Cell copying itself when I don't want it to

Hi,
I am using excel 2003.  When I put in a formula, for example, in A1, if
there is a formula in A2 it changes the formula from A2 to match the formula
in A1.  What can I do to make it stop this? Thanks.

See "Extend formats and formulas to additional rows" in the help menu.

"CWTaylor" wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using excel 2003.  When I put in a formula, for example, in A1, if
> there is a formula in A2 it changes the formula from A2 to match the formula
> in A1.  What can I do to make it stop this? Thanks.

Referencing merged cells
I'm having trouble referencing a merged cell in another workbook. Say I merge cells A1 to C1 in workbook 1. When I make this the active cell, the Name Box says "A1". When I go to another workbook (say, workbook 2), go to cell B1, type "=" and then go to the merged cell and select it, I get 'workbook1'!$A$1:$C$1 as the formula and, of course, the "#VALUE" error. I've successfully tried typing "=sum(" without the quotes hen clicking on the contents of the cell and then adding the ")" and it works O.K. but there should be an easi...

Easy formula question -sum of 1 cell to end
Thanks for looking . How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say A1 to "however far down the spreadsheet goes" without having to name an ending cell? This sheet has no end and I need to display the total in a column that keeps growing. I hope I phrased this correctly. Hi Edward You could do it this way =SUM(A:A), that will cover the full column. HTH John "Edward" <222@333.com> wrote in message news:erIdCRRkJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Thanks for looking . > How do you format a formula to display the sum of, let's say ...

Axis label that corresponds to cell
I have an interactive graph which graphs data from a set column. This column changes depending on what is selected on a list selector. I was wondering if there is a way to label the y axis whatever was in, say cell AD11. I was hoping that that this would be something easy that I could write into the excel chart wizard, like =$AD$11, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated. -- pete3589 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pete3589's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28402 View this thread: http://www.exce...

Finding the currently selected cell in another worksheet
Hi, In Excel 2002 I want to display the current row of worksheet A in worksheet B (in another format). Does anyone know how to do this? Ideal would be if this updates automatically, but performance wise I guess a macro activated by a button in worksheet A would be the best solution. TBH, Jeroen Jeroen, I don't know of a way in a formula to determine the active cell of the worksheet. Worksheets other than the active one don't have an active cell. I think macros are the only way. Put this in a regular module: Public Roww As Long Put this in the sheet A module: Private Sub W...

Auto fill cells with dates, exclude weekends?
What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wondering if there was anyway for it to skip the weekends within the dates? Thanks in advance. Hi Sam rather than dragging with the left mouse button down, drag with the right .... when you let go you'll see an option for fill weekdays. Cheers JulieD "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:af3901c4796d$85dff660$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What I'm doing is filling in multiple cells with dates > (by dragging and filling) automatically. I was wo...

copy formula as series
I enter data in a column e.g. A1 : A50 How do I then in another sheet , by using the cell references, enter the data as a row in sheet 2 without having to do each formula manually? In sheet 2 when I try to copy the formula =sheet1!A1 across the row it obviously puts in the relative value. I have tried fixing the column ref by using =sheet1!$A1. That correctly fixes the clumn as A across the series but fails to increment the row reference down the column. That is fixed as 1 where as I want it as a series A1: A50 in the row in sheet 2. Help Quercus, Send me a message privately, and I ...

Lost my copy of money 2005
Recently, I had problems with my hard drive and started receiving a message when I clicked on the MSN Money icon saying; "cannot locate registration library (DLL)." The technician had to reload the original version of money (2003) that came with the computer, however, I was using a downloaded version (2005). How can I download this version again without getting charged and will I be able to retrieve my data? -- Edwin I. Lugo Try seeing if the download from Microsoft. The link can be found on http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/132.aspx Note that once you download the Money 200...

How do I ignore blank cells while averaging the solutions of equat
I'm trying to average (items produced/manhours/workers) over the course of a week. The problem is each job isnt worked every day, so I have blank cells in my equation. Here is what I'm typing: =AVERAGE((B4/C4/D4),(E4/F4/G4),(H4/I4/J4),(K4/L4/M4),(N4/O4/P4)). I know there is a way to ignore #DIV/0 results, but I'm fairly new to Excel. I'm also trying to keep this all in one row to save space. Any help will be appreciated. -Ryan take a look at the subtotal function and see if it meets your needs. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Kis...

dynamic cells
Hi! I wonder if somebody could help me with the following problem: I have two columns with cells containing some values B1..B22, C1..C22 everyday I add a new cell e.g. B23 and C23, B24 and C24,... I wonder if I use these cells in a forumla like REGR how to write in order to avoid updating the formula every day? REGR(B1:B22;C1:C22) TIA Anders. Anders, You could create a dynamic named range for each of your ranges. In your example, if you have no data below your list you could: Insert->Name->Define Input the name then in 'Refers To' type =offset (B1,0,0,counta(B:B),1) ...

Query to show empty cells
I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to show an empty cell? Try out the query with IsNull as criterion. -- ********* http://panjas.org If the message was helpful to you, click Yes next to Was this post helpful to you? If the post answers your question, click Yes next to Did this post answer the question? "xololady" wrote: > I am doing a database for addresses and would like to run a query showing the > addresses that are empty. What should I put in the criteria to sh...

How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells
How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... =A1&".gif" "Wanda_pb" <Wanda_pb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D20A2D9-3BFF-4BA2-A85D-7F5FD229A62A@microsoft.com... > How do I add the same text to numerous existing cells without having to > repeatedly type the text? Ex. adding .gif to XXE1149J, XXE1130J... Thank you, that was very helpful, but I guess I should have mentioned there were "/" also in the text. When I did your sugge...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

When you click a hyperlink in a cell i get a Warning message
This message is about harmfull files and gives you an OK and CANCEL. Is it at all possable to disable this particualr message because i have a document full of hyperlinks and its getting anoying!!!! Thanks. ...

excel's active cell
how to highlight the active cell with a color each time it moves angelaexceluser, have a look at Chip's addin here for one way to do it, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "angelaexceluser" <angelaexceluser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48BB20C8-3DF8-43AB-B913-9CDB2A288748@microsoft.com... > how to highlight the active cell with a color ...

Excel VBA
Hi. Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet fro another workbook into another different workbook? If so....how? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try recoding a macro while doing this manually. And yes it is possible :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "cjh1984 >" <<cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cjh1984.16x63k@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi. > > Is it possible to use VBA in one workbook to copy a worksheet from > another workbook into another different workbook? ...

Changing formula in multiple cells or range simultaneously
I am trying to change the value in multiple cells in a large worksheet simultaneuously. I want to identify the range and then adjust the formula in the entire range. Is there a way that I can highlight the range and then change to formula in each, simultaneously? For example, if I wanted to double the value in the entire range, how would I do this? Thanks, Michael You could put 2 in an empty cell. Copy it Edit|Paste special|click on Multiply under the operation section. Then clear out that 2. But it really depends on what kind of change you're making. If you wanted to ad...

How to disable sent items in OWA 2003 from taking a copy from sent
I want to ask if there is a way to disable sent items in owa 2003 or in exchange from taking copies of sent emails. On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:15:07 -0800, Prince <Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to ask if there is a way to disable sent items in owa 2003 or in >exchange from taking copies of sent emails. Is it that you want to stop people taking a copy of items that go into the sent items or do you want to stop sent items going into the sent items folder in the 1st place? It's not clear in your post. I want to stop or enable people from taking a copy of sen...

Copying one cell to muliple cells #2
Cell a1 is a date cell. Cells b1-b30 are date cells. What I am trying to do is every time that I enter a new date in Ai, I want it to go to a blank cell in b column and not over write the dates that are already there. A B 2/3/04 1/6/04 1/20/04 1/25/04 2/3/04 right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this>format col B as desired date >save. Now when you put a date in a1 such as 8/1, the last cell+1 in col b will get that date. Private Sub Worksheet_...

Copied data not treated same way as typed in data
Hi there. I am new to this newsgroup - but I wonder if someone might be able to help. I have an Excel spreadsheet (MS Excel'97 .xls Workbook) which contains a whole load of data. I am trying to use the FREQUENCY command [e.g. =FREQUENCY($N$7:$N$2000,C60:C61)] to summarise certain columns of data - to tell me the number of times that certain codes appear. I have used the FREQUENCY command before in another spreadsheet without any problem. In my current spreadsheet I have setup the FREQUENCY commands in exactly the same way, but all the output fields appear as zero. Interestingly thoug...

I want to print my own money !!!!
What do I need ? On 23 Jan 2005 00:06:36 -0800, pain_wheels@hotmail.com (Dan Simper) wrote: >What do I need ? A number of years to spend in jail. ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- ...

want to grab Day of week in a LIST
I have a frequency field and it is a drop down the choices are any combination of days for example Mon, Wed, Fri or Mon, Tues or Wed or Wed, Fri- you get what I mean- ANY combination. Each cleaning job that needs to be done the frequency gets selected from the dropdown. That table is fine. When I go to Completing the jobs. I would like to run a query that pulls up all jobs for example due today(Wed). When I put this Format(Now(),"ddd") in the criteria for Frequency ONLY the jobs due on WED ONLY show up - would like ALL jobs where Wed is anywhere in the frequency...

Cell Formatting to disp. ### numbers
I am trying to format the cells so that it only allows three numbers t be displayed. To be more descriptive: We work with zip codes quite often, but, we only use the first thre digits. Someone sent us a xls file with 12000 zip codes, in one column, and need to know how to make the column show only the first three digits o all the zip codes.. there is another problem, when I convert them to a numeric value, i removes the zero in front...ex. 08245, becomes 8245, but i need to kee that zero in front. Thanks -Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your zip codes a...

How do I insert a row of blank cells?
I need to know how to insert a row of blank cells every other row in the columns from F to I ONLY!!! I currently have just a straight set of data in those columns like data-data-data-data-data-data. I need to have it alternate data-blankrow-data-blankrow-data-blankrow- as I go down from row to row. I need to do this for about 1000 rows so I need a quick way to do it if there is one. HELP!!! Looks like this: Data Data Data Data I want this: Data Data Data Data Thanks. Chris -open the VB editor -double click the sheet of interest -View from the menu--> Code -Paste the belo...

How can I reset defaults for cell borders? i.e color and/or inte.
I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a worksheet. 1-choose the cellsformat/cells 2-choose format/cells 3-click on Border tab 4-choose the line style and color 5-click kind of vorder u want to have. 6-to reset defaults for cell borders, click "none" "mffoster" wrote: > I want to be able to modify border colors and intesity for cells in a > worksheet. ...

Copying and pasting between calendars
In Outlook 2003 I was able to copy text from a calendar and then paste directly to another (I have access to 2 calendars in Outlook for updating and diary management). This function doesn't appear to work in Outlook 2007 so it means I am tying the same information twice. Is there a soln to this issue? Many thanks -- Kaye You need to tell us how you did it in 2003 and why this same procedure does not work in 2007 and what error messages you receive. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook ...