Can You Count This Way?

I have some cells with note type data:

For ex:

ax,3b7,22,xy,zz,

Is there a way to count every item between the commas?

Thanks.
0
tw1255 (10)

Hi
try
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Timothy Wright wrote:
> I have some cells with note type data:
>
> For ex:
>
> ax,3b7,22,xy,zz,
>
> Is there a way to count every item between the commas?
>
> Thanks.
0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/19/2004 6:13:53 PM
On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>try
>=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0
>
>--
>Regards
>Frank Kabel
>Frankfurt, Germany

Um, that didn't work.  Maybe I should clarify.  If my cell looks like
this:  x26,zz,7,42b,22,949,xx, then I want to count each item between
the commas as a single unit.  So the answer for my example would be 7.

In your formula do I do anything with the (A1,",",""), or do I put it
in exactly as shown?

Thanks.

>Timothy Wright wrote:
>> I have some cells with note type data:
>>
>> For ex:
>>
>> ax,3b7,22,xy,zz,
>>
>> Is there a way to count every item between the commas?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
tw1255 (10)
5/19/2004 6:47:31 PM
Hi
just use the formula as posted (just change the cell reference A1
according to your needs)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Timothy Wright wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> try
>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> Um, that didn't work.  Maybe I should clarify.  If my cell looks like
> this:  x26,zz,7,42b,22,949,xx, then I want to count each item between
> the commas as a single unit.  So the answer for my example would be
7.

> In your formula do I do anything with the (A1,",",""), or do I put it
> in exactly as shown?
>
> Thanks.
>

>> Timothy Wright wrote:
>>> I have some cells with note type data:
>>>
>>> For ex:
>>>
>>> ax,3b7,22,xy,zz,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to count every item between the commas?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/19/2004 6:54:11 PM
Hi.  Sorry to be so obtuse, but I still can't get it to work.  It
always returns the error,  "value!

Thanks.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:54:11 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>just use the formula as posted (just change the cell reference A1
>according to your needs)
>
>--
>Regards
>Frank Kabel
>Frankfurt, Germany
>

>Timothy Wright wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
>> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> try
>>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> Frank Kabel
>>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> Um, that didn't work.  Maybe I should clarify.  If my cell looks like
>> this:  x26,zz,7,42b,22,949,xx, then I want to count each item between
>> the commas as a single unit.  So the answer for my example would be
>7.
>>
>> In your formula do I do anything with the (A1,",",""), or do I put it
>> in exactly as shown?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
tw1255 (10)
5/19/2004 9:57:23 PM
Try

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))

that would return 6 for your example, it basically counts the commas

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Timothy Wright" <tw1255@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Hi.  Sorry to be so obtuse, but I still can't get it to work.  It
> always returns the error,  "value!
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:54:11 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >just use the formula as posted (just change the cell reference A1
> >according to your needs)
> >
> >--
> >Regards
> >Frank Kabel
> >Frankfurt, Germany
> >

> >Timothy Wright wrote:

> >> Um, that didn't work.  Maybe I should clarify.  If my cell looks like
> >> this:  x26,zz,7,42b,22,949,xx, then I want to count each item between
> >> the commas as a single unit.  So the answer for my example would be
> >7.
> >>
> >> In your formula do I do anything with the (A1,",",""), or do I put it
> >> in exactly as shown?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

0
terre081 (3244)
5/19/2004 10:05:48 PM
Hi
sorry, missed a bracket. try

Timothy Wright wrote:
> Hi.  Sorry to be so obtuse, but I still can't get it to work.  It
> always returns the error,  "value!
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:54:11 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> just use the formula as posted (just change the cell reference A1
>> according to your needs)
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>> Timothy Wright wrote:

>>> Um, that didn't work.  Maybe I should clarify.  If my cell looks
>>> like this:  x26,zz,7,42b,22,949,xx, then I want to count each item
>>> between the commas as a single unit.  So the answer for my example
>>> would be 7.
>>>
>>> In your formula do I do anything with the (A1,",",""), or do I put
>>> it in exactly as shown?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/19/2004 10:35:17 PM
On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:05:48 -0400, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Try
>
>=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))
>
>that would return 6 for your example, it basically counts the commas

Hi
sorry, missed a bracket. try
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+LEN(A1)>0

All right now we're getting very close.  The first formula, like you
say, counts the commas, which is a workable solution.  The only thing
I need to do is make the formula add one more to the answer so I don't
have to enter a comma after the last entry.

Ex:  66,23,x7x,4x2,23u,

Adding a comma to the last entry works if I remember to do it.  How
would I change the formula so it adds one to the answer?

I still can't get the second formula to work.  This time it returns
"true."

Thanks.
0
tw1255 (10)
5/19/2004 11:09:52 PM
Hi
either use:
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+1

or

Timothy Wright wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:05:48 -0400, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Try
>>
>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))
>>
>> that would return 6 for your example, it basically counts the commas
>
> Hi
> sorry, missed a bracket. try
> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+LEN(A1)>0
>
> All right now we're getting very close.  The first formula, like you
> say, counts the commas, which is a workable solution.  The only thing
> I need to do is make the formula add one more to the answer so I
don't
> have to enter a comma after the last entry.
>
> Ex:  66,23,x7x,4x2,23u,
>
> Adding a comma to the last entry works if I remember to do it.  How
> would I change the formula so it adds one to the answer?
>
> I still can't get the second formula to work.  This time it returns
> "true."
>
> Thanks.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/19/2004 11:18:39 PM
On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:18:39 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>either use:
>=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+1

Thanks for the help you guys I appreciate it.  One more question and
I'll be out of your hair forever.  ;-)

What if there is nothing in the cell?  How do I make the answer come
up zero?

Thanks,

Timothy
0
tw1255 (10)
5/20/2004 12:47:47 AM
Try

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+ (LEN(A1)>0)

note the extra parenthesis around the last LEN, otherwise you'll get FALSE

--

> On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:18:39 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >either use:
> >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+1
>
> Thanks for the help you guys I appreciate it.  One more question and
> I'll be out of your hair forever.  ;-)
>
> What if there is nothing in the cell?  How do I make the answer come
> up zero?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Timothy

0
terre081 (3244)
5/20/2004 1:32:17 AM
Hi Peo
thanks for the correction :-)
Always forget these parenthesis

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Peo Sjoblom wrote:
> Try
>
> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+ (LEN(A1)>0)
>
> note the extra parenthesis around the last LEN, otherwise you'll get
> FALSE
>

> "Timothy Wright" <tw1255@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:18:39 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
>> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> either use:
>>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+1
>>
>> Thanks for the help you guys I appreciate it.  One more question and
>> I'll be out of your hair forever.  ;-)
>>
>> What if there is nothing in the cell?  How do I make the answer come
>> up zero?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Timothy

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/20/2004 7:03:59 AM
On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:03:59 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi Peo
>thanks for the correction :-)
>Always forget these parenthesis
>
>--
>Regards
>Frank Kabel
>Frankfurt, Germany
>

>Peo Sjoblom wrote:
>> Try
>>
>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+ (LEN(A1)>0)

OK, I finally got this formula to work.  What was happening is that
every time I would put this formula into a cell the whole formula
would show up in the cell instead of an answer.  I have no idea why it
works now and wouldn't work yesterday.  I'd copy and paste the formula
into the appropriate cell, change the relative cell reference numbers
and then instead of an answer the whole formula would show up in the
cell.  Very perplexing.

Thanks much for the help.

0
tw1255 (10)
5/20/2004 11:23:08 AM
Hi
reason for this could be that the cell was formated as 'Text'. change
this cell format to 'General' and re-enter the formula.
Another reason could be that in the dialog 'Tools - Options - View'
'Formula' was checked

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Timothy Wright wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:03:59 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
> <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Peo
>> thanks for the correction :-)
>> Always forget these parenthesis
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>

>> Peo Sjoblom wrote:
>>> Try
>>>
>>> =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))+ (LEN(A1)>0)
>
> OK, I finally got this formula to work.  What was happening is that
> every time I would put this formula into a cell the whole formula
> would show up in the cell instead of an answer.  I have no idea why
it
> works now and wouldn't work yesterday.  I'd copy and paste the
formula
> into the appropriate cell, change the relative cell reference numbers
> and then instead of an answer the whole formula would show up in the
> cell.  Very perplexing.
>
> Thanks much for the help.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

how can i make grafs for role call?

Can youp propagate changes to inserted text from file?
If you insert "text from file" in a document, but later make changes to the source file, can the changes to the source file be propagated to the document where you inserted the text? If you insert a link to the source file. Otherwise no. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>...

Syntax error I can see the forest but not the trees
I'm having a problem I can't see the trees from the forest. In the following SQL I added on the Job Sheet [Customer Name] and Me. [txtcompanyname] The SQL was working fine before the modification. It's proberbly very obvious to someone out there. I have been looking but just can't see it. Help SQLstrg = "INSERT INTO [Job Sheet] ([CustomerID],[Customer Name],[Start Date], [Notes])" & "VALUES(" & Me.[cboCustomer] & ", #" Me.[txtcompanyname] & "# ," & Chr(34)& Me.[txtDate] & "# ," & Chr(34) &...

How can I dock a toolbar to the rigth?
When I dock a toolbar to the top side of its parent window it is located to the left hand side by default (I explain what I say: the left top corner). What should I do to dock this toolbar to the rigth (right top corner)? See DockControlBar() in the MSDN a.. AFX_IDW_DOCKBAR_TOP Dock to the top side of the frame window. b.. AFX_IDW_DOCKBAR_BOTTOM Dock to the bottom side of the frame window. c.. AFX_IDW_DOCKBAR_LEFT Dock to the left side of the frame window. d.. AFX_IDW_DOCKBAR_RIGHT Dock to the right side of the frame window. M "txemuki" <txemasm@hotmail.com> w...

Can't connect a windows 7 computer
I have a brand new Dell server with SBS 2008. I have a brand new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro. On the laptop I run http://connect and go through the wizard until I press "Set up this computer for myself" whereupon I get the message "The computer does not meet the maximum operating system requirements for running client setup" Any advice please Many thanks - Anthony Have you installed SBS2008 Rollup 3 on the server? 969121 Description of Windows Small Business Server 2008 Update Rollup 3 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969121 ...

I can recieve not send emails even though the test message works..
I can not get the email to leave the outbox even thought test messages work. ...

Formula text count #2
I Have a list in a column that has a lot of tank numbers on a ship listed as the following: 1-1-2-V 1-1-3-V 1-1-2-F 1-1-2-F 1-1-2-J 1-1-2-F In another column, I have a list to identify whether the tank has been opened noted with a date if it has and blank if it hasn't. I'm trying to count the amount of V tanks that have been opened, J tanks that have been opened and so on. I need an if, ifcount, or vlookup formula that can do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Darrell, You can probably use a Pivot Table. Have it summarize the data in column A and the column in wh...

Is there a convenient way to save data
Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user variables all of which are ints. What is the best way to make theses variables persistent for a given user on a given machine? Thanks "Jeff B" <jb@nospan.net> wrote in message news:fpDif.10451$Ay6.2336@fe13.lga... > > Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last > selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user > variables all of which are ints. What is the best w...

How can I open a worksheet to a specific cell?
I have a public worksheet and people update as needed and just hit save, and the next user opens to the cell where it was last saved. How can I have the wooksheet save in any cell, and open in A1 the next time it is accessed? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module (right-click on the workbook title bar, choose View Code, paste the following in the window that opens, then click the XL icon on the toolbar t...

What's the best way to find out if user is currently using mailbox ?
on Exch2000Sp3, I go to Systems Manager and I see mydomain\certain user mailbox. Last logoff time = blank. As an example, I compare my logoff information: my Outlook is currently opened but my logoff time = 10/07/04, 9:00AM Are those info reliable indicators of current mailbox activity ? Please advise. If policy allows, examine the sent items folder. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%23LdPdMrEHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > on Exch2000Sp...

can anyone help with this error? #2
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:52:59 -0600 Reporting-MTA: dns; corp.2tsi.com Received-From-MTA: dns; localhost Arrival-Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:52:53 -0600 Final-Recipient: rfc822; tnicholson@3001inc.com Remote-MTA: dns; smtp-relay.2tsi.com Action: failed Status: 5.2.1 Diagnostic-Code: smtp; RCPT TO:<tnicholson@3001inc.com> 554 <tnicholson@3001inc.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied I think user haven't rights to send messages through SMTP Connector "Greg Siegel" wrote: > > > Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:52:59 -0600 > Reporting-MTA: dns; corp....

Can I add 2ft 7in plus 5ft 8in and get 8ft 3in as an an...
How can I enter and format the data in feet and inches and get an answer in the same units (without pre-converting everything to inches?) When I add the data, I do not want the answer in decimals. Just feet and inches. If you have your measurements formatted such that feet are in column A and inches are in column B, then try: =INT(SUM(A:A)+SUM(B:B)/12)&"'-"&ROUND(MOD(SUM(A:A)+SUM (B:B)/12,1)*12,0)&"""" Simply enter the numbers in col. A and B without adding ' or ". This formula assumes that the numbers in col. B are whole numbers...

can you tell me the difference between excel 2000 and excel 2003
can you tell me the difference between excel 2000 and excel 2003 Search the Microsoft Knowledge base for new features in XP and in 2003 http://www.support.microsoft.com/ for more complete information. The biggest difference that I have noticed on a daily basis is auto recovery. If there is a crash, Excel XP and 2003 will attempt to allow you to recover the workbook that you were working on. If you do probability, statistics, or simulations, then many algorithms are greatly improved. You have more flexibility in what you protect on a worksheet (for instance, you can protect formulas...

Why can't I find my posted questions???
-- Thank you for your help. FMW ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d8031704-3fc3-4cd8-a3f1-ee6721cb7c25&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc ...

Non-inventory item (Can we limit access to who can use this?)
Can you limit by access level on who can ring items up as a non-inventory item where you have to put in your own price? I want to be able to only let managers access that. Also, how can you bring up a report and have in the description field for the non-inventory item, what you wrote in there when you rang the person up? For instance we have item "000" as the non-inventory item code... the cashier uses this for now for items not in the new system and can edit the description and price at the time of purchase. When I try a sales report to see what was sold in a given period...thes...

How can I stop my 'tab' key from jumping multiple columns in Exce.
For some reason I skip about 10 columns when I press my tab key. It used to be where it only scrolled over 1 column. Does anyone know how to fix this? Jesse Tools>Options>Transition. Uncheck "transition navigation keys" and the two boxes below also unless you want Lotus emulation. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:32:09 -0700, "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For some reason I skip about 10 columns when I press my tab key. It used to >be where it only scrolled over 1 column. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Can't use Outlook2003 as admin
On a personal pc when logged in as admin cannot send or receive e-mail. But when I go into another user (as user, not admin) I can send and receive email. Any ideas? RandyBKC wrote: > On a personal pc when logged in as admin cannot send or receive e-mail. But > when I go into another user (as user, not admin) I can send and receive > email. Any ideas? Oh, "cannot send or receive". And that tells anyone else WHAT? How do YOU know that e-mails don't get sent or received? Any error messages? Since you are logging under a different Windows account, hav...

Can you make a series 2 bar the same in the chart?
My manager has a spreadsheet that he wants to make into a bar or column chart. I have done all of that and set it up. My problem is he wants the second bar to be the same all the way across for each month. How do I make each bar the same all the way across for each month? Do I have make a separate column for the figure that I need to pull from the spreadsheet in order for it to be the same for all the bars? I hope I am asking this correctly Yes, you should add another column of data and include that in the plot. Though I am not sure of the visual effect of adding a 2nd bar that is...

How can I pull Word data into Excel?
I need to insert data from a table in a Word document into an excel spreadsheet. The data in Word will be updated and I need those new numbers to update either when the Word doc is saved or when the excel spreadsheet is opened. Any ideas? I'm obviously not using the right words for help to know what I want. ...

Can't get rid of alternate row color
Howdy. I've got a number of subforms displaying in datasheet view. I want to get rid of the alternate row color scheme. I've set both the back color and alternate back color to the same value, but they still show in alternating colors. I changed the default alternate row color (through Access Options>Current Database) to be the same as the row color. In a new form, all rows are the same color. But forms created when the default back/alternate colors were different still show alternate colors. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Thanks. Hi Danny Look f...

can I work on Publisher docs on Mac OS X
I have a need to amend MS Publisher docs I receive on a Mac OS X computer. Is there anyway this can be achieved? Phil.T <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have a need to amend MS Publisher docs I receive on a Mac OS X > computer. Is there anyway this can be achieved? A suggestion I have heard: Export your Publisher file as an MHT file. Open them in Word 2004 on the Mac. Then to go in the other direction, save as a web page, and reopen in Publisher. If possible, though, I would recommend opening them in Publisher running under Virtual PC ...

Help, I can't resize chart legends on my axes or titles
I only have this problem on this machine. Things work fine on all others Running Office 2003 (SP2) on XP Pro (SP2) on an Inspiron 9300. When I enter text into chart legends, it gets clipped and when I click on the frame, Excel won't let me drag the frame wider. What could be causing this? If I copy the file to another computer and reopen, it's fine, everything works, but if I copy it back the problem immediately returns. I've run the update for Excel, I've updated my video drivers, nothing works. My apologies for taking up anyone's time. This problem has apparent...

Dividing a problem into parts and can't get the parts back togethe
I have three tables in a Master/Detail/Detail relationship. They are titled Label / Product / ProductPart. One Label can have one or more Products and each Product can have one or more ProductParts. The ProductParts have two attributes: Category and Application Number (productpart_category, productpart_app_no). Usually (95% of the time), the Category and Appliction Number is the same for all the ProductParts for a given Label. This makes it easy to return a result table (after a search of the 20,000 labels) like this: Label Id | Label Name (taken from Label table) | Category ...

Count occurences of "1"/"0" (or"TRUE"/"FALSE") in a row w. conditions in the next
Hi I am new here and have been snooping around some of the threads, yet not quite found the simple formula I expect to solve my problem. The closest matches seemed to advanced for my need, so I reckon and hope this will be an easy one for the more experienced members. What I'm looking for is a formula that will: Count occurences of "1"/"0" (or"TRUE"/"FALSE") in a column with similar conditions in the next column. Say A2:A21 contains 9 "0"s and the remaining 11 are "1"s, of which only 5 (the "1"s) appear on the same ...

Can Excel startup Word?
Since Excel and Word seem to be part of the same MS-Office software set, I assume that Excel can easily be used to open Word??? Just wondering if I can automate Word from the Excel application in any way. thank u Yo can do it this way: Sub test() Dim oWord As Object Dim oDoc As Object Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") oWord.Visible = True End Sub -- Regards! Stefi „Robert Crandal” ezt írta: > Since Excel and Word seem to be part of the same > MS-Office software set, I assume that Excel c...