cannot open excel file - error log created

I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday 
(it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of 
Macro settings):

"EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created."

I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one 
modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log.  Here's the entry I 
get from the log file:

"Application exception occurred:
        App:  (pid=624)
        When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290
        Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> System Information <----*
        Computer Name: 
        User Name: 
        Number of Processors: 1
        Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
        Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
        Current Build: 2195
        Service Pack: 4
        Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
        Registered Organization:
        Registered Owner:

*----> Task List <----*
   0 Idle.exe
   8 System.exe
 144 SMSS.exe
 168 CSRSS.exe
 188 WINLOGON.exe
 216 SERVICES.exe
 228 LSASS.exe
 412 svchost.exe
 448 spoolsv.exe
 496 cisvc.exe
 488 svchost.exe
 572 regsvc.exe
 600 mstask.exe
 696 stisvc.exe
 764 WinMgmt.exe
 776 svchost.exe
 336 explorer.exe
1024 hpgs2wnd.exe
 936 ViewMgr.exe
 928 acrotray.exe
 864 WZQKPICK.exe
 916 hpgs2wnf.exe
 288 OUTLOOK.exe
 632 MAPISP32.exe
1156 cidaemon.exe
 624 EXCEL.exe
 308 DRWTSN32.exe
   0 _Total.exe"

also, at the end of nearly every "stack back trace" list, the following 
"function names" are generated:

"ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects
kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjects
kernel32!lstrcmpiW"

I don't think that has anyting to contribute, except that the kernel32 part 
scares me a bit.....

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much info down as 
possible.....
0
Joe (497)
6/6/2005 3:49:24 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

3 Replies
588 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

I have to ask if that is your task list when Excel is not open. If so then 
it should not show up and that means you have multiple sessions running. If 
that is the case then close the one showing up in the tasks.

I would assume you have already rebooted but if not then please do so.

Hopefully that helps
LWhite

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:93582411-0C97-4705-A1B8-85FDD9BD3B62@microsoft.com...
>I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday
> (it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of
> Macro settings):
>
> "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
> You will need to restart the program.
>
> An error log is being created."
>
> I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one
> modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log.  Here's the entry 
> I
> get from the log file:
>
> "Application exception occurred:
>        App:  (pid=624)
>        When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290
>        Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
>
> *----> System Information <----*
>        Computer Name:
>        User Name:
>        Number of Processors: 1
>        Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
>        Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
>        Current Build: 2195
>        Service Pack: 4
>        Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
>        Registered Organization:
>        Registered Owner:
>
> *----> Task List <----*
>   0 Idle.exe
>   8 System.exe
> 144 SMSS.exe
> 168 CSRSS.exe
> 188 WINLOGON.exe
> 216 SERVICES.exe
> 228 LSASS.exe
> 412 svchost.exe
> 448 spoolsv.exe
> 496 cisvc.exe
> 488 svchost.exe
> 572 regsvc.exe
> 600 mstask.exe
> 696 stisvc.exe
> 764 WinMgmt.exe
> 776 svchost.exe
> 336 explorer.exe
> 1024 hpgs2wnd.exe
> 936 ViewMgr.exe
> 928 acrotray.exe
> 864 WZQKPICK.exe
> 916 hpgs2wnf.exe
> 288 OUTLOOK.exe
> 632 MAPISP32.exe
> 1156 cidaemon.exe
> 624 EXCEL.exe
> 308 DRWTSN32.exe
>   0 _Total.exe"
>
> also, at the end of nearly every "stack back trace" list, the following
> "function names" are generated:
>
> "ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects
> kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjects
> kernel32!lstrcmpiW"
>
> I don't think that has anyting to contribute, except that the kernel32 
> part
> scares me a bit.....
>
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much info down as
> possible..... 


0
lwhite (8)
6/6/2005 6:04:34 PM
That's the task list at the time the error occurs (to the best of my 
understanding).  Both immediately before and after I try to open the file, 
excel.exe is not running and therefore not part of the task list.

"L.White" wrote:

> I have to ask if that is your task list when Excel is not open. If so then 
> it should not show up and that means you have multiple sessions running. If 
> that is the case then close the one showing up in the tasks.
> 
> I would assume you have already rebooted but if not then please do so.
> 
> Hopefully that helps
> LWhite
> 
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:93582411-0C97-4705-A1B8-85FDD9BD3B62@microsoft.com...
> >I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday
> > (it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of
> > Macro settings):
> >
> > "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
> > You will need to restart the program.
> >
> > An error log is being created."
> >
> > I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one
> > modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log.  Here's the entry 
> > I
> > get from the log file:
> >
> > "Application exception occurred:
> >        App:  (pid=624)
> >        When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290
> >        Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
> >
> > *----> System Information <----*
> >        Computer Name:
> >        User Name:
> >        Number of Processors: 1
> >        Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
> >        Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
> >        Current Build: 2195
> >        Service Pack: 4
> >        Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
> >        Registered Organization:
> >        Registered Owner:
> >
> > *----> Task List <----*
> >   0 Idle.exe
> >   8 System.exe
> > 144 SMSS.exe
> > 168 CSRSS.exe
> > 188 WINLOGON.exe
> > 216 SERVICES.exe
> > 228 LSASS.exe
> > 412 svchost.exe
> > 448 spoolsv.exe
> > 496 cisvc.exe
> > 488 svchost.exe
> > 572 regsvc.exe
> > 600 mstask.exe
> > 696 stisvc.exe
> > 764 WinMgmt.exe
> > 776 svchost.exe
> > 336 explorer.exe
> > 1024 hpgs2wnd.exe
> > 936 ViewMgr.exe
> > 928 acrotray.exe
> > 864 WZQKPICK.exe
> > 916 hpgs2wnf.exe
> > 288 OUTLOOK.exe
> > 632 MAPISP32.exe
> > 1156 cidaemon.exe
> > 624 EXCEL.exe
> > 308 DRWTSN32.exe
> >   0 _Total.exe"
> >
> > also, at the end of nearly every "stack back trace" list, the following
> > "function names" are generated:
> >
> > "ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects
> > kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjects
> > kernel32!lstrcmpiW"
> >
> > I don't think that has anyting to contribute, except that the kernel32 
> > part
> > scares me a bit.....
> >
> > Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much info down as
> > possible..... 
> 
> 
> 
0
Joe (497)
6/6/2005 6:18:02 PM
Saved from a previous post:
===========================

I think you're gonna have to do some detective work.

Maybe it's the workbook, maybe it's really excel.

If it only occurs with this one workbook, then I'd bet it wasn't excel.  If it
happens with other workbooks, too, then maybe Help|Detect and repair (or
reinstalling) would help.

If it's only this one workbook, then maybe it's the workbook that's corrupted. 
It seems like each version of excel is sensitive to slightly different stuff. 
(xl2k could have trouble, xl2002 may not--in fact, lots of people have reported
that xl2002 can open files that xl97 or xl2k couldn't.)

Maybe you could try to find a copy of xl2002+ to see if opening|saving it there
would help.

And if it is a corrupted workbook, you may want to try openoffice.  Lots of
people have said that it's recovered workbooks that excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services.  I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

=============
Some more info.

Sometimes, it's not the workbook itself that's causing the problem.

If you start excel in safe mode:
close excel
windows start button|Run
Excel /safe

The file|open your workbook,

does it work ok?

If yes, then maybe it's the file that holds the toolbar customizations that's
damaged.

Close excel
windows start button|search (or find)
*.xlb
(Look for hidden files in hidden folders, too)

Rename all of them to *.xlbOLD.

Start excel normally and see if it works ok.

If yes, then dump those *.xlbOLD files and customize your toolbar at your
leisure.

If there's still problems, then close excel and rename the *.xlbOLD files back
to *.xlb (no harm, no foul!).

If you want to read more...

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm



Joe wrote:
> 
> I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday
> (it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of
> Macro settings):
> 
> "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
> You will need to restart the program.
> 
> An error log is being created."
> 
> I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one
> modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log.  Here's the entry I
> get from the log file:
> 
> "Application exception occurred:
>         App:  (pid=624)
>         When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290
>         Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
> 
> *----> System Information <----*
>         Computer Name:
>         User Name:
>         Number of Processors: 1
>         Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
>         Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
>         Current Build: 2195
>         Service Pack: 4
>         Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
>         Registered Organization:
>         Registered Owner:
> 
> *----> Task List <----*
>    0 Idle.exe
>    8 System.exe
>  144 SMSS.exe
>  168 CSRSS.exe
>  188 WINLOGON.exe
>  216 SERVICES.exe
>  228 LSASS.exe
>  412 svchost.exe
>  448 spoolsv.exe
>  496 cisvc.exe
>  488 svchost.exe
>  572 regsvc.exe
>  600 mstask.exe
>  696 stisvc.exe
>  764 WinMgmt.exe
>  776 svchost.exe
>  336 explorer.exe
> 1024 hpgs2wnd.exe
>  936 ViewMgr.exe
>  928 acrotray.exe
>  864 WZQKPICK.exe
>  916 hpgs2wnf.exe
>  288 OUTLOOK.exe
>  632 MAPISP32.exe
> 1156 cidaemon.exe
>  624 EXCEL.exe
>  308 DRWTSN32.exe
>    0 _Total.exe"
> 
> also, at the end of nearly every "stack back trace" list, the following
> "function names" are generated:
> 
> "ntdll!NtWaitForMultipleObjects
> kernel32!WaitForMultipleObjects
> kernel32!lstrcmpiW"
> 
> I don't think that has anyting to contribute, except that the kernel32 part
> scares me a bit.....
> 
> Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get as much info down as
> possible.....

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
6/6/2005 9:43:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to export Notes to Excel
Hi all, I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? Thanks -- phumulaniluyandacollinlembede Navigate to Advanced Find and select 'Notes', then export as necessary/appropriate.... -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "Phumulani" wrote: > Hi all, > > I would like to export notes contacts with their associated notes. How do i > do this in crm 4.0 as i dont see the notes column to add on my view? > > Thanks > -- > phumulaniluyandacollinlembede ...

Excel not Access
I have designed an Access database that holds records relating to my stores audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month, however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this and prodce a similar pack in Excel. The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date range that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of excel templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would be grateful for any suggestion...

Error Generating the Offlice Address Book
I have a mixed site with 3 5.5 server and 4 2003 servers. I installed 2003 SP1 a few weeks back and since then I'm having an issue generating my Offline Address Book. Here the event log messages I'm getting. Event ID 9331: OALGen encountered error 80040107 (internal ID 501023d) accessing the public folder store while generating the offline address list for address list '/'. - Default Offline Address List For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Event ID 9335: OALGen encountered error 80040107 while cleaning the offline address list public ...

XCH Error 3092, OAB replication
I am getting error 3092 for OAB in Exchnage 2003 (migrated from 5.5) "Error 1129 occurred while processing a replication event. Folder: (3-8) NON_IPM_SUBTREE\OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK\EX:/o" Tried to delete offilne addressbook and recreate but error has not stopped. Any help will be a great help on where to look to get rid of this issue. Thanks ...

How to keep format when importing Excel into SQL.
Can anybody help me please? When I import Excel file into SQL, a field that formated as 0000000000 (custom), loosing leading zeros. I tried to change data type in SQL after importing. No luck. I appretiate any help. See if using IMEX=1 helps: http://pratchev.blogspot.com/2007/10/importing-excel-data-into-sql-server.html -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com Plamen, I tried this, but got an error: "The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" has not been registered." Thank you very much for looking into this. "Plamen Ratchev" wr...

MS Money 95 data files
I hope that some one can answer this for me. I have used MS Money 95 for years, and it works just fine for me on Windows XP, however, I now have to reformat my hard drive, and have discovered that I can nolonger find my original install disk. Will the latest versions of Money still read the MS Money 95 data files. All that I have ever used the program for is to track my investments, and am unlikely to do any different in the future. Thanks Stan B In microsoft.public.money, Stan Banner wrote: >I hope that some one can answer this for me. >I have used MS Money 95 for years, and...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.
Each time i try to enter a number range, for example, 8- 10, in Excel, it constantly re-formats it to a date. If I change the formatting to "General" it turns it into a random number, usually 38209. I would like to turn off ALL auto-formatting, but that's probably asking too much. How do I disable this frustrating feature? thanks. Hi Paul When you enter "8-10" in a cell, that's not strictly a number but Excel thinks you mean a date so converts it as such. A date is a number and in your example the number 38209 represents August 10 2004 which is not a ra...

Input Excel 'Password to Open' through control in access form
Hi All, We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. ...

Create a distribution list from addresses in the 'To' list
Hi all, I belong to a social group, and our co-ordinator sends out an email from time to time with all the latest addresses in the To list. I already have a distribution list for the group, which then needs to be checked through and updated. Is there a simple way of transferring those addresses into my own distribution list? I'm using Outlook 2002. Everybody's fiddling around with bits of paper - I'll be a hero if I can make it easy for them! Thanks. Astley http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041105.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Astley" <ast@...

Error: Invalid byte was found at byte index 63.
Does anyone know what this means: "Invalid byte was found at byte index 63. " If yes, please help. Apogee Apogee wrote: > Does anyone know what this means: > > "Invalid byte was found at byte index 63. " That means exactly what it says: At index 63 XML parser found a byte, which is invalid either according document's encoding or is forbidden in XML documents at all (see list of allowed in XML characters at http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#charsets) -- Oleg Tkachenko http://www.tkachenko.com/blog Multiconn Technologies, Israel ...

Excel 2007
When I select cells to copy as a picture in Excel 2007, the resolution is terrible. Text and objects with shadow's are very blotchy when pasting the picture. How do you change the resolution of a 'Copy Picture'? ...

Creating new attributes
When using Schema Manager to create new attributes, I'm not able to create a new attribute with "Lookup" as type, "Lookup" is not availabe as one of the type options. But yet some of the exist fields, for example, in Account table came with "Lookup" as type. Why? Is there a work-around? Please help. Thanks. You cannot add custom lookup's to the current release of MSCRM. The only way around is to build a custom .aspx page and build your own. Might be possible in the next release. "HEC" wrote: > When using Schema Manager to crea...

Planned Open Market Days
A spreadsheet named "NYSE Holidays" contains NYSE Planned Holidays for 2005 and 2006; containing data in columns A and B: New Year's Day 01/01/05 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 01/17/05 Washington's Birthday 02/21/05 Good Friday 03/25/05 Memorial Day 05/30/05 Independence Day 07/04/05 Labor Day 09/05/05 Thanksgiving Day 11/24/05 Christmas 12/26/05 New Year's Day 01/02/06 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 01/16/06 Washington's Birthday 02/20/06 Good Friday 04/14/06 Memorial Day 05/29/06 Independence Day 07/04/06 Labor Day 09/04/06 Thanksgiving Day 11/23/06 Christmas 12/25/06 ...

adding name /creating field/query?
Hello, I can create an invoice_number field in a query using the primary field ID from the main table as invoice_number: ID but if ID say is 100, I cannot work out how to create renewal_invoice_100 Cheers Geoff Geoff We aren't there. We can't see what you're looking at. Where did "renewal_invoice_100" come from and what does it mean? Please post the SQL statement of the query you are trying to use. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://micro...

How do I use traffic lights in excel
I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the result of a variance cell, ie if the result of the cell is 10 make the traffic light green, if it is 20 make the traffic light amber, if the result is 30 make the traffic light red. How do I do this? Shorty Format>Conditional Formatting>Cell Value is: Note: you can add up to 3 conditions(4 if you count default) Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:35:03 -0800, Shorty <Shorty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am wanting to use traffic lights in excel that change colour based on the &g...

Drag and Drop file/directory names on Tree Control.
hi, I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree control the file name/folder name should be add in the tree control item. User may drag and drop file from desktop or may be from directory. I just want the path of that file/foder name nothing else. so plz tell me will it be possible ... Plz Help me............. Klic..... > I am writing an application in which i have one Tree control. >Now i want that , when user drag & drop any file/folder on tree >control the file nam...

How To Copy MS Word mailing labels into Excel
I have a word doc that I want to put into Excel. I want to add some more fields to the names and addresses. Is this simple or do I have to learn how to program? Michael Rodriguez City of Grand Prairie Michael, have you tried to copy and paste the data into excel? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Michael Rodriguez" <mrodrigu@gptx.org> wrote in messa...

Opening Excel Workbooks
I'm running into an issue where if I click on an Excel file through My Documents, it doesn't automatically bring it up. I get the toolbar but the actual spreadsheet doesn't appear on the screen. I have to click on the taskbar to get it to pop up. If I already have Excel active and I open a file through Excel, this doesn't happen. Any ideas? Here is a similar thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237195 Rolli -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Take a look at Tools-Options-General tab- uncheck ignore other application...

Invalid XML error when I open customization setting
I have a problem when I try to open customization setting after I import an entity. The system errored "Invalid XML" "The XML passed to the platform is not well-formed XML". Please recommend how to resolve this problem. Thanks. ...

How to change font size on formula bar in Excell 2007
I don't find Tools>Options>General (as suggested in other post answers) in Excel 2007. On the Office button there is an Excel Options but it doesn't provide a method of changing font size on the office but. My font is so small I can barely see it. Office button>ExcelOptions>Popular tab>in the "When creating new workbooks" section, choose font and font size -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "jimwillie" <jimwillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588AAC05-0F52-404E-AA01-128E70E02D0B@microso...

How do I create several NEW templates from start to finish please?
Hi knowledgeable people. I am looking for instructions on how to create a range of basic templates that I can use, perhaps even by selecting them as 'stationery', for example; if I go to >New >Format >Apply stationery, or any other similar method. I can create new html stationery backgrounds, but this is NOT what I am looking for, as a lot of people still read email in plain text only...does this make sense? Plain text templates would be fine. I simply can't find any info on creating email templates anywhere to suit this Windows Live Mail Desktop versio...

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1
Hello all, After upgrading a VC7.1 project to visual studio 2005, it failed to build in the release configuration with the follwoing error : 1>nafxcw.lib(winocc.obj) : error LNK2005: "public: class CWnd * __thiscall CWnd::GetDlgItem(int)const " (?GetDlgItem@CWnd@@QBEPAV1@H@Z) already defined in InstallDlg.obj The debug build works fine. The project uses MFC in a static library. Well, after doing some research, it seems that this one is tied to the fact that in a release configuration, _AFX_ENABLE_INLINES is defined, so inline functions are embedded in the .obj file. Sure there...

Unexpected error message on closing an Excel file
Suddenly I am getting the following message when I try to close a workbook: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify that the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again" The mysterious thing is that it does not happen consistently and that, after I click OK after the above message, I can still save the file. What might be the cause of this error message and can the "invalid reference" be tracked down using one of the utility add-ins such as J. Walkenbach's PUP? If it only happens when you close ...

help with simple maths in excel
I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter. It is stuff like 2+2 =4 Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle... I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one. When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing an equation, is there a way around this? I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do that...a sound or som...

Excel Problem
I have a 23.8 meg excel 2000 spreadsheet set for manual calculation saved to my local hard drive. Every time I try to open it, it takes forver and sometimes never opens but I do not get any error messages, let me just tell you that I am running a P4, 1 GB memory, Office 2K with SP3, and nothing else running when I try to open it. As I said it is set for manual calculation, and it is cleared to not auto calculate when opening or closing. Any idea's as to why this is happening? -- Todd I don't know why you're having this problem but I would like to point something out for w...