Cell border formatting problem

Hi -
In a simple, unprotected worksheet (Excel 2002), I cannot
format the borders of some of the cells. If I click on the
border button on the formatting toolbar, nothing happens.
If I go to Format>Cells on the Menu Bar, nothing happens.
I can, however, type in these cells. For some of these
cells, I can copy and paste a formatted cell from another
part of the worksheet successfully. For some cells, I
cannot copy and paste a formatted cell. Sometimes if I
select a range of cells around the offending cell, I can
format all of them. But I still cannot format the offender
by itself. I use Excel several times a week on average,
and this is the second time this has happened in the past
year. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
kate

0
kkane (1)

offline defrag problems
setup: win2k server exchange2k -- both have all latest service packs. priv1.edb is 2.5 GB approx. when i attempt an offline defrag, it hangs at about 20%. can anyone here offer any advice please? -TIA Offline defrag takes about 4-5gb per hour Even though the status bar may get stuck at a particular number, you need to give it enough time based on the speed above. Also you need to keep in mind that you need 110% free disk space of the database file size that you are trying to defrag. If you still feel that it is hanging, try running it on a different computer, by using the following arti...

Joining text with a formula in cell #2
Thanks, I'll try and explain a bit better If you want to show the result of a formula and text in the same cel you can use something like this =SUM(A1:A4)&"*". This will sum the A1:A4, show the result and put an asterix at the en of the number.(eg 22*) But the problem occurs when the sum has decimal points. If the forma is set to 2 decimal points but the sum is greater than 2 decimal point then it does not round it to 2. It shows as 22.444444444444444* when i should be 22.44* It is like the tip "Joining text with a linked date in Microsof Excel" -- Mustard Hea ---...

ms excel predefine english word on the cell
how to predefine an english word ie. "S" on the cell. So, user each time just type in ie. 1243 and the cell will return S1243. Then the user no need to type so many times of "S" in front of 1243. If the user ie. type it 1244, then it returns "S1244" automatically. Any hints and steps and procedure as well. thanks gary email: garywwww3@hotmail.com -- garyww ------------------------------------------------------------------------ garyww's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35818 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Link to a changing cell? You'll see...
Hi, Is it possible to have a hyperlink between two sheets that jumps to th cell that is displaying today's date? I want to have a link from one worksheet, that when pressed takes me t a different worksheet, but on the this new sheet locates the cell whic is displaying today's date. Essentially, I have a link going to my year planner, but rather tha having to constently scroll down each time, it would be good if the ro which contained today was immediately displayed. The dates are all in column A. Can this be done? Thanks, Mark -- mevett ---------------------------------------...

problem with CFilefind
Hi all, I'm having a problem using the MFC's CFileFind class, so hope someone who knows would enlighten me. I'm trying to search for folders only, so the search wildcard is specified as "*.*" and I used the IsDirectory and IsDots to test when a directory is really a directory and not the DOS kind of dot or file. problem is, in my usage, I realize it always tend to miss one directory. even when searching for a file, it will tend to miss a file no matter what I do. Could someone please enlighten me on this? below I've attached some codes to detail how I used it....

sbcglobal.net send problem
I'm new to exchange so bear with me. I just implemented my first excange server (2003) and all is going pretty well except any email sent to sbcglobal.net get kicked back. I've researched on the web and I see the problem reported by other but I see no solutions offered. I tried calling SBC, joke, and the tech guys with strong accents could offer no solutions but go to the help link. Here's the message. It says it's a configuration error on my end? Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: FW: Letter of Commitment Sent: 6/29/...

locking text in a cell, but allowing new text to be added
Sorry for such a newbie question. I have created a form and in some cells, I have text that I want to lock, but allowing others to add to the text in the cell. For example, if I put "Resolution Suggestions: " I would like that to be locked, but enable others to add their suggestions. Is there a way to do this, without having that particular text being in a separate cell? Thank you One way, not necessarily a good way, but it will work: Enter a space into the cell, then use format, custom, and use the format string ;;;"Resolution Suggestions: "@ Which will show...

Problem tracking and sending email in 3.0 #2
This is a CRM 3.0 issue. When sending an email that has been tracked in CRM, a user gets this error: An error occurred promoting this item to Microsoft CRM. The Microsoft CRM server could not be contacted or the user has insufficient permissions to perform this action. Note the following: - CRM can be browsed from Outlook or ID. - I changed the user's role to system admin and did not resolve the problem. - The user created an appointment in Outlook and was able to successfully track it in CRM and save it. Thanks, -Rick M. ...

"Data Problem-Data show only?"
Hi ! Guys & Ladies ! I have a question to ask ! I have the data (abc 1234) , then i us "text to colum" to make it no space between charaters & word(abc1234) The following step is like that : 1. Select the "data" > data > text to column > select fixed width next > then create a break line to the desired position > next finished . 2 . then the data (abc 1234) in column a1 will change to (abc) i column a1 & 1234 will place at column b1 . Then in column c1 ente formula =(a1&b1) . Then the abc & 1234 will combine to 1 (abc1234) i column ...

subtracting 2 cells but only if 1st cell is greater than 0
In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is , or = to 0, in which case, I would like e11 to be 0. i have tried severeral =if and sumif formulas and can't get anything to work. Any suggestions? hi if i understand your post, you want c11 subtracted from d11 if c11 is greater than or equal to 0 otherwize 0. try this..... =IF(OR(C11>0,C11=0),D11-C11,0) post back if i misunderstood. Regards FSt1 "Maureen" wrote: > In cell e11 I would like to subtract cell d11-c11 unless the calue in c11 is > , or = to 0, in which case...

Number Formatting Dollars to Cents
I have a list with a column containing what are supposed to be dollar amounts but for whatever reason came to us with numbers like this: +000000040 +000000560 This number is supposed to be 40 cents. If I take out the +sign, Excel automatically changes it to 40, or $40. How can I move the decimal so that it becomes $.40? And in the second example, $5.60 rather than $560.? All help is greatly appreciated! Vickie Hi Vickie! Your numbers appear to be text. Put 100 in an empty cell Copy Select the text numbers Edit > Paste special > Divide > OK Format as currency -- Regards Norman Ha...

Wrap text in merged cells
Hi, I have a complicated spreadsheet which results in a nicely presented report in which l need the user to input some narrative. To preserve the look and feel of the report l would like the user to be able to input the narrative on a single row, restricted to say 6 columns. The row height needs to adjust automatically dpendent on the amount of text entered. It seems a simple problem but l have tried many methods without success. Anybody got any idea's on how to do this ? All replies greatly appreciated. Regards Michael Beckinsale. You have a problem because: >>restricted t...

How do I choose a cell colour, without it being tied to the data?
I would like to set up an alternating cell colour scheme to distinguish between each line of data in my table. However, when I do this, and then sort the data after it is updated, the cell colour moves with the data. Is there any way to select the cell background colour permanantly so that it is not tied to the data for when I sort it? Try this: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "Matt-e-gee" <Matt-e-gee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1D21578-DB7E-483F-AE9F-E64DFB1FEE0B@microsof...

possible to default?: Format Comment > Alignment > Automatic Size
Rather than selecting the "Automatic Size" for each cell comment ONE AT A TIME, is it possible to set your options so that all cell comments start out with the automatic size feature enabled? Thank you. The change comments at one time with a macro http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm#resize To catch comments and resize them when the workbook is opened see Stephen Bullen's reply in http://groups.google.com/groups?th=4e1723a41570510d --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/exc...

If statment problem
I have Excel 2000 I am trying to make this IF statement work. What I want to do is if H44 equals a number 1 to whatever then use colum N44 if H44 equals 0 then use O44 =IF(H44=0,0,IF(OR(H44=N44,IF(OR(H44=O44)))) -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/201005/1 =if(h44=0,o44,if(h44>0,n44,"whatever")) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Cerealkiller via OfficeKB.com" <u59737@uwe> wrote in message news:a8b088e35664e@uwe... >I have Excel 2000 I am try...

How can I delete the apostrophe in the cell
I received the data in Excel that in som cells they put ' (apostrophe) in front of text or number. How can I remove this apostrophe. Mass removing though. Seems that the find/replacing doesn't work. Thanks, Hi Enter 1 in an unused cell, and copy it. Select cells with your data goto Edit > PasteSpecial > Select "Multiply" > Ok Hopes this helps. --- Per "msnews.microsoft.com" <boonyawat.la-ongthong@cnh.com> skrev i meddelelsen news:exH5ymDnJHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I received the data in Excel that in som cells they put ' (ap...

Picture It problem printing
Joanne Paules or Uncle Grumpy --- Can you direct me to the thread where I can post this issue? I would really appreciate it. Thank You -- Jawone48 jawone48 <jawone48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Joanne Paules or Uncle Grumpy --- Can you direct me to the thread where I >can post this issue? I would really appreciate it. Thank You microsoft.public.pictureit If you don't use a news reader or your ISP doesn't carry that group, try google groups:. http://tinyurl.com/ysyxco ...

Outlook scroll problem
Outlook XP used to be able to scroll the folders list window but now only the mail in the folder will scroll. Is there a setting or fix for this? ...

attachment problem of OUTLOOK 2000
HI everybady, When i send the mail with attachement to some somebody (external and internal parties). Some external parties can't not recevied my attachement. I had try repaired my pst file and then created new personal folder in outlook. The desktop PC will been change to new one. Could you tell me what problem ? Thanks your help. Make sure the message format is set to plain text (or html) and disable Word as your e-mail editor. This is all done through Tools | Options | Mail Format. "AnD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d68101c43a5a...

How to delete numeric characters in a cell with alpha numeric char
Hi, I have a spreadsheet populated with the following type of data: xyz,"90,500","110,000" xyz2,"33,100","18,100" Its 200 cells and all have a mix of the above characters, it was imported from a system so appears like this. I need to tidy up the data so it removes everything besides the letters i.e. xyz should remain but all the numbers and special characters like " " and , should be removed. Dont think text2columns will work or the =LEN formula. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ...

Credit Card, FoodStamp, EBT, Debit Card . Reciept Formats and Setu
Hi all ... Thank you for answers :) So here ara my questions ... I'm using RMS 1.3 Refresh 1 Smart payments addon for card transactions. So everything is kinda fine, but ... 1. I need to change transaction details font size , first, I jusr read that after editing reciept I have to reassign receipt format in register printer settings. I will try it. Any other Ideas ? 2. For credit card transactions I have this problem. My reciepts are printed for signature , and just a regular reciept which shows only products , subtotal, tax, and so on . So I need the information that printed ...

Problems with clicking on email link on a web page
When I click on an email link on a web page I get this message: "Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed." Windows Live Mail is the only email account I have. What should I do? Thank you for your help. It's not interested in Accounts, it is interested in a Mail program installed on your PC. Are you using the Windows Live Mail (WLM) program or the Hotmail website? If in doubt, while reading an e-mail message do a Help (ALT+H). In the menu the pops-up, the last item will say "About Microsoft Windows Liv...

Conditional Formatting Help
I have a form that uses a yes/no tickbox. When the tickbox is selected, the records on the form are locked. I would like to create a conditional format for the records to shade grey when the yes/no box is ticked. I've tried selecting the records, open conditional formatting, under condition 1, creating an expression that says "Archive"=-1. Archive is the control source of the tickbox. I assumed -1 would relate to yes/ticked. I've also tried "Archive"=True. Thanks in advance. Chad Chad, You need to refer to the Name property of the checkbox...

"how can i format all the comments in a worksheet together?"
Maybe you can borrow some code from Debra Dalgleish: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html She has lots of samples. Maybe you'll find something that helps you. Ammu wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

dll problem
Friends, When I'm in outlook and try to use an email link, I get the following: c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\setuprsc.dll not found. Any ideas. Thanks for your help ...