which updates were installed? Which of the three (3) Automatic Updates settings have you selected? What does Event Viewer | System log have to say abou...

How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat
I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a week. The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells in my equation. Here is what I'm typing: =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)). I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel. I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space. Any help will be appreciated. -Ryan take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Kis...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

dynamic cells
Hi! I wonder if somebody could help me with the following problem: I have two columns with cells containing some values B1..B22, C1..C22 everyday I add a new cell e.g. B23 and C23, B24 and C24,... I wonder if I use these cells in a forumla like REGR how to write in order to avoid updating the formula every day? REGR(B1:B22;C1:C22) TIA Anders. Anders, You could create a dynamic named range for each of your ranges. In your example, if you have no data below your list you could: Insert->Name->Define Input the name then in 'Refers To' type =offset (B1,0,0,counta(B:B),1) ...

Query to show empty cells
I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to show an empty cell? Try out the query with IsNull as criterion. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer the question? "xololady" wrote: > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the > addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to sh...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

excel's active cell
how to highlight the active cell with a color each time it moves angelaexceluser, have a look at Chip's addin here for one way to do it, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "angelaexceluser" <angelaexceluser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48BB20C8-3DF8-43AB-B913-9CDB2A288748@microsoft.com... > how to highlight the active cell with a color ...

When you click a hyperlink in a cell i get a Warning message
This message is about harmfull files and gives you an OK and CANCEL. Is it at all possable to disable this particualr message because i have a document full of hyperlinks and its getting anoying!!!! Thanks. ...

Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously
I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a large worksheet simultaneuously. I want to identify the range and then adjust the formula in the entire range. Is there a way that I can highlight the range and then change to formula in each, simultaneously? For example, if I wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would I do this? Thanks, Michael You could put 2 in an empty cell. Copy it Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section. Then clear out that 2. But it really depends on what kind of change you're making. If you wanted to ad...

Excel drop-down values versus labels
I can't figure out how to duplicate Web-based Select boxes, as drop-down lists in Excel. I can create the drop-down list using Data | Validation | Settings, selecting from Allow the opion List (Ignore Blank and In-Cell dropdown checked), and then enter into Source: Standard, Large, Extra Large (each item separated by commas). But I can't figure out how to calculate which item is selected without duplicating the data, It seems inefficient to duplicate "Standard, Large, Extra Large" elsewhere, and do a lookup. 1. Is there not a function which will return the Nth it...

Copying one cell to muliple cells #2
Cell a1 is a date cell. Cells b1-b30 are date cells. What I am trying to do is every time that I enter a new date in Ai, I want it to go to a blank cell in b column and not over write the dates that are already there. A B 2/3/04 1/6/04 1/20/04 1/25/04 2/3/04 right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this>format col B as desired date >save. Now when you put a date in a1 such as 8/1, the last cell+1 in col b will get that date. Private Sub Worksheet_...

Activity without date
In my current project plan I know a few activities that will be conducted, more specifically meetings that are important. Now, I don't know the date they will happen yet and I want to indicate that by adding the activity but not entering a date. Is that allowed in MS Project? Since Project is designed to calculate dates, not only can you enter a task without a date, you should be entering ALL tasks without dates and then Project tells you when you should schedule them. -- Steve House MS Project Trainer & Consultant "Hertsh" <Hertsh@discussions.microsoft....

How do i save a custom footer in the excel drop down menu?
My standard practice is to set up a footer with "&[file]" in the left custom footer box, "Page &[Page]/&[Pages]" in the center box and "&[Date]" in the right box. I would like to save this in the drop down menu but have not been able to find out how to do this. There are other footers there and I have no idea where they came from. Any help? Thanks. I set up two template workbooks with what I want each page layout to be. The first one is named book.xlt (file|saveas|Template (*.xlt)). This is stored in my XLStart folder. When I click the N...

Excel worksheet without min/max/close
Hello, can I programatically hide or get rid of the 3 buttons in the upper right titlebar corner ? Thank you in advance. Kind regards, H.G. Lamy ...

UPDATETEXT Dropping Character
I am using UPDATETEXT to update and empty ntext field. I con't figure out why the last character, a period, keeps getting dropped? This is SQL 2005. DECLARE @name nvarchar(60) DECLARE @ptr binary(16) DECLARE @buf nvarchar(1000) UPDATE receiptFormat SET [xmlData] = '', jsData = '', defaultBeforeFl = 0, defaultDuringFl = 0, defaultAfterFl = 0, allCentersFl = 1, warningFl = 0, errorFl = 0, workflowID = NULL, receiptFormatTypeID = 1 WHERE [name] = 'DeliveryAdjustmentReceipt' SELECT @ptr = TEXT...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

How do I insert a row of blank cells?
I need to know how to insert a row of blank cells every other row in the columns from F to I ONLY!!! I currently have just a straight set of data in those columns like data-data-data-data-data-data. I need to have it alternate data-blankrow-data-blankrow-data-blankrow- as I go down from row to row. I need to do this for about 1000 rows so I need a quick way to do it if there is one. HELP!!! Looks like this: Data Data Data Data I want this: Data Data Data Data Thanks. Chris -open the VB editor -double click the sheet of interest -View from the menu--> Code -Paste the belo...

How can I reset defaults for cell borders? i.e color and/or inte.
I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a worksheet. 1-choose the cellsformat/cells 2-choose format/cells 3-click on Border tab 4-choose the line style and color 5-click kind of vorder u want to have. 6-to reset defaults for cell borders, click "none" "mffoster" wrote: > I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a > worksheet. ...

How to let field sales people use our data base (without ASP/Scripting) ??
We have a data base we want our field sales people people to use daily. We have all our queries and forms and reports done in Access. We do not want to have to re-do it all in ASP or some other Scripting Language. We think we need something like Citrix and Terminal Server... but they are expensive... right? What are the alternatives available to very small businesses? Thanks for any help. Mel "Mel" <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1180126800.016508.53210@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > We have a data base we want our field sales people people to use ...