Cannot Open Office Documents from the Desktop

Hi,

Can someone tell me why I cannot open office documents
from my desktop? The system has recently been formated and
a new install of Windows XP and Office XP have been
installed. All security patches for both products have
been installed/updated. When I double click a doc from the
desktop, nothing opens. If I launch the program like Word
or Excel, I can open the doc with no problem. What wouldbe
causing this problem? I have tried resetting and switching
probably all settings in Windows and Office with no fix.

Try this Gregg

Tools>Options>General  uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

On the Windows Taskbar
Close Excel
Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2002 SP-2)

"Gregg" <bogosiangs@npt.nuwc.navy.mil> wrote in message news:049401c3813e$3578a3c0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me why I cannot open office documents
> from my desktop? The system has recently been formated and
> a new install of Windows XP and Office XP have been
> installed. All security patches for both products have
> been installed/updated. When I double click a doc from the
> desktop, nothing opens. If I launch the program like Word
> or Excel, I can open the doc with no problem. What wouldbe
> causing this problem? I have tried resetting and switching
> probably all settings in Windows and Office with no fix.

0
rondebruin (3790)

IM SOP (Invoice) Document Number
I am bringing invoice information from another system into GP via integration manager. all works well with the exception of the Document Number/Invoice Number; I am using default; which creates a new number for each invoice item. does anyone have a vbscript that can be used to get the next invoice number for a client and use that number for all items coming in for that client during the integration. there would be multiple invoice items per client and multiple clients per integration. can anyone point me in the right direction or have a script(s) to handle this. thanks Do you have eCo...

Office 2004 on Intel works, for a while, then apps will not launch
Hello all! I searched previous posts extensively before posting. But my problem does not seem to come from corrupted fonts or preferences. Problem : Office apps work fine after a reboot, but eventually, I become unable to relaunch them. I have to reboot again to get them to work. Details : MacBook Pro, 1gig of ram. Office 2004 11.2.6. OS 10.4.7. I'll open Entourage, work a bit, close it, and then I can't open it anymore. The splash screen does not even appear completely (white rectangle). Console gives : ***** Date/Time: 2006-08-09 12:03:11.089 -0400 OS Version: 10.4.7 (...

Office 2003 rollout
I am trying to roll out Office 2003 using an MST file - deployed from System Center Essentials. The installation is successful on the workstation, and SCE reports the installation as successful. However upon reboot the workstation says that it needs the Office install again. I pretty much accepted the defaults in creating the MST file using the Resource Kit's Custom Installation Wizard. I did make a few changes to the product features, but that's about it. Initially I did have the MST configured to remove any prior versions of Office but suspected that this could...

Open with list
I clicked on an .MP4 file, and noticed the "open with" list did not have iTunes. No big deal, I could select iTunes from my Applications, but why is it not on that list - and how can I add it to that list? Registering programs with the "Open With" dialog: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openwithadd.htm ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:43:59 -0600, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote: >I clicked on an .MP4 file, and noticed th...

Clean Install Documentation
Hey, i was wondering if anyone has seen online or posted their steps of SBS 2008 clean install steps that they prefer to get a system running perfect before bringing on clients...i've done clean installs on clients a ton and have little steps i take that make it better from the start, but am undertaking an SBS 2008 install and wanted to make sure i had everything going great from the start - specifically those little steps that are sometimes undocumented, like back in the day with SBS 2003 / Exchange you needed to do the registery fix to allow your mail to go to 75 gig...or the one...

How do you activate the "Open as read-only?" dialogue prompt box?
I used to know how in XP but in Vista I cannot find it... ...

Receiving XML Documents
Hi, I'm setting up a service that receives a XML document, validates the document using a schema and then returns a simple result. I wanted to ask what the best way is of doing this, that is sending the xml document. So far I've come across 2 way's: 1. Create a webservice that accepts a XMLNode. 2. Use HttpWebRequest to send the document as a stream. The service would be written in .NET but the clients can be written in any programing language. Thanks, EG elguapo, Since interoperability is important in your case (your #2 requirement), it is not suggested that you send any d...

How can I make my document into less mb for email
I have created a document that is 143 pages. It will not send in email. I need it to be a smaller megabite version to send. How can I do that? Create a PDF. Can't guarantee it will be really small, but it should be smaller than a Publisher file. There are free PDF conversion applications around. www.primopdf.com is mentioned here. If you have Publisher 2007 there is an Office PDF add-in. 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP htt...

Receivable Document Date
I noticed for a past transaction that a receivable was post dated while the posting date was the correct date. What is the best way to correct this? Can I do this through the database? Lynn, The best way to do this is to void the original transaction and re- enter it. This will provide a complete audit trail. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com What is your Posting Setup? Is it "Post To GL" or "Post Thru' GL"? In case of "Post To GL", it is possible as the posting of Receivable could be in a past date and t...

Macro to open non-Visio document on double-click
When I double-click an object in my flowchart I would like to open up a Word document or an Excel Document, but I can't see that there is an easy way to do this. Looking under the Double-Click behavior of a shape I see that I can assign a macro to run upon double-click, but I don't know how to create a new one. Can I create a macro or Visual Basic script in the Standard version of Vision that I have which would perform the "Open Document" task that I need done? visio's integration with M$ office is a common desire. there are a couple of good examples on how to ...

How do you use the Livescribe smartpen with MS Office products?
I just received a Pulse Smartpen as a gift and I love it. I am curious about how other users of Office products utilize their smartpen features with Office ...

Reintstalling Office 03 on a new machine, Excel does not appear
Hi, Had to put a new hard drive in my notebook, and reinstall XP home and all my software. Reinstalled Office from original disks, and most of it works. Word is fine. However Excel does not appear in Start/All Programs or anywhere else. Tried three times. What's up? Mike Try Start>Run excel.exe Anything? When you re-installed was it a "typical" or a "custom"? Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/remove programs. Scroll down to Office 2003 and change/remove. Select change. Follow your nose from there and you can see if Excel has been installed. Hav...

Error opening File
I keep getting the message "Publisher cannot open files from a different version". I am running PUB'98 and assume that the files are in '97 format but cannot find a way to open them or import them. If I try selecting file from the Pub browser then it can preview the object but I still cannot open it. Please help someone as this is getting damn frustrating! Thanks What makes you "assume" the files are Pub 97? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jim hooper" <JH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ceb01c47f26$b2636640$...

After Closing a Personal Folder, How do you Re-Open it?
My boss closed a personal folder and we can't see it now to re-open it? Any one got any ideas? Thanks File > Open... -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Tom Storm" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2d2401c49b4a$9ce3da80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My boss closed a personal folder and we can't see it now > to re-open it? Any one got any ideas? > > Thanks ...

I open 2007 file, it opens as .ppt (2003) read only
When I open up my 2007 files .pptx by double-clicking on it, it opens as a ..ppt (Read Only) (Compatibility Mode). I then have to do a "save as" 2007 file. However, when I open it by doing file-open - it opens as a 2007 file. Does anyone know why yhis happens and if there is a preference I can set to have them open as 2007 files when I double-click on it? Thanks in advance! -- Marc One solution would be right clicking the file and selecting properties and going to the " General" tab and changing the program it uses to open as a default(i am not aware...

How do I open my own 'safe' attachments I have emailed through ou.
I have just purchased a new computer with new Outlook Express. But for some reason I can't open the word doc. attachments I have sent with my emails. An OE message comes up saying that access is denied because they are unsafe. They aren't unsafe - they are just simple word text docs. Help please! Open Outlook Express and select Tools | Options | Security tab and uncheck the second option from the top concerning attachments. "LizJ" <LizJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5741CCF9-D1A8-429F-9315-EB3043C7CB45@microsoft.com... > I have just purchas...

open a published PDF file with a non PDF assigned application
Hi, I want to publish a wod document to PDF and open the published file with an application that is not the one that is assigned to the PDF extension. Is there a way to configure my word/office 2007 to open a specific application for PDF files? Thanks Talyas On May 27, 3:48=A0am, Talyas <Tal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I want to publish a wod document to PDF and open the published file with = an > application that is not the one that is assigned to the PDF extension. > > Is there a way to configure my word/office 2007 to open a specific > app...

Can't Open Item after Exchange 2003 Enterprise Install
I just installed a new Windows 2003 Enterprise Server with Exchnage 2003 Enterprise and some of my users have a problem opening some email messages. They get the error "Can't Open Item" Once they close Outlook XP SP-2, reopen Outlook and then try, they can open the email. This may happen to them 3 or more times a day. Any ideas? Thanks Brice P. Duffy Manager of Information Systems Mackall, Crounse & Moore, PLC bpd@mcmlaw.com What version of outlook? "Brice Duffy" <bpd@mcmlaw.com> wrote in message news:utKQV$$KFHA.1608@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... &...

Outlook 2003
I've noticed that periodically when I try to open a message in my Inbox that the email window opens behind the Outlook window so I have to minimize Outlook to see the message. Essentially, the message window does not become the active window on top when I open a message. I found no help in the Knowledge Base, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Vicky Sandvig ...

Slow to open /close
Hi all Just recently I am having problems with Excel, and the speed at which it opens and closes. It can take up to 20 seconds to close. Version is Excel 2000, OS is ME, 256 RAM, 1100 Mhz. All other programs seem normal, have no viruses or malware, and no add-ins checked in Tools > Add-ins. It used to open and close like greased lightening, has anyone any ideas? -- George Hi George, Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm particular items such as clearing out your IE cache, making sure you don't have Outlook Journalling (log file) Perhaps you added ma...

Office on my notebook
Hi all I have a copy of Office Home and Student 2007 which is on my home PC. My lovely boyfriend has bought me a Notebook for Christmas, and I'd like to upload my copy of Office onto it, if possible. Obviously, I haven't got a CD drive on my Notebook though and I'm not sure how else to do it? Do I need to buy an external CD drive to do it or is there somewhere on the Office website to do it? Thanks in advance for your help. Caroline 1) External cd/dvd drive 2) Install over a network 3) Copy complete installation cd to usb drive "Caroline" <...

Any method to copy the hyperlink address from an Office Object?
Any method to copy the address content only from a hyperlinked Office Object and paste the same to a cell? You cannot copy the link address directly through Excel build-in menu . you need to use VBA code to do that. "Narnimar" wrote: > Any method to copy the address content only from a hyperlinked Office Object > and paste the same to a cell? Maybe you could use a userdefined function to extract the hyperlink from the cells that have them. Option Explicit Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String Application.Volatile Set Rng = Rng(1) If...

office service pack
Hi, I have installed Office X on my G4. Now I want to upgrade the installation as I want to hook up Entourage to Exchange. However, when I install the service packs (in order, coming up to v 10.1.5, I am asked to enter my serial # again. I do this but get a message that the serial # is not valid - what's going on, anyone have any ideas? Christoph In article <vttvq09t4upp63@corp.supernews.com>, "Christoph Lutz" <Christoph.Lutz@mycompany.com> wrote: > I have installed Office X on my G4. Now I want to upgrade the installation > as I want to hook up Entoura...

Need an Offic e 2010 book?
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_press/archive/2010/01/20/free-ebook-first-look-microsoft-office-2010.aspx ...

AfxMessageBox not opening correct help topic?
In my application just after I call OpenDocumentFile on a doc template to instantiate a new doc/view frame window, I call AfxMessageBox under certain conditions. I add the MB_HELP style flag and pass an id for the help context. It seems however that when I hit the Help button, my application's help is opened to the section for the newly-created frame window and not the section I specified as the parameter in AfxMessageBox. I can't seem to figure out why. I put breakpoints all over the MFC code relating to help and none of them hit. In CWinApp::ShowAppMessageBox, either the owner frame&...