Can't open many XLS files at once

I have Excel 2000 and Win XP pro.

I used to be able to highlight many XLS files in Explorer, right click, choose
open and all the highlighted files would open in Excel with the different xls
files on my task bar.

I can still do this on my W98 computer, but I can only open one file at a time
on my Win XP computer.  If I double click on a 2nd XLS file the 2nd XLS file
opens and the first file closes.

I tried the run excel.exe /regserv  fix but this did not solve the problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this for Win XP?

Thanks

Dennis

0
Dennis8944 (79)

Hi
maybe: Tools - Options - General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:
> I have Excel 2000 and Win XP pro.
>
> I used to be able to highlight many XLS files in Explorer, right
> click, choose open and all the highlighted files would open in Excel
> with the different xls files on my task bar.
>
> I can still do this on my W98 computer, but I can only open one file
> at a time on my Win XP computer.  If I double click on a 2nd XLS file
> the 2nd XLS file opens and the first file closes.
>
> I tried the run excel.exe /regserv  fix but this did not solve the
> problem.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this for Win XP?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dennis

0
frank.kabel (11126)
12/17/2004 8:02:44 PM
Hi Frank.

It's unchecked.

I compared every "Options" window selection of the WinXP computer with the
Win98SE computer and they are exactly the same.  However, as I stated before,
the Win98 computer will allow multiple XLS files to be loaded at the same time
and the WinXP will not.

It's frustrating!

Dennis

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:

>Hi
>maybe: Tools - Options - General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications'

0
Dennis8944 (79)
12/17/2004 10:47:44 PM
Dennis

In your first post you "I tried the run excel.exe /regserv fix but this did
not solve the problem."

Did you get any error message or any message at all?

Maybe a typo, but proper syntax is excel.exe /regserver

Also try  excel.exe /unregserver first then excel.exe /regserver

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:47:44 GMT, Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:

>Hi Frank.
>
>It's unchecked.
>
>I compared every "Options" window selection of the WinXP computer with the
>Win98SE computer and they are exactly the same.  However, as I stated before,
>the Win98 computer will allow multiple XLS files to be loaded at the same time
>and the WinXP will not.
>
>It's frustrating!
>
>Dennis
>
>"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>maybe: Tools - Options - General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications'

0
Gord
12/17/2004 11:46:58 PM
Are you sure that they're closing?

xl2002 added a windows in taskbar that allowed you to see all the open
workbooks/windows in the Windows taskbar.

Maybe you have all of the workbooks open, but the taskbar only shows the
activewindow.

If you click on window on the worksheet menubar, how many open workbooks do you
see.

If you see lots (and are running xl2k (or higher)), then
tools|options|View tab|check windows in taskbar.

--

Dave Peterson
0
Dave Peterson <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote:
>Maybe you have all of the workbooks open, but the taskbar only shows the
>activewindow.
No.  when I first bring Excel up there is a blank worksheet labeled book1.xls.
If I then use Explorer to go to the directory with XLS files and highlight two
or more files and then right click and choose "Open" nothing happens.  If I
choose only one XLS file and right click and click "open" it opens in Excel
immediately.  If I go and double click on another XLS file while the first one
is shown, the 2nd one appears immediately and the 1st one is shown on the task
bar.  That is two XLS files are now loaded

What I can't figure out is why one highlighted file will open in Excel but 2 or
more highlighted files will not load at the same time..that is nothing happens.

In Win98SE all highlighted files open in Excel and are shown on the task bar.

>If you see lots (and are running xl2k (or higher)), then
>tools|options|View tab|check windows in taskbar.

This option is checked

>Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:
>>
>> I have Excel 2000 and Win XP pro.
>>
>> I used to be able to highlight many XLS files in Explorer, right click, choose
>> open and all the highlighted files would open in Excel with the different xls
>> files on my task bar.
>>
>> I can still do this on my W98 computer, but I can only open one file at a time
>> on my Win XP computer.  If I double click on a 2nd XLS file the 2nd XLS file
>> opens and the first file closes.
>>
>> I tried the run excel.exe /regserv  fix but this did not solve the problem.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to fix this for Win XP?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dennis

0
Dennis8944 (79)
12/18/2004 6:21:11 PM
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>In your first post you "I tried the run excel.exe /regserv fix but this did
>not solve the problem."
>
>Did you get any error message or any message at all?

I made a typo above I should have typed regserver not regserv.

>Also try  excel.exe /unregserver first then excel.exe /regserver

I tried the unregserver and regserver but this did not solve the problem.  When
I run regserver it asks for my Excel 2000 SR1 CD and then runs the regserver
program when I give it the CD.

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:47:44 GMT, Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:
>
>>Hi Frank.
>>
>>It's unchecked.
>>
>>I compared every "Options" window selection of the WinXP computer with the
>>Win98SE computer and they are exactly the same.  However, as I stated before,
>>the Win98 computer will allow multiple XLS files to be loaded at the same time
>>and the WinXP will not.
>>
>>It's frustrating!
>>
>>Dennis
>>
>>"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>maybe: Tools - Options - General and uncheck 'Ignore other applications'

0
Dennis8944 (79)
12/18/2004 6:30:37 PM
Sorry, I don't have any other guess.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks anyway for your help.

Dennis

Dave Peterson <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I don't have any other guess.
>

>Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:
>>
>> Dave Peterson <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote:
>> >Maybe you have all of the workbooks open, but the taskbar only shows the
>> >activewindow.
>> No.  when I first bring Excel up there is a blank worksheet labeled book1.xls.
>> If I then use Explorer to go to the directory with XLS files and highlight two
>> or more files and then right click and choose "Open" nothing happens.  If I
>> choose only one XLS file and right click and click "open" it opens in Excel
>> immediately.  If I go and double click on another XLS file while the first one
>> is shown, the 2nd one appears immediately and the 1st one is shown on the task
>> bar.  That is two XLS files are now loaded
>>
>> What I can't figure out is why one highlighted file will open in Excel but 2 or
>> more highlighted files will not load at the same time..that is nothing happens.
>>
>> In Win98SE all highlighted files open in Excel and are shown on the task bar.
>>
>> >If you see lots (and are running xl2k (or higher)), then
>> >tools|options|View tab|check windows in taskbar.
>>
>> This option is checked

0
Dennis8944 (79)
12/18/2004 11:09:53 PM
If you find the problem, post back.  Then google will have it for the next
victim, er, user.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Actually it is a WinXP Register problem and not an Excel problem.

If you Google "can't open multiple files" you will find the answer.

In my case I installed the AVG Virus software(the free version) on my computer
recently.

This software made a registry entry in the folder.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

When I deleted the "AVG Antivir" key in this reg folder everything worked ok and
I was now able to open multiple files in Excel, Word, etc.

Some people had installed other programs that caused the same problem in this
folder. When they deleted the keys for their program in that folder everything
worked as it should.

Dennis@NoSpam.com wrote:

>I have Excel 2000 and Win XP pro.
>
>I used to be able to highlight many XLS files in Explorer, right click, choose
>open and all the highlighted files would open in Excel with the different xls
>files on my task bar.
>
>I can still do this on my W98 computer, but I can only open one file at a time
>on my Win XP computer.  If I double click on a 2nd XLS file the 2nd XLS file
>opens and the first file closes.
>
>I tried the run excel.exe /regserv  fix but this did not solve the problem.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this for Win XP?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dennis

0
Dennis8944 (79)

help with log file
Got a database in SQL2005 that is basically a download of a daily flat text files and creating tables from them. The log.ldf file is frikkin huge. It's over 146GB and I don't need this, I have storage issues. How do I shorten down this file and keep it small forever? Hi Rocketman Have you read about managing the transaction log in the Books Online? How big is your database? What recovery model are you in? What kinds of backups are you doing, and how frequently? If you are not in SIMPLE recovery, and you don't back up your log, it will continue to grow. Even...

Folders disappearing after compacting file cabinet
Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different folders because I've compacted my file cabinet. Anything with a file folder named with E or beyond gets dumped. A through D only remains. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks! Karen C. Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before this happened? "Karen C." <kcunningham @ iglou.com> wrote in message news:...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

Dump file corrupt
************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ Unable to read PsLoadedModuleList ************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ KdDebuggerData.KernBase < SystemRangeStart Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 ...

Network File lock not detected
We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and out of all day. I have a problem with one user's excel not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with other users not detecting the file is in use and displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read only or wait. Is there anything I can do in execel to fix that or is it a network issue. Running XP pro, office xp pro, and 2k server. From my experience, it is a network issue. They need to unlock the file because Excel cannot. Fixed it, Windows didn't have sp1 on it. For some reason it fixed the pr...

outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened
outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened how do i get it to do this? An answer would require knowing your Outlook version, mail account type, and connection type. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "newbiejw" <newbiejw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDBE10B5-2D8E-4684-99A8-C8C0F4FDC25F@microsoft.com... > outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened > how do i get it to do this? ...

How to update contacts in WLM via csv file?
I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list. I managed to get WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing. Now, I want to update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I exported from OE. However, the contacts import program just hangs and doesn't take. Do I need to delete the existing list first? If so, how do I do that? I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7 Are you logging in to Live services? It will say your profile name under the close X. -- Ron Sommer "Bumper21248" wrote in message news...

pst file might be corrupted
Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I tried to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway through the process and said that an error occured without specifying which error. Is there any other way to recover this pst file? Thks in advance. How big is the PST file? "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB884E0-7C9F-4064-936F-5065E257BB5B@microsoft.com... > Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I > tried > to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway ...

Cannot open PDF in OWA
Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by design or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Hi, Is this the errors you experience? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812935/en-us Leif "jeckert" <jeckert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBD8ED6D-233F-4F85-8048-B73427FE711E@microsoft.com... > Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by > design > or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Leif, No error is given. IE reports that the page is done...

to many formula
hi i have a worksheet with a lot of data on it column A contains the date column B contains an area column C contains the fault column D contain a quantity A B C D 1/4/04 stores damaged 10 7/4/04 bins rust 60 31/12/04 floor wet 100 what i want to do is return quantity for a date range(one week) once the week range is checked the area and fault are checked i could have 12 faults for one area there...

VBA to call file based on date
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with a VBA routine to check for the presence of a specific file. The file is saved on a dialy basis in the format "userfile_run_YYYYMMDD.xls" i am seeking help with a vb code that will check if today or any specified days report is generated. i guess excel can use the date format to read the specified location for the file. Thank you in advance for your help. .....Coming from Where I'm from. Dim sFile As String sFile = Dir("C:myPath\userfile_run_" & Format(Date,"yyyymmdd") & ".xls") If s...

Macro unhides personal.xls
This is my code, why does the first thing it does is unhide personal.xls. This code is in a module in personal.xls. Thanks Bill Sub CopyTest() ActiveWindow.Zoom = 75 Cells.Find(what:="Reference:").Activate ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Select ActiveCell.Copy MsgBox "Press the Enter key to continue" Application.OnKey "~", "'StartSub " & 0 & ",False'" Cells.Find(what:="Comments:").Activate ActiveCell.Select Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Choose A Range", Type:=8) Rng...

"The image file ___ is valid but ...."
"The image file ________ is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine." What does this message dialog mean on Win XP x64? It means that the program you're trying to run is 16-bit. There is NO 16-bit support in any 64-bit version of Windows. You'll need to run the application in a virtual machine running some earlier version of Windows. -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel <johnsuth@nospam.com.au> wrote in message news:c1.2c.3KklK9$0TP@PC1.BIGPOND.COM... > > "The image file ________ is valid but is...

Problem With Opening Attachments
For some reason, when I click on any attachment in received e-mails Microsoft Publisher opens and the attachments cannot be viewed. Does anybody know how to prevent this? It started just a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. Thanks in advance. ...

Is 2003 and open relay by default?
I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is also a fresh install. Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can I close it? no. by default it is closed to relaying "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d5b01c3d949$36fe2090$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our > company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is > also a fresh install. > > Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can &g...

Excel sheet (OLE object) sometimes open on the form sometimes in E
Hello there, I have an Excel sheet (OLE object in the table) on a form , I have setup the Property in "Auto Activate" as Double-Click , so when I double click the object the sheet open. But sometime the object appears on the form as an Excel Icon - then when I double click it open in Excel - that is what I want. But sometime it appears as a table of data and when I double click it open on the form - I want to avoid that and instead always have the sheet open in excel. Any idea? Many many thanks, Dan Hi Dan, By default, you can directly double click the OLE Ob...

print mass Powerpoint certificates from Excel file
I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail merge? In article <BFBA41AC-26D1-4B30-8C54-425C2E8A50F0@microsoft.com>, Go to Girl wrote: > I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a > PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail > merge? Not out of the box, but we have a commercial PowerPoint add-in that does exactly this. You can try out a fully functional demo to see if it meets your needs. Mo...

Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003
My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook 2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why 2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance to anyone who knows the solution. Alan. The only pro...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

Size mismatch between stm/edb files and mailboxes
I am puzzled! Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to reduce the size of the exchange database. The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb. If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes to approx 1.5 Gb. Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the store. So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!! The online maintanence is completing fine each night. Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any ...

Sync Money Files
I have a laptop and desktop, both running Money 07. I have been away from home for three months and have been keeping my expenses in Money on my laptop. My wife has been keeping our records on the desktop. My problem is how to combine the two files so that I have one set of money files. When I cease travelling, the notebook will not be used for Money work; but the desktop will. So I need to combine the two files. Are there any solutions? Thanks, John Reid There is no easy way to do this. There aren't even many hard ones. Have you already done this or are you only pondering a re...

"Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet throws "not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file" error.
Hi, I am trying to use "Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet to fetch "File Share Witness" property of CCR cluster. But when I run this command no "Exchange Management Shell" I am getting "The term 'Get- ClusterResource' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again." error. Any idea why I am getting this error? Do I need to add any "PSSnapin" via Add-PSSnapin cmdlet ? If so which one it is? Basically I am not able to run any of the cluster related GET cmdlets on Exchange Managem...

Opening page
How do I configure Outlook so that when it opens it displays immediately the weekly calendar? Thank you 'Tools|Options|Other|Advanced Options', set "Startup in this folder" to be "Calendar" Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "Jorge Bravo" <open@closed.com> wrote in message news:egO6toXKJHA.5904@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >...

Default Workgroup Information File
What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard? "I want to make this my default workgroup information file." & "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database." Does one of these apply this security to all databases? I noticed that it applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop. The security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network file. -- julostarr "julostarr" wrote: > What's the difference between the two following choices using Secu...

How to tell if folder item is file or folder?
Hi all. Now I am processing data in folders. I get a listing of folder contents and have to test to determine whether item is folder or file. I have this routine: strPath is previously set with valid data, strType is previously defined. Dim objDI As New System.IO.DirectoryInfo(strPath) For Each objFSI As System.IO.FileSystemInfo In objDI.GetFileSystemInfos() If objFSI.Attributes() And IO.FileAttributes.Directory Then strType = "Folder" Else strType = "File" End If Next My question is whether this is the...