Can you help a NEWBIE please

Hi,

I need a little help, as I'm trying to help my father with a
spreadsheet but have got stuck. I have 2 Columns, TransactionID and
TransactionCode.

5	T
5	AA
6	H
6	BB
7	AA
7	T
8	T
8	BB

What I want to be able to do it to create/compute a 3rd column based on
the other 2. Now this is where I am getting stuck. The Rule is that for
a TransactionCode of T or H this needs to be changed to either a "AA"
or BB depending on what the other value is for the same Transaction ID.
ie this would be the final output.

5	T	AA
5	AA	AA
6	H	BB
6	BB	BB
7	AA	AA
7	T	AA
8	T	BB
8	BB	BB

The sort of code I was think was something like this pseudo code.

if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"
if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"

But I have no Idea how to make these references to a Row PLUS/MINUS the
one I am currently on.

Would someone be so kind as to help me?

Many Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Thanks.

--
flub
flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322

I think I'd actually create a new worksheet with just the Id and the codes for
the ones I wanted.

Then I could use =vlookup() to return that code.

=vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)

But if all the codes to keep are length 2 and all the codes to ignore are not
length 2, then put this in C1:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$8,MATCH(1,($A$1:$A$8=A8)*(LEN($B$1:$B$8)=2),0))

This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.))

flub wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a little help, as I'm trying to help my father with a
> spreadsheet but have got stuck. I have 2 Columns, TransactionID and
> TransactionCode.
>
> 5       T
> 5       AA
> 6       H
> 6       BB
> 7       AA
> 7       T
> 8       T
> 8       BB
>
> What I want to be able to do it to create/compute a 3rd column based on
> the other 2. Now this is where I am getting stuck. The Rule is that for
> a TransactionCode of T or H this needs to be changed to either a "AA"
> or BB depending on what the other value is for the same Transaction ID.
> ie this would be the final output.
>
> 5       T       AA
> 5       AA      AA
> 6       H       BB
> 6       BB      BB
> 7       AA      AA
> 7       T       AA
> 8       T       BB
> 8       BB      BB
>
> The sort of code I was think was something like this pseudo code.
>
> if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
> if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"
> if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
> if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"
>
> But I have no Idea how to make these references to a Row PLUS/MINUS the
> one I am currently on.
>
> Would someone be so kind as to help me?
>
> Many Many thanks in advance.
>
> Mike
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> flub
> flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499850

--

Dave Peterson
0

=if(B2="T","AA",if(B2="H","BB",B2))
and copy down.

HTH,

"flub" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need a little help, as I'm trying to help my father with a
> spreadsheet but have got stuck. I have 2 Columns, TransactionID and
> TransactionCode.
>
> 5	T
> 5	AA
> 6	H
> 6	BB
> 7	AA
> 7	T
> 8	T
> 8	BB
>
> What I want to be able to do it to create/compute a 3rd column based on
> the other 2. Now this is where I am getting stuck. The Rule is that for
> a TransactionCode of T or H this needs to be changed to either a "AA"
> or BB depending on what the other value is for the same Transaction ID.
> ie this would be the final output.
>
> 5	T	AA
> 5	AA	AA
> 6	H	BB
> 6	BB	BB
> 7	AA	AA
> 7	T	AA
> 8	T	BB
> 8	BB	BB
>
> The sort of code I was think was something like this pseudo code.
>
> if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
> if Cx = C(x-1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"
> if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "AA" then = "AA"
> if Cx = C(x+1) and Bx = "BB" then = "BB"
>
> But I have no Idea how to make these references to a Row PLUS/MINUS the
> one I am currently on.
>
> Would someone be so kind as to help me?
>
> Many Many thanks in advance.
>
> Mike
>

> Thanks.
>

> --
> flub
> flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499850

0
JimMay (35)
1/10/2006 6:49:02 PM
Put this in C1:

=INDEX($B$1:$B$8,MATCH(1,($A$1:$A$8=A1)*(LEN($B$1:$B$8)=2),0))

(I copied from the wrong cell, sorry.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
Jim May Wrote:
> Assume your first row   5    and    T
> are in cells A2 and B2 respectfully..
> In cell C2 enter:
>
> =if(B2="T","AA",if(B2="H","BB",B2))
> and copy down.

Thanks Jim. I did that and it NEARLY worked.The output was as shown
below.

Transaction ID COMP CODE FINAL CODE
5 T AA
5 AA AA
6 H BB
6 BB BB
7 AA AA
7 T AA
8 T AA
8 BB BB

As you can see Transcation ID 8 has a FINAL CODE of AA and BB, it
should be just BB for both.

--

Dave Peterson Wrote:
> Put this in C1:
>
> =INDEX($B$1:$B$8,MATCH(1,($A$1:$A$8=A1)*(LEN($B$1:$B$8)=2),0))
>
> Dave Peterson

Dave I tried that and got a "#N/A".

I've uploaded my example file. It is very small ;)

|Filename: ExampleFLUB.zip                                          |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4200     |

flub
flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499850

I don't use excelforum, so I don't see your attachment--but I wouldn't open the
workbook anyway.

I'd guess that you didn't array enter the formula.

flub wrote:

> Dave Peterson Wrote:
> > Put this in C1:
> >
> > =INDEX($B$1:$B$8,MATCH(1,($A$1:$A$8=A1)*(LEN($B$1:$B$8)=2),0))
> >
> > Dave Peterson
>
> Dave I tried that and got a "#N/A".
>
> I've uploaded my example file. It is very small ;)

> |Filename: ExampleFLUB.zip                                          |
> |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4200     |

> flub
> flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499850

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
1/10/2006 7:32:49 PM
Try this in column C2 and copy down.
=IF(B2="T",IF(A2=A3,B3,B1),IF(B2="H",IF(A2=A3,B3,B1),B2))
Not a very elegant solution but should work for you.
--

"flub" wrote:

> Jim May Wrote:
> > Assume your first row   5    and    T
> > are in cells A2 and B2 respectfully..
> > In cell C2 enter:
> >
> > =if(B2="T","AA",if(B2="H","BB",B2))
> > and copy down.
>
> Thanks Jim. I did that and it NEARLY worked.The output was as shown
> below.
>
> Transaction ID COMP CODE FINAL CODE
> 5 T AA
> 5 AA AA
> 6 H BB
> 6 BB BB
> 7 AA AA
> 7 T AA
> 8 T AA
> 8 BB BB
>
> As you can see Transcation ID 8 has a FINAL CODE of AA and BB, it
> should be just BB for both.
>

> --
> flub
> flub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30322
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499850

0
MrC (5)
1/10/2006 8:10:05 PM
"flub" wrote:
> But I have no Idea how to make these references
> to a Row PLUS/MINUS the one I am currently on.

It might if someone answered your question(!).  One
way to do it (example: in C3):

=OFFSET(C3,-1,0)

See the OFFSET Help text for explanation and options.
I wrote:
> "flub" wrote:
> > But I have no Idea how to make these references
> > to a Row PLUS/MINUS the one I am currently on.
>
> It might if someone answered your question(!).  One
> way to do it (example: in C3):
> =OFFSET(C3,-1,0)

On second thought, if you can write C3, it is just as easy
to write C2 instead of the OFFSET(...) expression above.
But maybe OFFSET() will help you in some other way.
Sorry, I am not paying attention to your application.
Thanks for that. When using the Offset function how do I reference th
current cell that the formula is in.

In your example you use C3 etc but what if I want to place a formula i
any cell. How do I reference the "current" cell

--
flu

"flub" wrote:
> Thanks for that. When using the Offset function how
> do I reference the current cell that the formula is in.

That's what I was going for originally.  But I cannot remember,
if there is even a way.  I hope someone will answer your
question.

> In your example you use C3 etc but what if I want to
> place a formula in any cell. How do I reference the
> "current" cell.

I realized that you can simply refer to the current cell by
name.  When you copy the formula, the relative reference
will be updated to reflect the new cell location.  Won't that
work for you?

And that is when I realized, klunk!, that for the same reason,
there is really no need to use OFFSET() at all in this context
-- at least to the extent that I understand it (not much!).

If you start with "IF(C3 = C2, ...)" in C3, when you copy
that to C4, for example, it will be changed to "IF(C4 = C3, ...)".
If you copy it to Z7, it will be changed to "IF(Z7 = Z6, ...)".

But honestly, I am not sure if any of this meets your needs.
To be honest, I did not completely follow your requirements.
I suspect you want if-then-else contructs, not a sequence
of if-statements.  But as I said before, I am not paying close
enough attention to your application to really comment.
I should not have "butted in", and I wouldn't have were it
not for the fact that you seem to be at a dead-end with the
other ideas.  ("Killing an ant with a sledgehammer" comes
to mind.  But again, perhaps I am simply not familiar enough
with your requirements.)

I am not thinking clearly.  I just finished 3(!) hours of intense
exercise.

how many characters i can put into one cell in Excel
If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell of Excel, only a part of para show up in that cell. I tried wrap text, increase the height of the column. Nothing happen. Any one have idea about it or there are some limit to view in Excel in one cell Hi Search for 'specifications' in Help: It says '32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.' -- Andy. "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747E6CFE-88D9-4F4C-950E-56F0885C3096@microsoft.com... > If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell o...

Urgent Help Needed.
-- tmdrake On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:24:03 -0800, tmdrake <tdrake_98@yahoo.com> wrote: We'll be glad to help if you post a question. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Catagory Question Please
I would like to use my Outlook 2003 for repeating reminders. The instructions say I should use an appointment rather than a task to accomplish this. My question is, can I set the appointment to a certain category and then tell Outlook not to display that category as I don't want it to show in the regular monthly view? (Of course I want it display at the appropriate time) (Did that make sense?) Bob "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in news:mJlFd.15545$B95.10784@lakeread02: > I would like to use my Outlook 2003 for repeating reminders. The > instructions...

How can I change worksheet direction from right to left
I want to change the direction of the work sheet in Excel 2007 from left to right and vice versa If you mean you want to change the direction of the cursor on Enter, then click on the round logo top left, select Excel options, select Advanced, and change the direction to Left, Right, Up or Down as you desire. -- HTH Kassie Replace xxx with hotmail "Haitham" wrote: > I want to change the direction of the work sheet in Excel 2007 from left to > right and vice versa I believe the only way is to go through Microsoft Office Tools and make the setting ...

need some SQL Update Help
I have a Access 2000 db and I have these 2 tables. ArchInvoices --------------- InvoiceID - Primary Key - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - long SaleType - char(1) TransactionDate - DateTime Discount - Integer WholesaleFlag - Boolean PaymentMethod - Char(6) CustPONumber - Char(30) ShortName - Char(30) MdCountCode - char(2) TaxFreeID - char(30) Paid - Boolean FestInvoiceNumber - long The second Table is: ArchLineItems --------------- TransactionType - char(1) Units - integer UnitCost - Double BottleSize - Double LineItemId - PrimaryKey - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - Long - Foreign Key Field from Arc...

Users can't browse or see local site in GAL
My users cannot view RECIPIENTS CONTAINER objects, of our local EXCHANGE SITE, in the GAL. However they can still send email to users in our local site. Our site doesn't even show up in the GAL, but they can browse other Exchange Sites in the GAL. Now here's the kicker, Domain/Exchange Admins can view see the local site name in the GAL and browse to see the recipient containers within the local site. This leads me to believe that permission some how got screwed up. But, nothing jumps out at me! Thanks for the support, BR Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid...

CDC Help!
One of the common shapes that seems to be missing from the CDC members is the arrow. Is there a good way to do arrows? I need to create arrows around the circumference of a circle pointing toward the center of the circle. Any hints on how this is best done? Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- I'm not sure if CDC has any line caps. In the past I used GDI+ to draw arrows and different kind of line caps. IMHO, the default line caps don't scale very well, so ...

count between dates help (NETWORKDAYS)
Hello big brains I am trying to find the days and hours between 2 dates 2 columns of dates formated in M/D/YYYY hh:mm 4/23/2004 15:53 and 4/27/2004 10:43 I don't want to count weekends so I used NETWORKDAYS which works to a degree.. giving me 3 (which is days) but it's ignoring the time. I need it to be specific and have it show days and hours difference. I am suprised that it is ignoring it. Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with the dat being in this format. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Maybe this can give you some ideas http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.ht...

Function help needed urgently!!! #2
Hi anyone who can help... I have two sets of figures 1 is sales and 1 is target. Eg: Sales Target Incentive 5 5 In the Incentive column I want a formula that will calculate the Incentive payment for employees who exceed there target. The easy part is the if statement for example 10% of their sales if they exceed target: =if(sales>target,Sales*10%,0) The complicated part comes in to play when only when they hit multiples of 10 are they entitled to an incentive: If the Sales are 5 and the Target is 5 - no incentive. If the Sales are 10 and the Target is 5 - no incenti...

function pointer help!
I have a callback function void __stdcall CallBackFunc(int, int,double); And I need to have a pointer to it. void (*CallBack)(int,int,double); but the assignment doesn't work... CallBack = CallBackFunc; What am I doing wrong? Thanks as usual! Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- Try this instead void (_stdcall *CallBack)(int,int,double); AliR. "Ron H." <rnh@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4739f338$0$7517$8d2e0cab@news.newsgroup-binaries.co...

Combobox Help needed
Hello, I have been trying to populate a Combobox with a filter set to what is being typed in the combo's edit control. If I type in "C" it selects the first 40 "C" then I would like to type in "u" clear the listbox portion and put in the first 40 "Cu" etc.. I would need to clear only the combo's edit box but unfortunately ResetContent()also clears the edit box. It gets the first 40 "C" but then the edit box is cleared. I have also tried using DeleteString. void CCustView::OnEditupdateCombo1() { UpdateData(); if (i>0) { m_CbCust....

why can I not format a secondary axis in excel x?
Despite being able to graph data on a secondary axis in Microsoft Excel X, I have been unable to format said axis (ie make it start from a value other than zero). No amount of trying to click on and select the axis or the values has helped. Are you saying that double clicking does not bring up the Format dialog box for the axis? Try tapping the 'navigation (arrow) keys while watching the Name box. When it reads Secondary Value.... use the Format menu item to open the dialog box and then open the Scale tab to set the Min and Max values best wishes Bernard "mackie99" <...

How can I type more than one line of text into a cell in Excel?
I am using Excel to organize contact information, names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. I would like all of this information in one cell and in the standard format of: name address phone etc. I do not know how to make Excel accept more than one line of text, unless I cut and paste it from a Word document. Could someone please tell me how to format the cells so that more than one line of text can be accepted in a cell? Hi use ALT+ENTER for inserting line breaks -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "watermark" <watermark@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsb...

PLEASE HELP!!!!! MAcro Emergency
maybe now someone will help me?? noone has responded to my last 2 post so I am trying to figure it out myself, am trying to build a macro an need to select RELATIVE REFERENCE before I record it, that "sto recording" toolbar was there the first time i tried to record the macr with the button to select relative reference but now every time i try t record the macro that toolbar isnt there anymore and the macro wont wor unless i can first select relative reference, please help before i tak the sledge to this computer PLEASE!! -- RalphS -------------------------------------------------...

Help required on working with date
Hi I have dates in a column in dd-mmm-yy format, like 29-Mar-04 15-Apr-04 13-May-04 I want to put in the column adjecent to this date column the date starting with 1st day of each month like - 01-Mar-04 01-Apr-04 01-May-04 How can this be done by use of formula? I tried but do not get any clue to go futher. -Shanks Hi try =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1),1) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Shanks wrote: > Hi > > I have dates in a column in dd-mmm-yy format, like > > 29-Mar-04 > 15-Apr-04 > 13-May-04 > > I want to put in the column adjecent to this da...

A simple question..help!!!
Ok, i'm trying to e-mail with Outlook....now can someone please tell me what the heck happened to the SEND button???? I have searched and searched for it. Where is it?? Please anyone help me out here. Thanks. Amy Hi Amy, which Outlook are you using? 2000?2003?XP? Did you create first of all an email account? Without email account outlook won't show a send button, I think. Or perhabs it is hidden on the toolbar? Greetings Steffi "fireeyesamy" <fireeyesamy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09522C66-14EA-4EB1-B3EB-151209810942@microsoft.com... > O...

Excel Crash
Multiple users here have this same problem that whenever they open a particular Excel file, it gives them a "Send Report Error." Weird thing about it is it doesnt happen in all their Excel files, only happens to some of them. Also tried opening the very same file/s they are having problems with on my machine and it worked fine. I have patched Office (SP2), updated Acrobat Reader, updated signatures, uninstalled/reinstalled Office, and done all the possible troubleshooting on these machines but still error occurs. Any help appreciated, thanks! Isolate the problem as best yo...

how can i Back up folders??
How can I make a backup from folders and other information in outlook, So i can format my computer ? ThanX G'Day 'onymous, You don't tell us what version of Office you use. Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en This works with OL2000 onward. -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ Copy your pst-file to your safe location (separate harddisk/partition/USB-memory stick). Then after the format and reinstall of Window and Office connect to it by using File-> O...

How can i make backup automaticaly
Thank you for open this post. I Want to backup exchange automaticaly For example, how i can use ntbackup to backup IS to network path. If i will write correct comand, i will build a .bat file and then incert it to windows jobs. Thank for a help "Shurick" <Shurick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8009D82C-D699-47E0-BE0C-8814C2CDC813@microsoft.com... > Thank you for open this post. > > I Want to backup exchange automaticaly > For example, how i can use ntbackup to backup IS to network path. > If i will write correct comand, i will build a .bat...

VLOOKUP help again please.
I have also finished my workbook. Now I am stumped on another vlookup function. Since some people dont like to download the file I will explain it in words and attach some screenshots. I need to use VLOOKUP and the discount table on the sheet 3 to calculate the relevant discount rate for the discount rate column in sheet 4. I have attempted it as you see in the screenshot, but it returns #NA. I am not sure if this is because my function is wrong or the discount table is set up wrong (I have entered the values such as "21 to 50", and im not sure if excel recognises this means from 2...

Need better understanding of TRIM so I can get rid of trailing spa
I imported a listof names to creat labels. All columns have trailing spaces. I have imported some into Word then done a relace it worked but it was a not the right solution. I understand TRIM in Excel will get rid of Trailing spaces. The examples HELP gives is not clear to me. Please help me get rid of these trailing spaces. Tom Trim should work, Tom, but it's tough to say without seeing your data. What happens if you open the data directly from Excel? What format is it now? Any txt file opened from Excel should give you delimiter options. Are the number of trailing spaces always ...

Can an Excel file be converted into Visio?
Does anyone know if this is even possible? Is there a converter pack or a website that would illustrate this process? Thanks, Jim ...

How can I auto update a graph?
I was wondering if there is a way for me to auto update a chart that I am using. Lot's of ways. The usual is to use a defined name for the series with an offset formula to include row/columns use a defined name such as =offset($a$1,0,0,counta($a:$a),4). Go to these for more info http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ http://peltiertech.com/ -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Bigxcr" <Bigxcr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5FBD378B-A094-417B-8B16-F364D7F52E0B@microsoft.com... > I was wondering if there is a way for me to auto update a chart th...

Creating a summary list from source data
Don't know if or how one would do this but I thought I would ask for suggestions... In worksheet1 have a a list of expenses. col a= date col b= description col c= amount and col d = expense category (drop down list). Each row is a seperate expense. There are about 250 in total. It would be great if in worksheet2 I could list each expense category and then under each list all expenses that match that category and then lower in the sheet do the next and the next... etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Marty Hi! Assume: Sheet1 A1:D1 are the column headers: Date, ...

Distribution List Help
Hi, We are using Exchange 5.5. We have a distribution list called "jobs@xyz.com". E-mail address is available on our company website. Now, we are planning to change this address to something else. We want to send an auto-reply to all e-mails coming on "jobs@xyz.com" saying that "Please visit our website to find new e-mail address and re-send the message". One reason to do this way is, we want to stop spam e-mails coming on this address but we really want to get good e-mails. I hope I have made my case clear enogh. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kirtan...