Can you apply split colour formatting to the same cell?

Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split 
diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being 
white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up 
the cell background.

Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a 
department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing 
'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the 
cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in 
orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that 
makes sense!

Thanks for your help!

Gareth
0
Gazzypops (2)
1/18/2006 2:55:03 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
371 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

Maybe you could put a couple of triangles over the cell.

Then hide the borders and shade each triangle.

Gazzypops wrote:
> 
> Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split
> diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being
> white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up
> the cell background.
> 
> Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a
> department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing
> 'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the
> cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in
> orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that
> makes sense!
> 
> Thanks for your help!
> 
> Gareth

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
1/18/2006 3:41:07 PM
Hi David,

To a certain extent, this works but it prevents adding text into the cell 
itself (for the 'what is making me busy' element of the diary). I'll see if I 
can float the text on top of the coloured triangle....

Cheers,

Gareth

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Maybe you could put a couple of triangles over the cell.
> 
> Then hide the borders and shade each triangle.
> 
> Gazzypops wrote:
> > 
> > Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split
> > diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being
> > white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up
> > the cell background.
> > 
> > Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a
> > department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing
> > 'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the
> > cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in
> > orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that
> > makes sense!
> > 
> > Thanks for your help!
> > 
> > Gareth
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
Gazzypops (2)
1/18/2006 4:08:23 PM
You can have text appear within the triangle by selecting the triangle,
then clicking in the formula bar and entering the = sign followed by a
cell reference or defined name.  After hitting Enter the triangle will
display the contents of your referred cell or name.


-- 
Cutter
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=502463

0
1/18/2006 4:25:00 PM
Or just use the arrow keys to select that cell and type there.

Or edit|goto (or F5 or ctrl-g) to select that cell (just type in the address)
and type there.



Gazzypops wrote:
> 
> Hi David,
> 
> To a certain extent, this works but it prevents adding text into the cell
> itself (for the 'what is making me busy' element of the diary). I'll see if I
> can float the text on top of the coloured triangle....
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Gareth
> 
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> 
> > Maybe you could put a couple of triangles over the cell.
> >
> > Then hide the borders and shade each triangle.
> >
> > Gazzypops wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, I'm looking to apply more than one colour format to the same cell, split
> > > diagonally from right to left (one colour being orange, the other being
> > > white/uncoloured). I don't want stripes, just two blocks of colour making up
> > > the cell background.
> > >
> > > Slightly bizarre question, I know, but it's for a work diary for a
> > > department with colour representing 'busy' and white/uncoloured representing
> > > 'available'. As I'm busy for the first half of the day, I want to split the
> > > cell in half. At the moment I just have a diagonal line and the whole cell in
> > > orange, but wanted to make the 'pm' half of the cell to be clear. If that
> > > makes sense!
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > Gareth
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
1/18/2006 6:36:59 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: